Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ

Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6271
2014/06/28 17:15:30 (permalink)

Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ

Just had a great lunch at a fairly new establishment here in Brick: Lindy's in the Towne Hall Shopping center. Also had a nice talk with the owner who is from Bayonne. We talked of North Jersey Hot dogs, Rutts Hut, Jimmy Buff's. He said he wants  to be known for quality at great prices. My daughter and I gad the special: two Thumman's dogs(smaller natural casing bun size, but Deep fried like Rutt's Hut, and a refillable soft drink..for 5 dollars. Great deal. We added a regular order of fries(really as big as a large)fresh cut and fried in peanut oil for $2.25. They also have fresh burgers(80-20 lean) for$1.45,amazing! Add cheese steaks,Italian hot dogs made the right way,Italian sausage sandwiches,pulled pork...you have a great stop. And they're even open early with a breakfast menu.
    I was very impressed. I enjoyed my talk with the owner about growing up in north Jersey. He's also now  selling Italian ice made fresh in Brooklyn,the right way. My lemon ice was loaded with bits of lemon the way I remember it as a kid!! This is real Italian ice, not the water ice like Rita's sells, that people THINK is Italian ice! 
   All in all this is a great new place for hot dog lovers. John Fox, you'd love talking to this guy, and I think you'd really enjoy what he's trying to do for hot dogs here at the Jersey shore.

18 Replies Related Threads

bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1311
    Re:Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/06/30 12:49:48 (permalink)
    When going to a restaurant, there are certain things which can help indicate that the restaurant is good. They are by no means 100% (I recall my disappointment in my "if the restaurant is full of people having a good time, it's good, cheap, or both" rule failing at a New York Chinese spot), but they help put the odds in my favor. One rule (especially useful with food trucks/pushcarts) is if the owner speaks with pride about his or her food to interested customers, it is a very good sign. So I'm definitely going to give the place a try.

Bart
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/06/30 14:12:16 (permalink)
    If you go, also try a Boardwalk hot dog, at a place on Drum Point Road called "Boardwalk Hot dogs" I believe the Jersey hot dog tour went there a few years ago. Good Natural Casing Schickhaus dogs. We now have two great dog places, and 5-6 trucks!
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    Re:Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/07/09 23:26:57 (permalink)
    Not good reviews over on Yelp!:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/lindys-hotdogs-brick

But I am down to visit them.. how can I pass up some $1.45 burgers and cheap hot dogs. Might take my Grandmother there this weekend.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/07/10 03:09:43 (permalink)
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2335
    Re: Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/07/13 07:26:06 (permalink)
    Pete Genovese and myself were down in the Brick area for the Inside Jersey magazine article, but missed this place. We were going to go back but never made it. I sent a message to the owner asking about the dogs but he wouldn't answer, instead telling me to stop in. I was tempted to tell him I didn't want to make the trip if I didn't know what he served. I guess he uses the Thumann's deep fryer. Thanks for the info. Hopefully he doesn't use it for the Italian Hot Dog as it is the wrong dog for this type of sandwich. Thanks for the info. We did hit Boardwalk Hot Dogs.
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/07/21 09:02:33 (permalink)
    Well I went here.. and I'm never going back again!!

I have been looking for close to a week to find sneakers that fit me. Hard to find large sizes in a wide width. So, I end up driving like 40 minutes south of where I live and finally purchase two pairs. It was my first day wearing them out and I must have been not eating over the table and chili dripped on them! There's a stain on my new kicks!

Seriously, though... I'll definitely be back. The mall was nice looking and clean on the outside. Plenty of parking. Inside was bright and sunny. They have a lot of windows, so you can't see the television during the day depending on where you are sitting. They have about 10 or 12 tables. The lady behind the counter was a little quiet, but she was friendly and service was quick.

Prices are off the top of my head.. but burgers are indeed $1.55, with cheese $1.95 I think. Hot dogs were around $2.20 and $2.55 with chili. Chili is homemade, otherwise I wouldn't have tried it.

Burgers come with onions by default, unless you do not want them. They are long stringy ones. They're bigger than White Castle. Maybe the size of a McDonald's burger or a tad bigger, but freshly made. The burgers could have used some seasoning. A little salt and pepper. But for the price they were good burgers and I'd order them again.

Hot dogs are indeed Thumann's. They were grilled nicely. They didn't snap when I bit into them, but they were well done on the outside. I like them a lot.

Chili is good as well. Not spicy, nor sweet. Not sure how to describe it other than I liked it and gladly eat it again. Very meaty, no beans as it should be for a hot dog topping. Next time I'd like to try the chili by itself if I could, because I think the mustard clouded my judgement a little.

Fries seemed freshly cut, but I didn't ask. Skin on. Not super thin like McDonalds, but not thick. Crispy. Lots of them.

On the table was the usual assortment ketchup, Gulden's Mustard, etc.. but it was nice to also see Cajun Seasoning.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1311
    Re: Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/07/21 12:40:23 (permalink)
    yuppicide
    Well I went here.. and I'm never going back again!!

I have been looking for close to a week to find sneakers that fit me. Hard to find large sizes in a wide width. So, I end up driving like 40 minutes south of where I live and finally purchase two pairs. It was my first day wearing them out and I must have been not eating over the table and chili dripped on them! There's a stain on my new kicks!

Scared me for a minute; I thought I had somehow logged on to Yelp without knowing it.

Bart
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 855
    Re: Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/07/21 12:42:32 (permalink)
    Sounds worth a trip
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re: Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/07/21 12:54:27 (permalink)
    I'm happy you guys are agreeing with me.....I had two Thumanns for 5 dollars that day(the special) and lots of fries for two and a quarter and the guy told me they WERE hand cut and fried in peanut oil......it is a good deal...can't talk about the burgers,didn't try one, maybe next time if I can pass on a hotdog (hey,maybe both!) Did any of you try that lemon ice from Brooklyn?
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/07/21 15:58:44 (permalink)
    I'm not from the hood. I don't collect sneakers. But that day I swear to you, that chili was in slow motion. I was like "nooooooooo".

It said it on the wall, but you can definitely tell the fries were cooked in peanut oil. They were very tasty. Now that I think about it, not too greasy either.

Next time I go back I think I'd definitely get chili on my burger. Heck, if they'll make me a cheesesteak with chili that would be great. I'm going to see if they'll sell me a side of chili as well so I can taste it by itself.

I did not have lemon ice.. I don't really care for that stuff. Although, if you want a quick funny story about ice. A friend and I are walking through Menlo Park Mall or Woodbridge Mall sometime in the 90's. He had gotten a large red italian ice. Anyway, we're walking for awhile and my friend notices he's bleeding and dripping on the floor. Did he bump into something and cut his hand open? While my friend was inspecting his body parts, I look behind us and there's a like a mile long trail of red. It was from the ice.. either someone at the ice stand didn't notice there was a crack in the bottom of the cup, or they played a joke on us. Well played italian ice minimum wage employee. Well played.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re: Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/07/21 16:16:24 (permalink)
    Cute story. Just a thought...what is sold at malls and such is usually something like a Rita's, which is NOT real Italian ice. This stuff is like what I grew up with in the 50's in the city...The lemon flavor is the best...it is NOT like commercial stuff! Glad you all are enjoying Lindy's.
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/07/22 09:06:37 (permalink)
    Well, nothing against Italian Ice. I'm not really a fan of sweets to begin with. I like savory.

I don't eat a lot of ice cream or donuts, but if you make something interesting I'll try. Like I saw a donut shop in Pennsylvania with Curry Donuts. Not sure what they were.. curry glaze? Curry in the donut? As it was a busy street, I had a car full of like 20 boxes of "pitza", so I had no hunger to turn around for. I always regret not going back.

A believe this restaurant in Cranford, NJ makes Roasted Garlic ice cream. I'd be interested in that.
    brookquarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re: Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/07/23 06:02:11 (permalink)
    Yuppicide\ Curry Donuts is a small chain of Donut shops in Northeastern Pa founded by people named 'Curry'
     Good basic donuts- nothing exotic
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/07/23 09:27:21 (permalink)
    Well, I looked up Curry Donuts and their locations. That's it! Hazleton. Good to know I can put my mind to rest.

brookquarry
    Yuppicide\ Curry Donuts is a small chain of Donut shops in Northeastern Pa founded by people named 'Curry'
     Good basic donuts- nothing exotic

yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/07/23 09:30:23 (permalink)
    You know, on a side note, some time after that trip a few years ago, I bought a mini donut mold for the oven. It came with instructions to make 12 mini donuts. I put curry in the donuts. I should have made a curry glaze to go on top instead. Maybe this weekend.
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/08/23 23:29:27 (permalink)
    Alright I went back to Lindy's today. I asked them about chili in a bowl. They don't serve that, but they might start doing that soon.. more towards the winter. She would have gave me a taste, but I said nah I've had it before.. I just wanted a small side of it so I could try it by itself without anything else to cloud my flavor judgement.

Here's a pic of the fries.. fresh cut, skin on. Salt them yourself.

Here's a pic of the dog. Excellent chili. Not spicy, not sweet, just good chili. You can kind of see how the outside is nicely grilled. Well, I can see it a little anyway.

PS - Want some irony? I'm eating outside in my car. I got some chili on my shirt. I had forgot to grab napkins. So, I wiped my shirt with an exact copy of the shirt. I screen printed some shirts awhile ago, so I had a whole backseat of them in sizes that don't fit me.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re: Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/08/24 01:01:51 (permalink)
    Next time try the Italian ice...lemon is perfect!!!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re: Review:Lindy's in Brick NJ 2014/08/24 01:02:47 (permalink)
    Oh and I loved the chili dog...had two a few days ago.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1