Replacing burner on my cart need help

Author
Enorme Johnson
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2014/03/03 11:44:54 (permalink)

Replacing burner on my cart need help

Ok so here was the problem I was having I had two valves with knobs to adjust temp set about a foot apart from each other with an 1/8" copper tube supplying the gas coming from the right side. The burner was one of those straight line burners. The problem I was having was that the flame was always too low and once I turned the burner on the far side on the flame was reduced in the first burner to the point where it would get blown out by the wind if I was not careful on top of that the middle pan (of 3 third pans)never got hot enough. Since its so cold this year I thought repairs were in order. First I replaced the burners with a cheap part from Lowes. I bought a burner that takes an oval shape because I thought that this would provide a more even burn. When I replaced the burner I found a new problem the gas was just not coming out strong enough. Next I replaced the valve where the gas enters the burner chamber with ones that had bigger holes this worked a little better but when the other side lit up the same thing happened and all the pressure came out of the first side. Next I rethreaded the gas line and replaced the 1/8" copper tube with a 1/4" propane line when I did this I also had to replace the valves to adjust for the bigger line. I found one online. This gas valve instead of being a foot apart from each other with the gas coming in from one of the sides has the gas coming from the center and then goes to both the valves placed about three inches from each other. Now the burner lights. unless I keep it on the lowest setting the flame will burn all yellow I want to have more control over the flame. I am thinking I need to replace the holes where the gas goes into the burner chamber again and get a smaller hole this time. Getting frustrated but not defeated yet, has anyone tried to do something like this on their own before there are not many places that will even look at my cart since they were not the ones who built it. Any help would be appreciated. I will keep updating until I solve this problem and get a burner that burns hot and does not have soot.

4 Replies Related Threads

bellehill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 134
    Re:Replacing burner on my cart need help 2014/03/04 15:06:45 (permalink)
    what brand cart do you have.
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2087
    Re:Replacing burner on my cart need help 2014/03/04 17:24:19 (permalink)
    It doesn't really matter where the gas feed line connects (side or middle). Your problem is supply line gas pressure is too low.  The supply line can not maintain proper pressure to both burners.
    You haven't told us what the burner size (BTU) is or if it is a 'low-pressure' or 'high-pressure' burner.     ... Usually, carts are built with 'low-pressure' burners.

First make sure there are no obstructions in the line. (I'm thinking you may have a kink in the line; or if the line is rubber, the inside might be collapsing)  .., Then verify both orifices are the correct size.   See this link for orifice info  http://www.joppaglass.com/burner/lowp_chrt.html

Next, light both burners, then turn up the regulator pressure until both burners work properly.   ... If the burners are low pressure, the burners should work OK about 11 to 14 WC.   If the pressure has to be higher, look for obstructions, kinks, or reduce the orifice size.
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2087
    Re:Replacing burner on my cart need help 2014/03/05 08:35:14 (permalink)
    eer ... you state the gas supply line is 1/8 inch.  ...???... I think this is part of your problem  ...   too small for the burners  ....

I would re-pipe the supply line header as 3/8 inch (1/2" OD) copper or 3/8 galv. pipe (abt 110k BTU capacity).   Then at the Tee or elbow reduce to 1/4 inch (3/8" OD) copper (49k BTU) to each burner.  Now make sure the orifice is the correct size for the burner and set the regulator for 11" wc.   Your burners are most likely 12K to 20K BTU each, so .04 (#60 drill for 11K BTU) or .047 (3/64 drill for 15K BTU) orifice for each burner should be OK.
    post edited by edwmax - 2014/03/05 09:42:34
    wmsquinn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Replacing burner on my cart need help 2014/03/05 21:10:38 (permalink)
    my is in a repair shop for burner problems as well
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1