Regrettable Food

Author
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
2003/07/23 15:52:06 (permalink)

Regrettable Food

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/

If you have never been to the Gallery of Regrettable Food you need to take the trip.

Mainy based on photos and recipies from 50's and 60's cookbooks and product pamphlets as well as the depression and war years.

Very interesting! Some of the captions themselves are unforgettable.

18 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13503
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/23 16:18:51 (permalink)
    Lone Star: Thanks for the fun website.

I noticed one for the Oscar Meyer BBQ with the packet inside. I recall my dad buying those and fixing it for lunch with fried cornbread. I really liked it at the time. Perhaps it was because I knew no better.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/23 16:20:08 (permalink)
    I have a lot of the cookbooks those pictures came from, The Better Homes and Garden series from the late 60's. It's a kick to go thru them looking at some of the improbable combinations, that while they look interesting from an artistic bent, I wouldn't want to taste.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/23 16:34:04 (permalink)
    I wish The Gobbler were still open! Click on "back to the institite" and look at the motel. I have a huge collection of weird food photos...cheese balls made to look like pineapples with olives and a real pineapple top, etc. I emailed the Lileks guy once, but he never responded.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/23 19:15:27 (permalink)
    Found both this and the "Food Writing" topics to be of much interest and the "Gallery of Regrettable Foods" website to which Lone Star provided us a link to be both of great interest and to offer great enjoyment. Only problem with that website is that I remember too well too many of the cookbooks and particulary of the product advertisements featured in it. Visiting it is like something else I do more and more frequently these days; go to a museum and realize I grew up with over half the items displayed in it. Both these forum topics and the website, tho, reminded me of recently having to handle the farm and home sale for and nursing home entry of an aged widowed cousin with no immediate family. She was a home ec teacher, a really great cook, and a person who loved to cook, experiment with foods & recipes, entertain, take food to shutins, etc. She had a number of cookbooks and quite a collection or recipes, a few of which I bought. Just wish I had bought more of them. The most interesting one I did buy was "The New Art", created by General Electric Kitchen Institute, price $1, published 1935. It features a wealth of recipes, some of which are familiar and some of which sound quite delicious, and all of which "read" better than the accompanying food photos "look". Most interesting in this little book are the photos of, articles re use of (really "introduction to the product" advertisements) for GE's new electric refrigerator, electric range, electric dishwasher (had no idea the dishwasher had been invented by 1935), and electric mixer. The title "The New Art" refers to "the new art of living electrically". Quite a fascinating little book. Another interesting little book I bought was "Famous Recipes from Old New Orleans", published by Godchaux Sugars, Inc. sometimes in the late 1930's. Although titled "Famous Recipes", it really contains more "household hints" than recipes.

More along the lines of the website, I bought three books published during period 1950 to 1953, "Successful Entertaining at Home" (which contains some recipes), "Complete Book of Interior Decorating", and "Secrets of Charm" to give to a little grand niece, age 7. When she gets a bit older thought she might find it interesting to compare these topics in her time with how they were some 50 to 60 years earlier. Not related at all to Roadfood, but also bought her two girls fiction novels published in the late 1910's, early 1920's. Boy, in fiction, have things changed during the last 90+ years, for the fiction/entertainment stories in these old books are nearly totally "moralilty tales". Fear we've gone about 360 degrees from that with most publications, even somewhat in kids' publications, these days.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4020
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/23 19:18:55 (permalink)
    Hilarious!
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/23 19:31:14 (permalink)
    Great fun site! Hate to admit it, but some of those photos of the meat dishes were shot at every dinner I had in the 50's and 60's. I never could figure out where my dad got those BBQ outfits...now I know.
    Wiseguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/25 02:57:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/

If you have never been to the Gallery of Regrettable Food you need to take the trip.

Mainy based on photos and recipies from 50's and 60's cookbooks and product pamphlets as well as the depression and war years.

Very interesting! Some of the captions themselves are unforgettable.

This is very funny.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13503
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/25 05:14:54 (permalink)
    Wiseguy: Believe it or not, my dad use to fix this (Oscar Mayer BBQ in a sack) for us and we considered it a treat. Dad would fry some cornbread and we enjoyed it. It was back in the early 50's. I have missed it and recently have looked for it. I guess it is not available anymore.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/25 08:43:08 (permalink)
    In the same vein (this website cites Lileks's "Regrettable Food" as an inspiration), I present you with "Weight Watchers recipe cards from 1974." The only way people lost weight on these recipes was because they couldn't gag them down. And please...make sure you see the "Frankfurter Spectacular." It is certainly something to behold.

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

Enjoy! Meowzart
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/25 10:00:34 (permalink)
    Thanks Meowzart! What a hoot!
    Lone Star
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/25 10:35:30 (permalink)
    That was disturbing. The props in the photographs looked like one of those home interior parties gone bad.
    Lone Star
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/25 10:39:11 (permalink)
    Sundancer - My mother used to make us a lunch dish of her own version of the BBQ weenies. Sliced hot dogs simmered in BBQ sauce, served with macaroni and cheese.

catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/25 11:39:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart

In the same vein (this website cites Lileks's "Regrettable Food" as an inspiration), I present you with "Weight Watchers recipe cards from 1974." The only way people lost weight on these recipes was because they couldn't gag them down. And please...make sure you see the "Frankfurter Spectacular." It is certainly something to behold.

Enjoy! Meowzart

Meowzart - I was aware of the regretable food website (and own a massive compendium cookbook that contains many of those photos; mysteriously, a sizeable portion of the recipes incorporated therein feature brazilnuts), but hadn't stumbled across this site. Awesome " />!

From one feline creature to another, THANX

Catosaurus
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/25 11:56:43 (permalink)
    Meowzart: Great fun! Love that frankfurter dish photo. It's the Michelin Man meets Oscar Mayer.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/25 13:40:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart

Enjoy! Meowzart

Those are great! I just bought a set of similar cards at a thrift shop just for the surreal photos. Someday when I get a scanner I'll set up a website for all that weird stuff I have. I particularly like it when they make faces out of cut-up vegetables or candy on scoops of ice cream. They can be really scary.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/25 15:03:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT
    Those are great! I just bought a set of similar cards at a thrift shop just for the surreal photos. Someday when I get a scanner I'll set up a website for all that weird stuff I have. I particularly like it when they make faces out of cut-up vegetables or candy on scoops of ice cream. They can be really scary.

I think the scariest card is the "Liver Paté en Masque". That yellow piggy bank type thing creeps me out. Not to mention you have to wonder about what kind of subliminal message the weight watchers are trying to send with this one. Is it like those awful "Holy Cow! Are You Eating Again?" magnets?

Greatly Disturbed,
    Meowzart
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/25 21:08:40 (permalink)
    Oh, my kingdom for a scanner! I dug out my cards and there is one where hot dogs are tied up standing in a circle like a crown roast of pork! There is a dish called CRUSTY SALMON SHORTCAKES (which is the color of Pepto-Bismol, because nothing sounds better than crusty salmon! There are cookies called Nurnbergers, which I guess are what you eat when you are on trial for war crimes.

Oh Yay! I found a photo of Crusty Salmon on the web!

www.sandisrecipecorner.com/recipe1104D.htm
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Regrettable Food 2003/07/25 21:26:53 (permalink)
    There is just NOTHING that cannot be found on the internet. More photos for your viewing pleasure:

www.sandisrecipecorner.com/recipe1045Q.htm

This site is in Japanese, but you can see some of the amazing children's party ideas from The Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library (1971). It will ask if you want to install the language thingy, but judt hit CANCEL and the photos will still come up.

www.seikatsuzakka.com/02/0529/o01/detail.html
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1