Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1948
2005/09/25 05:31:50 (permalink)

Restrooms

Hello All,
1. Why do so many establishments have air-blow hand-dryers than paper towels? My hands never get dry with those machines.
2. How often are restrooms cleaned?
3. What is the best product that overcomes the smell of urine?
4. What is the worst or funniest horror story that you can recall involving a patron and the restroom?
Lastly, I salute and bow to all those people that have to clean the restroom. Customers may always be right, but they do not act and treat the restroom the same way they would their home bathroom.
Take care,
Fieldthistle

64 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Restrooms 2005/09/25 10:14:27 (permalink)
    When I used to bartend, the womans bathroom always looked like WW3 would have occured in there by the end of the night. Never ceased to amaze me..
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Restrooms 2005/09/25 10:23:55 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    1. Why do so many establishments have air-blow hand-dryers than paper towels? My hands never get dry with those machines.

No paper waste. Hit the button again if your hands didn't get dry the 1st time.

2. How often are restrooms cleaned?

They better be inspected at least evey 30 minutes. I've seen same wasted in a matter of minutes. When I was in the business, our RR's were inspected every 15 mins.

3. What is the best product that overcomes the smell of urine?

Lots of hot water in a bucket and a mop. Hopefully the bathroom has a floor drain.

4. What is the worst or funniest horror story that you can recall involving a patron and the restroom?

Children puking everywhere. Sink, toilet, floor. Restroom closed for an hour after THAT...

Lastly, I salute and bow to all those people that have to clean the restroom. Customers may always be right, but they do not act and treat the restroom the same way they would their home bathroom.

Customers are usually never right; they just THINK they are.
    Diner-Lover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: Restrooms 2005/09/25 12:20:41 (permalink)
    As a nurse, I have to give my 2 cents regarding those air blow-dryers. One of the first things we're taught in nursing school is that after washing your hands, you then turn off the faucets with the paper towel that you used to dry your hands. Not to state the obvious, but you have just used the toilet, and you are turning on the faucet with your hands, as has everyone before you. You wash the ick off your hands, and then turn the faucets off and get ick back on them, then blow them dry. Seems pretty unsanitary to me. The paper towel protects those clean hands. (We probably should all be opening the bathroom doors with a paper towel-in-hand, too, to protect against those who don't wash. Although this post sounds like I'm germ-phobic, I'm really not, but when I start thinking about it, I could imagine getting a little obsessive-compulsive. )

I also wonder about employees who use the bathrooms and may not wash hands because they don't want to take the time to blow their hands dry. And then again, there's that ick on the faucet for employees who DO wash afterwards... I understand paper towels can cause a mess and wastes trees and all, but people need to re-think the blowers, IMHO.
    jzwagar
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Restrooms 2005/09/25 14:03:35 (permalink)
    I loved this: went to dinner at a country restaurant called the Smoke House (I think) near Beaufort, South Carolina. The restrooms were marked "With View" and "Without View"! Befuddled, and thinking there was a message there that I was missing, I asked the waitress what the difference was. She looked at me like I was the village idiot and replied, "With View has the window"! The fact of the matter was, they had two bathrooms, both unisex, one had a window looking over the parking lot and the other had no window!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Restrooms 2005/09/25 15:25:52 (permalink)
    I really hate the blower hand driers.

I concur with diner-lover.

I'll bet if you looked at the instructions, it would say to hold hands under air-thingy until you get frustrated, wipe hands on jeans, leave restroom.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Restrooms 2005/09/25 19:28:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Diner-Lover

As a nurse, I have to give my 2 cents regarding those air blow-dryers. One of the first things we're taught in nursing school is that after washing your hands, you then turn off the faucets with the paper towel that you used to dry your hands. Not to state the obvious, but you have just used the toilet, and you are turning on the faucet with your hands, as has everyone before you. You wash the ick off your hands, and then turn the faucets off and get ick back on them, then blow them dry. Seems pretty unsanitary to me. The paper towel protects those clean hands. (We probably should all be opening the bathroom doors with a paper towel-in-hand, too, to protect against those who don't wash. Although this post sounds like I'm germ-phobic, I'm really not, but when I start thinking about it, I could imagine getting a little obsessive-compulsive. )

I also wonder about employees who use the bathrooms and may not wash hands because they don't want to take the time to blow their hands dry. And then again, there's that ick on the faucet for employees who DO wash afterwards... I understand paper towels can cause a mess and wastes trees and all, but people need to re-think the blowers, IMHO.

I really DETEST those hot-air blowers. Since the backs of my hands are very hairy, it takes a very long time for these contraptions to dry my hands. I usually have to go through three drying cycles before my hands are actually dry. But, I prefer paper towels mostly for the exact reasons stated in the above post that I copied. Doctors now recommend that you do exactly what the nurse stated in her post. (Use paper towel to turn off faucet, and also, use a paper towel to open the door when you are leaving.)

[Besides the obvious problem (as stated) of the contamination on the faucet handle, then there is the problem of the door handle that is touched by the people who don't even bother to wash their hands after defecating--and I have observed plenty of them!]

When I am in a fast-food restaurant, I grab a handful of napkins on my way into the Men's Room. I use these to dry my hands, to close the faucet, and to open the door. Don't like that, Mr. Businessman? Then provide paper towels, at least as an option, for your customers!

Incidentally, the establishments that do provide paper towels frequently do not have the waste basket next to the door. As a result, I have no choice but to drop my paper towel on the floor after using it to open the door when I am leaving. However, I have observed that I have been able to "train" the staff at many establishments that I frequent. After a few months, they finally figure out what the nurses, the M.D.s, and I are doing, and they move the waste basket next to the door!

In case you think that I am being overly conscious of sanitary practices, I suffered a very serious bout of pneumonia last year. In the aftermath, my Pulmonologist advised me that the methods described above are the best way to avoid respiratory illnesses, as well as those of the gastrointestinal tract. Not wishing to be seriously ill again, I follow his advice.
    beachbons
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Restrooms 2005/09/26 00:00:37 (permalink)
    Is there a reason why the restroom doors usually "push" into the restroom?? It makes no sense to have to "pull" on the dirty door handle on your way out with clean hands.
    Tedbear
    RE: Restrooms 2005/09/27 08:16:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by beachbons

Is there a reason why the restroom doors usually "push" into the restroom?? It makes no sense to have to "pull" on the dirty door handle on your way out with clean hands.

That is an excellent point! Once in a while, I will encounter a restroom door that pushes outward, but it does seem to be the exception to the rule. Since the Fire Codes require that exit doors in commercial establishments have to open outward, it would seem that the doors in restrooms of commercial establishments should have similar requirements.

(The requirement for outward-opening exit doors in commercial establishments originated in the aftermath of the "Triangle Shirtwaist Fire" in NYC many years ago. Since the exit doors opened inward, the panicked crush of women trying to exit from this sweatshop actually prevented the doors from being opened. That, in addition to many other conditions, led to the deaths of scores of women. After that, governmental authorities started to pay attention to things like exit doors for the first time.)
    pacman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Restrooms 2005/09/27 09:35:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by beachbons

I think the reason for this is; most establishments seem to have the restrooms in a hallway, I suppose this avoids people in the hallway getting 'bonked' in the face by a heavy door by those coming out of the toilet.
    octopus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: Restrooms 2005/09/28 14:25:05 (permalink)
    I hate air dryers, nothing to open the door of the restroom with as you are leaving after you wash your hands. I can not touch a door handle of a restroom with my bare hands, that is like the most germ filed spot in a bathroom. Don't be cheap buy some paper towels.
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Restrooms 2005/09/28 17:44:10 (permalink)
    I've started keeping sanitizing Clorox wipes in mine and have had some really good comments. We also use paper towels as well.
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: Restrooms 2005/09/28 18:13:51 (permalink)
    On the subject of direction of doors: How about having the stall doors open outward?
    I'd really rather not get cozy with the toilet in order to maneuver the door.
    For this reason, I opt for the larger, outward-opening "handicapped" stall whenever possible.
    Tedbear
    RE: Restrooms 2005/09/28 18:35:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Salustra

On the subject of direction of doors: How about having the stall doors open outward?
    I'd really rather not get cozy with the toilet in order to maneuver the door.
    For this reason, I opt for the larger, outward-opening "handicapped" stall whenever possible.

That is an excellent point! The maneuvers necessary in order to get the stall door to close usually mean getting "up close and personal" with the front or sides of the toilet. Even if the seat is clean, the sides of the porcelain appliance are frequently not cleaned that often, leading to clothing coming into contact with some nasty stuff. But, then again, I'm sure that a lot of guys don't care, based on my observations. Next time that you are in a men's room, notice how many men who are in a toilet stall allow their pants to sit in a pile on the floor, rather than holding the pants legs up a bit as they sit on the throne. After observing the typical amount of spilled/slashed urine on the floor in front of toilets, I am just amazed at how many men choose to let their pants sit in this puddle of nasty stuff.

After observing many men exit from the stall and NOT wash their hands, coupled with the "dunk the pants in the urine" habit, I have come to the conclusion that too many men are either not very sanitary about their personal habits or are simply oblivious to what should be very obvious.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Restrooms 2005/09/30 09:16:39 (permalink)
    Entrtaining thread. I know that door opening directions are generally in the building code which doesn't a thing to do w/ saniitation. I will generally wait for another user to open the door (counting on a busy place) instead of opening it myself.

I usually wash my hands BEFORE and after going to the facilities (hot sauce or hot wings on your hands can open a whole new arena of pain). The door was just opened by the clown who doesn't wash at all.

Barring a busy place a piece of toilet paper or paper towel works to open the door. Just remember...the bugs out there are after YOU!!!
    Burgerman1
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Restrooms 2005/10/08 19:40:36 (permalink)
    You know it's not rocket science.

The fact is, you can wash your hands, use waterless hand sanatizer, towels or hand dryer, or soak in a bathtub full of pinesol & clorox....you will NOT get rid of all the germs. And even if you did by the time you return to your table, you picked up some from the air that you just passed through when Little Johnny decided to sneeze.

Oh and BTW, that cup you just drank from was sanitized yesterday, it has set in a rack and been exposed to air, germs and whatever else that might float around. Did you wash that cup at home, what type of sanitizer did you use? How hot did the water get?

And this one really gets me....going back to work after lunch...how about that door handle to the office, your steering wheel, or how about that take-out cup you asked for? And when you get back to work, take a big whiff of your desk, your boss and co-workers might have set there and left some germs for you to inhale.

The fact is and the missed point about germs and sanitation, it's not the method (somewhat), but the length and frequency that you wash your hands. Germs multiply and then multiply again, over and over.

You should sing "Happy Birthday" twice to obtain the proper length of time washing your hands, and your hands should be washed at least once per hour using warm water, soap (not necessarily disinfectant) and clean paper towels. The more often you wash your hands, the less germs you will have. And don't worry about touching the door handle or anything else...get a life!
    Gizmolito
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: Restrooms 2005/10/08 21:15:36 (permalink)
    People who use paper towels to exit a restroom and then drop it on the floor are, in my opinion, not very considerate of those who come after them. It is as bad as spitting on the sidewalk.
    In a word, they are pigs.
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Restrooms 2005/10/09 21:51:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gizmolito

People who use paper towels to exit a restroom and then drop it on the floor are, in my opinion, not very considerate of those who come after them. It is as bad as spitting on the sidewalk.

Sing it.
    Tedbear
    RE: Restrooms 2005/10/13 11:21:49 (permalink)
    quote:

I realize that this is not a nice thing to do, but I really don't wish to touch the door handle that the "guy who just defecated and failed to wash his hands" has just touched. Unless you live in a region where the men are much more hygienic than in my part of the world, the reality is that many people do not wash their hands after defecating. These people are the pigs, and all I am doing is being a bit defensive of my own health, in reaction to those pigs.

If everyone was to follow proper hygienic practices after using the toilet, then doctors would not advise people to do exactly what I am doing by opening the door with a towel. I have been known to go through some elaborate maneuvers while holding the door open with my foot, in order to toss the used towel in a waste receptacle that is a few feet from the exit door. However, in many cases, the waste receptacle is very far from the exit door of the restroom, and my aim would not be good enough to sink it from perhaps 10 feet away.

All an establishment has to do is to place the waste receptacle next to the exit door, as I have seen more and more of them doing lately. If I owned a restaurant, and found paper towels on the floor near the exit from the restroom, I think that I would be able to "do the math" and figure out that I need to move the waste receptacle next to the door.

So, although you may characterize me as a pig, I will continue my practice--as a result of actions of the real pigs of the world. If you wish to touch that door handle, that is your prerogative. And if I choose to avoid touching it, that is my prerogative--despite your characterization. That's one of the nice things about living in a democracy, I guess.
    V960
    RE: Restrooms 2005/10/13 14:41:49 (permalink)
    According to whomever posted a few places ahead of me...I'm a PIG...beautiful blue eyes...great conformation...cute tight butt...yes, I'm a pig.

I'm not a slob...I wash my hands before and after attending to business. No trash can for the paper towels at the door...yes, there will be one on the floor...at least ONE anyway.
    Gizmolito
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Restrooms 2005/10/14 17:15:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

According to whomever posted a few places ahead of me...I'm a PIG...beautiful blue eyes...great conformation...cute tight butt...yes, I'm a pig.

I'm not a slob...I wash my hands before and after attending to business. No trash can for the paper towels at the door...yes, there will be one on the floor...at least ONE anyway.

Someone has to clean up your mess, usually not a management decision maker. That person doesn't see how you look- that person sees the leavings of a slob. Messes need to be cleaned up almost daily from people who "hover" over the stool. Fine, I guess that'll teach them a lesson for not providing seat covers. Fast food trash wrappers on the roadside 2 miles from every Taco Bell? Well, that's what the Highway Department gets for not putting trash barrels where everyone finishes eating their burrito. I keep my car tidy; after all I'm not a slob.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13546
    RE: Restrooms 2005/10/14 17:27:11 (permalink)
    I do not think this is a secret but as a roadwarrior, I will tell you what I do. I exclusively use the marriott facilities when I travel which recently has increased about 1000%. The Marriott hotels have the best rest rooms. I stay at them and I do not hesitate at stopping at one and using whatever I need which includes the business center as well as the rest room. I talked to a Marriott manager and I told him what I do. I told him that since I stay at their hotels, do they get pissed if I stop and use their business center and rest rooms. He said absolutely not. All I had to do was show them my previous nights key.

Another thing that is pretty good is the Marriott Courtyard Buffet. It is not super but it is always consistent. Waffles, Eggs cook to order, breakfast potatoes, sausage and bacon, breads, cereals, fruits, oats or grits and lots more for about $9.00

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Tedbear
    RE: Restrooms 2005/10/14 19:04:02 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by V960

Someone has to clean up your mess, usually not a management decision maker. That person doesn't see how you look- that person sees the leavings of a slob. Messes need to be cleaned up almost daily from people who "hover" over the stool. Fine, I guess that'll teach them a lesson for not providing seat covers. Fast food trash wrappers on the roadside 2 miles from every Taco Bell? Well, that's what the Highway Department gets for not putting trash barrels where everyone finishes eating their burrito. I keep my car tidy; after all I'm not a slob.

I'm tidy also. I do not litter the highway. I clean up after myself in a self-service restaurant. I do not make a mess in a toilet stall. And, I also will modify my practices if someone can give me a valid reason to do so.

However, I wish to avoid the diseases that other people spread through their unclean habits. If you have not been able to comprehend this point, I cannot do any more to help you to understand why so many people do exactly what I do. If you wish to consider this sloppy, so be it. I, and thousands of others, will continue to do what we have been doing--using paper towels to open the exit door from the lavatory.

Sooner or later, most restauranteurs will figure out what to do--namely move the waste receptacle next to the door. And, perhaps, sooner or later, you will comprehend what we are talking about. Until then, I wish you the best of health.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Restrooms 2005/10/14 20:02:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I do not think this is a secret but as a roadwarrior, I will tell you what I do. I exclusively use the marriott facilities when I travel which recently has increased about 1000%. The Marriott hotels have the best rest rooms. I stay at them and I do not hesitate at stopping at one and using whatever I need which includes the business center as well as the rest room. I talked to a Marriott manager and I told him what I do. I told him that since I stay at their hotels, do they get pissed if I stop and use their business center and rest rooms. He said absolutely not. All I had to do was show them my previous nights key.

Another thing that is pretty good is the Marriott Courtyard Buffet. It is not super but it is always consistent. Waffles, Eggs cook to order, breakfast potatoes, sausage and bacon, breads, cereals, fruits, oats or grits and lots more for about $9.00

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

The Marriott, huh??? Thought my recent stay there in downtown Atlanta was rather sub-par. Continental (cold) B'Fast ONLY. You could cook your own (hot) waffle, but that's about it. No other hot food as you mentioned. Nasty as he_l coffee (said was gourmet blend ) AND to top that off, as a REGISTERED GUEST I was STILL CHARGED a $10.00 per night parking fee (on THEIR property). Lucky for me that same was charged to my state expense acct. I would have never stayed at same if I was responsible for bill. Lesson learned.
    V960
    RE: Restrooms 2005/10/15 08:56:22 (permalink)
    I generally prefer Hilton properties to Marriott but only by a slight margin. I do however prefer the big Marriott in NYC to anything Hilton has in the city.

Slob...Pig...Yes I guess that is me since I refuse to share germs w/ the great unwashed. I see "gentlemen" leave the stalls w/o washing their hands and yet I am expected to put my washed hands on a door handle right behind this person w/o any protection because a minuimum wage person will have to pick up a towel at the door?

I address everyone as sir or mamm. Southern shall we say...but I don't share germs w/ clowns just because there is not a waste basket at the exit to the men's room. Floor works for me.
    Burgerman1
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Restrooms 2005/10/15 16:06:36 (permalink)
    There is no excuse for throwing that towel in the floor.

If you can't figure how to dispose of it without throwing it in the floor, then there are one of two things wrong with you, (1) you are ill-mannered and shouldn't be let out in public, or (2) your intelligence level is slightly lower than a chimpanzee.

If I saw you doing this in a restaurant, I would embarass the hell out of you in front of everyone. There is no excuse for ill-manners.

ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Restrooms 2005/10/15 17:16:58 (permalink)
    About those air dry things. Try this. Wash your hands and then just rub them together until they're dry, not using the air dry blower. Time it. Then use the machine and time it. Not much difference. Some business, huh? Sell 'em air!
    V960
    RE: Restrooms 2005/10/15 17:49:18 (permalink)
    Sorry Mr. Burgerman but you're going to embarass because I have good health rules...wrong burger boy. Grow up son, life is a wonderful place. Love it and understand that germs will knock you down where 250# men will fail. Figure it out...paper towels at the exit means you need a trash can THERE.

Embarass me about a paper towel? So many more things I have done wrong in this world,and I'm supposed to worry about a paper towel?

-Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Restrooms 2005/10/15 17:56:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

Years ago, a nurse taught me to always get a handful of towels when in a public restroom.............use one to turn faucet on...wash hands.......dry them and use a towel to put on door handle when leaving rest room area. I always take my towels with me and leave them at the table where I have eaten. (if there is not a wastebasket within close range of restroom door.

Did everyone else miss this? This is far superior to littering, isn't it? Or, if you didn't want to sit with your dirty towels, there is always the option of swinging by the host station on your way to the table. The hostess usually has a trash can. The lobby usually has a trash can -- and there are lots of people running around. You know? Servers? Bussers? Most of them are willing to take paper waste (as long as you haven't puked in it) from you. I realize that those "minimum wage employees" are beneath you, though...

I stand by my prior estimation. If you wouldn't throw a towel on the floor in your own home, don't do it in public. I trust that all of us are resourceful enough to figure out some alternative solution. I really can't believe that grown people with normally decent manners have no qualms about using the floor as a trash receptacle.

Oh, and you always have the option of suggesting to the management of the restaurant that they place a trash can just outside of the bathroom. That could help to make your next dining experience a little more pleasant.
    Gizmolito
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Restrooms 2005/10/15 18:28:11 (permalink)
    Tedbear said:
    "And, perhaps, sooner or later, you will comprehend what we are talking about. Until then, I wish you the best of health."

Well, now that you mention it, I do have this bad cough!

O,k., maybe now it's time to adapt a modified version of Bedouin hygiene. You reserve one hand for eating and use the other hand for every other function. You then can push that elevator button, open that door, etc. with you right hand, and rub your eyes or eat those fries with your relatively germ-free left hand.

Fully loaded triple burgers would be problematic with this concept however.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1