The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX

MGWerks

• Total Posts: 231
Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Sun, 10/5/08 8:50 PM (permalink)
Coopers “Old Time” Pit Bar-B-Que - 10/4/08 – Llano, Texas

It was our eldest daughter’s birthday, so what better excuse for a road trip for BBQ? We took her, her husband and the grandkids to Cooper’s BBQ in Llano, TX. Arriving at 1:30 (to miss the rush), we found the line still wrapped all the way around the front of the building. A very good sign!

Many long brick pits are arrayed outside the front door, tended by a full crew of smoke folk.

Once you make it up the line, you place your order at the pit, telling the pitmaster what you want for your crew.

The selection was large, consisting of spare ribs, sausage, jalapeno sausage, pork loin, half-chickens, prime rib(!) and brisket. The pitmaster cuts your selections to order and loads them on a tray, and will optionally dunk them in a large bucket of sauce if you like. The sauce is a thin table sauce typical of Texas BBQ, although slightly too vinegary for my taste.

You then take your tray inside, where the cutting staff makes sure your meat is portioned out, weighed, and wrapped in butcher paper. They print a label for each cut, and slap it on the package for the cashier to see. That is also where you can pick up sides like cole slaw and potato salad, and pay for and receive cups for your drinks at the register.

To be honest, I found the Q relatively a bit high-priced, given the location and clientele. That opinion was mitigated in some cases after I got to taste the meat, but still, $8/lb. for sausage, $10/lb. for brisket, pork ribs or pork chops is a bit high. Maybe not for catering or vending, but IMHO it is at a BBQ restaurant in Texas. It ended up at $57 for just over 7 lbs. of meat for four adults and two small kids.

Here is yours truly explaining to our crew the finer points of eating off of butcher paper. Yes, there are no plates in the place! It is knives, forks and fingers. There are paper towels, jars of jalapenos, napkins and large sheets of butcher paper arrayed on all the tables. You can see them in the picture. Also available at no charge for self serve in the dining room were some very good pinto beans, pickles and onions, a large steamer of table sauce, soft drinks, sweetened and unsweetened iced tea, ice water and coffee.

Here is a shot of what was left that we were forced to take home. That thing in the upper middle of the picture is about 2/3 of a huge pork chop! There is even a ‘foiling station’ off to the side for wrapping up your leftovers for the trip home.

That’s a close up of a piece of the pork chop, measuring at about 2 ¼” thick.

We didn’t sample all the offerings at Cooper’s but we came close. The Prime Rib and cole slaw will have to wait for another trip. I will say that the Prime Rib looked excellent, was still very rare, and the cole slaw looked to be popular among the other diners. The potato salad is a slightly spicy German-style, made with red potatoes. All of the meats we ordered had a nice smoke ring and were seasoned just the right amount. Here’s the dish on the meats we sampled:

Brisket
I was disappointed by the brisket. Perhaps my expectations were high because of reputation, but I found it to be a little dry, a little tough and relatively lacking in flavor. Application of the table sauce did not serve to change anyone’s impression of it.

Pork Spare Ribs
I just don’t know what to say. I have been doing ribs for a long time, and I’ve eaten excellent ribs from other good cookers and at many of the best places in Texas. I have never had spare ribs as good as these – anywhere. I’ve come close at home, but not this good and I made a point of telling the pit crew so on the way out. These guys have reset the bar and given me a new goal to shoot at in cooking spares.

Sausage(s)
Both the regular and jalapeno sausages were good, above average, but not as good as at Luling’s City Market or Elgin’s Southside Market Hot Guts or Meyer’s Elgin Sausage. Still, it’s a nice accompaniment to the rest of the fare. The jalapeno sausage was spicy, but not overly hot.

Pork Chop
Billed as the “Big Chop”, this beauty fills the bill in all ways. All the praise I heaped upon the ribs goes equally as well for the chops. Center cut with very little fat, it was cooked and seasoned perfectly throughout. I’ve paid a lot more for quality steaks I’ve liked a lot less.

Half Chicken
The chicken was of average size and was done perfectly. It was extremely juicy in both light and dark meat, and the amount of smoke perfectly complemented the chicken. Very highly recommended.

In summary, if you get nothing else at Cooper’s, make it spare ribs and/or the Big Chop. Skip the brisket, Bill Miller’s BBQ chain brisket is better, at least a little. The beans are excellent without being over or under spiced, and are done just perfectly. If you’ve never been there, eating at Cooper’s BBQ in Llano is worth the drive from just about anywhere, and makes an excellent destination for a day trip. I know I’ll be back, and it’s only 100 miles away for me!

Mark

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
    RE: Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Sun, 10/5/08 10:02 PM (permalink)
    Looks delicious! I haven't been over to Llano in awhile. Thanks!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
      RE: Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Sun, 10/5/08 10:17 PM (permalink)
      I've been to Cooper's. And, if you've read any of my previous posts, you'll know I am mad about the BBQ in central Texas. But, I was very disappointed with the BBQ at Coopers. For one thing, I am not crazy about mesquite smoked BBQ. And, I found every meat to be too dry and over smoked. Sorry, but that's my opinion of Cooper's.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
        RE: Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Mon, 10/6/08 1:46 AM (permalink)
        I visited Cooper's in Llano about a month ago. Liked it but liked the Cooper's in Mason better.

BQ Matt

• Total Posts: 31
          RE: Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Mon, 10/6/08 4:58 AM (permalink)
          QUOTE: "To be honest, I found the Q relatively a bit high-priced, given the location and clientele. That opinion was mitigated in some cases after I got to taste the meat, but still, $8/lb. for sausage, $10/lb. for brisket"

You're kidding right? Anyone charging $10 a pound for sliced is running some mighty thin margins on their brisket. Of course, you did say you didn't care for it, so in that case $10/pound is overcharging.

Texianjoe

• Total Posts: 639
            RE: Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Mon, 10/6/08 10:23 AM (permalink)
            Have any of you tried Opies in Spicewood. It is the same concept as Coopers where you pick your meat off the pit. I think I read once he used to work at Coopers. I like it better, Coopers is a little overpriced and not as good IMO. I have not been to Opies since they moved to their new place a few months ago, but I can't imagine them changing enough to change my onpinion.

joe

acmalcolm

• Total Posts: 36
              RE: Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Mon, 10/6/08 11:33 AM (permalink)
              A few buddies of mine and myself stopped in at Opie's last April and all of us were very impressed.The sausage,ribs and brisket were top shelf.The surprise of the visit was the sides.The beans and slaw were outstanding.Not that I usually pay much attention to sides when I'm doing TX 'que (the meat's the thing), but Opie's sides were slap yo mama good.Definitely worth a daytrip from Austin.A few Lone Stars at Poodie's Hilltop also hit the spot.

acmalcolm

• Total Posts: 36
                RE: Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Mon, 10/6/08 11:35 AM (permalink)
                Oh,and another thing-I have to say that if Cooper's has cabrito (baby goat) when you hit Llano,give it a shot.Real good.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6068
                  RE: Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Mon, 10/6/08 11:38 AM (permalink)
                  Looks like a fun place!!!

MGWerks

RE: Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Mon, 10/6/08 11:47 AM (permalink)
                    I appreciate all the feedback. All I can report is my impresions. People all have different opinions, likes and dislikes when it comes to meat preference, seasonings, wood, sauce, etc., so I know there's going to be differences of opinion. Oh, and acmalcolm, if I'd seen cabrito, I'd have been all over it!

Hopefully I'll be submitting reviews of other venues as we visit (and re-visit) them.

firecommander3565

• Total Posts: 505
                      RE: Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Mon, 10/6/08 12:00 PM (permalink)
                      Now that is some fine looking eats!

Nice report!

minilops

• Total Posts: 79
                        RE: Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Mon, 10/6/08 12:25 PM (permalink)
                        I think the Cooper's in Mason is better than the Cooper's in Llano. About a month ago we met my daughter and son-in-law at the Salt Lick in Driftwood. I hadn't been there in many years and had heard about their expansion, so I was a little skeptical as to whether or not the quality was still there. I have to say all my doubts were for not! The brisket was excellent as were the ribs. I have always loved the sides and they were as good as I remembered. Give it a try!
                        Allison
                        P.S. Are you an Aggie, MGWerks?

MGWerks

RE: Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Mon, 10/6/08 12:37 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by minilops

I think the Cooper's in Mason is better than the Cooper's in Llano. About a month ago we met my daughter and son-in-law at the Salt Lick in Driftwood. I hadn't been there in many years and had heard about their expansion, so I was a little skeptical as to whether or not the quality was still there. I have to say all my doubts were for not! The brisket was excellent as were the ribs. I have always loved the sides and they were as good as I remembered. Give it a try!
                          Allison
                          P.S. Are you an Aggie, MGWerks?
                          Shirt was a dead giveaway, huh? Class of '78.

minilops

• Total Posts: 79
                            RE: Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Mon, 10/6/08 1:20 PM (permalink)
                            Gig em Aggies! Classes of '82 and '94. I also live in Aggieland.
                            Allison

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                              RE: Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Tue, 10/7/08 4:36 PM (permalink)
                              Thanks for the pics-all looks good to me!!!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
                                RE: Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Tue, 10/7/08 5:00 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by acmalcolm

A few buddies of mine and myself stopped in at Opie's last April and all of us were very impressed.The sausage,ribs and brisket were top shelf.The surprise of the visit was the sides.The beans and slaw were outstanding.Not that I usually pay much attention to sides when I'm doing TX 'que (the meat's the thing), but Opie's sides were slap yo mama good.Definitely worth a daytrip from Austin.A few Lone Stars at Poodie's Hilltop also hit the spot.

Although I have not been to Opie's myself, my son, the BBQ addict who lives in Austin, raves about it. And, I can trust his opinion because, I food trained him.

ArnieTX

• Total Posts: 345
                                  RE: Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Thu, 10/9/08 5:46 PM (permalink)
                                  Nice report Mark. I ate there a couple of months ago and enjoyed it.

Thanks for taking the time to share.

Arnie

MiamiDon

RE: Review: Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que, Llano, TX Fri, 10/10/08 11:29 AM (permalink)
                                    Great review, MGWerks! Lots of good photos of the exterior, interior and the food.

One day I have to go to one of those Texas "butcher paper" bbq joints.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com