The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3757
2011/07/12 21:38:37 (permalink)

26 Replies Related Threads

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4534
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/12 21:46:39 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/12 21:57:29 (permalink)
    You know...I thought I looked everywhere to find that article posted.  I just didn't look in the restaurant pros section.  I even thought I had seen someone post about it - and just couldn't find it.

If the moderators can delete the duplicate thread, I'd be OK with that.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4534
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/12 22:14:47 (permalink)
    A sure sign of old age.  Don't like kids, and can't remember a freakin thing.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3515
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/12 22:50:15 (permalink)
    Well, I for one appreciate the double post, as I have no interest in going into the Professionals forum (I'm not a professional, so why would I?) so I would never have seen it.

I think I would eat there all the time! It's only unfortunate that they didn't ban older kids as well. Twelve and under would have been perfect.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/12 23:01:41 (permalink)
    Don;t feel bad TTM.  I saw the story on the local news this afternoon and thought about posting it myself.

Guess where I am going to eat real soon!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 00:13:40 (permalink)
    I think it should be the focal point of our next Roadfood meet up.

For the record, I like kids just fine.  I don't like screaming, whiny, uncontrollable kids.  Since B is a subset of A, and cannot easily be separated in advance to know which pool one would be drawn from, I am all for the restaurant owner's policy.

Now if I could only find one airline that flies out of Orlando with the same policy, I'd be a happy guy!
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 00:34:09 (permalink)
    From my best friend on the subject:
    you know my kid loves crab more than the average 6yr old, but I totally agree with this. Of course, I also expect better than the currently accepted average behavior from my kid, but as for my 2.5yr old? NO, I would never even think about taking him to a place that doesn't have happy-meals or crayons. Cause, really...do I have to explain??

I like kids just fine also. I just don't appreciate an interactive experience with the children of ignorant parents.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 07:10:23 (permalink)
    Restaurant policies re: children have been around for a while.  If you click on the High Tea button at the top of this site and then scroll down the page, you'll see their policy and reasoning behind it.
    http://www.abigailstearoom.com/

I have visited this tearoom multiple times and enjoyed both the food and its tranquil atmosphere.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 09:11:23 (permalink)
    I was (sorta) kidding about the airplane thing.
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 09:33:56 (permalink)
    I'm the dad of a 2.5 year old, and we take him out to dinner quite often. It's never an issue because: 1) we would never dream of taking him to a fine dining or upscale restaurant at 2.5 years old and 2) he is remarkably well behavied, mannered and respectful (and the rare times that he gets rambunxious in public, one of us walks out with him until he calms down).  We go out with other families quite a lot and I am often HORRIFIED at the behaviour of other children.  100% of the blame goes to the parents, who tolerate, and by proxy, encourage this.  It's just another symptom of an increasingly self-centered and rude society. 

OK, I have officially become a cranky old man. GET OFF MY LAWN!

As for the restaurant owner who has banned children, it's his perrogitive I guess, but I think it's ignorant and offensive.  He's painting all kids with a mighty wide brush.  He says that he's happy with his decision, but I would bet that he's going to lose a lot of business in the long run. 
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 09:58:14 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

Since B is a subset of A, and cannot easily be separated in advance to know which pool one would be drawn from, I am all for the restaurant owner's policy.

A lot of dopey rules are born this way. You can't legislate away stupidity or mandate common sense, so rules are made that force the good to suffer with the bad. Too bad it has to come to this, but it is understandable. Just one more place where I'll have to stuff the kids in the car trunk while I dine.

Oh, and my son says Merry Christmas Steve!
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 570
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 10:35:27 (permalink)
    Pigiron 
    As for the restaurant owner who has banned children, it's his perrogitive I guess, but I think it's ignorant and offensive. 

It seems the owner is being the opposite of ignorant.  He is being cognizant.   He is not ignoring the complaints and wishes of his customers.  He is recognizing the complaints and wishes, and acting on them.    Bravo! 

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2011/07/13 11:09:37
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 10:39:00 (permalink)
    Glenn1234

It seems the owner is being the opposite of ignorant.  He is being cognzant.   He is not ignoring the complaints and wishes of his customers.  He is recognizing the complaints and wishes, and acting on them.    Bravo! 

Applying the behavior of a few to an entire group is ignorance.  At least it is in my book. 

Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 570
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 10:48:23 (permalink)
    If it were really only"a few", I don't think the owner would be getting such kudos from his customers for enacting the ban.   There seems to be a pretty favorable response on this board, too.  If it were only a few, it wouldn't even be an issue. 
    I guess it comes down to who the owner is going to please.    He can ignore the wishes of many of his customers to ban the kids,... or he can ignore the wants of those who want to bring kids.  He has  to weigh which group to please and which group he can't.    (He can't please everybody.)    The article made it seem that the wishes of the ones in favor of the ban were greater than the wants of those who didn't want the ban.  

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2011/07/13 10:52:07
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 11:21:14 (permalink)
    joerogo

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=659013&mpage=1#659111

Ah, but many of us have the "professionals" forum blocked. I don't believe they want our non-professional opinions there. I'd prefer to have them discuss it there, and we can have our unprofessional discussion here.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 11:24:42 (permalink)
    Mosca
     Ah, but many of us have the "professionals" forum blocked. I don't believe they want our non-professional opinions there. I'd prefer to have them discuss it there, and we can have our unprofessional discussion here.

That is why I didn't delete or merge the threads!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 11:29:50 (permalink)
    This was also a TV news report, I looked for the link but can't find it now. I liked this particular exchange, paraphrased in the article:

Vuick has even turned down reservations from regular customers hoping to dine with their young kids after his July 16 ban goes into effect. One of those customers, Stephanie Kelley, said she has been going there every week for years and had been bringing her 13-month-old son with her. She called the policy ignorant and questioned what the proprietor would do about loud patrons at the bar.

It can't help but make me think that she had something to do with the implementation of the policy!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 11:30:54 (permalink)
    Tony Bad

Mosca

You are a wise and efficient moderator!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 11:33:08 (permalink)
    Pigiron

Glenn1234

It seems the owner is being the opposite of ignorant.  He is being cognzant.   He is not ignoring the complaints and wishes of his customers.  He is recognizing the complaints and wishes, and acting on them.    Bravo! 

Applying the behavior of a few to an entire group is ignorance.  At least it is in my book. 

I wish it was a few, but as your kids get older and you spend more time around schools, sports activities, other kids and other parents you'll realize that "a few" is closer to a majority. I am appalled the way many...perhaps "most" fits better...kids behave and the parents that condone it and almost seem to encourage it in the name of being "an individual".  I used to think teachers were overpaid until my kids started school and I went to their classes and saw what they deal with. I'd rather work on a bomb squad then deal with most people's kids. I smoked but applauded when smoking was banned in public places because many smokers are selfish, inconsiderate slobs. I have two young kids so such bans would hit me directly, but I sure do see why they are needed. Oh do I see!!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 11:33:54 (permalink)
    Mosca

Tony Bad

Mosca

You are a wise and efficient moderator!

Yes, yes I am...but you forgot modest.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 12:18:11 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

I was (sorta) kidding about the airplane thing.

I don't fly anywhere near as much as you, but just the other week I was looking at some kids walking down the aisle on an airplane, and thought, "Please don't sit next to me, please don't sit next to me..."

We were at a charity brunch event at Fairchild Tropical Gardens on Sunday, and the tables were very closely spaced.  I repeatedly could not get access to food or back to my seat because a small child was continuously lingering and playing around in the path between the tables, instead of in her seat.  The parents were oblivious.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 12:33:08 (permalink)
    Pigiron

Glenn1234

Pretending that isn't the way the world works is fairly ignorant as well. You said yourself you would never bring your 2.5-year-old to a fine dining or upscale restaurant, which is what the one we are discussing is. My personal feeling is that some places are appropriate for children, and some are not. When you walk into a restaurant with a toddler, the staff there has no way of knowing if you are one of the small minority of people who understand how to parent. For the benefit of their customers who obviously constantly lodge complaints about other people's children, they have to assume you are not. Is it fair? Nope. But there are umpteen rules and regulations that are unfair to a small subset of people who understand that they are common sense. Common sense isn't common, and rude behaviour is prevalent.
    post edited by felix4067 - 2011/07/13 12:38:02
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1019
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 13:34:54 (permalink)
    I'm often appalled at the behavior that some of the children in my own family are allowed to get away with in public. Not only is it extremely rude to let your kids run wild in a restaurant, it can also be dangerous... I've seen toddlers trip waitresses with full trays before.
    When I was little, I got whacked on the bottom more than once for messing around in restaurants. I'm ok with this guy banning kids 6 and under.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 14:00:11 (permalink)
    Since the place is in Monroeville, Pa. you can go to Moio's for good cannoli whether you eat there or not.  
    post edited by eruby - 2011/07/13 14:40:13
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 14:37:49 (permalink)
    eruby-
    I wouldn't dare drive to Monroeville without a stop at Moio's!
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    Re:Restaurant Bans Kids! 2011/07/13 14:41:39 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

eruby-
    I wouldn't dare drive to Monroeville without a stop at Moio's!
    I approve of this post! 

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1