The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Restaurant of the Day

Texianjoe

• Total Posts: 639
Restaurant of the Day Sun, 10/29/06 9:14 AM (permalink)
La Posta de Mesilla,

I have eaten there three times while passing through Las Cruces on my way west. I have not been dissapointed yet. I ordered off the specialties menu because it comes with guacamole, drink and dessert. The flavors are different from what we are used to in Houston, we have mostly Tex-Mex, maybe thats why I enjoyed it so much.

Has anyone else tried this place and what do you think? Well stupid question, besides Michael Stern I mean.

joe

Donna Douglass

• Total Posts: 508
    RE: Restaurant of the Day Sun, 10/29/06 10:23 AM (permalink)
    Yes, we ate there once on our way thru Las Cruces some years back. It was an interesting experience and truly good food. Michael and Jane never led us astray. I can't recall what we ate since it was so long ago that we were there, but I do remember the parrots in the entrance and all the plants, and the historic building.

Donna

oltheimmer

• Total Posts: 214
      RE: Restaurant of the Day Sun, 10/29/06 2:09 PM (permalink)
      Never eaten at that place but New Mex Mex is good stuff. I wish there were pictures of the food, though. I've noticed lately there've been several reviews with no food pics.

Tex Mex is comfort food to me but I only do it 2 or 3 times a year. I hit taquerias more often. But there's just too many good places to eat here in Houston.

Texianjoe

RE: Restaurant of the Day Sun, 10/29/06 7:48 PM (permalink)
        Sorry oltheimmer I'm not very computer literate.

Here it the link they have a few pic.
        http://www.laposta-de-mesilla.com/
        [url][/url]

joe

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
          RE: Restaurant of the Day Sun, 10/29/06 8:04 PM (permalink)
          Well I checked out the whole menu. Now I'm REAL hungry. All that stuff sounds and looks great! I would need to stay a week and try everything. Thanks Joe!
          Joe

Texianjoe

RE: Restaurant of the Day Mon, 10/30/06 11:03 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Well I checked out the whole menu. Now I'm REAL hungry. All that stuff sounds and looks great! I would need to stay a week and try everything. Thanks Joe!
            Joe

lol, ROADTRIP!!!!

joe

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
              RE: Restaurant of the Day Mon, 10/30/06 12:35 PM (permalink)
              La Posta, IMHO, is good, however, not great. It benefits from superior marketing, history and location. There is a smaller, understated place across the townsquare, called Cafe Felix, that is less expensive, faster, and servers far better food. Michael wrote a review about Nellie's, that place is truly the pantheon of Mexican food in Las Cruces. If there was a poll conducted here at work amongst the locals for best food in town, Nellie's would win going away. Better burritos can be had at Go! Burger, on Lohman Avenue. They hang over a normal sized kitchen plate, run 3 bucks, and I would gladly pay double if the prices rose.

Texianjoe

RE: Restaurant of the Day Mon, 10/30/06 12:42 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by tamandmik

La Posta, IMHO, is good, however, not great. It benefits from superior marketing, history and location. There is a smaller, understated place across the townsquare, called Cafe Felix, that is less expensive, faster, and servers far better food. Michael wrote a review about Nellie's, that place is truly the pantheon of Mexican food in Las Cruces. If there was a poll conducted here at work amongst the locals for best food in town, Nellie's would win going away. Better burritos can be had at Go! Burger, on Lohman Avenue. They hang over a normal sized kitchen plate, run 3 bucks, and I would gladly pay double if the prices rose.

Thanks for the tip. I will try one of those next time I am in town. La Posta food was different from the usual we get in Texas so it was very good to me. It is always good to get tips from local folks.

joe

oltheimmer

RE: Restaurant of the Day Mon, 10/30/06 4:15 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Texianjoe

Sorry oltheimmer I'm not very computer literate.

Here it the link they have a few pic.
                  http://www.laposta-de-mesilla.com/
                  [url][/url]

joe

Thanks joe. I was busy looking for something like that locally and didn't even think to try to find the restaurant's website. I know there are a few places here that specialize in New Mexican Mexican but this is the only one I could find:

http://www.santafeflats.net/

At least I think I've heard of others. I was thinking of going out there yesterday for lunch but decided I wasn't that hungry and settled for a Cubano at El Rey.

Thanks also to tamandmilk for the local input. Hmmm. Las Cruces - let's see, fly to El Paso, rent a car......

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
                    RE: Restaurant of the Day Mon, 10/30/06 4:18 PM (permalink)
                    well, it's about time you texans
                    got turned on to the good stuff
                    green chiles rule.

Texianjoe

RE: Restaurant of the Day Mon, 10/30/06 6:02 PM (permalink)
                      Thanks for the tip oltheimmer. I have been looking for a NMMex restaurant since my last trip west. I heard of one called Zuni on tv but was never able to find any info, I think it closed down.

xannie, love those green chile enchiladas, I mentioned on another post the pork in adobo was excellent, I have not found anything close to it here.

joe

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
                        RE: Restaurant of the Day Mon, 10/30/06 6:14 PM (permalink)
                        i miss tex mex. you don't find it here
                        unless you go to pancho's.
                        i'll send you a meal from garcia's if you
                        send me one from el fenix.

Texianjoe

RE: Restaurant of the Day Mon, 10/30/06 6:54 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by xannie_01

i miss tex mex. you don't find it here
                          unless you go to pancho's.
                          i'll send you a meal from garcia's if you
                          send me one from el fenix.

Sounds like a plan. LOL

We almost lost El Fenix to a fire a few years back. It was iffy that they would reopen, but the owners said too many people counted on them for a living and they had too many loyal customers so they fixed it up and reopened. Leo's on Sheperd is gone, it is now a Randalls Flagship. They had pictures of countless celebrities on the walls. Those two were some of the first mexican food restaurants in town. They held a lot of history.

joe

oltheimmer

RE: Restaurant of the Day Tue, 10/31/06 4:55 AM (permalink)
                            I think Zuni was on Hwy 6, maybe in the Bear Creek area or further north. Must not have lasted long. I think I've heard of 2 or 3 NM style places in the last few years and that must've been one of them. I think there are other places that do things like the stacked enchiladas.

Both Chuy's and Central Market do Hatch chili festivals every year. I'm not exactly sure what's involved but I would think they would serve some authentic dishes using Hatch chilis and not just stand around looking at them .

You've totally got me baffled on El Fenix. I know there are several hundred Mexican restaurants in Houston and I sure don't know all of them, but I just can't place that one at all. I even dragged out my white pages directory and looked and found no listing and nothing on line comes up.

Leo's was the place that was favored by ZZ Top wasn't it? I believe the picture of the Tex-Mex spread on one of their albums was supposed to be from there. It was a block north of where the Randall's is and then moved up on Washington for a while before closing. I ate there a few times. Another one that is coming to me was Armando's, but I can't place where it was.

Texianjoe

RE: Restaurant of the Day Tue, 10/31/06 8:17 AM (permalink)
                              Correction to above post.

El Felix on Westheimer is the one that had the fire.

El Fenix was on the first floor of The Galleria Mall, it is gone.

joe

Texianjoe

RE: Restaurant of the Day Tue, 10/31/06 8:32 AM (permalink)
                                Armandos was just north of that around Welch St. behind a Taco Bell in an old converted house. They had the best queso fundido with mushrooms and home made flour tortillas.

joe

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                  RE: Restaurant of the Day Tue, 10/31/06 2:21 PM (permalink)
                                  Shoot Joe, I used to love eating at the Galleria El Finix in Dallas, and watchin em ice skate! The downtown Dallas field Street location is still my fav., ben goin there since 1952. I think El Finix may only be in the DFW area.

Olth, many beleive El Fenix started the Tex Mex revolution.
                                  Joe

oltheimmer

RE: Restaurant of the Day Tue, 10/31/06 5:12 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Olth, many beleive El Fenix started the Tex Mex revolution.
                                    Joe

I don't think so papj. Robb Walsh's book on Tex-Mex says El Fenix was founded in 1918. That same year, Felix Tijuerina took a job as a busboy at the Original Mexican Cafe on Main Street in Houston, which had been inspired by a place of the same name in San Antonio. The Original Mexican Cafe in Galveston, still in existence, claims 1916 for it's start.

Actually, Tex-Mex undoubtedly started in far south Texas so all we're talking about is when it moved north.

BTW, the Felix Tijuerina mentioned later had his own place, the Mexican Inn, also on Main. When that failed in the depression he went on to found Felix Mexican restaurants ca. 1935. The last of those, mentioned by Texianjoe above, is still in operation.

oltheimmer

RE: Restaurant of the Day Tue, 10/31/06 5:21 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:

Correction to above post.

El Felix on Westheimer is the one that had the fire.

El Fenix was on the first floor of The Galleria Mall, it is gone.

joe

Okay, I thought I posted this once, don't know what happened to it. The place on Westheimer is just Felix Mexican restaurant. I knew they had threatened to close (heard about it from MAAAAARRRRRRVIN ZINDLER - it's one of his favorites) but I didn't remember there had been a fire.

Now I guess I'm the one confused about Leo's. Where the Randall's is now was Jimmie Green Chevrolet which occupied the whole block except for a Gulf station as I recall. I thought Leo's was just north or Westheimer but maybe I was thinking of Armando's, or were they real close?

BTW, if you get out to Santa Fe Flats or find another NM place, be sure to report back, and I will do likewise.

oltheimmer

RE: Restaurant of the Day Sun, 11/5/06 7:11 AM (permalink)
                                        The history of Mexican restaurants, what we call Tex-Mex today, according to Robb Walsh's Tex-Mex Cookbook:

The Original Mexican Restaurant opened in San Antonio in 1900 at 117 Losoya St., a venture of Chicagoan Otis. M. Farnsworth who got the idea after a native San Antonian took him to a humble eatery in the Mexican quarter. It was not the first restaurant to serve some of the dishes but the first run by an Anglo for Anglo tastes. In fact the place Farnsworth was taken was very successful; well-heeled Anglos stood in line for a table.

An Original Mexican Restaurant opened in Houston in 1907 on Main Street, inspired by the San Antonio original which quickly became a favorite of the downtown business crowd. Walsh gives 1913 for the launch of the Original Mexican Restaurant in Galveston on Market St. at 14th, the only one of the first 3 still in existence.

El Fenix in Dallas started in 1918.

There was also an Original Mexican Restaurant in Ft. Worth on Camp Bowie started in 1926.

Like chili it appears San Antonio gets the credit for originating the Tex-Mex craze.

Texianjoe

RE: Restaurant of the Day Sun, 11/5/06 12:22 PM (permalink)
                                          I don't remember Jimmy Green Chevrolet. That section of Shepherd north of Westhiemer has been rebuilt in the last 5 or so years so it is difficult to remember where everything was. I do remember Leos being between Demaris BBQ and Kennelys Irish Pub, a span of about 3 blocks.

I tried Santa Fe Flats last night it was alright but not real NM cooking. It as mexican food with green chiles added. They have too many chicken dishes and not enough variety. No pork, no chile rellenos and no empanadas. Almost everything on the menu had melted Monterey Jack cheese on top, unnecessary imo. The stacked enchiladas at Tortugas are better,imo. I would go back but ask them to tweek the dish a little, leave off the cheese and they topped every thing with shredded lettuce and tomatoes which I can do without. The beer was ice cold so that made up for some of it. The munu also included grilled shrimp and fish tacos, I always thought N.M. was land locked, it in itself is not a bad thing, but they do claim to be an authentic New Mexico food restaurant.

joe

oltheimmer

RE: Restaurant of the Day Thu, 11/9/06 2:03 AM (permalink)
                                            Sorry to hear that about Santa Fe Flats. I didn't think the menu on-line looked very NM-ish.

Demeris and Kenneally's are still there. It must've been Leo's I went to from that description. I remember it as being in either the 1st or 2nd block north of Westheimer but my memory of that era is a bit hazy.

Texianjoe

RE: Restaurant of the Day Thu, 11/9/06 10:00 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by oltheimmer

Sorry to hear that about Santa Fe Flats. I didn't think the menu on-line looked very NM-ish.

Demeris and Kenneally's are still there. It must've been Leo's I went to from that description. I remember it as being in either the 1st or 2nd block north of Westheimer but my memory of that era is a bit hazy.

Hey, had to try it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Leos was an old white stucco style building. You would walk in right off the sidewalk. Armandos was a wooden frame house. It was behind a Taco Bell which is still there. You walked up the front porch steps and into a series of rooms with tables. Maybe that discription will jog your memory.

joe

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                                                • Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
                                                RE: Restaurant of the Day Thu, 11/9/06 11:32 AM (permalink)
                                                A few years ago we had Thanksgiving Dinner at Double Eagle, a rival to La Posta in Mesilla. We enjoyed it very much: sort of the "typical" Thanksgiving Buffet + NewMex Buffet. Nice atmosphere, also on the Plaza, old history, Victorian type decor (mirrors, paintings, etc with NM twist), resident ghost, etc. Made for a fun day.
                                                www.double-eagle-mesilla.com

oltheimmer

RE: Restaurant of the Day Thu, 11/9/06 6:30 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:

quote:
                                                  Originally posted by oltheimmer

Hey, had to try it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Leos was an old white stucco style building. You would walk in right off the sidewalk. Armandos was a wooden frame house. It was behind a Taco Bell which is still there. You walked up the front porch steps and into a series of rooms with tables. Maybe that discription will jog your memory.

joe

Hey thanks for taking one for the team, joe . Leo's was definitely the one I ate at, probably never Armando's. I drove by the Shepherd neighborhood when I was out for lunch today; can't place it for sure but I think it was just north of the KFC at Shepherd and Fairview; there's a 10 or 12 story building there now. Oh well, it's gone anyway and I don't remember the food all that well either .

tamandmik

RE: Restaurant of the Day Mon, 12/4/06 9:20 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by NYNM

A few years ago we had Thanksgiving Dinner at Double Eagle, a rival to La Posta in Mesilla. We enjoyed it very much: sort of the "typical" Thanksgiving Buffet + NewMex Buffet. Nice atmosphere, also on the Plaza, old history, Victorian type decor (mirrors, paintings, etc with NM twist), resident ghost, etc. Made for a fun day.
                                                    www.double-eagle-mesilla.com

We had our Xmas Party at Double Eagle on Saturday night. I ordered a sirloin aged steak, 8oz, and for 25 bucks, it was very underwhelming. Perhaps the kitchen had a bad day, but I was looking at others plates, and thought the portions were too meager to justify the outrageous prices. No one thought their meal was outstanding, most thought it was just ok, but not great, but I would not even go that far. I am in the minority when it comes to steaks: I prefer mine medium well to well done. I asked for a medium well, and it looked almost what I would consider to be rare.

Texianjoe

RE: Restaurant of the Day Mon, 12/4/06 9:54 AM (permalink)
                                                      tamandmik, don't take this the wrong way I'm not trying to belittle your comments. We have a restaurant in Galveston called The Ocean Grill. It is on a pier that sticks out over the Gulf of Mexico about 100yds. You can eat inside or out on a covered deck overlooking the gulf. They have excellent seafood espeacially grilled seafood as the name inplies. I took my wife and her twin sister and her husband there for their birthday one year and my brother in law ordered a steak. He complained it was to small, overcooked and had no flavor.

The moral to this long winded story. If you go to a seafood restaurant order the seafood. If you go to a steak house and get a bad steak then you can complain.

joe

tamandmik

• Location: Las Cruces, NM
                                                        RE: Restaurant of the Day Mon, 12/4/06 12:20 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:

tamandmik, don't take this the wrong way I'm not trying to belittle your comments. We have a restaurant in Galveston called The Ocean Grill. It is on a pier that sticks out over the Gulf of Mexico about 100yds. You can eat inside or out on a covered deck overlooking the gulf. They have excellent seafood espeacially grilled seafood as the name inplies. I took my wife and her twin sister and her husband there for their birthday one year and my brother in law ordered a steak. He complained it was to small, overcooked and had no flavor.

The moral to this long winded story. If you go to a seafood restaurant order the seafood. If you go to a steak house and get a bad steak then you can complain.

joe

I know what you mean Joe, the only problem is that the Double Eagle is a steakhouse, foremost. I know, this is in the Mexican Food thread, however, it's the only place where this particular establishment is mentioned.

Texianjoe

• Location: Houston, TX
                                                          RE: Restaurant of the Day Mon, 12/4/06 12:40 PM (permalink)
                                                          Double Eagle does have a rather eclectic menu, Mexican, Steaks, Italian even Seafood. I don't know that I would eat seafood in the middle of the desert though. I guess it would be hard to do so many things well.

joe

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com