Restaurante Tortillas in 'Cat' City, CA

Author
papi
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2004/02/26 18:30:29 (permalink)

Restaurante Tortillas in 'Cat' City, CA

Family owned and operated, "Tortillas", located on Cathedral Canyon Rd at Ramon in Cathedral City, CA offers, among many other dishes, my faves, great quesadillas de carne asada, menudo, ceviche de camarrón, 'kicka**' salsa, English on request. They provide fresh-made flour or very 'corny' yellow tortillas w/nearly all menu items, but it's hard to find bad tortillas at any Mexican eatery this close to the Mexican border. ;-) Most of the patrons are Latin, an indicator of good authentic cuisine. Great menu! Oh, and they do great breakfasts as well, especially chorizo and eggs.[8D

10 Replies Related Threads

Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Restaurante Tortillas in 'Cat' City, CA 2004/02/27 08:58:14 (permalink)
    WHAATTT???? I CAN"T HEAR YOU !!!! IS THIS AN AD???
    Cosmos
    RE: Restaurante Tortillas in 'Cat' City, CA 2004/02/27 09:10:56 (permalink)
    Lets try and turn this into a more constructive post. I live in central New York, and have a bitch of a time finding just plain old yellow corn tortillas. If I can find corn tortillas at all (about an 85% chance), they are white corn, which I think taste different...more bland.

Is this a white bread consumer trend, or a conspiracy? Do consumers not want that exotic yellow corn, or do the grocery store think that white's what we want?

Also, I only find corn tortillas in taco size, which makes for dainty enchiladas. Anybody else outside of the southwest experience this?
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: Restaurante Tortillas in 'Cat' City, CA 2004/02/27 09:34:04 (permalink)
    At least you can find white corn tortillas. Over here in England, all we get are wheat flour tortillas. No corn tortillas in sight most of the time. It's a complete hit-and-miss thing over here...
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Restaurante Tortillas in 'Cat' City, CA 2004/02/27 11:37:03 (permalink)
    Well let me spread a little rumor, and maybe someone can disprove or validate. My memory is a bit sketchy, but It seems here in Texas that yellow corn tortillas became very hard to find after it was found that much of the yellow corn grown was tainted by genetically altered corn that was not approved for human consumption. Anyone else remember something like this?

About the same time, Taco Bell switched from yellow corn crispy shells to white corn crispy taco shells.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Restaurante Tortillas in 'Cat' City, CA 2004/02/27 11:57:37 (permalink)
    It was because of the "Starlink" corn:

The FDA's recall notice read: "The products appear to contain Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies tolworthi Cry9C protein and the genetic material necessary for its production in corn (trade name: StarLink) — a pesticide which is not allowed for use in foods for human consumption."

You don't see as many as you used to, but I have no trouble finding them in my area.

Cosmos and Jellybean - you can go into any store here and there are stacks and heaps of them for the choosing. But try finding one of those Italian pepper sandwiches around here.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Restaurante Tortillas in 'Cat' City, CA 2004/02/27 13:01:26 (permalink)
    Hard to find yellow corn tortilla here in western CT, too! It drives me crazy becuase enchiladas IMO MUST be made with yellow corn. Accept NO substitutes. I typically can only find the small ones in the freezer section and I usually have to dig around for them.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6878
    RE: Restaurante Tortillas in 'Cat' City, CA 2004/02/27 15:18:54 (permalink)
    Here in Anchorage we have our own tortilla factory which makes great yellow and white corn tortillas You can order them online at
    www.alaskan.com/tacoloco/
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18483
    RE: Restaurante Tortillas in 'Cat' City, CA 2004/02/27 16:04:51 (permalink)
    I get both yellow and white ones, plus, I also get blue ones occasionally. All are the smaller tortillas, though.
    Cosmos
    RE: Restaurante Tortillas in 'Cat' City, CA 2004/02/27 17:08:41 (permalink)
    What also may be feeding this is uneducated consumers. I see 'soft'taco recipes that call for flour tortillas (by the way the cooler at my store is overflowing with flour tortillas of all makes and sizes). We eat 'soft' tacos all the time, I just take the corn tortillas out of the pan before they get crispy.

Last week I did respond when the cashier asked "did you find everything you were looking for?". I hope I'll see some yellow corn tortillas this weekend...hell I'll eat the genetically modified corn, I could use some modified genetics.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Restaurante Tortillas in 'Cat' City, CA 2004/03/20 23:46:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cosmos

Lets try and turn this into a more constructive post. I live in central New York, and have a bitch of a time finding just plain old yellow corn tortillas. If I can find corn tortillas at all (about an 85% chance), they are white corn, which I think taste different...more bland.

Is this a white bread consumer trend, or a conspiracy? Do consumers not want that exotic yellow corn, or do the grocery store think that white's what we want?

Also, I only find corn tortillas in taco size, which makes for dainty enchiladas. Anybody else outside of the southwest experience this?

And I checked out this post because I thought "Cat" City, CA was Los Gatos, CA . Dunno if there is a conspiracy on white vs yellow corn, but I wondered whether we would ever see blue tortillas, since lately blue tortilla chips have become quite the rage.

But I do think that the flour of yellow corn vs white corn is less processed, or something, since yellow corn toritillas have a coarser texture.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1