(Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Author
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/10/17 11:22:24 (permalink)
There is a lot of good eating to be had at Hyde Park Square, but none of it is pizza. I think the place across the street from 5/3 - am thinking the name is Indigo - does pretentious california style pizzas. Teller's also does some of these, sometimes, or at least they used to.

I'm not sure there is a NY style pizza anywhere near there

One fairly well reviewed pizza near you is at Dewey's at Oakley Square. Only about a mile away, not too bad of a walk, really.

Another one to try is one of the very few sell-by-the-slice places in Cincinnati, Lucy Blue's at Mt Lookout Square. They even have a NY-style ordering window that opens right onto the sidewalk, so you never have to leave the sidewalk to order a slice. i tired them during their openign week, was so-so, may have gotten better since then.

I think the closest thing we have to a nyc style pizza is at Pomidoris in Clifton and Montgomery, or at Betta's Italian Oven in Norwood.

Fratelli's in Westchester has gotten some press since it's recent opening as being authentic, but to be quite succinct: their pizza sucks. The crust is OK, the sauce is thin and bitter, and the toppings are scant.
ephus
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/10/20 20:27:11 (permalink)
yeah, i like dewey's... it's a do-able walk. but i usually just go and pick it up.

i called and got mios after reading this. and, well, it was pretty darn good -- as always.

i like indigo, but haven't tried one of their pizzas. i may do that sometime soon. i'll make sure to get a take-out menu next time and we'll see.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/10/20 20:44:24 (permalink)
The mio's thin crust traditional style is imho just as good as the stuffed pizza, and I think the stuffed pizza is improved if you ask for regular pizza sauce in place of the "marianara" sauce they use on the stuffed pizzas

Just once, pay 50 cents extra and get the sesame seed crust. I really like it, albeit 50 cents is steep for what little you get. Nonetheless, worth a single try.
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/11/18 15:22:55 (permalink)
A good place for pizza is in Hamilton, it's just a few miles from the Vietnamese restaurant that some of you have mentioned going to in Fairfiled, Saigon Dragon. it's called Chester's, on Rt 4 in Hamilton. Been there since I was kid and really outstanding. I think it is their only location.

carl reitz
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/11/19 01:32:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

A good place for pizza is in Hamilton, it's just a few miles from the Vietnamese restaurant that some of you have mentioned going to in Fairfiled, Saigon Dragon. it's called Chester's, on Rt 4 in Hamilton. Been there since I was kid and really outstanding. I think it is their only location.

carl reitz

I think they used to run commercials on local radio for this place a few years ago. I remember thinking that I needed to check it out, but never got around to it. I'm again thinking that I need to check it out.
carlton pierre
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/11/19 07:18:06 (permalink)
Chester's last name is DaDabo so he is very italian, Wallyum. I think you;ll like it. Whenever I go to Hamilton I come home with a pizza.
While you're there, you might want to check out Richards. Another mile beyond Chesters, on Rt 4 on the left. Excellent steak sandwiches, and pizzas. I always get a steak sandwich. Their specialty.

carl reitz
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/11/19 08:42:37 (permalink)
Last time I was at Chesters, it was indeed quite good.

Describe Richard's steak sandwich, if you don't mind.
carlton pierre
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/11/19 09:40:55 (permalink)
Richards steak sandwich is what I grew up thinking was a steak sandwich. A ground meat patty, rather elongated, covered in pizza sauce, or something akin to it, and cheese with mushrooms on a hoagie style bun. They're quite excellent and they ship them all over the country, you can order via internet, but not someone's idea of a steak sandwich if you grew up in the east.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/11/19 10:02:51 (permalink)
http://www.richardspizza.com/index.shtml

Ah, this is what I know (and have known for 35+ years) as a steak hoagie.

Couldn't find a nice "sandwich only closeup" pic, but this pic includes what appears to my eyes to be a standard steak hoagie...err, half of one :-)

The standard Steak Hoagie in Cincinnati are put together with an enlongated hamburger "steak" pattie covered with pizza sauce and mozzerella cheese topped with raw onion and pickles on a hoagie roll.

The most common variant, and this one is favored by my wife, replaces the pizza sauce with brown beef gravy.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1097
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/11/19 10:04:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Nice little article in[url='http://www.citybeat.com']Citybeat[/url] this past week on an assortment of non-chain pizza places in Greater Cincinnati.

http://www.citybeat.com/2004-10-06/diner.shtml

I really like the fact that Adriatico's and ZZ's did well, and that Fratelli's did poorly. I too did not finish my Fratelli pizza a few weeks back.....and that may be a first for me.

I didn't know that you had an Adriatico's in Cincy. Heck, maybe it was there first. But I love the one here in Columbus for the deep dish pizza. The review is right, the crust is very garlicy but it is really good and incredibly filling. I can eat maybe three pieces of it in one sitting if I'm really hungry. I usually just get pepperoni there. It's big (one piece per piece) but I also like their sausage as it is clearly not pre-made but is just torn into little chunks right before going into the oven.

The one here in Columbus has a special every Monday and Tuesday which is a large one topping for $10. That may not sound great but it is actually $3.50 off the regular price and a large can easily feed four people with some leftovers for breakfast (it's great cold).

One other good thing there is the breadsticks. It is one of the only places I can find that has nacho cheese sauce for the breadsticks. I grew up on this back in Indiana eating at the now closed Noble Romans chain. And I was surprised to find out after moving away from there that this is not a common dipping sauce for breadsticks. Most places just have marinara or maybe garlic butter.

Ok now I'm hungry.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/11/21 22:41:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04
I grew up on this back in Indiana eating at the now closed Noble Romans chain. And I was surprised to find out after moving away from there that this is not a common dipping sauce for breadsticks. Most places just have marinara or maybe garlic butter.

The Noble Roman's chain is no more? Bummer. That was one of the high points of any trip through Indiana for me. They never went over in Cincinnati (and cost us our Godfather's franchise,) but the difference between the Cincy/NKY Noble Roman's and the Indiana stores was like night and day.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/11/21 23:27:52 (permalink)
I didn't know there was/is an Adriatico's anywhere else, to be honest, I thought it was a one of a kind place here in Cincinnati.

http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/weekend/030201_weekend.html

I wish they had a website so we could compare, but I did a search and came up empty, other than the link above that gives it a mention.

The Adriatico's here is right on the University of Cincinnati campus, so most all of their business is UC students, and they are carryout and delivery only.

Wally, have you had a chance to try Pizzaville yet?

Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/11/22 01:15:23 (permalink)
quote:

While you're there, you might want to check out Richards. Another mile beyond Chesters, on Rt 4 on the left. Excellent steak sandwiches, and pizzas. I always get a steak sandwich. Their specialty.

carl reitz

Carl, Richard's has three locations. Besides the one on OH 4, there is one on Main Street (OH 129&177) between "E" and "F" Sts. on the west side of Hamilton (I grew up there, BTW), and earlier this year one opened in Trenton (west of Middletown) on the west side (855 W. Main St./OH 73).

As for Chester's, I thought they had a west side location as well, in the strip mall further west on Main St. (OH 177; by this time OH 129 has turned onto Millville Ave.) between Lawn Avenue and the Marathon (formerly Ashland, Chevron, and Gulf--the gas with guts!) gas station.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/11/23 01:28:48 (permalink)
quote:

Wally, have you had a chance to try Pizzaville yet?

No, but not because I've forgotten about it. I was going to suggest it on Saturday night this week, but my parents and my sister's family all were looking to get out also. We wound up at Betta's in Norwood, which is rapidly becoming one of my favorite stops. My son had a pizza, and while I love the crust, the rest of the pizza didn't impress me all that much this time. No matter. He liked it and was thrilled to have some left over to eat on Sunday.
I did try Papa Murphy's last week, just because I wanted to see how the process worked. I managed to feed the family for under $15, and the pizza wasn't bad. It cooked up a lot like some of the frozen pizzas of my youth, but the quality of the toppings elevated it to a level above frozen. I think the distance will keep it from being a regular stop on my Beechmont route, but we may return in the future.
ANFSCD, did you notice that IHOP is making a return to Beechmont? Hear anything about a return by Uno's?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/11/23 08:27:41 (permalink)
Return by Uno's is unlikely...

Have been watching the IHOP rise from the ashes of Bill Knapps. Wife loves pancakes, so its a sure stop at least one time to try.

Betta's - Love the crust, hate the sauce. ah well. I'm going to make an effort to get in to Pomidori's, Adriaticos, and/or Trottas in Westwood for a pie, will let you know how it goes. I also want to get the wife in to try the original Betta's in Mt Lookout.

I'm glad you reviewed Papa Murphy's...no need for us to try it now. Doesn't make sense to make a stop specifically for a pizza I still have to bake that in turn isn't much better than frozen.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/11/29 12:16:47 (permalink)
quote:

I grew up on this back in Indiana eating at the now closed Noble Romans chain. And I was surprised to find out after moving away from there that this is not a common dipping sauce for breadsticks. Most places just have marinara or maybe garlic butter.

quote:
Originally posted by Wallyum

The Noble Roman's chain is no more? Bummer. That was one of the high points of any trip through Indiana for me. They never went over in Cincinnati (and cost us our Godfather's franchise,) but the difference between the Cincy/NKY Noble Roman's and the Indiana stores was like night and day.

Are you two absolutely certain Noble Roman's is out of business?

I look at http://www.nobleromans.com/premier/premier_main.htm and http://www.nobleromans.com/ and it would seem that they think they are still in business, particularly with press releases like this one: http://www.columbusconventions.com/pr_nobles04.htm

I am all but certain they are gone from Cincinnati (they don't have a locator/locations link on the website) but I am not sure the whole chain is gone.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/11/30 02:23:45 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

I look at http://www.nobleromans.com/premier/premier_main.htm and http://www.nobleromans.com/ and it would seem that they think they are still in business, particularly with press releases like this one: http://www.columbusconventions.com/pr_nobles04.htm

I am all but certain they are gone from Cincinnati (they don't have a locator/locations link on the website) but I am not sure the whole chain is gone.

No, I just took what Hatteras said at face value. I haven't seen one in Indiana in quite a while, but I haven't really been looking either. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/11/30 02:25:33 (permalink)
quote:

I'm glad you reviewed Papa Murphy's...no need for us to try it now. Doesn't make sense to make a stop specifically for a pizza I still have to bake that in turn isn't much better than frozen.

No, it wasn't exactly a memorable culinary experience. Not bad, but not anything to get excited about.
lambertman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/12/01 18:43:08 (permalink)
You folks will be happy to know that Noble Roman's is not dead, though indeed it's gasping. There are a few locations left here in Indianapolis.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/12/02 08:24:41 (permalink)
How's the pizza there, Lambertman?
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1097
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/12/02 09:14:37 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, I just took what Hatteras said at face value. I haven't seen one in Indiana in quite a while, but I haven't really been looking either. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

To clarify, all of the ones in Bloomington are now closed. There was one left across from South high school but when I went there in October, it was now closed.
lambertman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/12/04 15:31:49 (permalink)
TJ, it's actually still pretty good. I get the works, and the sausage and pepperoni is very overpowering. The heavy meatiness is a good balance to the thin crust. (Although it becomes hard to handle when reheated. :) )
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/12/05 14:17:12 (permalink)
quote:

Friday at dinnertime, everyone in my household answered "PIZZA" when the time came for me to ask about dinner. I've been eyeing this new restaurant that has sprung up in one of the old Mio's locations since I noticed it a couple of months back. It's called Portobello's and as I mentioned, it's located in the old Mio's location in Mt. Carmel.
The local monthly coupon magazine this month included a coupon for Portabello's, 6.99 for a large one topping thin crust, so I and the 2 daughters (3yr4mo, 1y21mo) headed off to Portabello's to try it out.

The parking lot was empty at 1pm on Saturday, so we had the run of the place. The 3yr old picked a table, and I ordered up a 1/2 cheese 1/2 bacon and onion posthaste, with a small chicago style stuffed pizza as well to try. Heck I had a good coupon, no biggie :-)

Both pizzas came at the same time, which suprised me a lot. At Mio's, or any other place where you get a deep dish or stuffed, you're warned about the wait. Well, I found out why soon enough. Both pizzas were made from the same very thick, bready dough. The "thin" crust was nearly 3/4 of an inch thick, it was more like eating a dinner rool topped with pizza toppings than a pizza. The stuffed pizza, which should normally be made with a somewhat different dough and baked twice (once with just cheese, then again after the sauce is ladled on top) was made of the same dough, only more of it. Said another way, they made their "deep dish" the same way they made their thin crust, only used more dough and put on the sauce after the cheese for the chicago deep dish "look" without the deep dish taste.

I was also disappointed in the fact that there were very few toppings, not a lot of difference between the cheese side and the bacon/onion side, to be honest. The onions were also cut into very thin rings, which made them hard to chew

The sauce was good, nicely spiced, but rather thin.

Overall, I'd say this was a very disappointing stop.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2004/12/06 00:26:16 (permalink)
Must be something in the air over your way. ;-) We went to the new Mio's on Friday night at my insistence. (Everyone else wanted Portabello's.) Worst meal I've ever had in a Mio's. When we were first married, my wife and I would order takeout from the Ft. Thomas Mio's every couple of weeks and each get a sandwich with banana peppers. They were awesome! Friday night I decided to make lightning strike again and was sorely disappointed. The sandwich that we once loved has been reduced to a shadow of it's former self. It was kind of a tasteless blob, with onions even though I had asked for them to be left off. I'd also ordered a Caesar salad, (watching my figure,) and that was also an experience. I've never had a Caesar with salad dressing that tasted sweet. My wife and kids (+1) all got pizza, which was as good as I've come to expect. From now on I stick with pizza in a pizza place. (And to think I passed on a stuffed pizza for that mess.)
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/01/07 09:05:33 (permalink)
quote:

I finally got up to Richard's for a steak sandwich yesterday, and I concur with you wholeheartedly. Great recommendation. Huge and tasty, loaded with onions, wonderful. The roll was toasted, has a nice crusty bite to it with soft innards. The garlic butter added a certain something, very nice.

I tried a small pizza as well, found it to be passable, nothing nearly as good as the steak sandwich.

Going to have to get me another Richard's fix soon, thanks for addicting me! :-)

quote:

Richards steak sandwich is what I grew up thinking was a steak sandwich. A ground meat patty, rather elongated, covered in pizza sauce, or something akin to it, and cheese with mushrooms on a hoagie style bun.
Mushrooms and cheese are (as the menu says) both extra. I tried it with cheese but no mushrooms. If you order the standard sandwich, the sauce is a steak sauce, but you can specifcy pizza sauce. The sauce on the small pizza I also tried was fairly unremarkable, so I'd always go with the steak sauce on this sandwich.

Lord, I've never seen so much sliced onion on a sandwich :-)
Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/01/11 13:42:58 (permalink)
Another franchise I wish would return to Cincy is Godfather's. I grew up in the Surrey Square shop playing the KISS pinball machine after shopping at Record Theatre.

Great semi-deep dish crust with unique sauce and 'pebble style' sausage.

With LaRosa's at an all-time low point, maybe it's time for a comeback.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/01/11 14:02:11 (permalink)
I think Godfather's was bought out and closed forever.....resurrection not possible, as I understand the matter
Alco251
Hamburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/01/11 14:25:38 (permalink)
Nope, they are alive and well. A search on their website shows 60 locations within 200 miles (closest is 67 miles). I go to the Danville KY store when I am down that way.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/01/11 14:47:40 (permalink)
Hmm, how odd
Alco251
Hamburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/01/11 15:42:17 (permalink)
A number of regional chains gave up on the area during the Little Caeser's/Dominos onslaught of the 80's. The resurgence of quality over price began with Snappy Tomato and allowed Papa John's and Donato's a foothold. I just hope everyone can ride out the Atkins nightmare, I love the variety of pizzas available here.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1