(Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/03 23:33:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

Wow, too bad about Zino's. One of my first dates with my wife was at Zino's, I guess in Clifton, what used to be a former firehouse. That was a few too many years ago.

I loved that place...had a few dates there myself.......

*eyes glazed in middle-aged romantic reverie*

My eyes were glazed on our first date also. I had spent the day playing basketball in a tournament at NKU, went home, showered, dressed, died a thousand deaths as my ex-girlfriend and her friends delivered me a singing telegram for Valentine's Day, went to church, picked up my date (and current wife,) took her to a movie that I had heard was good but that featured an uncomfortable amount of nudity, met some friends at Zino's, drank a Long Island Iced Tea, and suddenly found myself chasing an olive around the table with a fork. When I looked up, everyone was looking at me like I had made a complete fool of myself, which was quite a coincidence because I HAD. My wife and I didn't see each other again until June at a wedding, when I was able to convince her that I wasn't always a lightweight drunk and a fool. (Under normal circumstances I could hold my liquor. ) She also thought I looked pretty good in the tux.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4595
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/02/25 08:58:35 (permalink)
macs: do you have a projected approximate month you'll be opening?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/13 16:03:12 (permalink)
bumped to get macs' attention :-)
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/19 15:02:38 (permalink)
Had my first sampling of the pizza at Queen City Pizza on Queen City Ave, natch) late last night after visiting with my brother, his wife, and my newly born nephew at Good Samaritan Hospital.

6.45 for a large pizza, no coupon, wow, nice price. Asked for their thinnest crust, which was indeed quite thin, with no toppings - I prefer to get a cheese only pizza at a new place, to get a sense for the basic pizza itself.

One disappointment immediately - the pizza is done on a conveyor oven. I've heard it said before that pizza done this way for whatever reason doesn't seem to be as good. I tend to like my pizza from a traditional oven better as well, althought I can't really pinpoint why.

The pizza emerges on the conveyor at a point you can watch easily from the order counter, and it was still quite white on top, so I asked them to slide it back in for a few more minutes, which they did. The top got as a result a good amount of brownness to it, which was good.

The cheese was good and fresh, and there was plenty of it, maybe even a bit too much. Sometimes, when you order a cheese pizza, pizza places in Cincinnati (maybe elsewhere as well, I dunno) tend to put on more cheese than they might normally have added because they realy on toppings to do some of the coverage. Pretty sure that was the case here. The browned parts were extra tasty.

The sauce was excellent - fairly mild, not sweet, with good tomato and spice flavor plus a noteable amount of garlic, which I like a lot. They advertise openly that they make their sauce fresh every day, and I think it showed here. One minor quible with the sauce was that it was a bit saltier than one might like - I found myself needing a drink close a hand while eating.

The crust was the weak link. It was good but not crunchy around the edges, but the bottom has little or no browning and the middle was not fully cooked, despite the aforementioned added oven time. The resulting pieces had to be handled carefully, as they were quite flimsy.

The left overs the next day were quite good cold.
wesleyman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/21 11:48:52 (permalink)
Have not tried Portabello's yet, but hope too soon. Had Mio's last week. Very good. We go to the Mt Washington location about once a month and is always good.

Suprisingly, as a Mt Washington resident I have never had Pizzaville. My wife says the place looks "scary" so we never try it. Maybe Ill convince her this week to try it. Into Great Taste.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/21 13:12:35 (permalink)
double woo and welcome, wesleyman!

I too live in Mt Washington, in the Deliquia subdivision.

Nothing scary about Pizzaville except how does he manage to stay in business? Tell Len (the owner and sole employee) Tom Jackson sent you :-)
wesleyman
Hamburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/21 18:44:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

double woo and welcome, wesleyman!

I too live in Mt Washington, in the Deliquia subdivision.

Nothing scary about Pizzaville except how does he manage to stay in business? Tell Len (the owner and sole employee) Tom Jackson sent you :-)

Thanks for the welcome. I too live in the deliquia subdivision! Small world. I'll check out Pizzaville as soon as I can convince my wife.

Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/21 20:09:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wesleyman

Have not tried Portabello's yet, but hope too soon. Had Mio's last week. Very good. We go to the Mt Washington location about once a month and is always good.

Suprisingly, as a Mt Washington resident I have never had Pizzaville. My wife says the place looks "scary" so we never try it. Maybe Ill convince her this week to try it. Into Great Taste.

I wouldn't call it scary. It's very "small town", which in the pizza world is often entertaining. The Beatles and Looney Tunes decorations give it a funky feeling. The only thing that I wasn't thrilled about was the obvious cigarette smoke, but I think I'm just getting spoiled by all of the places that have banned smoking.
wesleyman
Hamburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/21 21:06:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Wallyum

quote:

I wouldn't call it scary. It's very "small town", which in the pizza world is often entertaining. The Beatles and Looney Tunes decorations give it a funky feeling. The only thing that I wasn't thrilled about was the obvious cigarette smoke, but I think I'm just getting spoiled by all of the places that have banned smoking.

My wife thinks anything different is scary. She is pretty set in her ways and not too interested in trying new food. I'd like to go there because it is "small town" rather support them than the big guys. Wallyum are you a Mt washingtoner too?
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/21 22:49:31 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

My wife thinks anything different is scary. She is pretty set in her ways and not too interested in trying new food. I'd like to go there because it is "small town" rather support them than the big guys. Wallyum are you a Mt washingtoner too?

No, I'm a Ft. Thomaser, but we tend to eat over that way on a fairly regular basis. I also work right down the hill from you.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/25 21:54:56 (permalink)
I picked up another pizza from Queen City Pizza today

I think the sauce is great, but the overall pizza is very, very salty to the point where it distracts form the taste. It gets more noticeable the more of it you eat, less so on the first slice.

The crust also does not get crisped enough in the conveyor oven, even when i have then out it back in few a few more mins in the oven.

The search for great Cincinnati pizza goes on.....
macs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/28 14:19:19 (permalink)
whats up folks, clifton location did not work, have 2 options for now we are working on....question for the masses

I recently got the recipe for the old barrel house pizza dough made with their red legg ale, anyone remember their pizza?

good? bad? indifferent?

opinions on dough made with beer/local beer?

I just spend tens of thousands of dollars on equipment and have all recipes figured out but still batteling with the decision over frozen/fresh dough and what recipe to use. I clarified the decision to go with fresh by buying a large mixer ($$$) and auto-dough roller
(also$$$)
So fresh it is....who can give me the best recipes to try...?
Certainly a matter of great concern.

Anyone make it to the NAPICS in columbus ?
(north american pizza and ice cream show)
It was truly fascinating for the pizza consumer, next year look in february again. sites like pizzatoday.com or pmq.com can give info.

macs
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/28 14:22:56 (permalink)
got married in jackson hole wyoming last week on saint patricks day.

pizza in wyoming is not good, anyone want to make some jack and has some desire to live in a ski town, go there, competition is very limited:)

any replies on dough recipes is appreciated, peace
macs
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/28 14:29:06 (permalink)
competition drives industry.
as for pizzaville (lenny)
you guys really need to go see him, unique is not the word, and decor is not his fortee. Get the calzones, i order 2 to 3 at a time. just dont get him talking about larosas or that london bridge bar (if it's still there)
his prices are fine, especially the calzones
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/28 18:21:29 (permalink)
hey macs, long time no see

congrats on the nuptials :-)

so if the deal for the commercial space in Clifton fell through, where are you setting up shop at?

Think about uptown Cincinnati, 10th street or so, no good pizza down here

Sorry, won't be going to any industry shows, and know nothing about commercial pizza doughs....

Never had pizza at Barrel House either...damn, I am of no use to do whatsoever except as a potential customer :-)
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/28 20:04:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by macs

competition drives industry.
as for pizzaville (lenny)
you guys really need to go see him, unique is not the word, and decor is not his fortee. Get the calzones, i order 2 to 3 at a time. just dont get him talking about larosas or that london bridge bar (if it's still there)
his prices are fine, especially the calzones

I can imagine what he thinks of LaRosa's, but what's his view on London Bridge?
I thought his prices were fine. He even took a portion off the top for me as if I had a coupon.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/28 21:01:56 (permalink)
Never been in the London Bridge, seems like a very seedy place.

I never see anyone go in or come out, ever, in 7 years in Mt Washington.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/28 23:49:15 (permalink)
quote:

Never been in the London Bridge, seems like a very seedy place.

I never see anyone go in or come out, ever, in 7 years in Mt Washington.

A few years back a place like this would have drawn me like a moth to a streetlamp. My favorite bar in Mt. Washington got torn down for the Krogers. I got pulled over on the way home from there once and the cop was pissed to find that I hadn't been drinking at all. Mingles, maybe?
macs
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/29 08:45:40 (permalink)
i remember the bar on the corner, but not the name.

london bridge is just a bar, lenny complains about the noise and the drunks out back....go figure

barrel house was good pizza, actually most of their stuff was good except service from what i hear. As for 10th street pizza, i had harrys the other day (1207 main) and it was fine...just fine.
We have thought long and hard about downtown and or main but just seems too risky. Never say never though. Two locations are in clifton (mcmillen side) and hyde park...should know soon.

customers are wonderful
wesleyman
Hamburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/29 19:26:45 (permalink)
macs-
Barrelhouse pizza was fantastic. Especially the BBQ Chicken Pie. It will be missed. The crust was very good. Certainly consider me a potential customer if you bring bake the barrelhouse BBQ Chicken Pizza. Loved it!

TJ and Wallyum-
I have seen people come out of London Bridge. It certanily does look shady. For a beer in Mt Washington i usually head up to the Salem Garden or Mios who both serve BarrelHouse on tap. Ive been to Lisas billiards and brew like once for a beer.

Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/29 20:17:11 (permalink)
quote:

macs-
Barrelhouse pizza was fantastic. Especially the BBQ Chicken Pie. It will be missed. The crust was very good. Certainly consider me a potential customer if you bring bake the barrelhouse BBQ Chicken Pizza. Loved it!

TJ and Wallyum-
I have seen people come out of London Bridge. It certanily does look shady. For a beer in Mt Washington i usually head up to the Salem Garden or Mios who both serve BarrelHouse on tap. Ive been to Lisas billiards and brew like once for a beer.

We'd occasionally go to Lisa's to see a band whose members we became friends with. It had a different name back then. I never cared for the place, but that's because of some of the crap that went on there during my infrequent visits, all of which centered around some friends who were reliving their high school years. I should probably stop in some night to purge the bad memories.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/30 08:34:15 (permalink)
I was at Pizzaville last night picking up a pie for dinner, and Lenny told me he had revised his sauce recipe back to what it had been a year or so back. I can tell you it is a marked improvement.

In the words of my three and a half year old - "Daddy, this is a very good dinner".

Oh, and Wesley - I've never eaten in. The nice thing about being so close is that it lends itself to carryout. Call in an order (231-0800) pick it up yourself (your wife need never enter the place) and eat at home.

One recommendation - ask Lenny to leave it in the oven a few extra minutes to brown and crisp just a tiny bit.
wesleyman
Hamburger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/31 09:24:04 (permalink)
TJ-maybe my son and I will walk up to Pizzaville tonight and get a pie or I hear the Calzones are good. I gotta try it someday...
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/03/31 10:04:02 (permalink)
I always get the Pizza.

Len doesn't put ricotta in his calzones, and call me a calzone snob but I have got to have ricotta in my calzone.
macs
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/04/06 09:38:03 (permalink)
copy that on the BBQ, already have two versions of that one.

working on lease details with attorney, should take week or so, 60 days for buildout and we should be in business.

will keep posted, but may be a while
macs
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/04/13 16:12:25 (permalink)
TJ, i was looking at some burger pages and am impressed to see you know and appreciate FIVEGUYS.....you do live in cincinnati right?

you have to if you know J.J.'s is coming to Oakley....now i do not have to go as far to get buffalo meat for the pizzas.

so it would appear you travel.

as we are looking more in clifton and there really are no good burgers there we are seriously considering haveing the pizza (still very good in my opinion...including a variation of the old standby zinover) and adding a version of the "build-a-burger" with unlimited toppings for one price.
rather
burger $3.25
burger plus 1 3.75
burger plus 2 4.25
unlimited 4.75

see you soon, around july 1 at this rate
mmeg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/05/10 14:03:02 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Wally, have you had a chance to try Pizzaville yet?

No, but not because I've forgotten about it. I was going to suggest it on Saturday night this week, but my parents and my sister's family all were looking to get out also. We wound up at Betta's in Norwood, which is rapidly becoming one of my favorite stops. My son had a pizza, and while I love the crust, the rest of the pizza didn't impress me all that much this time. No matter. He liked it and was thrilled to have some left over to eat on Sunday.
I did try Papa Murphy's last week, just because I wanted to see how the process worked. I managed to feed the family for under $15, and the pizza wasn't bad. It cooked up a lot like some of the frozen pizzas of my youth, but the quality of the toppings elevated it to a level above frozen. I think the distance will keep it from being a regular stop on my Beechmont route, but we may return in the future.
ANFSCD, did you notice that IHOP is making a return to Beechmont? Hear anything about a return by Uno's?

Whoops. I live up in the Blue Ash area and I was disappointed to hear what you said about Papa Murphy's. My family moved here from Chicago and well the only place we buy Pizza now is at the Papa Murphy's in Mason. WHile I do drive 20 minutes to get the pizza it is so worth it. We really like the fiesta pizza they have and we love their stuffed pizzas. Nothing in Cincinnati even compares for us yet. We go two times a week. Sad to hear you compare it to frozen pizza. I would say it is far from that. Hey they also have cinnamon rolls now - we are gonna get them on Friday this week so we can have breakfast addressed on Saturday.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/05/10 18:34:40 (permalink)
Hey mmeg

Welcome to Cincinnati

For a great stuffed pie that several Chicago natives now living here have praised as being nearly as good as Giordanos in Chicago, try Mio's stuffed crust pizza. I absolutely love it.

Check it out http://www.miospizza.com. Locations in Milford, Fairfield, or Lebanon might be closest to you.

vwman80
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/07/19 00:25:48 (permalink)
Hey all, don't know if it matters, but there is a Noble Roman's express in the Marathon station on Dalton in Cinci, and another one south of Alexandria, KY in the BP carryout station on route 1936. (in grant's lick). I ate at the KY location today. I got a large two topping pie, let me tell you, it rocked. It was very good. Not what you'd expect!
vwman80
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/07/19 00:27:09 (permalink)
Anyone eat at Pizza Plus in Silver Grove?
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1