It's been a while since we heard from[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=24150']macs[/url]......
If you read this entire thread, you'll note that back in February of 2005, he posted
Originally posted by macs
for the pizza entusiasts here in cincinnati keep an eye out for a place called macs. will be in clifton in few months.
nothing like anything currently available in cincy.
Over the next few months, he offered up some fairly frequent commentary on Pizza in Cincinnati, including tidbits about when and where he'd be opening. His last comment was in late April, indicating he'd probably be opening his pizzeria in late July....
July came and went, then the fall, and we still hadn't heard from him.
Well, today, I opened my Cin Weekly (local free paper) and read that Mac's had opened! 205 West McMillan in Clifton. I had to stop by :-) They don't have a link online yet, but I will post it when I get it.
I had a cheese pizza which was very, very good
, and got to talk with Mac and his wife for about an hour and a half. There's too much to cover everything, but here's some highlights
1) He's been open for about 3 weeks, on a limited menu at the moment.
2) He wasn't aware of the mention in Cin Weekly, and was pretty happy I had brought it with me :-)
3) He's buying dough at the moment from Giminnetti's in Walnut Hills, but is strongly considering making his own on the premises. I told him his crust (a very thin crust with a crispy outside and good chew throughout) was very good, made even better by the fact that they baste the edges with garlic butter before it hits the oven, but he wants to improve it. :-)
4) His space is H U G E. Enormous. Cavernous. I was thinking he was goig to open a tiny carryout only place with little more than an oven, a counter, a register, and a place for customers to stand and wait, but he's got a lot of seating space and a bar, with a lot of sports-bar-like decor. You won't think "pizzeria" when you go in there.
5) His menu is pretty diverse, again giving the impression that the pizza is a sideline. He feels there isn't a good burger in Clifton, and so he's out to offer the best in his place. He wants to match or exceed Zips and/or Quatman's.
6) He has some students from the Culinary School at Cincinnati State working for him in the kitchen, and is very pumped about the creative and ideas they have been bringing in. They crafted a bbq pizza he's particularly excited about.
7) He was once an employee of the old Zino's chain, and has worked hard to reproduce the signature item from that old chain, the Zinover - albeit his version is called the Macover. I assured him I'd be back in to try it soon.
he gave me his card as I left, which lists his website as www.macspizzapub.com
(There's not much there yet except for his logo and email address, though)
Y'all got to get down here and check this place out. I think you'll be very impressed.
I'll do a full review with pictures as soon as time permits. Update 12/08/2005:
Cinweekly finally put the tidbit about Mac's online today at http://www.cinweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/a1/20051207/ENT0105/512070339/1026/ENT01