Helpful ReplyRestaurant idea

Author
ckates7
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2011/06/01 13:44:36 (permalink)

Restaurant idea

Hey all,

I'm sure you get these types of posts quite often, which I apologize, but I thought I would get some hopefully honest feedback.

I'm located in Springfield, IL which is practically the middle town of 115,000 people between Chicago and St. Louis on a highway that runs through both cities. The town is a huge sports town, and split between Cubs and Cardinals fans, Blues and Blackhawk fans, and Bears and Rams fans.

The only true sports restaurant we have in this town is a buffalo wild wings, and this town will break you if you open a restaurant that does not stand out or have a good location to it.

With that said, I've been toying around with an idea of a sports bar that's rich with both St. Louis and Chicago sports. To go along with this idea, I was thinking of having 2 parts to the menu, one side would be all Chicago famed dishes, and the other would be dishes that sets St. Louis apart.

There's a heavy traffic area being built and almost finished right off the highway where a large Scheels sports store is being built. I'd love to hear what your opinions are for just the beginning process, or if I should even entertain the idea. The restaurant would be called "Rivals"

Thanks everyone.
-Corey
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:Restaurant idea 2011/06/01 14:04:46 (permalink)
I suggest you head over to 5th and Stanford to talk with Jack (Dr of BBQ) in person.  He posts on here somewhat regularly and is very knowledgeable about the food scene in Springfield (plus he is very friendly and servs excellent BBQ).

http://www.drofbbq.com/
ckates7
Junior Burger
Re:Restaurant idea 2011/06/01 14:09:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I think I'll do that, I go by his stand every week.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
Re:Restaurant idea 2011/06/01 15:50:09 (permalink)
catering the the local clientel is always a plus in my book! If they're split on sports, then play up both angles.
But that's just me.
ckates7
Junior Burger
Re:Restaurant idea 2011/06/01 16:23:54 (permalink)
is the basic idea seem to be something that could make it? that is if good food and service were adequate?
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Restaurant idea 2011/06/01 17:05:34 (permalink)
ckates7

is the basic idea seem to be something that could make it? that is if good food and service were adequate?

If your going to try to open up a restaurant with "adequate food and service", don't sign any long term leases.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
Re:Restaurant idea 2011/06/01 18:18:08 (permalink)
chewingthefat

ckates7

If your going to try to open up a restaurant with "adequate food and service", don't sign any long term leases.

Great advice.  You either have outstanding service and outstanding food or you will be outstanding in the parking lot.  The major issue is the artist of the owner.  Everyone that opens a restaurant probably believe their food is outstanding.  The issue is that most of them are not artist of their trade.  What they believe is good service and good food does not meet the criterior of the ultimate voter.  The largest issue is what constitutes good service:  That issue can be debated forever but in my opinion, it consist of many elements ranging from super clean rest rooms, quick service, attentive service folks. clean surroundings, clean parking lot, attractive interior and certainly very good food.  Very few owners accomplish that.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 

post edited by Sundancer7 - 2011/06/01 18:19:13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1