Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
dadetigl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
2007/01/30 19:37:18 (permalink)

Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks?

Maybe I'm just cheap, but after eating in fine steakhouses in FL like Bern's, Del Frisco's and Charlie's, I have decided that I can grill a steak at home "almost" as good for 1/4 of what they charge. Sure it's not prime, but I can get some pretty good cuts of meat at the Fresh Market or Sam's. I can't get my grill as hot as theirs but my steaks still come out rare with nice grill marks. After 2 or 3 drinks before dinner, I don't think I would be able to tell the difference between prime and choice anyway. Maybe aged steak.

I don't really care if you can cut it with a spoon or a butter knife, to me, it's not worth the $30-$50 for a steak in these high end places unless you're Bill Gates or Tiger Woods. I do not have an expense account with my job. My home-cooked steaks may not be as tender but they still taste great.

We still go to one of these places every so often, but for a high end meal, we usually pick a very nice seafood or Italian place to eat because I'm not very good at cooking that stuff.

End of rant.

Honestly now. Discounting the ambiance of the restaurant. Is it worth the high prices?

60 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/01/30 19:45:59 (permalink)
    This debate has been aired before. The reason being "prime" vs. "choice" meats. Stand by dadetigl... Not to say I don't enjoy one over the other, but I favor home cooking. Why pay $45+ for one steak, etc., when I can get a whole tenderloin for a similar price? Ambiance is only a perception in one's mind, BTW...
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/01/30 20:19:42 (permalink)
    Always at home!! Cheaper and Better
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/01/30 21:02:56 (permalink)
    I'm sure this subject has been brought up in the past but I didn't go far enough back in this forum to locate it.
    The reason for this post is that a friend went to Shula's steakhouse this past week and told me it was very good but also told me what he paid!! That didn't include salad or potato. A'la carte. Holy sh*t! I went to Shula's website to see for myself, but they don't list prices. Neither does Ruth's Chris. I can see why. Sticker shock would keep me away.
    I'll cook it myself.
    Prime or choice? Dollars or SENSE?
    Have at me.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/01/31 07:09:49 (permalink)
    Yep, I can feed four people a great steak and all the trimming's for the price of most restaurant steaks.

John
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/01/31 07:17:05 (permalink)
    I really enjoy being waited on, enjoy the thought of not having to clean up after myself, And most of all if it's over or under cooked I have the option of sending it back. Also I have the right to change my mind on a menu selection. For this alone it's worth the price. Chow Jim
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15209
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/01/31 10:35:36 (permalink)
    I have tried the upper-end ala-carte steak house (Morton's) I felt it was really not worth the large bill...not a good value for the money. I do enjoy a steak dinner at some of the less expensive places like some of the Roadhouses (Texas or Logan's) or Lone Star. While they are by no means "fine-dining", I am more comfortable in that environment and wind up with a bill for two in the $50-60 range, which makes it a 'nice dinner', not a drain on the resources.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6721
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/01/31 11:11:36 (permalink)
    I too have tried the upper end places, Morton's, Grill 23 where the dry-aged 14 oz. NY is $44 and mashed potatoes are $7!!!! Puhleese! So yes, I prefer home-cooked steaks and can buy a Prime dry aged steak and pay way less.

BUT WAIT!

I ate at Archie's Waeside in Iowa last week. They put a complimentary relish tray on the table to start (nobody does THAT anymore!). I ordered an Iowa corn-fed dry aged choice NY that was listed on the menu as 12 oz. No way, it was easily 16 oz. With the steak came a HUGE tossed salad with hunks of Maytag blue cheese in the dressing, potato or veg and sauteed mushrooms. Price: $17.50!!!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15209
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/01/31 11:37:16 (permalink)

Lisa,
    Now that is an example of great eating! We would drive a considerable distance to enjoy a meal like that. Archies Waeside is a Classic!

I am not sure which sets me off more about the Urban Sterotypical "Up-Scale" steakhouse... The pretense of arrogance that permeates the place from doorman to wait-help or the size of the check (in both cases relative to the quality of the meal).

There must be a middle ground for food servers that will take care of their customers, without the arrogance of the upper-end and the downhome fake 'friend of the family' attitude of the chain places.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13479
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/01/31 11:49:02 (permalink)
    Sounds like Lisa visited a super place. I was in Iowa last week. I am not sure where Archies is located. I was in the western part of the state at Council Bluff.

Archies sounds like my kind of place.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/01/31 12:13:10 (permalink)
    Paul, Archie's is in Le Mars, about 125 mi. north of Council Bluffs......I'd drive it in a heartbeat! While in Le Mars you can kill 3 birds with one stone: Archie's, Blue Bunny Ice Cream Parlour and Bob's Drive-In where the hot dogs go "SNAP SNAP"!
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/01/31 12:19:34 (permalink)
    I too can make a better steak and fixins at home. I usually buy a rib roast and cut my own 1.5" steaks. A much better deal.

But Wait, there's more! We do enjoy going to places like Logan's or Outback occasionally.

MikeS.
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/01/31 13:51:07 (permalink)
    I will always prefer a top of the line steakhouse to cooking at home. However, I see no reason to spend good money on low end steak like they serve at Outback or Longhorns (or any one of the thousand others cut from the same cloth). Cooking at home will always beat that experience for me.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13479
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/01/31 14:17:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Paul, Archie's is in Le Mars, about 125 mi. north of Council Bluffs......I'd drive it in a heartbeat! While in Le Mars you can kill 3 birds with one stone: Archie's, Blue Bunny Ice Cream Parlour and Bob's Drive-In where the hot dogs go "SNAP SNAP"!

I probably drove very close to it. I think Al suggested it to me earlier. I believe it was close to Sioux City?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/01/31 14:34:28 (permalink)
    I prefer to have steaks at home- and I can purchase meat that is comperable to whatever may be served at any steakhouse- even Kobe beef is available- you just have to know where to look for it.
    A good steak and all the sides at home, heck, I can feed 4 for what you would pay at a "steak" house of any type of steak dinner with potatoes, etc.
    Did I read right, $7.00 for a side order of mashed spuds? Has the whole world gone nutz? FOr $7.00 here in Texas you can buy 10# of potatoes and the cream and the butter. Geeze- I sure am working in the wrong business.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/01/31 23:59:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:

I probably drove very close to it. I think Al suggested it to me earlier. I believe it was close to Sioux City?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Paul, Le Mars is about 23 miles from Sioux City! You were in close proximity.......hit it next trip.
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/02/01 16:08:02 (permalink)
    quote:

Paul, Le Mars is about 23 miles from Sioux City! You were in close proximity.......hit it next trip.

I was born in Sioux City and remember when I was a young lad my Dad used to take us to the Le Mars sandpit lakes to go swimming. Seemed like a 2 hour drive to me back then.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2979
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/02/02 09:55:31 (permalink)
    I did a post style review of my experience at Ruth's Chris in AC; it was not good, but the reason wasn't so much the food as it was the arrogance that The Mayor referred to. The steak was OK enough.

Not every steak I've grilled myself has come out done properly. I've spent $17/lb for the really good stuff and ruined it through inattentiveness. I've blown $100+ and created tough prime rib.

I don't eat out for the value, I eat out for the experience. I've spent $100 pp for memorable dining. Thing is, I didn't get memorable dining at Ruth's Chris. The experience was somewhere between forgettable and unpleasant; just slightly bad enough to avoid being unforgettable.

Few of us make a life out of dining out. I think it's safe to assume that most of us dine out between once a week and once a month. I still have to say that the best steaks I've ever had have been in restaurants. I am finally able to recreate the best prime rib at home, but I've never been able to equal the best restaurant steaks I've ever had.

And I'll agree with The Mayor, don't sell the "roadhouse" chains short. The quality is pretty decent and the value is high.

Tom
    Mack184
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/02/02 10:28:16 (permalink)
    I agree with Jimeats, I like going out, being waited on, and not having to clean up. I'm not made of money, but I don't mind paying the price. We certainly don't do it on a weekly basis, so it's a welcome treat.
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/02/02 10:30:54 (permalink)
    I certainly agree that a cooked-at-home steak dinner will always be less expensive than what is charged at the high-end places (Ruth's Chris, Mortons, Palm, et al). But what does that prove? Only that if counting dollars is the primary thing, then home is where you should eat.

Isn't it also true that people go to these places for the overall dining experience? The food is just one component of that. Given the prices charged at these places, dinner there would be a special occasion event for most folks. Attentive service, pleasant surroundings, lots of choice--all of these would contribute to both the experience and the cost. I believe arguing home vs. "out" is like comparing apples to oranges. They're both good, but they're different.

I also think that chain places like Ruth's Chris are comprised of individual links in the chain, that is, a bad or good experience at one location is just that. The next location may be much better (or worse). I've had wonderful dinners at the Mortons in Hartford--the service was professional but not snooty or overbearing. The food was delicious. One the best steaks (and dining experiences) my wife and I have had. In fact, she commented that it was one of her absolute favorite restaurants.

I can't afford to go out to these places very often. But, when I can, I really enjoy it.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/02/02 11:09:27 (permalink)

My reasons for not eating steak when dining out is due to my desire to eat things that I cannot prepare at home. I have the similar attitude for other cuisines.
    I -will- go for a prime rib as I like how the slow roasting creates a different meal as opposed to a rib-eye that is grilled.
    There is an upscale steakhouse down the road and nearby is a large Italian/Greek family restaurant that has prime rib every weekend. Both places have escargot!! The difference in prices and the cute waitresses helps in my decision for the family style place.

mark
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6382
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/02/04 03:22:32 (permalink)
    I have eaten some mighty fine steaks out on the town, better than I could ever do at home.

That being said, I really enjoy a home cooked steak also.

I have eaten some High End steaks that should have been served at a sizzler, and I have had some no name places serve some great pieces of meat.

Never set expectations when eating steak out (I know impossible to do), but if you are going to Smith & Wollensky and tell yourself this is going to be the best steak I have ever had, and it turns out to be a sizzler steak, then you get this feeling of I paid $60 for this!

If you just go to enjoy the experience, then most of the time you won't be let down!

Just my nickles worth!
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/02/06 20:40:46 (permalink)
    To wrap this topic up, it seems that the majority of the posters can cook a better steak at home. Dining at the high-end steakhouses is for the experience but not necessarily a better steak. More expensive and more kiss a** service = dollars. Is it worth the $40 extra? I mean, doesn't everyone's spouse approach you at the home dinner table with a perfectly cooked steak held high over her head in minimal clothing? Me either. Just dreaming!
    Thank you for your posts.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/02/07 07:05:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dadetigl

To wrap this topic up, it seems that the majority of the posters can cook a better steak at home. Dining at the high-end steakhouses is for the experience but not necessarily a better steak. More expensive and more kiss a** service = dollars. Is it worth the $40 extra? I mean, doesn't everyone's spouse approach you at the home dinner table with a perfectly cooked steak held high over her head in minimal clothing? Me either. Just dreaming!
    Thank you for your posts.

When I do that she tells me to put my t-shirt back on.

John
    genewj
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/02/08 20:21:30 (permalink)
    i can get Prime, and I've cooked litterly 1000's of steaks..Guess where i eat my steak??LOL
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/02/08 20:25:52 (permalink)
    I love to grill my steaks,and have become quite good at it,but I still like to go out for good steaks-I like to be waited on sometimes,and I have a couple favorite prime rib places I like to go to as I havent mastered prime rib at home to my satisfaction.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/02/08 21:18:51 (permalink)
    I agree with Ann..
    You go out to eat, and you know you are going to drop a good amount of cash.
    The reason?
    Because you want to be waited on, and treated special........
    You arent paying for the steak.. you are paying for a little self indulgence, and whats the matter with that?
    Nothing!
    We love us!..Therefore we pamper us!
    Suspended
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/02/10 20:07:07 (permalink)
    I will go to a high-end big city steakhouse with friends if that's where they want to go, but it's never my suggestion. I will almost always order prime rib, as that is something I cannot easily make at home.

If I am in a small Midwestern town (say LaSalle IL or one of the towns north of Ames IA), I will go to the local steakhouse because they are usually an excellent value. I will do this especially in the winter, when I don't cook as much steak myself at home. But I've learned not to order prime rib, as it tends to be too cottony.

Otherwise, I'll buy steaks for myself at Costco, and steaks for guests at my local butcher (Casey's in Western Springs IL), and cook them on the Weber Genesis B at home. I can get that up to about 600-650 degrees for the initial sear,
    db1105
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/03/11 21:01:00 (permalink)
    I'll go out for prime rib, but prefer to cook all other steaks at home.
    iqdiva
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: Restaurant or Home-cooked steaks? 2007/03/15 14:50:48 (permalink)
    Home-cooked steaks everytime !
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1