Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2973
2006/04/30 19:38:52 (permalink)

Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA

Well, we finally got here. This is the place that everyone's said is the best. Forget Arcaro & Genell's, they say. You'll never go back to Revello's they say. Are they right? Well, no on either count, and maybe a little bit on both.

First, this place is a real old time joint. It looks OK from the outside, but the inside is best described as "run down". We walked in through what seems to be the janitor closet; at the end you turn left into the (all smoking tables) dining room, or right into the bar area. Both are fully lit; the bar tables are all in a line like in a cafeteria, and at 6PM on a Saturday there were some pretty serious drinkers who looked like they'd been pounding 'em down all day, and who weren't going home soon either. The dining room had one setup for 30, and maybe 10 tables for 2 or 4.

We sat at a table in the dining room; there was only one other couple there. In a couple minutes the waitress showed up, and asked what we wanted. I asked for a menu, and she pointed to the little card in the standup on the table; that was the menu. On the one side, pizza; either red with a choice of toppings or white with a choice of plain or broccoli. And on the other side the dinners; potato gnocci with meatballs, spaghetti with meatballs, tripe, linguini with red or white clam sauce, meatball plate, or sausage and peppers. Since we were in Old Forge, we decided on a mix of pizza slices; we got some red with sausage, with pepperoni, and with sausage/mushroom/pepper; and some white plain, and white with broccoli.

Timing was OK enough. I could see the kitchen from my seat, and I will say that it's been a long time since I've seen someone smoking in a kitchen; our waitress was puffing away right by the door. You have to remember where we are, though, in Ghigarelli's in Old Forge. You want hoity-toity, well, they don't need you either. This is a joint.

On to the food, though! Here's the good part. The crust. Oh man, this is the crust. It is crusty. It is thin, and it breaks like a cracker. The crust is a rebake; it is a shell, but I don't think it's an Augustini Bakery shell. It seems homemade. And it tastes like really great Italian bread. The red sauce is pretty good; it's sweet and oniony, not real oregany, not very garlicky. Ghigarelli's uses mozzarella for their cheese (Revello's uses Monterey Jack). The white is a double crust with the cheese in the middle, brushed with olive oil, rosemary and garlic and other savory herbs. The mozzarella runs out of the cut like warm brie; there is twice as much crust. I'll say it again: twice as much crust. Slices run about a buck each, by the way.

The sensation of eating an Old Forge pizza cut is really one of accepting the beauty of simple things. Crust. Sauce. Cheese. Eat. Repeat. Have a beer while you're at it. I'd say that these slices are the equal of Revello's. Because of the crust, maybe a little bit better...

But here's the rub. The toppings. Seriously, if you come to Ghigarelli's and get the pizza, skip the toppings. The sausage is from frozen. The peppers are canned sweet peppers. The mushrooms are canned. The broccoli is frozen. The pepperoni is, well, pepperoni. At Revello's, the sausage is the same sausage they serve in their sausage and pepper dish. The meatballs are the homemade meatballs. The peppers and onions are freshly cooked. Only the mushrooms are canned. At Arcaro & Genell's, all toppings are fresh, as is the broccoli in the stuffed white pizza.

So there you have it. A little bit of both. Some folks with a small town perspective on things, putting out an excellent product that they don't really seem to think about or care much about. "Excellent pizza? Yeah, what's it to you? Some kinda big deal or what? Here, have some canned peppers, that'll shut you up. We got drinkin' ta do." If you want a restaurant, go to A&G. If you want consistently excellent with "extras", go to Revello's. If you want a very narrow and limited definition of the best, go to Ghigarelli's and avoid the extras, get plain red and plain white. For those items, they found the bullseye and can hit it repeatedly.

On the other hand, we were stuffed full for well under $20; with sodas, tax and a $3 tip we were out the door for $17 even and took a slice we couldn't eat home with us. And for food the quality of Old Forge pizza you can't beat that with a stick.

Tom

40 Replies Related Threads

Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 842
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/04/30 20:11:52 (permalink)
    Where is Old Forge?
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/04/30 21:03:02 (permalink)
    It would take less time to type old forge pa into google than it would to ask that question here, and you would already have the answer by now.
    albinoni
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 12:12:32 (permalink)
    I have never seen such unacceptable responses to a legitmate question on these boards. Since I was curious about where Old Forge is, I think it's downright rude to praise a restaurant and then give a flippant answer to a poster who simply wants to know where the town is. Grow up.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 12:24:55 (permalink)
    Old Forge, PA is about 5 1/2 miles south of Scranton, PA.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 13:56:51 (permalink)
    Shrug. I think the internet is mature enough that it is OK to remind people that there is a search engine for answers, and that it is considered bad netiquette to expect others to do your searches for you. The "PA" in the header should have gotten it close enough, by the way.

Tom
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 14:36:27 (permalink)
    Mosca, great post. I have never been and would like to go soon. Your review refreshed that notion for me and gave me a good overview of the choices out there. I would still hit all three, I think, just for the experience.

That is the type of restaurant review that makes Roadfood a good place to look at. Its a shame the thread digresses into the usual petty bull**** that seems to overtake this place.

Shara
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 14:38:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mosca

Shrug. I think the internet is mature enough that it is OK to remind people that there is a search engine for answers, and that it is considered bad netiquette to expect others to do your searches for you. The "PA" in the header should have gotten it close enough, by the way.

Tom

Yes, but when you post a review, it is also considered bad netiquette not to answer questions related to your review--especially ones that you a) obviously know and b) need all of 5 seconds to answer. Personally, I have never heard of expecting a poster with a reasonable and relevent question being told (and rather shortly at that) to go do a search--and I've been posting on forums for years.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 15:02:45 (permalink)
    Yeah, well whatever. 7 replies and all but one have been addressing the forum interplay rather than the subject. Just goes to show what's really important here. I took a couple hours to write a well reasoned and thought out review, and I get crap for expecting someone to use google.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 15:34:13 (permalink)
    Mosca, thanks for trying Ghig's!!!! I used to go with my folks back in the 70's and have been doing the takeout thing on a pretty regular rotation for about the past five years. (Ghig's is a little out of the way for both my wife and I, but it's worth the detour).

I guess I must acknowledge that I am generally NOT a white pizza guy. ("Tastes too much like grilled cheese" is a pretty accurate beef). So, your review was even insightful to a regular like me. I've NEVER (at least in recent memory) ordered anything other than red cuts (not slices in these parts). The bar area (that you have to pass through for take out) is always ridiculously smoky. Personally, I can't wait for PA to go smoke-free, there are a lot of great dives that really are worth the trip...but the smoke ruins the experience.

Revello's is far more customer friendly, with some sweetheart waitresses who I remember from some 30 years ago, and Ghig's could be called a joint---or even a dive. I'm still pretty sure they make you pay for your drinks when you get them...even when dining. Well, at least my friend told me they made him (and he's not too suspect) a few years back.

Anyway, back to the real reason for our posts...Ghig's crust is UNBELIEVABLE!!! And I think the Red Sauce is on a par with Revello's. Then, the onions give it that snap that just puts it way over the top. For me, this is the BEST OLD FORGE PIZZA. Add a sprinkle of Crushed Red Pepper and call it heaven!

Great review!!! Now, you got to get takeout at the new Calogero's, a little further south on Main Street. It's like Ghig's, but a little thicker. Another great pizza!!!

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 17:37:01 (permalink)
    Yeah Stan, I tried "cuts" in the text and figured "slices" would be more understandable to non-tray pizza lovers.

Defining elements of Old Forge style are the use of a rectangular prebaked shell rather than a fresh baked crust, a sweet and oniony sauce rather than the typical savory garlic and oregano sauce, cheeses other than mozzarella (scamutz, Monterey jack, Cooper, etc) and the option of white pizza, either single or double crust, with olive oil, garlic, oregano and rosemary brushed on top and a white variation of broccoli topping/stuffing. And there is also pagach, a potato and cheese double crust pizza. Old Forge trays (not pies) are generally cut once crossways and then three times lengthwise, yielding 8 slices (edit: I mean CUTS) per tray. Of course this varies by location.
    Tastytoo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 271
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 18:05:12 (permalink)
    quote:

It would take less time to type old forge pa into google than it would to ask that question here, and you would already have the answer by now.

And in the time it took you to type this you could have just answered the question. I'm not trying to be snarky. But if you take the time to post a review why not include the location and phone number. When I first read your post I read PA as an abbreviation for pizza, not Pennsylvania. And I know better!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 18:23:43 (permalink)
    Bah. Like I said, the food isn't important any more. I gave my reason for not answering above. I don't care if you don't like it. Yes you are trying to be snarky. The end.

And it takes all of about a minute to get a map with a pin in it at Ghigarelli's. That's how I drove there, since I didn't know where it was before I left the house.
    Tastytoo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 18:44:18 (permalink)
    quote:

Bah. Like I said, the food isn't important any more. I gave my reason for not answering above. I don't care if you don't like it. Yes you are trying to be snarky. The end.

And it takes all of about a minute to get a map with a pin in it at Ghigarelli's. That's how I drove there, since I didn't know where it was before I left the house.

No, I was not being snarky. Anyone who takes the time to post a review should include pertinent data.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 19:00:30 (permalink)
    38 seconds.

(Link to pinmap that it took 38 seconds to find removed because it screwed with the formatting)

And I posted A LOT of pertinent information. I posted WHAT THE FOOD IS LIKE.

Tell you what. Here's my review of King's, in Mountain Top. PA.

King's Restaurant
    49 S Mountain Blvd
    Mountain Top, PA 18707
    (570)474-5464

Bon appetit!

[url][/url]
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 19:13:12 (permalink)
    Mosca,

It does not matter what you post on these boards; you are going to get a bunch of "b-i-t-x-x-ing posters". I would never take the time that you did to post about a restaurant on Roadfood. All you get in return is a bunch of "nit-picking" replies............far from the true spirit of what Roadfood is all about!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 19:17:46 (permalink)
    Greymo, it's OK. I'm bored and having fun with it. I have to go back and fix that link (TO THE PIN MAP WITH GHIGARELLI'S THAT IT TOOK ME 38 SECONDS TO FIND) though. It's playing havoc with the formatting. I haven't figured how to embed a link in text in this outmoded software the board runs on.

Tom
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 19:23:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tastytoo

quote:

No, I was not being snarky. Anyone who takes the time to post a review should include pertinent data.

OK, hotshot. You write a review. Put up or shut up. It's a lot of freakin' work to get told that it didn't measure up.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 19:36:04 (permalink)
    You know Mosca.................you are a real butthead.

You are not supposed to review actual restaurants here. You are supposed to rant and rave and find fault with everything any one posts that is a geniuine review of a real "roadfood' place. You are supposed to pick anyone apart that does post about a restaurant. You are only taken seriously if you talk about different brands of ketchup, long gone chains, existing chains, and how cheap one can eat at the drive-thru's. Now that I have told you the rules, I hope that you will adhere to them and tell us all what fast food chain has the best tomato slices on their burgers!!!

Incidentally, this is a post from one of your critics........please note how carefully this was done and what a lovely Roadfood place it is!

Have you tried Sweet Tomatoes? I think you mentioned living in the Western Suburbs. There is a St. Charles location.

http://www.sweettomatoes.com

More upscale and pricier than Wendy's. They have soups, breads, pasta, a baked potato bar and desserts also.
    "

LOL LOL LOL
    Tastytoo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 20:05:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greymo

You know Mosca.................you are a real butthead.

You are not supposed to review actual restaurants here. You are supposed to rant and rave and find fault with everything any one posts that is a geniuine review of a real "roadfood' place. You are supposed to pick anyone apart that does post about a restaurant. You are only taken seriously if you talk about different brands of ketchup, long gone chains, existing chains, and how cheap one can eat at the drive-thru's. Now that I have told you the rules, I hope that you will adhere to them and tell us all what fast food chain has the best tomato slices on their burgers!!!

Incidentally, this is a post from one of your critics........please note how carefully this was done and what a lovely Roadfood place it is!

"Have you tried Sweet Tomatoes? I think you mentioned living in the Western Suburbs. There is a St. Charles location.

http://www.sweettomatoes.com

More upscale and pricier than Wendy's. They have soups, breads, pasta, a baked potato bar and desserts also.
    "

LOL LOL LOL
    So the place I mentioned in that thread is not roadfood. It still might meet that person's needs and it was posted in the appropriate forum. As for ranting and raving, that is what the two of you are doing, Show me where I said anything insulting. All I did was state facts. I'm not the one making fun of someone else's post and cutting and pasting it in another thread to mock someone. If you have a problem with my posts email a moderator or me. I am done defending the person you were rude to and myself.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 705
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 20:21:50 (permalink)
    quote:

Yeah, well whatever. 7 replies and all but one have been addressing the forum interplay rather than the subject. Just goes to show what's really important here. I took a couple hours to write a well reasoned and thought out review, and I get crap for expecting someone to use google.

2 hours to write a review....

2 minutes to write where the place is located.

LOL
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 20:45:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by garryd451

quote:

LOL

And 38 seconds to find it on a pin map with driving directions by typing "pizza old forge" into Google. Choose result 2 (result one is for "Jigsy's"), scroll to "ghigarelli's" and click on "map". Then click on "Ghigarelli's restaurant in pa". Anyone who would prefer no reviews at all, that's fine with me. Youse can go eat Domino's. Hey, it's always the same everywhere, and you don't need a review. Heck, you'd probably like it. And it's easy to find, to. There's probably one near you. Heck, you're probably eating it now and liking it.

I was under the impression that CONTENT was valued. Thanks, Greymo, for opening my eyes on that one.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 20:48:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tastytoo
    All I did was state facts.

All you stated was your OPINION.

Like I said. Put up or shut up. Write a review.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 20:50:56 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

LOL

And 38 seconds to find it on a pin map with driving directions by typing "pizza old forge" into Google. Choose result 2 (result one is for "Jigsy's"), scroll to "ghigarelli's" and click on "map". Then click on "Ghigarelli's restaurant in pa". Anyone who would prefer no reviews at all, that's fine with me. Youse can go eat Domino's. Hey, it's always the same everywhere, and you don't need a review. Heck, you'd probably like it. And it's easy to find, to. There's probably one near you. Heck, you're probably eating it now and liking it.

I was under the impression that CONTENT was valued. Thanks, Greymo, for opening my eyes on that one.

Thank You for correcting me, I have been wrong for a couple years!

I thought forums were for directions, suggestions, good tips on where to eat and general comments.

I was told in the past that reviews were to be in the review section and not the forums. I am sorry, I was told wrong, thanks for the correction and I am sorry that I offended You.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 20:56:14 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

LOL

You too, hotshot. Put up or shut up. Write a review or zip it. And not on Ponderosa or Houlihan's, and more than one sentence.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 21:25:05 (permalink)
    quote:

I thought forums were for directions, suggestions, good tips on where to eat and general comments.

I was told in the past that reviews were to be in the review section and not the forums. I am sorry, I was told wrong, thanks for the correction and I am sorry that I offended You.

From the FAQ:

1.How should I notify you of a great restaurant you should try?
    You can do two things - First, you can post your findings on the Roadfood Forums. The other option is to click on the "Submit Content" link on the bottom of the page (it will prompt you to login) and complete the restaurant information, write a review and be sure to post pictures of the food.

So yes, you were wrong. Either a review or a forum post are acceptable.

However...

Further down, the point is made, IN BOLD: All reviews for a new restaurant must have an approved photo of the food to be published on the site. So, if I don't take my camera to dinner and photograph my meal, the piece doesn't get into the "reviews".

So by default the proper place for me to put this was the forum.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 21:28:24 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

From the FAQ:

1.How should I notify you of a great restaurant you should try?
    You can do two things - First, you can post your findings on the Roadfood Forums. The other option is to click on the "Submit Content" link on the bottom of the page (it will prompt you to login) and complete the restaurant information, write a review and be sure to post pictures of the food.

Further down, the point is made, IN BOLD: All reviews for a new restaurant must have an approved photo of the food to be published on the site. So, if I don't take my camera to dinner and photograph my meal, the piece doesn't get into the "reviews".

Okay. like I said before I AM SORRY!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE BEEN TOLD WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/01 22:51:28 (permalink)
    Thanks for a well-written report, Tom. Hope your recovery is proceeding well.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/02 00:44:32 (permalink)
    I'm still trying to get my head around the concept of jack cheese on a pizza. I don't think I can.
    porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Review of Ghigarelli's in Old Forge PA 2006/05/02 08:03:06 (permalink)
    I met a guy from the Scranton area who told me to try Old Forge pizza the next time I was in........Athens, Georgia. Ort, how 'bout a review? Here's a link

http://www.jigsy.com/old-forge-pizza.html
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1