The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Review of Hill Country BBQ NYC

Louis144

• Total Posts: 10
Review of Hill Country BBQ NYC Wed, 01/16/08 11:02 AM (permalink)
We ate at Hill Country BBQ, 30 W 26th Street, New York, on Saturday Jan 12, 2008. It was great.
We had decided on Hill Country after reading a terific review already posted here some time ago, in which the reviewer stated that he had just about given up on BBQ in NYC, and then he experienced Hill Country.
Subsequently, New York Magazine featured Hill Country in their '2008 Eats' edition just a few week ago.
We got the briefing on how it works and were seated right away. This was at 6PM; when we left there was a wait.
You approach the center counter and order your entry from the chalkboard listing, which shows the per-pound price. We all had the 'Pit Master's Special' which gives you something of everything. It is presented to you on butcher paper, and they will bring some paper containers for bones and things to your table. Plenty of paper towels on each table, many of which are bench-style, maybe 8 seats per side, but there are a lot of 2s and 4s.
We all agreed that we would specialize next time. The chicken is fine, but you don't come there for BBQ chicken. The brisket is great, and moist is better than lean (IMO) because fats transports flavor in the mouth. The beef rib was really tasty, but I'd go back for the pork ribs. Aiy! As I am writing this I wanna have some now!
After you lick up your entry, you mosey over to the 'sides' counter, and they have hot and cold sides. We tried the campfire baked beans, the mac and cheese, the mashed potatoes and...I forget the fourth one! No unanimity here, we all said that our own pick was the tastiest. So you may infer that they were all good. I chose the beans, but I will concede the mac and cheese was good.
They pile handfuls of white bread on your tray when you pick up your entry, just like Rudy's near San Antonio. Eschew the bread! Takes up valuable space better used for ribs.
BBQ sauce is very good. We tried the Red soda, it was a strawberry thing, I was the only one that didn't dig it. Coke with BBQ for me.
We wanted to try the desserts, but there was no way. Among the four of us we left with a hefty doggie bag.
This discriminating group gave Hill Country an 'excellent' rating.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
    RE: Review of Hill Country BBQ NYC Sun, 01/20/08 12:24 AM (permalink)
    nice review, Louis, and welcome to Roadfood!
    When you get more comfortable, you may want to add some succulent pics to your trip reports. ( we can help guide you along on how to insert pics)
    It's a good stimulus for even more discussion.

I did a trip report on Hill Country back in July, and I really enjoyed the place, as well.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6094
      RE: Review of Hill Country BBQ NYC Sun, 01/20/08 10:53 AM (permalink)
      What are the prices like??

wmceaton

• Total Posts: 313
        RE: Review of Hill Country BBQ NYC Sun, 01/20/08 11:06 AM (permalink)
        Thanks for the review...looking forward to trying that place out. Has anyone been to Blue Smoke in NYC? I heard that place is really good too. Any thoughts?

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
          RE: Review of Hill Country BBQ NYC Sun, 01/20/08 11:15 AM (permalink)
          Check out the review here on the site. There is also a link on it to the restaurant website.

I've been to Blue Smoke before, it's alright, but I'm not particularly crazy about the food or the prices.
          quote:
          Originally posted by chewingthefat

What are the prices like??

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
            RE: Review of Hill Country BBQ NYC Mon, 01/21/08 2:59 PM (permalink)
            Never eaten BBQ in New York,but my sister has been to Daisy Mae's and likes their food.
            Don't know if Jessica has tried Blue Smoke or Hill Country BBQ.
            If she comes down here back to Texas this summer,I want to try to go to City Market in Luling,which is just up the road from me aways.Guess it's about 30 or 40 miles. Been to both Lockhart and Luling but never ate in any bbq places in either town.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
              RE: Review of Hill Country BBQ NYC Wed, 01/23/08 1:06 AM (permalink)
              I did'nt care for Blue Smoke either. I thought the beef ribs were too thin and stiff...

I find the price structure at the Hill Country is very fair, cause it puts YOU in control; the meat is sold per pound, and you can decide how little or how much you want to eat...

If someone is on a tight budget , they can just get about $5.00 worth of moist brisket, and not order any side dishes.

Or even 1 beef rib, for instance, and a little bit of brisket...

MiamiDon

RE: Review of Hill Country BBQ NYC Wed, 01/23/08 9:30 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Louis144

After you lick up your entry...

It must have been VERY good!

mikez629

• Total Posts: 307
                  RE: Review of Hill Country BBQ NYC Wed, 01/23/08 9:51 AM (permalink)
                  How does it compare to DINO BBQ?

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Review of Hill Country BBQ NYC Wed, 01/23/08 10:09 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by mikez629

How does it compare to DINO BBQ?

I think Hill Country is very different than Dinosaur. Dinosaur is more saucy and sweet, while Hill Country is all about the smoke. Both are outstanding and very welcome additions to the NYC food scene.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com