Restaurants in movies

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 858
2011/09/29 18:33:57 (permalink)

Restaurants in movies

Today's entry coincides with my going to Jackson, MS next week to do some work - I was intending to get to the Mayflower down the way, and I see from another website that it had been recently used as a location in the movie "The Help".  I started wondering how many other places I'd been to that had appeared in film, and got:
- Arcade Cafe, Memphis, TN - got taken there when I was visiting a branch office and later got a case of deja vu seeing it in Jim Jarmusch's "Mystery Train".
- Carine's, Fort Bragg, CA - On business again...I went there specifically because I'd seen it was used in "The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming". Great place, really nice folks, they told me how they'd opened up a bit of wall to film through.
- Wheel Inn, Cabazon, CA - stopped in late at night for some coffee among the cement dinosaurs, maybe ten years before "Pee-wee's Big Adventure".
- The Tides, Bodega Bay, CA - I think I was there some 25 years ago...the inside looked like that scene in "The Birds", but I later learned that was a movie set. Visited again much later and it had been remodeled and enlarged beyond recognition.
Anybody else have a place as seen in the movies? And say, what's the place used at the beginning/end of "Pulp Fiction"?

31 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7686
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/09/29 19:39:17 (permalink)
    Both Angelo's Civita Farnese and Haven Brothers in Providence were in the movie Federal Hill

Of course The Carnegie Katz Deli in Harry Met Sally

and Johnny's Cafe in Omaha  in About Schmidt

These are just off the top of my head- there are many others.
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/09/29 19:52:11
    GB944
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/09/29 19:49:16 (permalink)

Of course Katz Deli in Harry Met Sally...

TIFTY
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/09/29 19:50:58 (permalink)
    GB944

Of course Katz Deli in Harry Met Sally...

TIFTY

Thanks- that's what I meant

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4593
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/09/30 07:32:52 (permalink)
    - Katz.
    - Arcade.
    The very long-time-ago restaurant at Bradley Airport in Hartford/Springfield ... Peter Proud
    - Athenian ... Sleepless in Seattle.
    - The Brick, Roslyn, WA ... but that was from a TV show (Northern Exposure)

Fun topic too early to put on my thinking cap.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 641
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/09/30 10:42:53 (permalink)
    While it isn't seen in the movie, Blanch and Stella go to dinner at Galatoire's in A Streetcar Named Desire.
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 778
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/09/30 13:28:54 (permalink)
    Kansas City BBQ in San Diego, Top Gun.
    BelleReve
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1153
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/09/30 13:41:29 (permalink)
    eruby - it's good they just talk about the restaurant - other than the train station scene at the beginning of the movie, Streetcar Named Desire was filmed on a studio lot in Burbank.

Clover Grill - Curious Case of Benjamen Button 
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1587
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/09/30 14:03:52 (permalink)
    Two old time Taverns I have been in that were featured in movies starring Paul Newman:

The Iron Horse in Hudson NY was his "hang" in Nobody's Fool.

Vazacs Bar in the East Village in Manhattan was his "hang" in The Verdict. ( Crocodile Dundee had drinks there too)

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/09/30 14:25:51 (permalink)
    The Empire Diner in NYC and Clinton Diner in Queens have been in a lot of movies.

The Airline Diner in Queens, near LGA was in Goodfellas

Louis Restaurant in the Bronx was the one where Michael does his shooting in the Godfather. Not sure if it is still there though.

Oh...and WJ, the Carnegie was in Broadway Danny Rose
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1026
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/09/30 15:36:42 (permalink)
    Several years ago, Jane and I wrote this story for Gourmet about movies that had scenes in Chicago-area restaurants:

Eating on Screen in Chicago

Like its architecture and its music, Chicago's restaurants have filled movies with broad-shouldered personality. From the shockingly-priced cup of hot chocolate Tom Cruise drinks in the soigné Palm Court of the Drake Hotel in Risky Business ($4 in 1983) to the cheap eats Jim Belushi steals from Fluky's hot dog joint in Curly Sue, the city's culinary scope is delicious movie material.

Film makers who started with the Second City theater company have come back to Chicago for romance (Return to Me), goofball satire (Wayne's World), and the most cataclysmic musical comedy ever made: The Blues Brothers. "My brother and I have come here to dine!" declares John Belushi, playing Joliet Jake Blues when he and his brother Elwood (Dan Ayckroyd) arrive at Rush Street's Chez Paul. "We seek a full meal and all the complements of the house," Belushi tells the maitre d', a former Blues Brothers band member once known as Mr. Fabulous but now suited up as formal host. The brothers find themselves a table, whistle loudly for service, and proceed to guzzle champagne and throw shrimp into each others mouths. When an uptight diner sitting nearby asks that his party be moved, explaining to Mr. Fabulous that the Blues Brothers smell bad, Belushi leans towards him and says in his most lascivious tone, "I want to buy your women."

It's a toe-curling comic scene, throbbing with the discomfort of outrageous behavior in a genteel place; and it was especially fun for Chicagoans who knew Chez Paul as a destination for seamless continental meals. The movie's next restaurant scene is at the opposite end of the socioeconomic scale. The Blues Brothers go to Maxwell Street, home of Chicago blues and Polish sausage sandwiches, sit at the counter of Nate's Deli and place their order with waitress Aretha Franklin. "We got two honkies dressed like Hassidic diamond merchants," Aretha tells the cook, who is another ex-member of the band they're trying to recruit. Matt Guitar Murphy recognizes exactly who they are by what they order – toasted white bread, dry (for Elwood), and four fried chickens and a Coke (for Jake). Matt steps out into the dining room where he and the brothers compare notes about the pepper steak at Joliet Prison, the cabbage rolls at the Terre Haute federal pen, and the oatmeal at the Cook County jail. The scene closes with Aretha's rafter-rocking rendition of "(You Better) Think."

Chez Paul has become private office space and Nate's Deli, once renowned for kosher-style corned beef as well as chitterlings, is gone with the rest of Maxwell Street. But there are plenty of places that remain almost exactly as they were on screen. You can still go cruising for a date at Mother's on Division Street, where Rob Lowe and Demi Moore meet and court in About Last Night (the film version of David Mamet's "Sexual Perversity in Chicago"). The movie faithfully depicted the meat-market hustle of the Gold Coast watering hole, but its production back in the mid-1980s predated today's karaoke and thong contests.

A hostess at The Pump Room of the Ambassador East hotel assured us that Alfred Hitchcock wanted to film a scene of Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint having dinner just so Hitch, a longtime patron of movie stars' favorite Chicago restaurant, would have a good excuse to eat there all week. It's a good tale, but by the time the characters get to the hotel in North by Northwest, the plot is moving so fast that sitting down to eat seems impossible. The Pump Room is where John Candy tries desperately to have a successful meal in the Chris Columbus movie Only the Lonely. Candy plays a mama's boy (Maureen O'Hara is mom) who finally meets a girl he loves (Allie Sheedy) and tries to introduce them over dinner. "Where are her breasts?" calls out mama, way too loudly, when the girl walks into the dining room, warning her son that if she goes to the bathroom more than three times during dinner, she is anorexic. When the girlfriend orders a double vodka to brace herself against the maternal whirlwind, mama pipes up, "That's the first sign of alcoholism!" And after Candy tries to set a festive tone by ordering dinner of shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad, and prime rib, his mother announces she will have nothing. "Just bread. I'm trying to save you $50. I'll fill up on bread here then eat something when I get home."

One movie restaurant you will not find if you go looking for it in Chicago is Stan Mikita's donut shop, Garth and Wayne's hangout in Wayne's World. Although the big animated statue of hockey star "Stosh" Mikita on the roof recalls the anthropomorphic wieners atop the very real Superdawg, the restaurant where Garth uses a straw to suck cream filling from crullers is fictional. Another elusive location is Groundhog Day's Tip Top Café, where Bill Murray learns precisely to predict when the waiter will drop his tray, and boasts to Andie MacDowell that he can pig out on pastries and pancakes and smoke all the cigarettes he wants. Nothing he does has consequences. "I don't even have to floss," he says. Although set in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, the movie was filmed in Woodstock, a cozy village northwest of Chicago. The café is now vacant (its last incarnation a German-American restaurant called Rainault's), the building for sale. A local firefighter we met on the town square pointed out a small wall plaque that says simply, "The 'Tip Top Café' 'Groundhog Day' Movie 1992." He told us he would like to buy the building and reopen the Tip Top Café as an ice cream parlor.

Paul Tuzi, proprietor of Twin Anchors in Chicago's Old Town, explained that his neighborhood bar, known citywide for ribs, became "O'Reilly's Italian Restaurant" in Return to Me because writer/director/co-star Bonnie Hunt used to eat there all the time when she was part of Second City. With some bemusement, Tuzi tells how the film crew totally reconfigured the tavern for the melodrama in which David Duchovny falls in love with Minnie Driver, who happens to have been the recipient of Duchovny's late wife's heart. "They moved booths, they rearranged the kitchen and dining room, and they brought in prop food," Tuzi laughs, noting that the featured dish in the movie was chicken Vesuvio, a Chicagoland specialty that isn't even on the Twin Anchors menu. "They did leave one thing just as it was," he says, pointing to a sign above the dining room that says, "Positively No Dancing."

As a breather from our exploration of Chicago restaurant movie locations, we detoured to our favorite cafeteria/delicatessen, Manny's (formerly of Maxwell Street), whose magnificent corned beef sandwiches we extolled in a Gourmet column ten years ago. There on the wall we spotted a little collage of pictures from 1986, when a scene from the Matt Dillon movie, The Big Town, was filmed here. "It was supposed to take place in the 1950s," proprietor Ken Raskin told us. "So they changed the posted prices. Lunch was a dollar, breakfast forty-five cents." Raskin recalled that the characters in the movie ate meat loaf, but when it was time for a real meal break, the crew was required to take lunch from the studio-hired catering trucks. "Matt Dillon, though, he was the star," Raskin reported with movie-goer awe. "He ate a Manny's corned beef sandwich."

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/09/30 16:00:07 (permalink)
    Tony Bad

Yes, I knew it was in Woody Allen movie, I forgot which one- hence the name of the famous sandwich which is my favorite at the Carnegie "The Woody Allen"!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7770
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/09/30 16:38:58 (permalink)
    Pann's in Los Angeles = Pulp Fiction  (Unless it's fiction)

Jackie Chan movies:

Rush Hour filmed in Foo-Chow Restaurant in the Los Angeles China Town

Rush Hour 2 was filmed in Canton Kitchen, Venice Bl in Los Angeles

Mad Men was filmed in Andy's Restaurant in Pasadena
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6326
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/09/30 19:39:42 (permalink)
    Mickey's Diner in St. Paul was featured prominently in Prairie Home Companion, a Robert Altman film.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1587
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/09/30 19:39:57 (permalink)
    <<The Airline Diner in Queens, near LGA was in Goodfellas
    Not a movie, but it was also featured on the cover of the Stray Cats 2nd US LP, Gonna Ball:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gonna_Ball_cover.jpg

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4002
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/10/02 12:49:14 (permalink)
    The restaurant scene in The Natural where Robert Redford did the silver dollars trick with Kim Basinger was shot on board the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA.

The scene in Point of No Return where Briget Fonda was given the gun and an "assignment" was shot in Mel Krupin's (the old Paul Young's) at 1120 Connecticut, NW in WDC. 
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/10/02 13:05:32 (permalink)
    The Oak Room in the Plaza Hotel in NYC is where Arthur had dinner with the hooker Gloria.
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 858
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/10/02 18:07:39 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

The Oak Room in the Plaza Hotel in NYC is where Arthur had dinner with the hooker Gloria.

And of course the Oak Bar is where Roger Thornhill was picked up by the bad guys in 'North by Northwest". I will have to have a Martini there sometime in tribute of an old friend as well as Roger.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 641
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/10/03 15:16:04 (permalink)
    Rocky's boss was eating at Pat's Steaks when he gave him money to train for the fight.

Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/10/03 16:03:20 (permalink)
    The Whistle Stop Cafe of Fried Green Tomatoes was based on the Irondale Cafe of Irondale AL, and the movie version was filmed in an abandoned hardware store in Juliette GA that was later retrofitted into a Whistle Stop Cafe to capitalize on the name.
    iceomat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 97
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/10/04 13:18:28 (permalink)
    mar52

Pann's in Los Angeles = Pulp Fiction  (Unless it's fiction)

It was actually the Hawthorne Grill which sadly has been torn down.

The only place I can think of that I've actually been to is The Texas Chili Parlor in Austin where Tarantino filmed some of Death Proof. Very good chili BTW.
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1354
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/10/04 16:20:49 (permalink)
    I believe Brent's Drug Store in the Fondren area of Jackson was also used in The Help. Great working soda fountain with fresh lemon, lime and orange ade.
    Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 369
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/10/15 20:55:13 (permalink)
    Only one I can remember is Tommy's Joynt in San Francisco. It was in the Dead Pool.
    josefinajoisey
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/12/06 17:20:12 (permalink)
    The Colonial Diner, Lyndhurst NJ (Beer League....not a classic, but it was a movie)
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4002
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/12/06 18:28:51 (permalink)
    The swim-up bar and Britannia Villas of the Grand Hyatt Resort, Grand Cayman were featured prominently in the movie The Firm.  The locals loved Gene Hackman.  If you're a fan of his, don't ask about Tom Cruise.
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2011/12/06 18:31:41
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5046
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/12/06 19:44:48 (permalink)
    Tony Bad

The Empire Diner in NYC and Clinton Diner in Queens have been in a lot of movies.

The Airline Diner in Queens, near LGA was in Goodfellas

Louis Restaurant in the Bronx was the one where Michael does his shooting in the Godfather. Not sure if it is still there though.

I've been to all the above except Louie's in the Bronx. I would love to eat there!!!
    I had to laugh when I saw the Airline Diner in Goodfellas. I must have eaten there a million times during the mid fifties-mid sixties. Btw, a movie goof: When they were planning the 1963 Idlewild caper, they were leaning on a 1965 Chevy.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/12/06 19:56:56 (permalink)
    Great thread, Vince. Thank you.

I've also been to The Tides in Bodega Bay (The Birds). I noticed everyone in Bodega Bay likes to remind you that the movie was (partly) filmed there.
    Also, we used to see the "schoolhouse" every time we went to Bodega Bay.
    It's actually in Bodega on the road leading to Bodega Bay.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/12/07 09:56:02 (permalink)
    Pink's Hot Dogs was in The Golden Child, with Eddie Murphy.  It also was in Mullholland Drive.
    post edited by MiamiDon - 2011/12/07 09:57:48
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/12/07 10:00:44 (permalink)
    And of course there was the 21 Club in Wall Street. 
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Restaurants in movies 2011/12/07 11:33:11 (permalink)
    Oh, I forgot. I've had many a (great) meal at the "Hitching Post" in Buelleton, California. Famous not only for it's fabulous food, but also because it was featured so prominently in the film, "Sideways".
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1