Restaurant of The Day 12/22 Una Pizza Napoletana

Author
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2217
2007/12/22 09:44:55 (permalink)

Restaurant of The Day 12/22 Una Pizza Napoletana

This is an excellent review with great photos and I would really love to try one of their pies. Having said this, I'd like to ask Bruce and Sue to comment on this "review" of UPN that appeared about a year ago on these pages by FrankBooth; a poster who comments rarely, but whose posts always seem to be informative and honest.

Posted - 11/22/2006 : 22:05:50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is the most outrageously priced pizza around- very tasty, no doubt, but absolutely not worth the money- go to Difara in midwood and eat a large pie with a topping for less than these dinky little pies at UPN- and no toppings? no bacon? no peppyroniez? no anchovies? the pizzaola at UPN is a vegetarian! ouch! look, i grew up in new haven eating at sally's and pepe's, i've eaten all the great ny spots, and i've eaten pizza in napoli and all over italy, and this $20+ for a pie is just not worth the money- at sally's you can get 2 larges for the same price as this little personal pizza! no pizza is worth more than $20- i don't care how expensive mozzarella di buffala is or whether you use chickpea flour in your dough and you run out early, pizza is food for the people, not the east village gentry/suits! this place is another example of the gentrification of the east village- cbgb's and everything with soul is being sold out to the rich- 2nd avenue deli gone, ratner's gone, all gone gone gone and what comes in to replace them- yuppie pizzas! with no toppings! no thanks- on a happier note, i had a large half bacon half chicken with mozz from pepe's fairfield last night and it was SUPERB- and cost well less than $20!!! and half of it was still around for lunch today! skip UPN unless you are on an expense account credit card! and if you are, skip it anyways and go to peter lugers and call me... rant over- frankbooth

Posted - 12/22/2006 : 15:46:57
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snooty indeed- i had an awful experience at the above pictured WAY overpriced and overrated place recently- obnoxious waiter, over one hour from the time i placed my order for 2 little pizzas (at $21 a piece and no toppings- this is highway robbery), the place was half empty, waiter yelled at me when i asked why my pizza was taking so long, and then they brought my pizzas to the table next to me and put them down when they were finally ready. luckily the people didn't eat them, but when they realized their mistake the pizza was getting cold. my bill for 2 tiny pizzas and a bottle of water was $48 before tax and tip!!! never going back here and i'd recommend staying far away from this snooty, snotty, obnoxious, mediocre pizza joint. do not believe the hype- this pizza is not worth the hassle. go to difara's and have a true MASTER make your pie- skip una pizza napolitana and their snooty pizza dissertations... not sure why i went back- i already disliked this place, i guess i was trying to give them another chance but NOT WORTH IT AT ALL

10 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7898
    RE: Restaurant of The Day 12/22 Una Pizza Napoletana 2007/12/22 09:51:48 (permalink)
    I'll have to confess...
    There are a few roadfood joints that for some reason just haven't intrigued me
    and therefore I have no desire to visit "ie. Sears Fine Foods in San Francisco and the Varsity in Atlanta". Unfortunately, I am putting this place in the same category.
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    RE: Restaurant of The Day 12/22 Una Pizza Napoletana 2007/12/22 10:09:01 (permalink)
    FrankBooth's reaction to Una Pizza Napoletana is not uncommon. That's why we tried, in the review, to "warn" people that this is not just another pizzeria "on the circuit": Pepe's, Sally's, Di Fara, Grimaldi's, Totonno's, Lombardi's, etc. Not that it's better than those other places, just in a whole different category.

It's very expensive for pizza, but it's not expensive for a meal out in New York City. And that's how we think of it, cost-wise. The service can be dreadful. But it's not "yuppie" food, whatever that means. It's just one more approach, a purist take on pizza that focuses on simple, unimproveable ingredients and, most of all, great bread. For what it is, we think it is astoundingly good pizza. But not a pizza we'd eat every Friday. For that, we'd choose Pepe's.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    RE: Restaurant of The Day 12/22 Una Pizza Napoletana 2007/12/22 19:06:32 (permalink)
    <<It's very expensive for pizza, but it's not expensive for a meal out in New York City. And that's how we think of it, cost-wise. The service can be dreadful.

I don't mind paying top dollar for pizza (even in NY, which means over-the-top dollar), but for any price I cannot tolerate nasty service. I am a paying customer who treats servers with respect and I expect the same. For that reason I will never go there based on what I've read here. UPN has been on my "to go to" list for quite a while but I just scratched it off. Thanks for the heads-up. --Ken
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18652
    RE: Restaurant of The Day 12/22 Una Pizza Napoletana 2007/12/22 20:25:08 (permalink)
    It's an absolutely gorgeous apizza, and if I could get my oven hot enough my pies would look exactly the same. And they'd certainly never have bacon or pepperoni on them.

On the other hand, $19 is way out of line.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Restaurant of The Day 12/22 Una Pizza Napoletana 2007/12/22 20:27:54 (permalink)

For me Pizza is a "Take it or Leave it" sort of dinner choice. So my comments are from a dis-interested soul.
    Today on the Food Network they had an hour's program on the best Pizza places in the U S A . A couple from California and Boston area, but the majority from either NYC area or Chicago. One of the N Y places they visited was the place you guys are discussing.

The presentation made the place out to be VERY Friendly and a family run business that really cares that the customer has a good Pizza. I think the comments here seem to conflict with the media coverage in the segment on TV.

No Matter. I wouldn't bother stopping there anyway. But I wish some of the media reviews were a bit more "Honest".
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Restaurant of The Day 12/22 Una Pizza Napoletana 2007/12/22 20:33:50 (permalink)
    Al, the crew was probably fed for free.. Thus the nice and friendly service opinion..
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Restaurant of The Day 12/22 Una Pizza Napoletana 2007/12/22 21:38:47 (permalink)
    Judging from this quote, he isn't considering lowering his prices.

"It hurts me, because they act as if I'm trying to get something over on them. I wish I had the nerve to charge $50, because that's what it's worth." Anthony Mangieri, Una Pizza Napoletana
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    RE: Restaurant of The Day 12/22 Una Pizza Napoletana 2007/12/22 22:51:37 (permalink)
    To clarify on service - it can be neglectful, and that's not good, but it's not as if it's like that every visit, every day. Many times the reception really is "nice and friendly."
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Restaurant of The Day 12/22 Una Pizza Napoletana 2007/12/22 23:49:15 (permalink)
    I'll give away a little secret here: just around the corner from Una Pizza Neopolitana on 1st Ave between 12th and 13th is LUZZOS PIZZARIA. In my opinion, it's the best brick-oven style pizza in Manhattan (they have one of the few remaining real-life grandfathered-in coal ovens). Everything is outstanding, and it's way more comfortable and inviting than UPN, and the staff is very warm and welcoming. They also make a mighty excellent espresso.

Martha Stewart is a regular there, but hopefully she won't blab about how great this place is and ruin it for the rest of us. The place does get crowded, but it's nothing like the line of blog-readers around the corner at UPN.

I stole this picture from another site:

It's even better than it looks.

ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    RE: Restaurant of The Day 12/22 Una Pizza Napoletana 2007/12/25 17:35:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

I'll have to confess...
    There are a few roadfood joints that for some reason just haven't intrigued me and therefore I have no desire to visit "ie. Sears Fine Foods in San Francisco and the Varsity in Atlanta". Unfortunately, I am putting this place in the same category.

WJ, you're definitely not missing anything at Sears Fine Foods, but the Varsity...I'll accept this ONLY IF you'll promise to try the Beacon in Spartanburg (hopefully you already have!) in lieu of it!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1