Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/03/17 07:05:15 (permalink)
I never order steaks at a restaurant. They're something I can do cheaper and better at home. I like to concentrate on menu items that I don't do at home either to difficulty of preparation or unavailable ingredients.
mr. sausage
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/03/20 03:43:26 (permalink)
Make a nice compound butter, splurge on a really good wine (you can afford to...no eleven dollars for a side of asparagus). Prime and dry aged are nice but not absolutely necessary. If you really want to get your caveman/woman on, order up some hanger steaks from Lobels in New York and take the phone off the hook. Maybe some duck fat home fries. Call me.
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/03/22 12:58:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dadetigl

Honestly now. Discounting the ambiance of the restaurant. Is it worth the high prices?

Yep, maybe you are cheap . . . but so am I.

And NO amount of ambience is worth the prices that some restaurants charge for a steak and sides.

Like another poster said: I can go to a butcher shop and buy (or order) some prime, aged steaks, and feed FOUR PEOPLE a meal to remember for the same amount OR LESS than the over-priced restaurants can.

And I don't want to hear their argument about "overhead". They usually pay their employees "squat", and often treat their customers as a "bother."

Hey, if I want ambience, I will buy some candles.

NO WAY are the prices justified (in my opinion)!

End of rant.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/03/23 10:32:29 (permalink)
For health reasons, I have limited my beef consumption in general and my steak consumption to about 2 or 3 per year. So when I do indulge, I INDULGE, which means getting a 24 to 32 ounce top prime steak at a high-end steakhouse. Why? Because since I do it so rarely, paying $40 for the steak and $60-$70 for the whole meal isn't such a big deal. And since it is such a treat, I want the best possible quality, which, to me, means going to a place like Morton's, Ruth's Chris, or The Prime Rib here in the D.C. area.

To those of you who believe that you can do as well at home, God bless you, I'm sure that your steaks are delicious. But this article from a local magazine would seem to indicate that top steakhouses have some advantages in the quality of the available meat and the equipment used that would be difficult or impossible to duplicate at most homes. http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/diningguides/2804.html So for me, the quality of the steak at a top-notch steakhouse definitely makes it worth the additional expense.
biker jim
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 403
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/03/23 10:46:54 (permalink)
I sort of agree with everyone. I can get prime steak at a local butchers...great stuff. Sam's and Costco carry a very good choice rib-eye, NY, filet, etc... But the first time I had a sirloin at Mortons I almost cried it was so good. I usually don't go for the sirloin, not enough fat for my formerly skinny butt, but this steak was sublime. This was at Morton's mind you, I've never been impressed by Ruths Chris or any of the other high end joints in Denver. And yeah we don't go there that often but when we do it is for the experience, AND THE FOOD.
JBarry713
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/03/23 10:50:02 (permalink)
Steaks are overpriced at many of the finer steakhouses and I feel I can ususally come close to what they serve when I cook it at home. The one exception I have encountered is Luger's, I don't mind paying for that.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/07 10:20:16 (permalink)
My primary complaint is the degree steak has to be cooked to pass health department rules. We're out often and at Ryans, for instance, I have asked just how raw can we get by with before I order a steak. 15 seconds on each side on a flaming hot grill was one of their cook's answer. That is okay by me, and if he's there I may order one, but if a steak is going to be medium rare or worse I prefer to give it a pass. At home I can eat it raw, and most times my steak never touches the grill.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/07 10:47:34 (permalink)
I ate at Ryan's only ONCE. After sending my steak back three times for being overcooked (ordered rare), the manager brought the forth steak out to me personally. It was good, finally, but to go through that much trouble just to get a steak seemed a bit silly to me.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/07 12:19:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

I ate at Ryan's only ONCE. After sending my steak back three times for being overcooked (ordered rare), the manager brought the forth steak out to me personally. It was good, finally, but to go through that much trouble just to get a steak seemed a bit silly to me.
That's why I asked in advance and watched the cook grill it. I've done this twice now and this cook knows I want the steak mooing. The last steak he cooked draped over the sides of the plate, all I added were several ounces of sauteed mushrooms.
rouxdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/07 17:17:23 (permalink)
Steak at the house, my vote!
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/09 20:30:42 (permalink)
I DO like getting the steaks in restaurants, cause I can't get the grill marks like they can!

My condo development does NOT let us have charcoal grills outside....
my regular oven broiler just does'nt "cut it" , IMO!

I agree that Morton's is too overpriced.....
the Palm steakhouse is more "reasonable"......their steak is $38, but Mortons gets you for an extra 10 bucks (more like $48)...

plus all the side dishes are extra....

I agree that the service at the Ruth Chris' in Atlantic City was arragant...
I thought I was going to be thrown in the penalty box for ordering "regular ice water"

mrclean
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/09 21:35:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BunglingBill

quote:
Originally posted by dadetigl

Honestly now. Discounting the ambiance of the restaurant. Is it worth the high prices?

Yep, maybe you are cheap . . . but so am I.

And NO amount of ambience is worth the prices that some restaurants charge for a steak and sides.

Like another poster said: I can go to a butcher shop and buy (or order) some prime, aged steaks, and feed FOUR PEOPLE a meal to remember for the same amount OR LESS than the over-priced restaurants can.

And I don't want to hear their argument about "overhead". They usually pay their employees "squat", and often treat their customers as a "bother."

Hey, if I want ambience, I will buy some candles.

NO WAY are the prices justified (in my opinion)!

End of rant.

Amen Brother !!!!!
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/09 23:15:41 (permalink)
I very seldom buy a steak when eating out simply because there are no really outstanding restaurants within maybe 200 miles of me, and I can do a better job than most (maybe all) of the closer places. And when I go to a really nice joint, I tend to order things that I can't find in a nearby grocery store, let alone restaurant. I am not going to order steak at Arnaud's or Commander's or Antoine's!!
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/10 09:20:17 (permalink)
I liken steak to "celeberation food", at least when it comes to dining out. We are generally celebrating some sort of accomplishment within family. I'd say the ratio of cooking steaks at home to dining out is about 10:1. I'll probably have steak at a steakhouse once, or at most, twice a year.
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/10 09:29:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

I DO like getting the steaks in restaurants, cause I can't get the grill marks like they can!

I agree that the service at the Ruth Chris' in Atlantic City was arragant...
I thought I was going to be thrown in the penalty box for ordering "regular ice water"

Ellen:

We have one of those cast-iron "ribbed" skillets that we use for cooking steaks and fish. My wife has been able to get really nice "grill marks" on both steak AND fish.

She is hesitant to tell me all of her "secrets" , but I think she gets the skillet super hot BEFORE searing the steak.

Secondly, I agree with you about Ruth Chris'. I felt that they were WAY over-priced and snooty as hell. They'll never see a return visit from us!
mr. sausage
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/11 03:18:49 (permalink)
Did you really watch the cook grill your steak? Twice?. Your passion for barely warm meat is extraordinary. Am I to understand that, at home, you often skip the cooking step completely? This is interesting stuff.
I'm a guy who enjoys carpaccio and steak tartare from time to time. With a steak, though, I want the marbling to have a chance to melt and flavor the meat a bit. I also enjoy the contrast between a salty, seasoned crust and the rare to medium rare juiciness within. Some cuts (ribeye, for example) have so much internal fat that to eat them extremely rare would be, I think, a mistake. A filet, now that's another story. Knock yourself out and eat it right out of the cryovac
quote:
Originally posted by dickestep

My primary complaint is the degree steak has to be cooked to pass health department rules. We're out often and at Ryans, for instance, I have asked just how raw can we get by with before I order a steak. 15 seconds on each side on a flaming hot grill was one of their cook's answer. That is okay by me, and if he's there I may order one, but if a steak is going to be medium rare or worse I prefer to give it a pass. At home I can eat it raw, and most times my steak never touches the grill.
Rustywolf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/12 13:02:49 (permalink)
Boy, this is such a tough choice. I've had some awesome steak dinners while dining out, but I have to say my home-cooked pan fry ribeyes are close to their equal.

The other night, I found a great deal on a couple of ribeyes, about 14 oz. each, which cost me $13 and change for both. I marinated them for about an hour, pan-fried them in my cast iron skillet, and served them with home fries cut from a giant leftover baked potato and asparagus (99 cents a pound).

The cost for the two of us was, with beer and a slice of pie for dessert, was less than 10 bucks each. The steaks and accompaniments were out of this world, IMHO.

Now, you can get a marginally better meal featuring the same ingredients while dining out, but it would run you maybe $75, give or take $10 either way.

So my final answer is this: If it is just the two of us, I opt for staying home. For a party of four or more, the hassle of cooking isn't worth it, and it's more fun with a larger party. Plus, your guests can order whatever they want and what do you care (unless you're paying!).

- Rusty

Medrare
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/15 14:18:54 (permalink)
From NYC to Chicago down to Miami, my best "steak out" was a Rib Eye at Dicky Brennans in New Orleans.

I took an extra lipitor that night

This is an age old argument in my house,dispite all the good steaks Iv grilled, I like the night out, martini,creamed spinach, experience, at a steak house.
RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/15 14:51:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rustywolf

I marinated them for about an hour,

- Rusty

In what did you marinade these steaks rusty? I'm always on the lookout for a great steak marinade.

I'd really like to find one similar to carabba's but no luck so far.

Rustywolf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/16 12:54:05 (permalink)
Larry -

About an hour before I cook my ribeyes (the only steak I like to pan-fry in a cast iron skillet), I poke them all over with a serving fork, then liberally douse them with Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce.

That's it. No salt. No pepper. No nothing else. I cut through the fat rings so the steaks won't curl up in the pan.

I let the skillet, with some olive oil and butter in it, get smokin' hot. Then carefully put the steaks in so the sizzling and spitting pan oil doesn't get you! Cook until it suits your taste.

Generally, I undercook the steaks - but long enough to get a good char going on the outside. Then I put the steaks in a preheated oven on an ovenproof dinner plate to "rest" before serving. They're still cooking internally.

I lower the heat in the pan, add some red wine, butter, sage, and fresh thyme, and throw in sliced mushrooms. I saute these. This usually "deglazes" the pan so it's easier to clean.

Works for us.

Good eating!

- Rusty

V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/24 17:33:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Barry

Steaks are overpriced at many of the finer steakhouses and I feel I can ususally come close to what they serve when I cook it at home. The one exception I have encountered is Luger's, I don't mind paying for that.

My Father used to have one of their cards...Wonderful place. The salads are to die for but the steaks are to give your soul for.

I'm sorry my Lord for that statement.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/24 18:21:36 (permalink)
After reading the comments about Ruth Chris, I'm wondering if I should skip a visit there. My boyfriend is staying near one(he heard of it from me speaking of Roadfood)in Tampa and wants to take me there next time I go down there. We passed on one we saw in Jacksonville Beach. And, I prefer to cook my steaks at home. I like them RARE and it's difficult to find a restaurant that cooks mine to order.
If you know of a good steak house in Tampa, please share.
Barney
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/24 22:01:13 (permalink)
I've got to say that my one visit to Ruth Chris's Steakhouse (VA Beach) was a bit disappointing. The servers seemed to be bothered when asked for something we should have had and they got our order wrong. The steak was good but I will give them their due on the Banana Cream pie....it was worth every morsel! I don't plan on going back, however. Barney
SBXSTR
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/25 12:26:40 (permalink)
My wife and I visit our local (Hartford CT) Ruth's Chris every few months of so and and have always been more that happy and satisfied with the experience. It certainly is not inexpensive, but the steaks are great, the wine list is good, and the staff is very professional. In my opinion, anyone who says he can find locally (those in large cities with access to dry aged beef excepted) and prepare a better steak than Ruth's is being subjective and letting his wallet color the judgement.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/26 16:59:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

After reading the comments about Ruth Chris, I'm wondering if I should skip a visit there. My boyfriend is staying near one(he heard of it from me speaking of Roadfood)in Tampa and wants to take me there next time I go down there. We passed on one we saw in Jacksonville Beach. And, I prefer to cook my steaks at home. I like them RARE and it's difficult to find a restaurant that cooks mine to order.
If you know of a good steak house in Tampa, please share.

One thing that I've found from occasionally going to a high-end steak house is that they do seem to do a better job of cooking your steak to the desired degree of "done-ness" than your local Ryan's or Ponderosa. Often, they'll have printed explanations on the menus of what they understand "rare" and "medium" and so forth to mean, and in my experience, they almost always hit the mark. I wouldn't let that stop me from going to Ruth's Chris (especially if your boyfriend is paying for it!)
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/26 17:05:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

I agree that Morton's is too overpriced.....
the Palm steakhouse is more "reasonable"......their steak is $38, but Mortons gets you for an extra 10 bucks (more like $48)...

plus all the side dishes are extra....

Interesting. I recently ate at one of the Morton's here in Wash. DC with a friend, and the Porterhouse, which was their most expensive steak for one (and the one I assume you're referring to) was $44. I wonder if their prices vary from location to location?
BTB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/27 06:32:41 (permalink)
Rusty246, there are so many good steak houses in Tampa. Ruth Chris' is not one of them, tho. My favorite is Charley's on Cypress St, just off the expressway (http://www.charleyssteakhouse.com/location-tampa.html). Great steaks. Many in Tampa, though, believe the famous Bern's Steakhouse is the best, but I think they are highly overrated and super expensive. But dining there is a unique experience.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/04/27 07:24:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BTB

Rusty246, there are so many good steak houses in Tampa. Ruth Chris' is not one of them, tho. My favorite is Charley's on Cypress St, just off the expressway (http://www.charleyssteakhouse.com/location-tampa.html). Great steaks. Many in Tampa, though, believe the famous Bern's Steakhouse is the best, but I think they are highly overrated and super expensive. But dining there is a unique experience.

Thanks BTB. We were in fact discussing our diappointments last night. Sounds like Charley's will be the place to try. We also thought we'd ask some locals their choices, but the last time we did that we had some not so great seafood....
NYC2SoCal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/05/31 02:17:46 (permalink)
Sorry for jumping in late. I have not been on this forum in ages, but would like to add my $0.02.. Yes, I love to cook steaks on my grill.. New York Strips or Porterhouses (Choice or Prime). My steaks are on par with most restaurants, but, there are the ones that you just can't touch.

The one that comes to mind is Peter Lugers. My favorite steak house in the country (and believe me, I have eaten at many high end steakhouses).

I pay top dollar for meat I cannot make myself. I was in Minneapolis a couple of weeks ago, and went to Mannys.. it was praised up and down the block. The meat was very good. The cooked meat was, ok.. Dinner by myself? $112.. wow... All I kept thinking about was lugers.. :)

So back to other comments about Ruth Chris'.. Ruth Chris is my favorite CHAIN steakhouse (more than 3-4 locations). Smith and Wollensky, Mortens... not in my top 10.. I think the one that comes closest to Ruth Chris' is probably Palm (once again, all in the "chain" category). I like Ruth Chris' because I know its a place where I can expect very good food and some pampering. I have never had bad service at Ruth Chris'...

Once again, just my $0.02
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4009
RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/07/03 14:34:06 (permalink)
God Bless Sam's Club and COSTCO for their $8/lb. tenderloin.

Coat them in Char-Crust's "Original Hickory" rub, let them rise to room temperature and throw them on a hot charcoal grill, turn only once.

www.charcrust.com in case your local grocery doesn't carry it. You'll recognize it in your grocery's rub section because the packaging is like a pint milk carton.

In the Winter get a Cuisinart "Griddler" and cook on "sear". (This rig is a superior knock-off of the "Foreman Grill" - $129 and worth every cent).

This six buck hunk of meat is 90% as good as a $45 12 oz. filet at Morton's! (That said, ambiance can well be worth the money: in my single days whenever I treated a lovely women to a dinner at The Prime Rib on K St., WDC., "dessert" was always a certainty).

Here's some additional info on Prime vs. Choice tenderloin:

"A filet mignon trades off intensity of flavor for tenderness. Steakhouses love diners who order filets because, despite its reputation for being costly, it is the most profitable cut on the menu. Cut from a muscle that is underexercised, and the least marbled cut among premium steaks, it requires no dry-aging to make it tender; a less-expensive USDA Choice filet is as tender as a USDA Prime filet, so many steakhouses feel there's no need to offer the more expensive grade". Copied from: http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/diningguides/2804.html

Sam's/COSTCO's filet is USDA Choice.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1