Review - Jimbo's Roast Beef in Reading, MA

Author
Smitty in CT
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
2006/12/01 10:55:51 (permalink)

Review - Jimbo's Roast Beef in Reading, MA

I grew up on the North Shore of MA, I was weaned on roast beef sandwiches. For those that are unfamiliar, here is a link to Kelly's, they are the most famous and claim to have "invented" the roast beef sandwich....debatable. They are good, IMHO, but by far not the best. By the way, my favorite is Land & Sea in Peabody, Big Fred's in Salem would be #2. Kelly's is down around 7 or 8....

I moved to CT a few years ago and have to get back to the North Shore every few weeks, so I try to get a good sandwich while I'm up there. This past week I spotted a new Roast Beef place (Jimbo's) on RT 28 in Reading, MA (just around the corner from the train station), so I stopped in to give them a try.

I ordered "1 and a half with sauce", this translates in english to 1 large and 1 junior beef with barbeque sauce. The barbeque sauce is not your thick "smokey" BBQ but rather a thin, spicey, red sauce. Some places use James River BBQ sauce (VA). Jimbo's sauce is very spicey, but, I like it that way.. The large was HUGE, probably 12 oz of beef, sliced very thin, and extremely tender, I would have to say that the beef was probably some of the best I have ever eaten... The "junior" was probably in the 6 - 8 oz size, Prices were average. The only negative thing that I can report was that the rolls were "chewy", it was later in the evening so they may not have been at their freshest. Had the rolls been better, this place could very well have become my new favorite.

I will definitely try them again and report back.

Smitty

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1