(Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4537
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/07 08:50:50 (permalink)
As an aside: I talked with Mac's wife few a bit before he arrived, and she said she had been at a Apple Computer store in Kenwood shopping for....what else...a Mac....and the fellow who helped her with the purchase, upon hearing that she was opening up a pizzeria in clifton, asked he if she had ever heard of Roadfood.com.

so fess up....who here works at the Apple Store in Kenwood? :-)
ericm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/07 10:10:40 (permalink)
I don't get here very often, but when Mac told me last night that he would be getting a roadfood post I figured I'd come see what TJ thought about his pizza last night. Glad he enjoyed it. As for me, I enjoyed the burger at Mac's last night (I've eaten a lot of Mac's pizza in the past couple of months). His burger is as close to what I would get if I made it at home of any burger I've ever eaten in a resaturant and stands up quite nicely against Zip's (I don't think as highly of Quatman's as Mac does). The burger is thick and savory with fresh toppings and plenty of cheese.

As far as TJ's expectations for the restaurant goes, I can defintely see why he thought it would be a carry-out place. As I recall that would have fit with Mac's thinking at the time. However, when the McMillan property finally became workable it was impossible for Mac not to go for it and, personally, I think he did a great job. Great pizza, great burgers, a wide variety of ice cold beer and plenty of TVs.

As far as the web and pictures goes, I agree. Since, I am also in a position to change that (I control the server Mac's site is hosted on, though I'm a techie not a web designer) I'll make sure to get a .pdf of the menu from Mac and try and remember to snap some photos the next time we are up there for lunch or dinner. Oh, but I don't work at the Kenwood Apple Store.

TJ, you will defintely enjoy the Macover.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/07 10:21:50 (permalink)
were you there around 6-7:15pm-ish? I would have liked to meet a fellow roadfooder as well :-)
ericm
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/07 11:16:35 (permalink)
Mac came back to the bar right after you left. I was eating dinner with Mac's brother and his brother's wife. I immediately recognized your name/screenname when he told me. Hopefully we'll run into each other there at some point in the future.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/21 18:48:26 (permalink)
I managed to stop by Mac's one more time, and had the macover. Excellent! Pics and more extensive commentary to come later, after I try a few more menu items - the 1/2 pound burger, for one.

That said, the first print media review of Mac's is out and available online :-) The review isn't all that positive, but keep in mind he's only been open a few weeks and the reviewer fails to recognize this key fact, even calling the place "popular" despite the fact that there's been almost no time to build a following yet......

Check it out:
http://www.cinweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/a1/20051221/ENT0104/512210335/1026/ENT01
ericm
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/27 18:20:34 (permalink)
TJ and all,

I added the menu to the website, you can view both the fron and back.
http://macspizzapub.com

Enjoy the burger, and he added BBQ and Hot wings to the offerings both are proving to be a popular addition.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/28 07:39:32 (permalink)
One suggestion, ericm - I know the acrobat reader is a fre download, but if you could convert those two files to jpgs (and reduce in size a bit, probably to fit width-wise on a 1024x768 screen) I think more people would view them more readily.
ericm
Junior Burger
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2005/12/29 17:02:14 (permalink)
I'll talk to Mrs. Mac about it, she is the graphic designer of the group.
wesleyman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2006/01/19 11:03:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

As an aside: I talked with Mac's wife few a bit before he arrived, and she said she had been at a Apple Computer store in Kenwood shopping for....what else...a Mac....and the fellow who helped her with the purchase, upon hearing that she was opening up a pizzeria in clifton, asked he if she had ever heard of Roadfood.com.

so fess up....who here works at the Apple Store in Kenwood? :-)

That would be me.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2006/01/19 13:11:30 (permalink)
hehe, where you been, wesleyman? :-)

have you stopped over at Mac's yet? or are you saving your money for the new Dunkin Donuts being built on the old Gold Star commissary site?
wesleyman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2006/01/30 12:26:19 (permalink)
quote:

hehe, where you been, wesleyman? :-)

have you stopped over at Mac's yet? or are you saving your money for the new Dunkin Donuts being built on the old Gold Star commissary site?

just been busy. fallen waaay behind on my internet surfing. I have not been to Macs yet, but plan too soon. i did help his wife look at a computer though. His place is on my list for burgers though, not just pie, as a few friends and i are trying to start up a local burger appreciation club.

Well, we will see about the Dunking Donuts, the Mt Washington Community Council said that the zoning change was voted down and there seems to be some opposition to bringing DD to Mt Washington.. http://www.mwcc.org/index.html

I have been getting pie or steak hoagies from Pizzaville on a pretty regular basis now. good stuff.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2006/01/30 12:59:41 (permalink)
Glad to hear you like Pizzaville. Make sure to tell Lenny that Tom Jackson turned you on to his place...he'll tell you I haven't been there for a while, though.

I really, really hope the Dunkin Donuts just goes away. I doubt it, since they've already paid for demolition and all, but I'd rather not see yet another chain (like NY Deli, which has already taken away the dance studo at Dixie Fitness) take over any more real estate in Mt Washington.

Also - re: your local burger appreciation group - have you checked out http://cvgburgerguys.blogspot.com/?
John_S
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2006/07/12 05:09:32 (permalink)
Pizza Magia of Delhi is pretty good. Check that out if you have a chance... I found a website for them: [url]www.delhipizzamagia.com[/url]. Looks yummy!
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2006/07/12 07:46:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John_S

Pizza Magia of Delhi is pretty good. Check that out if you have a chance... I found a website for them: [url]www.delhipizzamagia.com[/url]. Looks yummy!

They had one in Southgate a few years ago. Barely average. Not even up to the Papa John's standard. Sorry.
Suburban Dad
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2006/08/26 16:07:47 (permalink)
Anyone try MVPizza next to Kings Island on western row?? Hear it is NY style and family owned/operated. Will have to give them a try.
Suburban Dad
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2006/10/08 20:16:44 (permalink)
Finally tried MVP pizza last night. Thought this was a very fine pie. Carry out or delivery only. Good pie for the kids as the pizza is cut into smaller squares instead of the normal tri-angle pieces. Good crust, sauce and cheese. Will definintely get again, after having tried a couple other places on my list. (Big Dog's, Rosati's, Chester's and Milillo's)
Eden
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2007/05/13 19:10:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by macs

you guys keep busy:)

i did ask my soon to be about trottas and we will likely stop by this weekend as we will be working on wedding stuff at parents, i guess it will only be to take home though...but well give it a go

as for location, we actually looked at old zinos in clifton recently and it is architecturaly superior but also expensive for area at current, kitchen is gone, vents remain, tennent moving soon but too much to invest to return to restaurant. I worked at the HP location and loved almost everything about it. I was also saddened that the covington location did not make it. After eating there it was made clear by taste that all that had happened was that someone paid to use the name and maybe made a phone call or 2 as to how to make a zinover, but did not practice much. Hard to find, expensive and bad.
When i found out about it i got some old buddies together to go out for guys lunch...saturday at 1pm.....CLOSED-and this was 1 month after opening...who is closed at 1 on saturday??? we had to goto jack quinns

We are close to signing lease agreements-will post later, dont want to jinx

as for wicks in louisville (bearnos is good to but not as)
they have 4 but you will definatly want to goto the location at baxter and bardstown (they call it the highlands area)
you will be impressed, i promise

Pizzaville/lenny...yes the calzones are my favorite there, as we all know it is the same ingredients but..??
I do not know if they are on menu or not but if you go there get them instead of the pizza. Get 2 or 3

I used to manage the HP location back in the mid '80's and just loved it, even though John Humphrey, the owner, was a hard butt som etimes, but he liked me. I think of my time there a lot and wonder about everyone. Would love to get in touch to see if we perhaps worked together.
My first job was at La Rosa's in Clifton and my mate Jennifer and I would eat at the Zinos Firehouse all the time. Larry Smith lived upstairs and I could see Hattie the Witch in the upstairs window which was such a thrill for me as I LOVE puppets and grew up with Hattie and the gang in the Magic Forest.
Email me and let's chat about Zinos! Who knows...maybe I was your boss!
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1178
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2007/05/14 12:35:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Eden

quote:
Originally posted by macs

you guys keep busy:)

i did ask my soon to be about trottas and we will likely stop by this weekend as we will be working on wedding stuff at parents, i guess it will only be to take home though...but well give it a go

as for location, we actually looked at old zinos in clifton recently and it is architecturaly superior but also expensive for area at current, kitchen is gone, vents remain, tennent moving soon but too much to invest to return to restaurant. I worked at the HP location and loved almost everything about it. I was also saddened that the covington location did not make it. After eating there it was made clear by taste that all that had happened was that someone paid to use the name and maybe made a phone call or 2 as to how to make a zinover, but did not practice much. Hard to find, expensive and bad.
When i found out about it i got some old buddies together to go out for guys lunch...saturday at 1pm.....CLOSED-and this was 1 month after opening...who is closed at 1 on saturday??? we had to goto jack quinns

We are close to signing lease agreements-will post later, dont want to jinx

as for wicks in louisville (bearnos is good to but not as)
they have 4 but you will definatly want to goto the location at baxter and bardstown (they call it the highlands area)
you will be impressed, i promise

Pizzaville/lenny...yes the calzones are my favorite there, as we all know it is the same ingredients but..??
I do not know if they are on menu or not but if you go there get them instead of the pizza. Get 2 or 3

I used to manage the HP location back in the mid '80's and just loved it, even though John Humphrey, the owner, was a hard butt som etimes, but he liked me. I think of my time there a lot and wonder about everyone. Would love to get in touch to see if we perhaps worked together.
My first job was at La Rosa's in Clifton and my mate Jennifer and I would eat at the Zinos Firehouse all the time. Larry Smith lived upstairs and I could see Hattie the Witch in the upstairs window which was such a thrill for me as I LOVE puppets and grew up with Hattie and the gang in the Magic Forest.
Email me and let's chat about Zinos! Who knows...maybe I was your boss!

Oh BOY do I miss Zino's. Especially the French Onion Soup.....
Eden
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2007/05/14 15:13:19 (permalink)
Zino's really did have great chow. I also loved the French Onion soup....didn't it have mushrooms in it, or have I imagined that??
The Chicken Hungarian soup was good as well, and the Seven Layer salad was extrememly popular when I managed the Hyde Park location.
When I last visited Cincy with my husband, Zinos location was a sushi bar with really blue lights all over. The restrooms hadn't changed though. Believe it or not, I went upstairs and checked them out! LOL
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 521
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2007/12/09 03:20:57 (permalink)
I must've missed this thread during my past searches. Reading this makes me really miss Portobella's. And makes me want to drive all the way across the world for some Trotta's. Pizza is a major weakness for me.

Anyway, according to their site, an Old Chicago is opening in West Chester. I was lurking to see if anyone had ever tried it, and I see TJackson didn't like it.

I'll probably have to try it on principle, since, well, I'm originally from Chicago, but I won't expect too much.

My two current area favorites are in Northern Kentucky.

For Chicago style: Bourbon House and Pizzeria (Burlington)
http://www.bourbonandpizza.com/

For New York style: Nicky's World Famous Pizza (Hebron)
www.nickyspizzeria.com
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2007/12/09 18:56:05 (permalink)
Have you had the stuffed pizza at Mio's, Bonk?

Particularly at the well-run, always busy Mt Washington location rather than the newer (and closer to you) Milford and Clough @ 8 Mile locations?
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 521
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2007/12/09 21:15:17 (permalink)
Yep. Pretty good pie, just not as good as Portabello's or BAP, IMO.

I lived less than half a mile from the Salem/Mt. Washington one for a about a year, and I ate there regularly.

I've only been to the Eight Mile one once, and I didn't get the deep dish. I had no complaints, but it seems like everyone else here has had a bad experience.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2007/12/09 21:55:01 (permalink)
I have noted more than once that the Mt Washington location tends to serve a better product.

Dont know why. Same commissary......the established locations seeem to get it right, the others dont seem to have a clue.

I can't get the folks at Nicky's to make me a pie with all fresh mozz. They seem to treat it like a topping just like any other - ie you add the fresh atop regular mozzerella same as you'd add pepperoni, mushrooms, etc. Discouraging. I want the fresh INSTEAD of the regular shreds.

jnawillis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2008/03/07 19:35:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dcorn

In Hamilton there is a place called Millilos. A little carry out joint that has the best pizza I have every had. I live in Fort Wayne, IN and every chance I get I'm chowing down on Millilos pizza. Anybody else tried it??

I love Millilos pizza, good thing i live a block from them
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2008/03/08 14:28:51 (permalink)
quote:

There is a lot of good eating to be had at Hyde Park Square, but none of it is pizza. I think the place across the street from 5/3 - am thinking the name is Indigo - does pretentious california style pizzas. Teller's also does some of these, sometimes, or at least they used to.

I'm not sure there is a NY style pizza anywhere near there

One fairly well reviewed pizza near you is at Dewey's at Oakley Square. Only about a mile away, not too bad of a walk, really.

Another one to try is one of the very few sell-by-the-slice places in Cincinnati, Lucy Blue's at Mt Lookout Square. They even have a NY-style ordering window that opens right onto the sidewalk, so you never have to leave the sidewalk to order a slice. i tired them during their openign week, was so-so, may have gotten better since then.

I think the closest thing we have to a nyc style pizza is at Pomidoris in Clifton and Montgomery, or at Betta's Italian Oven in Norwood.

Fratelli's in Westchester has gotten some press since it's recent opening as being authentic, but to be quite succinct: their pizza sucks. The crust is OK, the sauce is thin and bitter, and the toppings are scant.
Do not be upset I am quoting a years old post - I am starting from the beginning on this thread and wanted to say a couple of things - Pomidori's ain't half bad but I have found Bettas in Norwood terrible - not even remotely edible.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2008/03/08 14:51:37 (permalink)
I used to live in Mt Washington and frequented the Mio's at Sutton Rd & Salem Rd regularly - this was back in the 1978-1984 time period - we then moved to the westside of Cinci and found eventually the Mio's there was nothing like the Mio's in Mt Washington - their pizza was plain awful cardboard crust garbage - I have since been to Mio's original store in Hyde Park and back to the one at 8 mile - their pizza is now cardboard crust garbage too - what happened to the NY style crust pizza they were making in the 1970s-1980's? They make abominable pizza now and back then it was first rate stuff.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2008/03/08 17:52:10 (permalink)
The Mio's on Eight Mile is a very recently (last 2-3 years, tops) built location that replaced one that had been on Mt Carmel Tabasco Road

So the Eight Mile location you went to recently is not the same Eight Mile location as the one you went to in the late 70's and early 80's - where exactly on Eight Mile was this old location? Just curious.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2008/03/08 18:39:05 (permalink)
quote:

The Mio's on Eight Mile is a very recently (last 2-3 years, tops) built location that replaced one that had been on Mt Carmel Tabasco Road

So the Eight Mile location you went to recently is not the same Eight Mile location as the one you went to in the late 70's and early 80's - where exactly on Eight Mile was this old location? Just curious.
My mistake! It was the one at the corner of Salem and Sutton Rds.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2008/03/08 20:52:40 (permalink)
Ah - that is my neighborhood Mio's, a regular favorite of ours

I really like the pizza there, tho i can believe you when you say it was better long ago
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: (Relatively) new pizza in Cincinnati 2008/04/11 17:59:38 (permalink)
quote:

There is a lot of good eating to be had at Hyde Park Square, but none of it is pizza. I think the place across the street from 5/3 - am thinking the name is Indigo - does pretentious california style pizzas. Teller's also does some of these, sometimes, or at least they used to.

I'm not sure there is a NY style pizza anywhere near there

One fairly well reviewed pizza near you is at Dewey's at Oakley Square. Only about a mile away, not too bad of a walk, really.

Another one to try is one of the very few sell-by-the-slice places in Cincinnati, Lucy Blue's at Mt Lookout Square. They even have a NY-style ordering window that opens right onto the sidewalk, so you never have to leave the sidewalk to order a slice. i tired them during their openign week, was so-so, may have gotten better since then.

I think the closest thing we have to a nyc style pizza is at Pomidoris in Clifton and Montgomery, or at Betta's Italian Oven in Norwood.

Fratelli's in West Chester has gotten some press since it's recent opening as being authentic, but to be quite succinct: their pizza sucks. The crust is OK, the sauce is thin and bitter, and the toppings are scant.
I like Dewey's and Pomidori's - pretty close to a NY pizza crust and taste - the pizza at Betta's and Fratelli's is plain awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1