(Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Author
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4609
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/01/11 15:49:29 (permalink)
How is Pizza Magia - a chain I see advertised in NKY, but with no presence on the other side of the river - quality and value-wise?
Alco251
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/01/11 17:43:16 (permalink)
They pulled out of my location (Edgewood/Erlanger) over a year ago, and were quickly replaced by a Roly-Poly. They were OK, but were in a saturated market with not enough to differentiate from similar Snappy/Papa John products.

The only one left according to their website is Delhi.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/01/11 23:21:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

How is Pizza Magia - a chain I see advertised in NKY, but with no presence on the other side of the river - quality and value-wise?

Skip it. You won't be missing anything. One of the worst to come along since Little Caesars.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/01/11 23:24:21 (permalink)
quote:

I think Godfather's was bought out and closed forever.....resurrection not possible, as I understand the matter

Godfather's was bought out by Noble Roman's in the Cincinnati market in the mid-80's. I don't know that there is anything other than establishing another foothold in the area to stop them from trying again, but there may have been an agreement in the deal to get out and stay out. Noble Roman's didn't last long around here.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/01/11 23:30:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Alco251

Another franchise I wish would return to Cincy is Godfather's. I grew up in the Surrey Square shop playing the KISS pinball machine after shopping at Record Theatre.

One of the girls I worked with at the Newport Godfather's was transferred to the Norwood location in the early 80's. We'd stop in and visit her when we made our frequent trips to Record Theatre. The rule of thumb in the Norwood store was to never sit anything down on a counter without a lid because the roaches would come out to investigate. Something in that plaza had attracted them and they were hell to get out.
I can't say I miss the Norwood Godfather's. Record Theatre is another matter entirely. I'd go up every week on Double Stamp Day and make my purchases. I got to know the people who worked there fairly well and was treated very well on Double Stamp Day. A big part of my current cd collection came as Record Theatre stamp book freebies.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/01/14 16:56:54 (permalink)
Hey Jim McKee, Wally:

Have you two run across the new pizza buffet place in Eastgate called Cici's, and if so, what did you think?
Alco251
Hamburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/01/14 22:09:25 (permalink)
quote:

Hey Jim McKee, Wally:

Have you two run across the new pizza buffet place in Eastgate called Cici's, and if so, what did you think?

I have been to the Finneytown location several times. The pizza is utterly generic, but they always have 10+ varieties on hand and will make specials on request. They are an awesome value in the world of $14 medium pizzas; $6 gets you salad bar, pasta, breadsticks, pizzas, desserts and drink, $1 less for kids.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/01/17 15:57:10 (permalink)
quote:

Hey Jim McKee, Wally:

I've seen it, but we're a little leery of buffets. I might try it myself one night, maybe with my son, but I'll wait to subject the rest of the family to it.
macs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/02 11:12:17 (permalink)
for the pizza entusiasts here in cincinnati keep an eye out for a place called macs. will be in clifton in few months.

nothing like anything currently available in cincy.
macs
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/02 11:25:25 (permalink)
zz's is closed for those inquiring, tom and bill are having a go at retirement, biz is for sale-pizza was very good though

zinos in covington is also closed, as a former employee i was excited to go try my old zinover, it was horrible as was everything we had that night. down under is there now-good luck.

per other comments i have seen,
chesters-great for those in hamilton, great crust but real greasy
indigo-overpriced even if i can see the "chefs"
mios-always good but not spectacular and atmosphere is lacking
cici-bland but still a great deal, great for groups and quick
pizza magia-argh
deweys-tasts like carnival ccruise ship pizza to be, all those ingredients and still no buffalo?
pizza tower-service was so bad i left
larosas-price hike is making it hard to justify going back, but i will
noble roman-ok
pizzaville-how does lenny do it?, odd decor, ok pizza, but i love the calzones for some reason
pizza hut-while interviewing i have noticed the highest concertration of derelicts have prervious pizza hut experience-go figure
sorrentos-great atmosphere, but pizza is not good
portobellos-per wallyum it appears i need to go check it out
adriaticos-great, ecpecially after a UC game, but no dine-in
lucy blue-not good dont bother at all
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/02 12:51:37 (permalink)
Wow, macs, sounds like you have really had a go at east side and nky pizza joints.

(oh, and welcome to the board, always good to see another Cincinnatian around)

Odd (given your already extensive list) that you didn't also mention

Snappy Tomato
Cassano's Pizza King
Angilo's
Pasquale's
Pomidori
Costantini's in Milford
Gramma's
Papa Dino's

I'd be very interested in your view on Trotta's in Western Hills as well

Where did you find a Noble Roman's in Cininnati?
macs
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/02 14:43:37 (permalink)
here we go...
snappy tomato-rookie stuff-used to get "the beast" all the time before i grew up....but still much better than p hut dominos and little ceasars

cassanos-again also OK, ironically I have been considering using their commissary in dayton for dough although I really really beleive in making it in house daily and will likely do so.

angilos-possibly the worst i have had, well the figaros in mount lookout did taste like cardboard. I did look atr the old angilos in clifton for a possible location, bad layout. I have heard there may be mob involvement-that does not affect the pizza it is still terrible but an odd thing nonetheless.

pasquales-i know very little here, but i have heard good things

pomidori-clifton-my first memory is that they produce was noticibly fresher, ie the jalepenos were bright, hot, and crispy. woodfired is always nice. pricy still. not sure how slice sales have been for them

costanini-again i know nothing

grammas-again i know nothing and am starting to be concerned

papa dinos-greasy, but if i find myself drunk in clifton at 3am (rare if ever) i will call. I tried to rent a place from a guy that is related to the owner and used to work there and he was CRAZY andas of now I will never go back-I mean crazy AND impolite..oh, and racist.
i do not care what color you are, your money is green.

trottas-i know nothing, but my fiancee and family are west siders perhaps i will suggest we go there and give it try. I will say i heard about it from some guy i have never met, thatll get em going.

as for noble romans i did not have it here.
2 favorites
wicks in louisville
myles in bowling green ohio
if you are ever in either place you should try them

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/02 15:36:25 (permalink)
Great input...:-)

Looking forward to trying Mac's. Can you be more precise about the location in Clifton, and give us an approximate opening date?

Oh...and Trotta's is carryout only. It's a beverage drive through that also does pizza by the pie and by the slice.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/02 23:07:55 (permalink)
quote:

Where did you find a Noble Roman's in Cininnati?

Up off of Tylersville Road is a place called the Dented Silo Pub. It's on the left hand side as you head east. (?) If you look at it as you pass, they have a Noble Roman's pizza sign on one half of the building. I'm up that way a lot, but I've never seen anything going on there, so I'm thinking it's an artifact of a bygone age.
Just thought I'd toss that in.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/02 23:12:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by macs

grammas-again i know nothing and am starting to be concerned

2 favorites
wicks in louisville
myles in bowling green ohio
if you are ever in either place you should try them

As for Grammas, we discovered it last year when my daughter got a sudden urge to see a drive in movie. We called some friends who live out to the north of there about as far as we live to the south and arranged to meet at the Starlite out on SR 125. We stopped at Grammas and were pretty pleasantly surprised at the pizza. The place isn't much to look at, but we'll definitely try it again when we go drive-inning again.

As for the Louisville selection, I've had only Bearno's, which I liked. I'll give Wick's a look. What part of town is it in?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/02 23:28:08 (permalink)
Wally - is Ft Thomas Pizza an eat in facility?

also, is it family friendly? (2 year old and 3.5 year old)
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/02 23:35:34 (permalink)
quote:

Wally - is Ft Thomas Pizza an eat in facility?

also, is it family friendly? (2 year old and 3.5 year old)

Yes. It's located in an old building on the south side of town. it once housed a nice restaurant called Lyon's Grille, and they've only made minor changes to the decor. Two nice sized rooms, but my kids are 11 and 14, so I'm a little rusty on what constitutes "family friendly". (Food in great quantities at this age.) Nothing breakable around that I remember. They have an open door to the kitchen, so the kids can't wander, but we always had great luck keeping our kids busy with crayons. (I can't tell you how many games of tic-tac-toe that I played on the back of LaRosa's placemats. Lost most of them too.) When are you planning the trip?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/02 23:41:10 (permalink)
Not sure, Wally, but your comments regarding the place have been intriguing....and the wife always likes going to Kentucky, having grown up there.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/02 23:45:17 (permalink)
quote:

zinos in covington is also closed, as a former employee i was excited to go try my old zinover, it was horrible as was everything we had that night. down under is there now-good luck.

pizzaville-how does lenny do it?, odd decor, ok pizza, but i love the calzones for some reason

We tried to find Zino's one night last winter, but came up empty. My wife and I had our first date at the Clifton location and as a kid, the Hyde Park Zino's was the first place I was ever allowed to order a pizza "ALL TO MYSELF!" Sorry to hear they didn't make a good go at it.

Ooh! Calzones at Pizzaville? I missed these on the menu! Now I have an excuse to go back.
Another place that you didn't mention is Chicago's Pizza in Fairfield. We tried it on my birthday one year and thought it was pretty good. It would normally be a long drive for us, but we happened to be in the neighborhood and it came highly recommended. We were most impressed by the pepperoni sticks. Great with a cold beer.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/02 23:48:35 (permalink)
quote:

Not sure, Wally, but your comments regarding the place have been intriguing....and the wife always likes going to Kentucky, having grown up there.

Well, I hope they don't disappoint. Sometimes I think that my overriding love (lust) for pizza causes me to think "GREAT" in situations where "fair" would be a more apt phrase. Then again, having eaten there for 20+ years, I noticed a definite improvement in the last two weekends. Not Giordano's, but not Pizza Magia either.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/03 08:40:54 (permalink)
I have only been to Old Chicago for the lunch buffet, twice in total, the two occasions being seperated by years. Mind you, I work only a couple of miles from there....

First time, it was not good.

Second time, it was bad...had hoped things would change.
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/03 09:01:18 (permalink)
Wow, too bad about Zino's. One of my first dates with my wife was at Zino's, I guess in Clifton, what used to be a former firehouse. That was a few too many years ago.
macs
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/03 09:06:36 (permalink)
you guys keep busy:)

i did ask my soon to be about trottas and we will likely stop by this weekend as we will be working on wedding stuff at parents, i guess it will only be to take home though...but well give it a go

as for location, we actually looked at old zinos in clifton recently and it is architecturaly superior but also expensive for area at current, kitchen is gone, vents remain, tennent moving soon but too much to invest to return to restaurant. I worked at the HP location and loved almost everything about it. I was also saddened that the covington location did not make it. After eating there it was made clear by taste that all that had happened was that someone paid to use the name and maybe made a phone call or 2 as to how to make a zinover, but did not practice much. Hard to find, expensive and bad.
When i found out about it i got some old buddies together to go out for guys lunch...saturday at 1pm.....CLOSED-and this was 1 month after opening...who is closed at 1 on saturday??? we had to goto jack quinns

We are close to signing lease agreements-will post later, dont want to jinx

as for wicks in louisville (bearnos is good to but not as)
they have 4 but you will definatly want to goto the location at baxter and bardstown (they call it the highlands area)
you will be impressed, i promise

Pizzaville/lenny...yes the calzones are my favorite there, as we all know it is the same ingredients but..??
I do not know if they are on menu or not but if you go there get them instead of the pizza. Get 2 or 3
Alco251
Hamburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/03 11:46:16 (permalink)
I would like to throw my Northern Kentucky vote to Garzellis. Their pizza is nothing special, but I go for the grinders and calzones, which are awesome and a good value as well. The Edgewood location is always packed with families. The only downside is, being in Kentucky, there can be a LOT of smoking.

They also have a location in Florence and just opened one on Beechmont.
Alco251
Hamburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/03 11:54:15 (permalink)
Forgot to mention, for 40-50 year old (now) east-siders, there was no cooler place than Zino's for a date. My college sweetie and I went at least twice a week and thought we were <so> cool and sophisticated.

Our favorite thing was to sit upstairs in Clifton and make jokes about the folksy quitar player while munching on our fancy salads, French onion soups and Zinovers.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/03 12:02:17 (permalink)
The Beechmont location has been there at least 4 years.....
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1193
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/03 13:18:24 (permalink)
quote:

Hey Jim McKee, Wally:

I haven't tried it yet, but a foodie in my office has tried the one in TriCounty and says it's really pretty good for what it is. Pizza buffet, nice variety of toppings, drink, etc.

I'll try it soon myself.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1193
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/03 13:21:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

Wow, too bad about Zino's. One of my first dates with my wife was at Zino's, I guess in Clifton, what used to be a former firehouse. That was a few too many years ago.

I loved that place...had a few dates there myself.......

*eyes glazed in middle-aged romantic reverie*
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/03 23:23:11 (permalink)
quote:

I have only been to Old Chicago for the lunch buffet, twice in total, the two occasions being seperated by years. Mind you, I work only a couple of miles from there....

First time, it was not good.

Second time, it was bad...had hoped things would change.

I avoid buffets on principle. Not the best way to judge a place. That's why I haven't tried CiCi's. My brother and I made the mistake of eating in a Godfather's Pizza buffet in Charlotte years ago. Unbelievably bad, and I'm normally a big fan. I think this goes back to my childhood. My grandparents enjoyed buffets, and one year on my 22nd birthday we went to one in Florence, KY. The health department closed them the next week.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/03 23:25:25 (permalink)
quote:

Pizzaville/lenny...yes the calzones are my favorite there, as we all know it is the same ingredients but..??
I do not know if they are on menu or not but if you go there get them instead of the pizza. Get 2 or 3

Oh, you've seen me eat before.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1