Hot!Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Tamchybai
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2014/06/27 11:37:32 (permalink)

Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism.

My partner and I recently opened a restaurant, so we are looking for good kitchen workers and prep cooks. Having visited a couple of restaurants, I noticed the great work Mexican workers do in the kitchen. I truly admire their work ethic and would like that to be a part of my restaurant. Could you please tell me: How exactly would I go about reaching out to the Mexican community for employees? How do restaurants find these great, hard workers?  

41 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/27 11:49:11 (permalink)
    I'm sure if you ask around, you'll find a non-profit or community organization designed to serve the Latino community in helping them with finding the type jobs you are offering.

Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/27 12:29:33 (permalink)
    Tamchybai
    Having visited a couple of restaurants, I noticed the great work Mexican workers do in the kitchen. I truly admire their work ethic and would like that to be a part of my restaurant. Could you please tell me: How exactly would I go about reaching out to the Mexican community for employees? How do restaurants find these great, hard workers?  

No racism?
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4209
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/27 13:03:43 (permalink)
    Contact the local Chicago/Cook County chapters of La Raza or councils of LULAC.  I'm sure they will offer fruitful guidance.
    happyfood
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/27 14:58:23 (permalink)
    Have you tried home depot parking lot? Hah, joking.  Not racist at all, I live in Central America and speak fluent spanish, love the culture!

I suggest you check with local latino chapters/organizations.  In most cities they help latino workers locate jobs, could work well for you.  If not, ADVERTISE!  Craigslist, lots of the mexican community knows how to frequent craigslist.  Don't put "Mexican workers only" but use a spanish title in the ad like, "Estamos contratando cocineros" o algo asi  
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/27 17:00:31 (permalink)
    Midnights
    Tamchybai
    Having visited a couple of restaurants, I noticed the great work Mexican workers do in the kitchen. I truly admire their work ethic and would like that to be a part of my restaurant. Could you please tell me: How exactly would I go about reaching out to the Mexican community for employees? How do restaurants find these great, hard workers?  

No racism?

No, it's not racism.
    Living in AZ, I've hired a number of Mexican Americans to do work for me and I can vouch for their work ethic and the quality of work they do.
    Like any race, there are good people and bad people. Chicago has a very large Mexican population.
    Go to the churches in the Hispanic neighborhoods and you'll find good people willing to do good work. 
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/27 17:09:03 (permalink)
    -
    post edited by Midnights - 2014/06/27 17:22:36
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/27 17:10:33 (permalink)
    -
    post edited by Midnights - 2014/06/27 17:22:07
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/27 17:14:50 (permalink)
    I've seen a lot of black people working in the hot sun. They seem to be able to handle the heat well. You should check with your local black community for people to work the grill.
    I also know that Jews are very good with money. Financials for a restaurant can be difficult. You should check with the local Jewish community for an accountant.
    Just stay away from the Poles. They're lazy and stupid.
    pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/27 18:06:46 (permalink)
    Midnights

I've seen a lot of black people working in the hot sun. They seem to be able to handle the heat well. You should check with your local black community for people to work the grill.
    I also know that Jews are very good with money. Financials for a restaurant can be difficult. You should check with the local Jewish community for an accountant.

Wow!!!!!!! I'm Irish, I guess I'm drunk right now.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/27 18:41:03 (permalink)
    pnwchef

Midnights

Wow!!!!!!! I'm Irish, I guess I'm drunk right now.

I'm French.  And sure enough am sipping red wine.

Edit:  At least it's 17:44 in Dallas, two hours later than the Pacific NW.
    But, what the Hell, pnwchef; it's nearly midnight in Ireland! 

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/06/27 18:47:34
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1739
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/27 23:47:09 (permalink)
    Midnights

we shall assume that that was racist/nationalistic humor/sarcasm
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/28 02:28:37 (permalink)
    FriedClamFanatic
    Midnights

we shall assume that that was racist/nationalistic humor/sarcasm

Wrong Assumption.
    It's just a dude ranting without really understanding what the definition of racism is.
    Racism involves putting down other races as compared to yours.
    Treating them as inferior or not as good as your point of view.
    In this case , the original poster is actually praising members of another group.
    This is the opposite of racism.
    Stereotyping maybe but not racism.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/28 09:33:04 (permalink)
    Another idea would be for Tamchybai to visit this well-known Chicago establishment and ask his fellow restauranteur Rick Bayless where finds his help.

Or, perhaps Mr. Tamchybai Turusbekov is not a restauranteur, but a fisherman who has thrown bait into the Roadfood pond.  For some reason I'm feeling a tug on my leg.

Anyone here good with anagrams?
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/28 11:08:07 (permalink)
    Foodbme, you are apparently confused about the definition of racism. Your explanation is incorrect. Racism is still racism even if you are talking about a positive stereotype. It leads to the No True Scotsman logical fallacy. It also puts down the other races. By holding Mexican-American workers to such an ideal, the OP would then hire them exclusively, harming the employability of people of other races.
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/28 11:46:07 (permalink)
    Not to mention, did the OP even ask the people they are remarking about if they were even mexican?

Could they not be Guatramalan, Salvadoran, Honduran, peruvian, chilean....? 

Not if you assume all brown people that speak spanish are mexican. (fail)

the definition of racism is the use of the concept of race superiority to systematically maintain the social power of one particular race over others.  E.g. Native american tribes who live in squalor on reservations is the result of racism.  A person who assumes brown people that speak spanish are all Mexican is racist.

There is a whole field of study on this called Colonialism/ post-colonialism.

Individually making offensive comments about another's race/culture would make someone racist, racially prejudiced, or stupid. your pick.

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/28 11:58:15 (permalink)
    Midnights

Foodbme, you are apparently confused about the definition of racism. Your explanation is incorrect. Racism is still racism even if you are talking about a positive stereotype. It leads to the No True Scotsman logical fallacy. It also puts down the other races. By holding Mexican-American workers to such an ideal, the OP would then hire them exclusively, harming the employability of people of other races.

I had never heard of that fallacy being called the "No True Scotsman Fallacy".  Thanks!  Learned something. 

The world would be a far more civil place if more if more could recognize fallacy as they listen, read, and think.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/28 17:13:10 (permalink)
    After hiring several local kids as dishwashers (in Hamilton, MA) who would take their apron off and walk out the door at 8PM, leaving me and my crew to clean up, I started hiring Brazilians.  They were wonderful.  I personally hired an immigration attorney to get green cards for a few of them.  There were no jobs in Brazil and they came here to be part of the most wonderful country on earth.  They became successful, have beautiful homes, raised children, worked very hard and are proud to now be American.
    Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/29 08:48:50 (permalink)
    lleechef

After hiring several local kids as dishwashers (in Hamilton, MA) who would take their apron off and walk out the door at 8PM, leaving me and my crew to clean up, I started hiring Brazilians.  They were wonderful.  I personally hired an immigration attorney to get green cards for a few of them.  There were no jobs in Brazil and they came here to be part of the most wonderful country on earth.  They became successful, have beautiful homes, raised children, worked very hard and are proud to now be American.

I have to agree. when I was a project manager for a construction company in the Boston area, the concrete company that we used all the time, because of their speed/quality - had a crew of 18 Brazilians. They would work together, eat together and clearly took  pride in their job. They would even offer suggestions to their foreman about how to do something easier, or if something was wrong that nobody picked up on. Germans are known for high quality engineering. French are known for having a different approach to personal hygiene. Puerto Ricans have a reputation for living off the government.  Is this a sweeping statement about each culture? Nope. Just a few individuals that paint the picture for the rest. It all comes down to personal motivation & what you want to do with your life.

I don't think that its racism at all. Its hiring the best person who's most likely to be successful in the position. Its done all the time. College grads get hired over someone who has no experience. Someone who has strong references is going to be hired over someone that has a tendency to be late. Unfortunately, the work ethic has almost disappeared from the American workforce. If someone is willing to cross the border legally, in hopes of a better life & they demonstrate that they want to work & NOT live off the system........WHY wouldn't I hire them? Mexican, Brazilian, Russian, Polish, Haitian, Jamaican, German......Ive hired them all. Only a few of them have disappointed me, in comparison to American workers. If that makes me a racist, then so be it. When I am tasked with getting a job done consistently & to standard - I'm going to hire whoever that is, that will get it done.
    Everton
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/29 11:14:11 (permalink)
    Do yourself a favor as a business owner.  Don't mention race at work.  Put out your help wanted signs and hire the best regardless of race. 
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/29 11:40:49 (permalink)
    Everton

Do yourself a favor as a business owner.  Don't mention race at work.  Put out your help wanted signs and hire the best regardless of race. 

Goog advice, but I really don't think he's looking for advice.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/29 12:35:11 (permalink)
    I never mentioned race at work but I can tell you one thing.  If I scheduled a Brazilian to do prep or dishes or whatever and for some reason he couldn't make it, his brother or cousin showed up to work.  I was never short-handed.
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/29 16:06:54 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/29 16:18:26 (permalink)
    Good work!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4077
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/29 17:28:13 (permalink)
    Still only one post from Tamchybai. Methinks you have been trolled.........
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/29 17:49:15 (permalink)
    Tamchybai apparently is doing a study. I'd guess the person is seeking reaction that can be used for some purpose.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/29 19:18:36 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Tamchybai apparently is doing a study. I'd guess the person is seeking reaction that can be used for some purpose.

Please note above my posts and warnings in that regard.
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1563
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/29 20:39:50 (permalink)
    I would contact the White House.  I think they may know where Mexicans are, and will be airlifting them to town close to you soon.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/30 13:17:17 (permalink)
    Mexico is a rather large country.

Here is the logic being used: The kitchen staff was good, the kitchen staff were Mexicans, therefore Mexicans make good kitchen staff.

Given the discoveries of the Human Genome Project, it would be reasonable to assume that the reason why the kitchen staff you encountered were all from the same country and all were good is cultural rather than biological. So knowing what part of Mexico they were from, and knowing their socio-economic background would increase your odds. Also, whether they were U.S. citizens, legal immigrants, or illegal immigrants is relevant. For example, legal immigrants working on a green card have already shown a capability of being able to work hard and following the rules, and are motivated by a desire to stay in the United States; those who have become U.S. citizens show a continuing dedication to working hard. Illegal immigrants are willing to overlook illegal behavior, but can be blackmailed with a threat to turn them in to the authorities. But remember, they are in the U.S. in the first place because they don't care about breaking the law, and willing to knock down those who are trying to come here legally and stomp on their backs on their way in. Finally, those who were born in the U.S. are probably not much different from any other groups born in the U.S.

Bart
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1739
    Re:Restaurant looking for Mexican workers. Serious inquiry. No racism. 2014/06/30 16:27:53 (permalink)
    EdSails

Still only one post from Tamchybai. Methinks you have been trolled.........

And it appears an attempt to get people to his web presentations.......sophomoric at best and a bit hard to follw.  But.......being a noob, no references were allowed
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1