Restaurant Hygeine

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
2004/08/06 18:26:56 (permalink)

Restaurant Hygeine

I know that many of you do not appreciate chain restaurants and in my opinion some of them ain't so great but I would like to relate to you how some of the restaurants in Knoxville came in with the inspectors. The following scores was in the range of 1-100.

PF Changs 97
Outback 96
Cabarras 95

Average Mom and Pops 81

The advantage of having a SOM obviously improves the cleanliness and operational ability of a resturant.

Knoxville has experienced a Hepatitus A outbreak plus other food poisoning deals that have come from small operations.

I realize that you can pick holes in the inspection process but the Sundancer personally prefers to dine in places where I feel that my guest and family is the safest.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

26 Replies Related Threads

Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/06 22:39:39 (permalink)
    This is pretty scary stuff. Yuck!

http://www.wfts.com/stories/2004/05/040507restaurants.shtml
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/07 07:42:11 (permalink)
    Paul,
    Virginia, as of a year ago, makes restaurant inspections public via a website. But they don't use a scoring method like TN. They show a summary of the inspection report with the citations of violations, and you make your own mind up as to how that looks to you. Here is the site:
    http://www.healthspace.ca/vdh

Frank
    queenb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/07 08:13:56 (permalink)
    Georgia uses a numerical score, but still; we have selected restaurant's reports listed in the local paper weekly, and sometimes it amazes me that a restaurant with a few minor infractions like "employee drinking cup in food prep area" or "used towel hanging on sink" can add up and make the place have a much worse score than one that has one infraction like "insect activity apparent in food storage area ! The inspection notice has to be prominently posted, and I do actually go over there and reads them if I see that the score is less than 95! (In GA they normally write the score in large enough letters to be seen from 10-15 feet away, so it's easy to notice!)
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/07 10:06:47 (permalink)
    Ha :0... You should see some of the "chain" restaurant scores in MY area...
    (< 80)
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/07 10:13:25 (permalink)
    In Muscogee, and i assume the rest of Oklahoma,the results of recent health inspections are published in the paper regularly----lets the publiuc know whats what and keeps the resteraunt owners on thier toes at the same time.
    ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/07 15:56:15 (permalink)
    I have only this to say. Thank God, I have only had food poisoning once & it was from a chain "Friendly's" By food poisoning folks I'm not talking about a little tummy ache here, I'm talking about 10 hours of pure hell. Therefore I exercise extreme caution about entering chains now. Need I say I have never again crossed a "Friendly's" Threshold. The problem with chains is that they usually employ teen types. Unfortunately many of todays teens haven't got a clue about maintaining sanitary conditions.
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/07 16:52:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ocdreamr

I have only this to say. Thank God, I have only had food poisoning once & it was from a chain "Friendly's" By food poisoning folks I'm not talking about a little tummy ache here, I'm talking about 10 hours of pure hell. Therefore I exercise extreme caution about entering chains now. Need I say I have never again crossed a "Friendly's" Threshold. The problem with chains is that they usually employ teen types. Unfortunately many of todays teens haven't got a clue about maintaining sanitary conditions.

I have witnessed or experienced food poisoning a number of times. Once was in college from shrimp at the cafeteria, once at a local small chain, a Chinese place, a local sea food shack, a big national chain.

Don't blame chains.

I do have to say that I have no experience with it from home cooked food.

marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/08 23:04:27 (permalink)
    Sundancer

I grew up in the food business before the days of posted scores and the grading system. But, we took pride in the fact that the health inspector shopped at our place, which we always figured that we were doing ok by him!
    rmcielwain
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 618
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/09 09:22:15 (permalink)

Tiki, the NBC affiliate, WSFA, in Montgomery, AL, takes the
    rating system a step further: on their Thursday night newscasts,
    they announce the high and low scorers of the week and give the
    reasons as to how they earned this "dubious" distinction...[|)]
    rmcielwain
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/09 09:24:12 (permalink)

rmcielwain
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/09 09:30:29 (permalink)

Mea Culpa - technical/posting error.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/09 09:36:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rmcielwain

oh my---THAT will keep a resteraunt owner on his toes!!!

BTW---if you will look at the top of you post you will see that trash can ---click on it and you--as the poster--can delete that unwanted post. Done that same double posting a few times myself
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/09 10:36:26 (permalink)
    They do the same here in Wilmington,N.C.At my restaurant the Health Inspector came in one day unexpected.like they always do but this time it was personel.He was getting married here that weekend and wanted to make sure all was ship shaped!
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/09 12:12:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rmcielwain

Here in Peoria, IL, WMBD, the CBS affiliate does the same thing for the four area counties, rotating each week between the counties and giving highest and lowest scores (with all the gruesome details) for the past month.
    rmcielwain
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/09 12:31:31 (permalink)

And it's not just restaurants: there was a tie with 98 between
    Family Dollar and a teriyaki establishment, so any outlet that
    handles food in any form is fair game.......
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/10 01:25:00 (permalink)
    I worked for Godfather's Pizza in college and the thing that always kept our scores in the 95+ zone was that our upper management would pop in for surprise inspections whenever the mood suited them. Our particular manager was a bear and took off incredible amounts of points for what seemed like minor stuff. One time we had advanced warning of his inspection and when he arrived our store was spotless, or so we thought. He looked around and nodded as though impressed, then whipped out a screwdriver. He went straight for the can opener, which was permanently mounted to one of the food prep tables. We failed the inspection because of the funk he found under the mounting plate. The next time he was on the warpath we got an advance warning again, and we cleaned the place top to bottom again. He went through the same routine, checking things out and looking impressed, then whipped out the screwdriver again and headed for the can opener. Our manager was a step ahead of him this time though. He had sealed all of the bolt holes and the side seams with silicone caulking so that no moisture could get in. We passed that time with flying colors and pretty soon every store had adopted the silicone idea. Creative upper management is necessary to keep chain stores on their toes. It seemed like an adversarial relationship back then, but as a family man I grew to appreciate stuff like that a lot more.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/10 17:12:10 (permalink)
    Wallyum, that is one thing that I like about chains. They have a system that does inspect. It may not be the perfect solution but it will make a program such as you described behave better.

You have to have a system.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    dcw62
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/10 17:58:22 (permalink)
    I WAS IN THE RESTAURANT BUSINESS FOR 9 YEARS IN MANAGEMENT,WORKING AT RESTAURANTS SUCH AS PIZZA HUT,KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN,ETC.IN MY OPINION,THE BIGGEST STICKLER ON HEALTH DEPT ISSUES--BOB EVANS RESTAURANT,THE WORST--FRISCHES BIG BOY
    Inspector Al
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/10 22:36:00 (permalink)
    My experience has been that the chain establishments for the most part have much stricter health standards in place than independents. Of course you are only as good as your labor pool, and a little carelessness here or there can result in the dreaded "critical" violation which adversely affect an inspection rating. There are other factors that come into play, but the bottom line is to keep your employees educated and enforce the standards in place. Then you run into the problem with the Management labor pool...ok, that's enough!
    wilewil
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/11 16:00:24 (permalink)
    Sundancer,

I remember when the top scorers in the state were the UT student cafeterias. Golden E status was universal and some had perfect scores. Some of the food was OK too!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/12 17:12:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wilewil

Sundancer,

I remember when the top scorers in the state were the UT student cafeterias. Golden E status was universal and some had perfect scores. Some of the food was OK too!

I am appreciative that the the top scores was in Tennessee, the main point is that we want all restaurants to be int the top scores.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/08/31 15:09:52 (permalink)
    Our local newspaper lists all of the Restaurants inspections ratings each week after the inspection. Also, one of our local TV stations has a segment on Sunday morning called Eat, Drink and be Wary. It lists the top 3 and the bottom 3 ratings for the week.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/09/01 11:09:29 (permalink)

Unfortunately, in NJ, they do not have a numerical system. The signs only state if the establishment passed (White sign); was provisionally approved (Yellow sign--meaning that they had so-called minor infractions); or if it failed the inspection, at which point the place is closed pending further inspection.

My own observations (disagree with me if you wish) regarding fast food restaurants:
    I have found most Burger King restrooms to be deficient in terms of cleanliness.
    Occasionally, I have found the same thing in a McDonald's restroom, but it has been fairly rare with them.
    Wendy's have seemed to display the best standards of restroom cleanliness.

I have now gotten into the habit of using the restroom before buying any fast food. If there is no soap (surprisingly frequent!), then I will not eat there. While we cannot guarantee that all food handlers will wash their hands, any place without soap clearly has a 100% rate of non-hand washing! Some Hepatitis with your burger, sir?

As to the chain restaurants that are above the fast food category, the only ones with which I am familiar have all been very good in terms of restroom cleanliness. The ones with which I am familiar include Carabba's, Bertucci's, McCormick & Schmick's, and Ruth's Chris. The facilities at Ruth's Chris have been really impressive, but then again, their prices should certainly dictate this.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/11/03 12:09:30 (permalink)
    You might be interested in what popped up today on Hotmail from MSNBC: "How safe are your favorite restaurants?" The figures are far from encouraging!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6083318/

redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/11/03 12:35:39 (permalink)
    Wow...I find that wild that Denny's was the cleanest of the bunch. Who woulda thunk it?
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2013
    RE: Restaurant Hygeine 2004/11/03 13:20:42 (permalink)
    As a "rent a server" to suppliment her teacher pay, my daughter has worked in a lot of places. Some are so disgusting in the kitchen and food storage areas that she wonders if they ever even get inspected. Others are as clean as an operating room. She says that you can never tell from out front.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1