Retro 7 UP!

Author
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
2011/05/28 22:06:26 (permalink)

Retro 7 UP!

FINALLY - a 'retro' soda that lives up to the hype!  Saw this at a Wally World in Scranton, PA, and I was intrigued to say the least. The blurb on the 12 pack box promises that they 'rebalanced' the lemon-lime flavor to its original levels. Since the 12 pack was only $4.00 (" />), I 'splurged' on it, took it home, and threw one in the fridge to properly chill.

All I can say is YUMMMMMMMMMM - G-D they got it right!   The sugar sweetness was just right, and damn they got that classic 7 UP taste PERFECT!! Crisp...clean...and yes, REFRESHING! Easily the best of the 'retro' bunch that has been coming out the last couple of years!

They BETTER bring this out around here! All I can say is that the UNCOLA is back! 

Just ignore the stupid Zubaz packaging.....
post edited by ConeyIslandLou - 2011/05/28 22:07:55

7 Replies Related Threads

Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Retro 7 UP! 2011/05/28 22:23:11 (permalink)
    As taste's change and our culture evolves around it.....it;s not surprising to kick back with a "retro" and really like it's taste.  Unfortunately, corporate America is constantly tweaking the flavors to extract the most purchasing dollars it can get from the consumer.......I guess in the big picture - it's not a bad thing, That's what makes America "roll".....its just a shame I think, that corporate America does not continue a "tried and true" flavor, while supplementing their market with more advanced options.
    Ehhhh....I lived through the "12 flavors of coke" days just fine. As long as nobody thinks they need to change the flavor of Dr. Pepper, we'll be just fine as a country!!
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    Re:Retro 7 UP! 2011/05/29 06:20:27 (permalink)
    Growing up, 7 UP was always my favorite.  Can't wait to try it!  Even if it means going to THERE to pick it up...though of course I'll look other places first.

Thanks.
    Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    Re:Retro 7 UP! 2011/05/29 11:45:29 (permalink)
    If you look around hard enough there is at least one company making a glass bottle, cane sugar, original recipe 7-Up out there. The Dr. Pepper Bottling Co. in West Jefferson, NC is still making it the old fashioned way. You can likely get them via the internet somewhere. I picked up a couple the last time I was by Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati. 
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 804
    Re:Retro 7 UP! 2011/06/07 14:52:45 (permalink)
    Root-Beer Man

If you look around hard enough there is at least one company making a glass bottle, cane sugar, original recipe 7-Up out there. The Dr. Pepper Bottling Co. in West Jefferson, NC is still making it the old fashioned way. You can likely get them via the internet somewhere. I picked up a couple the last time I was by Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati. 

Glass bottles are the best for a great soda.
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1067
    Re:Retro 7 UP! 2011/06/09 13:48:33 (permalink)
    Bought some Retro 7 Up at Cub Foods in south Minneapolis yesterday morning. They had both the cans (which I think are hideous) in 12-pack cardboard boxes, and glass bottles in six-pack cartons. Of course I bought the bottles. They are the old fashioned design -- green bottles, with the old logo -- and the carton looks like it did in the olden days. 

But let's get to the heart of the matter:  the taste.  I agree with the OP -- this is great, great stuff.  Tastes like it used to.  Sparkling, clean taste, with no hint of HFCS "syrupy" quality.  Not cheap -- it was $5 for each carton (I bought two) -- but well worth it. 

Thanks for the tip!  I'd been out of the country and hadn't seen the advertisements for this.  I seldom go to Cub Foods (or to Walmart or Target, which are also selling it here in Minnesota), so I could easily have missed it.  We'll be using it for Pimm's Cup this weekend!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8477
    Re:Retro 7 UP! 2011/06/09 15:51:43 (permalink)
    Its funny, as there is a difference in the Mexican version of soda and retro. The retro Mountain Dew, imo, is not that good.Retro Coke is better than the one on the market, but Mexican version is better. The makers and bottling companies in Mexico NEVER( and I know what I speak of) wavered from the basic original recipes from the 60's. Sugar cane is a good industry down there, and they use it. Here in the U.S., we are trying to always fix things that aint broke.
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1067
    Re:Retro 7 UP! 2011/06/09 15:58:06 (permalink)
    Absolutely true, Ann!  One of my grad students left a bottle of Mexican Coke in my faculty mailbox for me earlier today.  What a treat!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1