Respectable Crabcakes in Los Angeles?

Author
Fancifree
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
2003/07/06 15:56:00 (permalink)

Respectable Crabcakes in Los Angeles?

Okay, I just got done reading the thread on Crabcakes. I've only had them once, in Texas of all places, and they were pretty good, even though a LONG way from Chesapeake Bay.

Are there any places in the L A Basin which do a decent job on these?
I have been craving them lately* and most I've seen don't even LOOK like they'd do the trick!

* are there any affordable places to get crab lumpmeat? I could cook a whole crab, but I'm unable to even peel shrimp; crab would be even more so! I live close to The Fish King in Glendale, but I didn't see any last time I was in.

2 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Respectable Crabcakes in Los Angeles? 2003/07/06 16:40:31 (permalink)
    Last Fall we were in Santa Monica and purchased Chesepeake crab meat in a chilled can at a local fish market- $22. Had to ask for it - it was hidden away. Thereupon the only reasonably good crab cakes to ever appear in the Los Angeles basin
    were made by me and served to my loving family that evening.

Actually, they are not all that difficult to make: there's lots of good recipes - just make sure you season them gently and use just enough mayo, egg, and bread/cracker filler to barely hold them together and saute them gently in butter. Remember, its all about the crab meat - the rest is just fluff. and remember they 'll never be as good as along the shores of the Chesepeake.

EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2876
    RE: Respectable Crabcakes in Los Angeles? 2003/07/06 21:53:49 (permalink)
    HT Grill in Riviera Village (Torrance, just off PCH) is an offshoot of the Hennessy's Tavern next door. I love their crab cakes. They come with a remoulade type sauce, and are a bit more New Orleans than New England.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1