Restaurant Consultant.

Author
OverTheWall
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2006/09/07 21:37:57 (permalink)

Restaurant Consultant.

Would it be a good idea of using a consultant from the inception of your restaurant concept?

Would it be a waste a money?

6 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Restaurant Consultant. 2006/09/07 21:45:27 (permalink)
    Depending upon your "inception", that may or may not be a good idea. Why don't you share your views with us first BTW; let me be the first to welcome you to our community. Grab a chair; sit down & stay awhile.
    Greyghost
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Restaurant Consultant. 2006/09/07 22:14:31 (permalink)
    I am not a restaurant pro, but as a customer I do have advice. I have always thought of a consultant as someone from out of town that presumes to tell you how to do things in your own neighborhood at a premium price.

Put the money into your idea, use quality ingredients, believe in yourself and hope for the best. That is all anyone can do.

As I am from out of town and am consulting you I expect a payment of $20, 00 if my ideas work. Of course, I am kidding about that, but I do advise you about advisors that will not be kidding.

By the way, welcome to Roadfood!
    OverTheWall
    Junior Burger
    RE: Restaurant Consultant. 2006/09/10 00:01:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Depending upon your "inception", that may or may not be a good idea. Why don't you share your views with us first BTW; let me be the first to welcome you to our community. Grab a chair; sit down & stay awhile.

can't get over my paranoia of sharing my idea...nothing personal....is this bad?
    OverTheWall
    Junior Burger
    RE: Restaurant Consultant. 2006/09/10 00:04:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greyghost

I am not a restaurant pro, but as a customer I do have advice. I have always thought of a consultant as someone from out of town that presumes to tell you how to do things in your own neighborhood at a premium price.

Put the money into your idea, use quality ingredients, believe in yourself and hope for the best. That is all anyone can do.

As I am from out of town and am consulting you I expect a payment of $20, 00 if my ideas work. Of course, I am kidding about that, but I do advise you about advisors that will not be kidding.

By the way, welcome to Roadfood!

I feel welcomed already. Thanks!!
    texgrill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Restaurant Consultant. 2006/09/10 14:15:33 (permalink)
    Hi

Also welcome to the site.

Yes your concept is your "baby" sort of like what an inventor goes through. You could mention your broad strokes of the idea without giving away any secrets.

I think the consultant would be like a franchisor (sp). Your paying them for agreeing or disagreeing with your idea (or them coming up with an entirely different one) and you pay a high fee for that input.

Ronnie
    Fieldthistle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Restaurant Consultant. 2006/09/10 15:22:01 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    When I worked at our local Sheraton back in the 1980's, (which in the last year or so has become a Holiday Inn)
    we had a bar called the "Winner's Lounge," a sports bar theme, red and black colours dominated it decor, but was only a sports bar for Monday Night Football. Normally, it was a rich, white-man's disco with a D.J. playing lite rock. Funny thing, the locals, from medium income to rich, from every ethnic group, etc. would visit it, even rednecks. It was popular. The franchise owners, based on advice from Sheraton Headquarters, called in outside consultants, fro Boston, I believe, and the bar and hotel restaurant were revamped. The restaurant was basically untouched, except for new colours andsitting arrangements. The bar became "Scrupples," and areas were sitting were raised,golden brass 'fences' separated different parts of the bar, colours became a dark green and ivory white,wide-screen remained but used for news and some sports, D.J. replaced and new one played disco, food focussed on fancy appetizers and haute-cruisine, and on Friday and Satuday nights began charging a cover charge to enter, and food and drink prices went up by a third to a half depending on the items.
    Locals, except for wealthier businessmen left. More wealthy college students over 21 came in. It became
    a pick-up bar and place to acquire cocaine (this was the 80's).
    It lost its soul. I left my position at the Sheraton, but would go back from time to time. Each time they
    seemed to change its name, motif. Last time I went back, about 2 years ago, it had become a sports bar again.
    But you know what, the consultants were pretty good as far as changing the look of the old "Winner's Lounge."
    "Scrupples" had a great look to it, but that was about all it had. I think the owners wanted to lose the locals, and they did.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1