Hot!Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten".

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10329
Flagged as Spam (1)
2012/03/26 17:00:08 (permalink)

Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten".

Fast Food: KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie Is Awesome

Posted by Will Gordon, March 20, 2012 at 9:00 AM

[Photograph: Will Gordon]
I earn my Serious Keep by trawling the more brightly colored corners of the chewing and swilling life, dealing primarily in neon-lit chain restaurants and rainbow-hued boozes. A lot of this stuff turns out to be every bit as garbagey as you'd expect it to be—surprise, surprise, Four Loko and heat-lamped onion-bit rings suck—but a minor majority of it ranges from acceptable to downright enjoyable. Without this gig, I never would have known the pleasures of tequila-coconut rum or Wendy's chili.
But most of what I review sounds kinda gross to a lot of Serious Eaters, so I'm often thanked for "taking one for the team." This makes me feel a little guilty, because even when my tongue runs across something terrible, it's not that big a burden to take one slurp and toss the rest. The worst thing about my job is having to occasionally spit out microwaved eggs or flavored vodka.

That can be disappointing, but it's a fair trade, especially now that I can count myself among the small fraternity of people who have been paid to eat KFC's positively glorious Chunky Chicken Pot Pie. You've probably seen the corny-but-cute commercials where 70s-looking dudes in a 70s-looking car order this near-perfect pie; I'm not usually drawn to goofy retro advertising—and almost never drawn to retro eating; I'm not a big "comfort food" advocate—but I'd gladly grow sideburns while waiting in line for gas if there was a Chunky Chicken Pot Pie involved.
I usually approach my professional fast food lunches with the intent to eat a maximum of 400 calories' worth of whatever's on the docket that day, but after the first forkful of this beaut I knew I was in for the whole 790, along with the couple moons' fill of sodium and fat and all the rest of it. This pie is certainly worth its $3.99 price tag, and also worth the penitential dinner of broccoli juice and fond memories.

The crust stretches well over the border of the 6-inch pie tin, which comes in handy for those of us who like to eat pie with our hands: After you and your fork have dispatched with the center crust, there's plenty of overhang waiting to be broken off into an edible pie shovel. The pastry tastes quite good, too. It's fairly well browned, though a touch blonde for my personal tastes, and very buttery. It's nicely layered, with the exodermis providing some crunch before giving way to an undercrust that melts into the rest of the pie.
The filling consists of bite-sized shreds of white and dark chicken, carrot coins, peas, diced potatoes, and gravy. The chicken-to-potato ratio runs high on the poultry side, which is a good thing in terms of both value and quality. The meat is tender and flavorful, while I didn't even notice the potatoes until I was halfway through my lunch. They weren't so distinguishable from the gravy-soaked crust shrapnel, but their mushiness was fine in a pie context and there weren't enough of them to get in the way of the good stuff.

It was a pleasant surprise to find that the carrots belong firmly in the good stuff category. These are no mere afterthought tossed in to provide color and token nutrition. The dozen or so quarter-inch rounds are thick enough to retain some of their snap and most of their flavor. The peas don't fair as well, but at least they stay bright green and slightly sweet.
The gravy is the lifeblood of any savory pie, and the KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie's vital fluid holds the guts together with much aplomb and butter. It's lighter in color and heavier in texture and flavor than the stuff they pour on the mashed potatoes, with sweetness and tang to enhance the pepper and cream. This is pretty ambitious juice for fast food gravy, and the gamble pays off handsomely.
The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten.
About the author: Will Gordon loves life and hates mayonnaise. You can eat and drink with him in Boston or follow him on twitter @WillGordonAgain.

37 Replies Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4233
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/03/26 19:04:26 (permalink)
    Somehow I don't think foodbeme is a spamster.

As it appears to have a zero pink slime content, I'll give one a try.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/03/26 19:52:09 (permalink)
    I'm not a Spammer! I merely provided that info to give RF'ers a heads up on a fast food product that might have some merit, since we spend so much time blasting Fast Food. 
    I don't work for KFC, Taco Bell or Pizza Hut. I don't own any Yum Brands stock and am not a pimp. Have no connection to Serious Eats or the author either.
    I think the only people who should be able to throw the Spam Black Ball are the Moderators.
    Would the Anonymous Spam Poster please Identify yourself and explain why you spammed this post. I'm all ears! Would love to hear your illogical reasoning.

Here's a definition of Spamming related to Forums:
    "Forum spamming is a breach of netiquette where users repeat the same word or phrase over and over, but differs from multiple posting in that spamming is usually a willful act that sometimes has malicious intent. This is a common trolling technique. It can also be traditional spam, unpaid advertisements that are in breach of the forum's rules. Spammers utilize a number of illicit techniques to post their spam, including the use of botnets."

INTENT & MOTIVE are the major criteria for detemining if a post is Spamming.
    By some stretch of imagination, I guess it could be construed as advertising, although that is not my INTENT since I have no MOTIVE to advertise their product. My post is meant to be informative.

I hope the Moderators and "Powers that Be" address this Spam Issue pretty soon.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/03/26 20:09:06
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8109
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/03/26 20:49:09 (permalink)
    When I had my tooth implants I stopped at KFC to pick up some mashed potatoes.  I didn't feel like making my own and the KFC variety isn't horrible.

The person in front of me ordered a couple of those chicken pot pies.

Hmmm,  I bet I could chew on the small pieces.  It was heavenly.

I kept going back to get them until they discontinued the treat.  I'm hoping that this new pot pie is the same or at least as good as the former.

It was that good.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18690
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/03/26 21:34:13 (permalink)
    I'm sure the Phantom Spammer must have been suggesting that a pot pie made with Spam instead of chicken might be a good idea. After all, no one in his or her right mind could possibly think the original post was spam.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/03/26 23:37:07 (permalink)
    Am I missing something?  KFC has had chicken pot pie around for at least a decade--at least where I live.  It's OK.  It's better than some of their products.

mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/03/27 00:07:26 (permalink)
    It was discontinued and brought back recently.
    fattybomatty
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1017
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/03/27 08:37:13 (permalink)
    I haven't had KFC's chicken pot pie in years, but I do remember it being really good for fast food. Probably the only thing I would now order from there.

Mmmm...chicken pot pie. Now I want one.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7051
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/03/27 08:49:24 (permalink)
    My mother loves their chicken pot pies.  We used to have a KFC in Rochester but it closed.  Every once in a while I would go down, get a piece of white meat and a wing for me and she always got the pot pie, said it was really quite good.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5165
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/03/27 09:04:58 (permalink)
    After seeing the commercials I wondered if it was a menu item 35-40 years ago, and based on some of these replies it apparently was.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6474
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/03/27 13:56:10 (permalink)
    our local KFC never quit selling them.  They are decent, and flavorful, but a tad on the pricey side for what you get.

Then again most fast food is expensive for what you get.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/03/27 14:55:23 (permalink)
    My complaint when they were selling them in the past was that they'd be out of them.

How can a fast food place be out of what they sell?
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 634
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/03/31 02:53:23 (permalink)
    The KFC's around my area have always sold them too. Not bad and probably the best item they sell.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/04/01 00:41:43 (permalink)
    I am a little peeved that someone called this post spam. Not okay especially since it can be done anonymously. And the post is in the appropriate forum.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/04/01 01:18:03 (permalink)
    I did not think it was an individual serving...

790 cal 45g fat

Yikes...that's like the day done in WW points.

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/04/01 11:07:56 (permalink)
    mr chips

I am a little peeved that someone called this post spam. Not okay especially since it can be done anonymously. And the post is in the appropriate forum.

I agree 100%.

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/04/01 17:51:19 (permalink)
    OK, last time we got into this all hell broke loose.  I'll try this again: I flagged it.  I did not call it spam.  I clicked on the Flag for Moderator Action button.  Unfortunately, when you do that, the system puts a spam flag on the post.  That shouldn't happen (I think it's leftover from when that button was used for spam flagging).

So why did I click the button?  Merely to inform the moderators that the original post was lifted from another source.  This is against the law but, more importantly, I just think it's wrong to use someone else's content, and we shouldn't so it.  Even if you give credit and link back.  Nothing against Foodbme; I know he meant no harm.  What needs to be done here is to give a brief summary of the story and link to it.

This website has been inconsistent on this point, and I don't know if there is agreement among those running the site or not.  This really should be addressed definitively.  My guess is that there's a lot of ground to cover in the Forums and the moderators can't be expected to see all posts all the time.  Which is why there are buttons to point stuff out they may have missed.  But, in any case, it's unfortunate that a spam flag is placed on the post when someone hits the mod button.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/04/01 18:24:22 (permalink)
    BB & SB,
    Thank You for the explanation. I understand it all now.
    I didn't know it was illegal to do what I did. I won't do that in the future. I'll give a brief summary of the story and a link to it as you suggest.
    Suggest the techies fix the flag thingey!
    NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2012/04/02 14:21:47 (permalink)
    Does the pot pie have a bottom crust or only a top crust?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2014/08/13 01:15:43 (permalink)
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    OK, last time we got into this all hell broke loose.  I'll try this again: I flagged it.  I did not call it spam.  I clicked on the Flag for Moderator Action button.  Unfortunately, when you do that, the system puts a spam flag on the post.  That shouldn't happen (I think it's leftover from when that button was used for spam flagging).

So why did I click the button?  Merely to inform the moderators that the original post was lifted from another source.  This is against the law but, more importantly, I just think it's wrong to use someone else's content, and we shouldn't so it.  Even if you give credit and link back.  Nothing against Foodbme; I know he meant no harm.  What needs to be done here is to give a brief summary of the story and link to it.

This website has been inconsistent on this point, and I don't know if there is agreement among those running the site or not.  This really should be addressed definitively.  My guess is that there's a lot of ground to cover in the Forums and the moderators can't be expected to see all posts all the time.  Which is why there are buttons to point stuff out they may have missed.  But, in any case, it's unfortunate that a spam flag is placed on the post when someone hits the mod button.

I didn't think anything was wrong with it because I gave full credit to the author and the source. He's apparently a Food Blogger. Much easier to cut & paste than to take the time to write the same story only he wrote it better than I could.
    ANYWAY, I finally got around to getting one tonight for Dinner and he is correct----They're pretty darn good!!
    Much more chicken than I would have guessed and tasty too.
    The crust was flakey and light. Much better than I could make. It's a keeper! 

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6317
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2014/08/13 05:02:39 (permalink)
    Ok, sold me...got to try this...something good from KFC!!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2014/08/13 11:38:45 (permalink)
    I still have them once in awhile.  They're now an all time menu item.

I still tout them to others as I really like them.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2014/08/13 13:06:36 (permalink)
    Good web practices 101: When you want to use an article from another site, write a sentence or so stating what the article is about, MAYBE put a brief quote from the article, and link to it.

Bart
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2014/08/13 23:17:39 (permalink)
    bartl
    Good web practices 101: When you want to use an article from another site, write a sentence or so stating what the article is about, MAYBE put a brief quote from the article, and link to it.
     Bart

They didn't teach "Good Web Practices 101" when I was in school. Back then, Webs belonged to spiders. A Mouse had 4 legs and a tail and ate cheese. Twitter was what your heart did when a Chick walked by. You Googled with Mouth Wash! Spam came in a can. Text was written in a book. You wore Malware when you went to the Mall. Facebook was your Class Yearbook. Cars, not Computers Crashed.
    Ketteract
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 270
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2014/08/14 00:33:33 (permalink)
    In fairness, chicken pot pie seems like one of those dishes that's hard to do badly - you have to be down to a grade-school, industrial-class level of product before it starts to become intolerable.  

I'd rather have a chicken pot pie from Chick-fil-A than KFC, but it looks like the only way to get that is at one of their "Dwarf House" locations around Atlanta.  And apparently even they may not have it anymore.  
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4233
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2014/08/14 07:28:16 (permalink)
    Hmmm ...

Giada's favorite thing to eat is also a chicken pot pie.

Maybe we have a trend here.

She is a graduate of le Cordon Bleu, Paris.
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/08/14 19:22:52
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 368
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2014/08/20 08:03:18 (permalink)
    basically what they do is strip the breading and skin off of the unsold fried chicken at the end of the night, pull the meat off the bones and mix it with a powdered/dehydrated gravy vegetable mix and some water, and cook it a bit. then they put it into paper pie pans, top it with frozen pie crust and bake it in a convection oven, then stash them in a cvap cabinet until they're sold. yum! brands calls it a way to use "restaged" chicken....

around here, the pies are hit-and-miss. sometimes you get one that is loaded with lots of chicken, sometimes you get one that is all gravy and very little chicken. but, overall, they are much better than the frozen supermarket pot pies even though they don't have any bottom crust. the price is a bit high, $4 is the usual price here...
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2014/08/20 11:25:22 (permalink)
    Nothing wrong with that.  Yum!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2014/08/21 02:17:11 (permalink)
    marzsit
    basically what they do is strip the breading and skin off of the unsold fried chicken at the end of the night, pull the meat off the bones and mix it with a powdered/dehydrated gravy vegetable mix and some water, and cook it a bit. then they put it into paper pie pans, top it with frozen pie crust and bake it in a convection oven, then stash them in a cvap cabinet until they're sold. yum! brands calls it a way to use "restaged" chicken....

around here, the pies are hit-and-miss. sometimes you get one that is loaded with lots of chicken, sometimes you get one that is all gravy and very little chicken. but, overall, they are much better than the frozen supermarket pot pies even though they don't have any bottom crust. the price is a bit high, $4 is the usual price here...

I don't know where you got your information but you're not describing what I got at KFC.
    1. The pan was not paper it was metal.
    2. The pie had a bottom crust.
    3. The top crust was so perfectly made that it could not have been rolled out and put together by hand. It was machine made and applied.
    4. I've had 4 of them now and everything in each of them was consistent like the others.
    5. Definitely not hand made.

marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 368
    Re:Reviewer says, "The KFC Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is the best fast food I have ever eaten" 2014/08/22 06:50:38 (permalink)
    it's the dry mix for the pie filling that i do have a problem with, along with the similar, but different dry mix they use to make the gravy served with the 'rehydrated' potatoes... and the ingredients in the frozen pie crust..... if the colonel were still alive he would be kicking some serious ass right now.......
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1