Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Remembering the original Cott's cream soda

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 35
jonjax71

• Total Posts: 435
Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Tue, 07/7/09 10:43 PM (permalink)
Although I am a native So Californian and lifelong resident approaching 60 years young, I have traveled extensively around the US for business and pleasure. Many of my cousins are from the Newark-New York City area and throughout the late 50s and early 1960s when visiting them as a pre teen and then teenager I recall fondly consuming Cott's cream soda from a 32 ounce glass bottle with a metal bottle cap, man oh man, that was the best cream soda ever, I used to make ice cream sodas with either a vanilla or chocolate scoop. Later on in the 70s although Cott's sodas were still around they were not the original family owned business and not as good.  I also remember seeing ads for them in magazines that said "It's Cott to be good!"

Anyone else recall original Cott's sodas? I also liked their black cherry soda. Even though I would buy other brands of cream soda when I was back home and over the past 30 years have tried a myriad of brands, clear and dark cream sodas, some very, very good, I can't forget how good the Cott's cream soda was. Perhaps it was the "forbidden fruit" the unavailibility of it in Cali that made it beteter because in the 1970s when those same cosuins came to vist us in Calif they always wanted Coors beer because that was not available west of the Rockies until the 80s when the feds stepped in and broke up their non-union factory and racist policies.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17817
    Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Tue, 07/7/09 10:51 PM (permalink)
    I sure remember Cott's. The Cott's were from New Haven, and my little sister's boyfriend for a time was Gordon Cott -- son of one of the Cotts.Cott's did have the best cream soda I can remember.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
      Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Tue, 07/7/09 11:16 PM (permalink)
      I remember drinking Cott's sodas growing up in Yonkers in the 1950s and 1960s.  Great flavors.

beijinger

• Total Posts: 180
        Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Wed, 07/8/09 12:21 AM (permalink)
        Anoter heavenly childhood memory "It's Cott's to be good !"

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
          Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Wed, 07/8/09 6:09 AM (permalink)
          One thing that changed was the switch from sugar to corn syrup. Cream soda was one flavor that suffered more than others. I remember drinking Cott as well back in the late 50's - early 60's. I recently tried some Foxon Park Cream soda made in Connecticut, and it still tastes like those cream sodas of the 50's.

efuery

• Total Posts: 630
            Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Wed, 07/8/09 8:25 AM (permalink)
            Cott's Cream Soda was a childhood favorite of mine.

Jones Soda makes a decent cream soda but IMO Cott's was still better.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
              Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Wed, 07/8/09 8:45 AM (permalink)
              A great soda and another quality product now replaced by poor quality upstarts.....down with corn syrup and cheap production values!!!!!

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Wed, 07/8/09 8:58 AM (permalink)
                I wonder why the public let the food and beverage manufacturers get away with the unhealthy change from cane sugar to HFCS in the late 80s?

Are we a nation of obese sheep?

HFCS is cheaper than sugar and now we pay more - doesn't make sense from a consumer standpoint.

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
                  Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Wed, 07/8/09 11:08 AM (permalink)
                  Cott is currently one of the biggest soda manufacturers in the world; they produce a bunch of retail store "brands".

However, I share your memories. In particular, I remember when they went "all natural flavors" in the mid-70's. My favorite soda flavor of all time was Cott's old "Apple Ginger Beer", it seems that I was one of the very few who liked it.

Bobs

• Total Posts: 244
                    Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Wed, 07/8/09 11:23 AM (permalink)
                    My grandfather owned a liquor store in jersey when I was growing up in the fifties and sixties. They sold all of the Cott's flavors and kept them in the cooler and on the display shelves. I remember drinking them often and had a preference for the cream and cherry. They were the best drinks I have ever had.  I have spent my adult life in the south and have wondered if they were still available on the east coast.  Thanks for the memory.

jonjax71

Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Wed, 07/8/09 6:17 PM (permalink)
                      NYPIzzaNut

HFCS is cheaper than sugar and now we pay more - doesn't make sense from a consumer standpoint.

That's what happens and is continuing to occur with the world takeover by multi-national corporations and their bottom line and profits, damn the prtoducts and consumers we need to make more money

The same thing that you point out so well with sodas, use a cheaper and inferior ingredient and sell it for more happened with the music industry when the corporations wanted to repace CDs with records, the CDs sell for more but cost less to produce, then to make matters worse they produced inferior grade records to discourage consumers from buying them

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Wed, 07/8/09 6:29 PM (permalink)

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Wed, 07/8/09 6:29 PM (permalink)
                          I seem to recall loving their sarsparilla flavor most of all.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                            Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Wed, 07/8/09 6:46 PM (permalink)
                            Interesting history .Nypizzanut, thanks for the info!

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
                              Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Thu, 07/9/09 9:40 AM (permalink)
                              NYPIzzaNut

I seem to recall loving their sarsparilla flavor most of all.

That was my favorite, too! This flavor seems to have fallen out of favor.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                                • Roadfood Insider
                                Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Thu, 07/9/09 12:01 PM (permalink)
                                They produced (and may still??) two flavors of Ginger Ale. One was strong flavored, somewhat like Vernor's, called 'Golden Ginger' and the other was much lighter, more carbonated and called 'dry Ginger'(I hope I haven't mixed my brand-related memories with those of Canada Dry???)
                                  My favorite Cott flavor was the Black Cherry Soda. It had a great Cherry flavor!

jonjax71

Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Thu, 07/9/09 12:02 PM (permalink)

Whenever I am in So Flo with my wife visiting my in laws I always head to the nearest Winn Dixie or other store that carries one of the best seltzer and flavored seltzers, Sypho's out of I think J'ville FLA. Are you familiar with them? Is that their correct name? I have been looking for them on line to see if they ship out of state and to get my local specialty soda shop to carry then as I would buy them by the case

Check out this website in case you are unaware of
                                  Galco's Soda Pop Shoppe Stop   classic sodas

http://www.sodapopstop.com/home.cfm

An in advance thanx

Michael Hoffman

Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Thu, 07/9/09 12:38 PM (permalink)
                                    NYPIzzaNut

Here is a good history of the company:

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Cott-Corporation-Company-History.html

Actually, that's a history of the Canadian Cott.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Thu, 07/9/09 12:39 PM (permalink)
                                      There are two Cott's?

Michael Hoffman

Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Thu, 07/9/09 12:56 PM (permalink)
                                        NYPIzzaNut

There are two Cott's?

The Cott's you remember from Yonkers was a New Haven company. The Cott Beverages remaining in business has always been a Canadian company. I believe the original Cott Beverages no longer exists.

By the way, my father was born and reared in Yonkers.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Thu, 07/9/09 1:17 PM (permalink)
                                          Where exactly?  I lived near the Cross County Shopping Center on Maple Place - Just off Mile Square Rd and Kimball Ave.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                                            Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Thu, 07/9/09 2:13 PM (permalink)
                                            I wondered myself what happened to the Cott Beverage Corporation of Connecticut. I found a brief reference on the web that is was sold to Canada Dry Corporation. Figuring out the history of Canada Dry Corporation is someting I have never been able to do, especially since there were "Canada Dry Bottling Company of Podunk" licensees.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Thu, 07/9/09 2:55 PM (permalink)
                                              NYPIzzaNut

Where exactly?  I lived near the Cross County Shopping Center on Maple Place - Just off Mile Square Rd and Kimball Ave.

Oh, I have no idea. All I know is that he played football and basketball at the only high school in Yonkers at the time, Yonkers High School (I remember his yearbooks) and that was in the 1920s.

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
                                                Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Thu, 07/9/09 5:18 PM (permalink)
                                                Michael Hoffman

NYPIzzaNut

Oh, I have no idea. All I know is that he played football and basketball at the only high school in Yonkers at the time, Yonkers High School (I remember his yearbooks) and that was in the 1920s.

Can't pin down when it opened, but Gorton HS defeated Yonkers HS on 11/14/26 for the city football title (The score was 19-7.) I found a reference to a Commerce HS yearbook of 1930. Sacred Heart HS accepted its first class in the fall of 1923.

Born & Raised in Yonkers

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Thu, 07/9/09 6:19 PM (permalink)
                                                  I went to Lincoln High on Kneeland Ave.- my cousin was at Roosvelt High at Tuckahoe Rd. and Central Ave.

markolenski

• Total Posts: 307
                                                    Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Thu, 07/9/09 8:17 PM (permalink)

I made alot of money when I was a kid in the 60's collecting empty Cott bottles from the neighbors and returning them for the deposit.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Thu, 07/9/09 8:34 PM (permalink)
                                                      I collected mainly beer bottles - lots more around.

jonjax71

• Location: Pasadena, CA
                                                        Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Thu, 07/9/09 11:29 PM (permalink)
                                                        Hey all you Yonkers natives.......

When I was 12 or 13 yers in, my family sent me and my siblings to spend the summer with our cousins in Newark/East Otange NJ, one day they took us to an recreational park named Freedom Land and if memory serves me correct it was in Yonkers, is that correct? I know it was just north of the Bronx. That summer we also went to Palisades Amusement Park and Coney Island but Freedom Land was the best becaue it was a theme park-not an amusement park, I remember a great bandstand and I believe it was Chubby Checker performing on it, maybe Sam Cooke, I don't recall that part too well

The following year our cousins came to spend the summer with us and we took them to Disneyland, Pacific Ocean Park, Long Beach Pike and Marine Land, the precursor to Sea World and as seen in 2 or 3 Beverly Hillbilies epsiodes

NYPIzzaNut

• Location: Sardinia, OH
                                                          Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Thu, 07/9/09 11:49 PM (permalink)
                                                          jonjax71

Hey all you Yonkers natives.......

When I was 12 or 13 yers in, my family sent me and my siblings to spend the summer with our cousins in Newark/East Otange NJ, one day they took us to an recreational park named Freedom Land and if memory serves me correct it was in Yonkers, is that correct? I know it was just north of the Bronx. That summer we also went to Palisades Amusement Park and Coney Island but Freedom Land was the best becaue it was a theme park-not an amusement park, I remember a great bandstand and I believe it was Chubby Checker performing on it, maybe Sam Cooke, I don't recall that part too well

The following year our cousins came to spend the summer with us and we took them to Disneyland, Pacific Ocean Park, Long Beach Pike and Marine Land, the precursor to Sea World and as seen in 2 or 3 Beverly Hillbilies epsiodes

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Freedomland_U.S.A.

Freedomland U.S.A. (usually just called Freedomland) was a short-lived, U.S. history-themed amusement park in the Baychester area in the northeastern part of the Borough of The Bronx, New York City. Its slogan was "The World's Largest Entertainment Center" (later, "The World's Largest Outdoor Family Entertainment Center").
                                                          Freedomland opened on June 19, 1960. It closed at the end of the 1964 season when it failed to make a profit

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Thu, 07/9/09 11:50 PM>

mickcohen

• Total Posts: 1
                                                            • Location: Oakland, CA
                                                            Re:Remembering the original Cott's cream soda Sun, 07/12/09 3:49 PM (permalink)
                                                            Anyone who lived in the NY area, especially if you were Jewish, meant that you had 4 great brands of soda in the supermarket: Cott's, Hoffman, Dr. Browns, and Canada Dry.  While Canada Dry was famous for ginger ale and was not successful with other flavors, the other 3 all produced top quality black cherry, ginger ale, cream soda, root beer and orange.  We used to get Cott's and Hoffman (which we always thought of as the best brands) on the large bottles..........I can still remember the bottle shapes of each brand and the printing in the glass............typical 1950's art which i still love.

When we wanted the real thing we went down to the local "candy store" or "luncheonette", sat at the counter, and had a lime rickey, egg cream, or cherry coke made to order.........and usually enjoyed with a $.02 pretzel stick.  A small drink was $.06 and large was $.11 in 1960 or thereabouts.  A hot dog with mustard and sauerkraut was $.15.  So was a slice of pizza!!!!!!!!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 35

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com