LockedRequest for RF forum feature: email all mods

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
2006/06/07 17:17:01 (permalink)

Request for RF forum feature: email all mods

Right now, if you want to email the moderators, you have to individually click on their profile, then click the email link, then type each one of them an email

Ok, so yeah, you can write it once, copy it, and paste it multiple times :-) Which is what I do

Can we instead have an "notify moderators" button added to the set of links for each post such that

a) the moderators assigned to the forum in which the post resides all receive the same email

and

b) the moderators are provided a link to the forum\thread\post you have clicked from

and

c) the body of the post at the time the email is sent is also captured into the email?

Reason/justification: from time to time, there are posts that need to be reported to the mods for action - deleting blatant commercial ads (no, not yours, beer and snausages, I was just kidding), removal or edits of posts containing offensive language, links, images, threats, etc.... it'd be a lot easier to have one link to click to provide all that info rather than have to compile all the info into an email and then send it off several times to each admin (you never know who is online and available at any given time)

I welcome feedback

56 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/07 17:54:00 (permalink)

I have the other moderators grouped in my address book so all I have to do is click on the Mod group when I address the email and they are all on the same distribution list.
    AL
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/07 21:54:01 (permalink)
    T.J., I don't have a clue on how many members are here, but I'm sure the moderators already have their hands full with people reporting posts they don't agree with. With the recent spliting of duties on a particular area of the overall forum seems to be working well. I can remember, very recently, that someone said nobody volentered for that position, then locked the thread. I can understand why because everybody craps all over them. I'm sure that all the moderators check at least the posters that have a tendancy to lets say light a fire in an other area on the board, to keep things in check. Then again I grew up in a neghiborhood you never said anything about anybody. T.J. love the pictures on your thread nice job, and a great report from your area. Chow Jim
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3554
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/08 03:18:46 (permalink)
    I will say that this is the only forum I've ever been a part of that does NOT have a "report this post" feature. I've only done it a couple of times, but it is something of a PITA to have to go through the rigamarole of finding the mod you need and getting an email to them.

The one where I work (which uses vBulletin software) automatically sends an email to all moderators of the forum and all admins when someone reports a post.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/08 08:23:41 (permalink)
    Jimeats: I understand your point, but the way things are set up now, I'd bet that when someone reports a post, they report it to mods they are familiar with. This means the newbie mods (Mike, Tony, and Larry) probably aren't helping SD and the Mayor as much as they could be.

By linking the button I am suggesting to the mods assigned to the forum in question, you're ensuring the right people get the emails they need.

Al: That works when you are emailing all mods, but let's say the issue is in the Hot Dog forum, where Tony and Larry are the mods. First, you have to open a new window, then select all forums (since you don't get the names of the mods if you open just the forum in question) then note who the mods are then email each seperately. You wouldn't use the "all mods" address book group because you wouldn't want to bother SD, Mike, or the Mayor. Another problem is you are asking each of the thousand members here to create and keep updated a roadfood-mod-only address book. Seems like a better idea to have it maintained here at the source.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/08 09:10:52 (permalink)
    If you click on all forums the moderators for that particular forum are listed to the right, seems simple enough for me. Chow Jim
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/08 09:19:29 (permalink)
    Yes, but then

1) you've either opened a new browser window to do so or have departed the forum\thread\post tha is the root problem

and

2) you have to individually email each mod

and

3) you have to copy and paste in references to forum and thread from the other window, and etc etc etc

A lot of effort to do what one button could very easily do, since the site already has built in awareness of what forum each mod is assigned to
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/08 09:47:33 (permalink)
    As felix mentioned previously, this is about the only forum of which I am a member that does not have a "report this post" button or "email moderator" button available. The functionality is there on a number of template forum sites. I would think that this would have that option.

For that matter, this button would actually make the moderators jobs easier, collectively. I have read posts by some of them that say that they read every thread. I don't know that they HAVE to read every thread, but for policing purposes, I would suppose that they might -- if only to make sure that the children are playing nicely. With a "report post" button, the need to police every thread would be replaced by forum members doing a lot of that work for you.

Good suggestion, TJ. :thumbs up:
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/08 10:23:53 (permalink)

That's strange, I have never emailed a Mod about a post that I found offensive blah blah.............
    They usually email me.

SD and Tony Bad usually email and give me a chance to edit/delete my own idiocy. Sometimes I really need to know what I have done, like a recent deletetion that SD took the time to explain to me, and sometimes I know all to well what I have done, but an extreme bout of Cocktail flu prevented me from doing my own deletions. Thank God they and others mop up my worst moments......or the best moments if this was a site about hate, flaming, political discourse,and dissention. But Its Not!

I have heard from the Mayor on occassion also. Cripes! That was like God callin ya on the phone, I felt like I was being paged to the principals office back in Elementary School (yikes!)

I have never found them to be anything but cordial but also firm as they need to be. I have really tryed to stay out of their hair lately. About a few days by my count.(honestly)

I doubt you'll ever find me emailing to report a post or poster, cos I aint here to police the forum, although I understand it is a help to the Mods that others do.

I just try to ignore the person/post instead of retaliating, cos I always get edited/deleted and the instigator dont (NOT complainin) just saying I'm changing my tactics. I will walk away before I get ugly back.

Gee, maybe I have an adolescent crush on half of them and the only time they email me is when I am naughty!
    Bwa-hahahahahhahahahahhhahah

KIDDIN!!!!!!!, I know most are married and the rest taken, as am I.

Good topic, TJ, not that I agree/disagree, but I'm sure have lots of responses and get things ironed out.

Regards,
    Copper
    P.S. I like yer posts on all the forums, TJ

Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/08 13:56:38 (permalink)
    Will the mods tell you why a thread was deleted if you email them? I'm so curious about some of them, and it seems a definite no-no to ask about it. The Mayor has been kind enough to let me know about some things, but overall.....?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/08 14:19:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

Will the mods tell you why a thread was deleted if you email them? I'm so curious about some of them, and it seems a definite no-no to ask about it. The Mayor has been kind enough to let me know about some things, but overall.....?

A thread or post is deleted per the rules of the forum which is listed above. Most of you can guess why that happens if you read the post on a regular basis. For the most part, I do no discuss why I delete a thread of post. Sometimes if the poster continually post quality comments, I will advise them of the deletion. If the individual flames, makes obscene comments or just trolls. I do not advise.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/08 14:36:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

A thread or post is deleted per the rules of the forum which is listed above. Most of you can guess why that happens if you read the post on a regular basis. For the most part, I do no discuss why I delete a thread of post. Sometimes if the poster continually post quality comments, I will advise them of the deletion. If the individual flames, makes obscene comments or just trolls. I do not advise.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I also have tried to notify people of any edits or deletions, unless it was some spam or a person who is just causing trouble. If I forget, I have no problem with anyone e-mailing me to ask for clarification. I know I'd like a reason, so I figure other would as well.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/08 16:42:51 (permalink)
    My opinion on the topic is that if I've been here 3 years and haven't yet had to e-mail a moderator to report a problem, I don't need an easier way to not do it.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/08 17:10:10 (permalink)
    Ruby Rose,
    I would like to thank you for the years of non-communications that we have enjoyed with you! Your non-notes have been a constant reassurance that maybe, just maybe, the crisis of deciding which post regarding the use of Catsup/Ketchup is going to ruin Western Civilization, is perhaps not as life-threatening as some would make it.We do appreciate your posts and recognize that there are a lot of folks who do post on the site without any conflict or disputes at all.

Seriously though, In some cases where a deletion is the result of some misunderstanding between posters, or overlooking a 'rule' of the site, we try to send a note to the person involved to explain the site's position regarding the issue and encourage the poster to stay within the guidelines. That doesn't always happen. Sometimes I will post on the thread that some posts were taken out. Usually the reason is self-evident. A N D there are times that a post is deleted and nothing else is said or done about it. If that happens to you and you want to know more, you are welcome to inquire from the Moderator responsible for the forum involved.

I think the only cases I can recall where a thread is deleted and no additional comments made are with the 'Solicting Threads' or the deliberate 'Trolling Threads'. If we catch them before a bunch of response get posted, they just disappear.
    If anyone has a question about their contributions to the site I invite them to ask one of the Moderators. If we don't know the answer we can find it for you, given a little time. Since this IS volunteer work, I remind everyone that it may take a little time to get the response, but we do try to help when we can.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/08 19:04:43 (permalink)
    Ruby, I have also yet find the need to email email a mod, but I have had a few nice emails from mods explaining things to me, that I emailed to thank.

That said, I hate to see whole threads deleated, the good along with the bad. Oh well, I am sure there was a good reason. I am just happy to be here and learn sooo much from all of yall!!!
    Joe
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/09 08:44:25 (permalink)
    I have two questions I would ask the folks who have never needed to notify the mods here of anything

1) Are your feelings so strong about not notifying admins that you'd want to block others from having an easier way to notify appropriate mods when there is an issue meriting attention?

2) Do you feel there is no post that would be so offensive to you that you would not ever want to notify appropriate mods about it? Being that I don't want this post to itself be offensive, I won;t provide examples. Simply let your imagination run wild and think of some images or thoughts that are blatantly offensive. Probably some mixture of human abuse, politics, religion, and/or hate/evil. Revolting stuff. Let's then say that some newly registered poster with time on his or her hands, an active imagination, and a decent photo editor then posts such images or ideas on this board for all to see. Or posts link to a website that promotes such images and/or ideas. Would you simply ignore it, knowing that readers of any age or mental state could be viewing it next?

What I am really asking is - are you against others having access to such a feature, or are you simply saying you personally would not use such a feature? I ask because as stated, it is likely the administrators of the website would probably take your comments as a vote AGAINST implementing such a feature.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/09 08:53:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

2) Do you feel there is no post that would be so offensive to you that you would not ever want to notify appropriate mods about it? Being that I don't want this post to itself be offensive, I won;t provide examples. Simply let your imagination run wild and think of some images or thoughts that are blatantly offensive. Probably some mixture of human abuse, politics, religion, and/or hate/evil. Revolting stuff.

OK....I'll start.

A guy walks into a talent agency....
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/09 09:33:58 (permalink)
    Yes, a recital of one of the even mildest variants of the Aristocrats would be an excellent example of the kind of thing that should be reported to the mods right away
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/09 10:15:05 (permalink)
    TJ, even though I have found no need to email a mod, I understand the need. If there is a need to make it easier then maybe it should be. I have seen the feature on some of the poker forums I go to.
    Joe
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/09 10:29:04 (permalink)

OK, But it looked like a good one.....
    I mean... a talent agency??

BTW I am not opposed to the creation of the Button Notification device that T J describes. If it makes it easier to notify the Moderators...then I am in agreement.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/09 10:48:13 (permalink)
    The button TJ seeks is already on our keyboards. When some fool tries to get a thread riled up, just hit the ignore button instead of submit. If you dont give them fuel, maybe they'll go away.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/09 11:09:02 (permalink)
    No, UncleVic, it really isn't.

Ignoring something is not the same as dealing with it.

As an aside, I was unable to find either button you mention on my keyboard here.

Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/09 11:09:46 (permalink)

TJ
    1) Are your feelings so strong about not notifying admins that you'd want to block others from having an easier way to notify appropriate mods when there is an issue meriting attention?

Speaking for myself, the answer is no. I'm saying there is plenty of policing going on, they certainly don't need me. I do believe that making it "easier" will work the mods harder. Iffen it takes a little effort to report something you find offensive, one might think twice. IMHO

I go to sites with the "report this post button". More than a few times I have witnessed it used to wage personal wars, but I'm sure thats not always the case. Maybe a little research into the aforementioned sites with the "batphone" button, and what those mods have to say may give us more insight. Or try it and see......

"What I am really asking is - are you against others having access to such a feature, or are you simply saying you personally would not use such a feature? I ask because as stated, it is likely the administrators of the website would probably take your comments as a vote AGAINST implementing such a feature.

Good analysis. I have no problem with having this feature on RF. I stand by my earler statement that it will be more work for the mods....but it would not be the first time I was wrong.

Respectfully, TJ,
    Copper
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3554
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/09 13:36:17 (permalink)
    I can honestly say, as a moderator on a site that has a "report this post" button, that I have NEVER, not even once, had anyone report a post out of spite. 99.9% of the reported post emails I get are regarding spam. The other 0.01% I see are because someone is breaking a rule of the site (usually personal attacks or excessive swearing for no apparent reason). It has never made more work for me...in fact, it is less. Why? Because once the regular members started using the button rather than replying to threads, I no longer have to take the time to read every single thread on the board. I can trust my regulars to keep an eye out for stuff I might have missed, so I can read what interests me (which is particularly nice when I'm working 60-80 hours a week as I have been for the last few months).

I've been a moderator at that particular site for just over four years. I think it's a fairly safe example of how well this concept works.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/09 13:53:16 (permalink)
    I personally do not have a problem with this as it seems to be the norm with other forums and has worked very well. It might even make our job a little easier.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/09 14:03:47 (permalink)
    Has anyone thought about the work required to implement such a feature on forum software that doesn't nativly support it? It isn't as simple as just adding a button with "Report post" on it. The addition of such a feature makes future forum software upgrades more difficult because the modifications will have to be reworked to fit the upgraded software.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/09 14:24:44 (permalink)
    True enough, Bob - but many (perhaps most) things worth doing require some effort

It's also possible that this software (http://forum.snitz.com/specs.asp) includes this feature already and it isnt turned on

*shrug*
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/09 14:51:21 (permalink)
    It would seem logical that if software modifications have to be made, it would be for a feature that would benefit more than the handful of members who have posted to this thread. To put it in perspective, 33 times more Roadfooders participated in this week's crab survey than this discussion.

I wasn't voting against the "alarm button" in my prior post and still aren't; just expressing the opinion that there's a silent majority who find it easier to police our own viewing and leave the forum moderating to the moderators.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/09 15:01:47 (permalink)
    Fair enough, RR, and I appreciate you (and the other 2 dissenters thus far) clarifying that you aren't really against this feature being made available.
    Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Request for RF forum feature: email all mods 2006/06/09 17:32:22 (permalink)
    Click the "Enable other users to email me" in your preferences and he can e-mail you.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1