Restaurant "Mascots"

Author
booboobirdie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
2003/11/28 11:28:23 (permalink)

Restaurant "Mascots"

That picture of the mascot at the Dorset Inn, Fergie, is just too cute! I think I would have bought her her own serving of pancakes, and fed them to her with my own fork!
Reminded me of a cute little deli on Cape Cod (Harwichport perhaps), called the Caper Cafe, where their somewhat elderly golden retriever hangs out outside in one of the owner's vehicles, greeting customers as they pull in.
Though I know the idea of mixing pets with restaurants does not sit well with some people, does anyone have any other stories of cute and furry restaurant "employees"? I've always been attracted to pet-friendly places (having 7 of my own critters).

16 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Restaurant "Mascots" 2003/11/28 12:08:11 (permalink)
    In Goshen, NY (ex-home of the Hambletonian trotting race) there was (maybe still is) an elegant old hotel, the Orange Inn I think it was called. When I was a youngster and my Dad liked to play the horses (real live bookies competing for business at The Good Time Race Track - pre pari mutual)) we would go into the hotel and were always greeted by a huge St Bernard with an uplifted paw to shake.

Also can't forget the ducks at the Peabody in Memphis!
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Restaurant "Mascots" 2003/11/28 14:01:07 (permalink)
    When I was a kid we used to go to a place called Culp's. There was a German Shepherd that lived in a house across the street. We loved to go early and get there just before they opened for dinner because when the owner came out to unlock the door, he'd have a paper doggy bag in his hand. The dog would be waiting, he'd take the doggy bag in his mouth and trot back to his own yard, where he'd lie down and tear the bag open and feast on the scraps that the owner had saved for him!
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Restaurant "Mascots" 2003/11/28 15:56:31 (permalink)
    We never met the late "Buddy," rooster / maitre d' at the San Marcos Cafe in Cerrillos, NM, but you can still buy refrigerator magnets with his picture on them, as seen in this display on an old stove in the dining room. Buddy is in the upper left and lower right. We don't know who the sleeping dog is, nor if the skull is that of a favorite cow.

and here's another from New Mexico, one of our all-time favorite mascots, at Sugar's in Embudo. An amazingly acrobatic bulldog, she lept onto the adobe wall and hung there, watching us eat our brisket and chile burritos:

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Restaurant "Mascots" 2003/11/28 19:40:08 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Many years ago, I remember eating an early breakfast with my folks at a U. S. 411-side eatery in Ocoee, Tennessee. A "tiger" cat came up and stropped our legs, paying the most attention to the-then-about-4-year-old me. I knelt down and petted the cat. Then we opened the screen door and walked in.
    As the proprietress sat us, my father (who was very much a cat lover) remarked "Nice kitty-cat welcoming committee-of-one you've got there. Is he yours?"
    "Well, not really," she sighed. "He owns the place; we all just work for him." - He showed up the day she took over the eatery and had been there every day of the 11 years since. Although he's surely no longer there, maybe one of his progeny inherited his valuable position as Official Restaurant Greeter Of Ocoee, Tennessee. I still remember his cat-smile and questioningly-crooked tail.
    A Whet Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, About 125 Miles Down The Pike(s) From Ocoee.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Restaurant "Mascots" 2003/11/28 21:27:19 (permalink)
    Do fish count as mascots? In Newburgh, NY there is a trendy restaurant on the riverfront with a huge fish tank occupied by numerous beautiful fish. the bar room in this place is separated from the dining room by this 20 foot long tank. The rooms are very nicely decorated but the food is entirely forgetable and the fish dont seem to react one way or another...
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7058
    RE: Restaurant "Mascots" 2003/11/29 02:01:35 (permalink)
    Any animal counts as a mascot! I've had numerous amounts of cats and dogs, and yes, the cats rule the roost. They let US live with them, not the other way around. We now are married to a nearly 17-year old cat that pays the mortgage and lets us live with her. Provided that I share some of my can of tuna. (Darned cat!)
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Restaurant "Mascots" 2003/11/29 03:22:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Do fish count as mascots? In Newburgh, NY there is a trendy restaurant on the riverfront with a huge fish tank occupied by numerous beautiful fish. the bar room in this place is separated from the dining room by this 20 foot long tank. The rooms are very nicely decorated but the food is entirely forgetable and the fish dont seem to react one way or another...

Has Landry's built a Fertittaland there . Sounds like their 'Aquarium' Restaurants, right down to the forgettable food.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Restaurant "Mascots" 2003/11/29 06:21:12 (permalink)
    I like the seagulls that are part of The Clam Shack in Kennebunkport, ME. And,if I were to come back as a pigeon, I'd join the the large pigeon population that frequents Pat's King of Steaks and Geno's in South Philly. Man, that must be pigeon heaven...
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: Restaurant "Mascots" 2003/11/30 12:53:18 (permalink)
    This is "The Lost Dog", a coffee shop in Shepherdstown, West Virginia. A college town, Shepherdstown is quite small, across the Potomac river from Sharpsburg, Maryland (where the Battle of Antietam was fought). The Lost Dog is named for a dog which the owners took in, and was the shop's mascot for many years, until his demise. Photos of him adorn the front wall. The tiny shop plays blues music, and art prints and stained glass are for sale on the walls. There are some toys for children, and newspapers and books for adult patrons. Crowded, but fantastic coffee. I haven't been there in some time, however, so I couldn't tell you any more about the dog, I'm afraid.

http://www.shepherdstownvisitorscenter.com/section.asp?section_name=Shopping&entity_id=162

Someone with the handle "skits" has posted the following about the place in some other discussion forum, "One of my favorite places for coffee is in Shepherdstown, West Virginia. Pretty much anywhere in town is good. lol But my very favorite place is The Lost Dog cafe. Awesome coffee, and if you're not in the mood for coffee, they have Italian sodas, and chai tea. Yummy stuff."

An online search also shows a band playing there, but for the life of me I can't imagine getting much of a band into that tiny venue.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    RE: Restaurant "Mascots" 2003/11/30 16:16:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

I like the seagulls that are part of The Clam Shack in Kennebunkport, ME. And,if I were to come back as a pigeon, I'd join the the large pigeon population that frequents Pat's King of Steaks and Geno's in South Philly. Man, that must be pigeon heaven...

When my friend and I got our first jobs as teenagers, we'd take turns treating eachother to lunch at Tony's on the pier. Seagulls always hung around outside the screenless windows and you could feed them crackers. Once we decided to try and see if we could lead a seagull inside the restaurant with a trail of bread. It was surprisingly easy. What bedlam! Women ducked under tables as busboys chased this giant, flapping bird around.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4091
    RE: Restaurant "Mascots" 2003/12/01 13:32:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

When my friend and I got our first jobs as teenagers, we'd take turns treating eachother to lunch at Tony's on the pier. Seagulls always hung around outside the screenless windows and you could feed them crackers. Once we decided to try and see if we could lead a seagull inside the restaurant with a trail of bread. It was surprisingly easy. What bedlam! Women ducked under tables as busboys chased this giant, flapping bird around.

I love that Tony's still has it's menu from the 50's posted outside. I always wish they'd roll back their prices for a day like that!
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Restaurant "Mascots" 2003/12/01 14:10:29 (permalink)
    We have lunch a couple of times a week at Barnaby's Cafe (the original on Fairview). The cafe is named after the owner's Old English Sheepdog who has passed on, but the place is painted with clouds on the ceiling with winged slippers, bones,steaks, and a Barnaby angel. The walls have a dog bone pattern. Well-behaved dogs are welcome on the patio.

The food is fantastic. 7.00 for a mixing-bowl size Cobb salad that is mostly Cobb and little salad.

I just got back from lunch there - had the blue cheese burger
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Restaurant "Mascots" 2004/10/23 06:04:20 (permalink)
    Marietta, GA has "The Big Chicken" a huge chicken head that sits atop a KFC and has eyes that move. Anyway, directions in Marietta are given as a distance from "the big chicken". Not being a KFC fan it has not enticed me into the restaurant.

carl reitz
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Restaurant "Mascots" 2004/10/23 07:38:28 (permalink)
    Sir Henry the Puffy Taco, representing a San Antonio restaurant...

also one of two mascots of the San Antonio Missions minor league baseball team, the other being Ballapeno...

Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Restaurant "Mascots" 2004/10/23 08:13:06 (permalink)
    Guess this really won't count as a "mascot" story, but there is an upscale restaurant in Columbus, OH, that has small bowls of goldfish on several tables in place of flowers. Neat idea and different.

Also, in LaJolla, CA, at Torrey Pines Golf Course, we sat eating breakfast one morning and in walked a bird (can't recall what kind, probably Sparrow), who policed the floor under the tables for crumbs. The waitress said it checks in several times a day just to keep the floor clean. That was fun.

Donna
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Restaurant "Mascots" 2004/10/23 08:37:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Donna Douglass

Guess this really won't count as a "mascot" story, but there is an upscale restaurant in Columbus, OH, that has small bowls of goldfish on several tables in place of flowers. Neat idea and different.

I don't know that I'd call Lulu's "upscale", but we'd never had a bad meal there, never a great one, but never a bad one... The PETA people don't like the goldfish on the table, though...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1