Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg

Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
2011/05/29 22:32:46 (permalink)

Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg

I'm sure this is not the definitive account of using the Egg. I'm probably more certain that is is an account of how forgiving the Egg is to those just learning it. Regardless, I asked for advice and took a lot of it. Here's what I did.

Starting the night before, I de-membraned 3 racks of baby back ribs and coated them generously with "John Henry's Texas Pig Rub", which is OK enough; sweet, salty, paprika-y, peppery. I wrapped them in foil and put them in the fridge. I then took two spatchcocked chickens, and I marinated one in Cornell Marinade; the other I rubbed with "John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler", which is also pretty good. The one I left covered and marinating overnight, the rubbed one I left uncovered in the fridge (except I put paper towels over it, we're not barbarians after all).

I started the Egg up around noon, and stabilized it at 265*ish as per the instructions for the "3-1-1" method, which will become clear. I tossed a heck of a lot of soaked cherry wood chips in there, and it was smoking like Cheech & Chong. I set up for indirect, put the ribs on the rack at about 12:30, and sat out on the deck. During this time I made a tomato salad and some coleslaw, did some dishes, etc. Egg temps fluctuated a little, I'm still learning, but I kept it between 250 and 280, it was only up to 280 for about 4-5 minutes. I checked them around 2:30, and temp was about 160*, so I let the temp drop for the last 30 minutes to around 200. At 3PM I wrapped them in foil and put them back on the Egg at 250* steady; it fluctuated between 225 and 250. At 4PM I took them out of the foil, coated them in Dinosaur BBQ Sauce, and put them in the oven at 225* for another hour (hence 3-1-1, 3 hours indirect/1 hour wrapped/ 1 hour direct), while I addressed the chicken.

A little after 4PM I converted the Egg to direct heat, tossed on a couple more handfuls of soaked cherry wood chips, stabilized it at 350* and put the chickens on. While they were working I made a pot of water and put on some corn. After about 45 minutes I checked the breast, it was a tick over 165 (like 168), and the juices ran clear, so I pulled the birds. Guests arrived moments later, we sat and talked from the kitchen to the deck while I assembled serving platters and Mrs Mosca set the table.

Result? Damn good. Mrs Mosca is usually circumspect when it comes to new things: "Good chicken," she said unprompted (she was eating the Cornell). And "I'm not a rib person, but I'm going to have another of those." The ribs were very tender, they were close to "fall off the bone" but the meat itself had tug to it. (An aside to edwmax, I think the foil stage had a lot to do with keeping the higher temp from drying them out; they were steaming pretty good in there. The last hour in the oven uncovered, I think that was just to take the water out of the bbq sauce).

The chicken was exactly what I expected, one bird (the Cornell) was very tender and juicy and mildly flavored throughout; the other was tender and juicy and had a nice crisp and spicy skin. (Again to edwmax, as you can see in the pictures these were pretty big birds. 45 minute is probably just about right.) I forgot to snap a shot of the Cornell chicken; here's the rubbed bird.

I think the lesson I learned is mostly that due to its nature, the Egg is reasonably forgiving of higher temps. I'm used to doing my ribs low and slow as ed had described, 225* max. Chicken was always 325* in the oven. The Egg holds moisture in. That doesn't mean I got it right, I think, but it means there is a really wide range of what gives good results with this tool. In the end I didn't ruin anything, far from it, and my dad and his gf both gushed more than what I would expect from politeness (which I've had before, I've plated some bummers with them present). In the end, I learned a lot and still got to serve the meal to appreciative guests. Next time I can make some adjustments and tweak some extra texture and flavor.

Oh; tomato salad. Take about 2 lbs of heirloom tomatoes, one seedless cucumber, a clove of garlic, a bunch of scallions, and "some" salt and pepper, whatever is right for you. Chop them all up (squeeze out the seeds from the tomatoes and discard them) and coat with balsamic vinaigrette, chill for a couple hours. Remove from the fridge about an hour before serving, serve kind of close to room temp.
post edited by Mosca - 2011/05/29 22:36:03

17 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8071
    Re:Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg 2011/05/29 23:01:31 (permalink)
    Excellent!  You are going to love your new play toy and everyone is going to benefit from it.  I love mine.

I get crazy with the temperatures.  I have to learn "not" to adjust and keep my cool.

I have not made any chicken on the Egg that has come close to dry.  It's amazing!

How high did your temperature get when you were burning off the dirty smoke?  I fried my gasket on my fourth use by forgetting that it was going.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg 2011/05/29 23:17:31 (permalink)
    It gets up around 650*. I've got a scorched spot on the gasket in the back right, this is maybe my 6th use. I think I burned it doing pizza last Thursday. I didn't write about the pizza because the first one stuck to the stone (I forgot to toss corn meal on it first) and I burned the second one. And I used store-bought frozen dough, which wasn't very good. It was OK enough, but it was closer to DiGiorno than it was to delivery.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg 2011/05/30 00:41:37 (permalink)
    I replaced my gasket a couple of weeks ago.  It was an intimidating project, but actually easy.  Let me know when that time comes as a have step by step instructions from someone who did his a little differently than the norm.  It works great.

I was going to do a spatchcock chicken tomorrow but I don't feel like it.  Guess I'll defrost something in the freezer.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    Re:Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg 2011/05/30 05:24:13 (permalink)
    Mosca:  You did an excellent job and your explanation was outstanding.  My next grill with be a Green Egg.  I bought a Weber gas grill and after a year, I am just now learning how to properly use it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg 2011/05/30 06:58:36 (permalink)
    Nice job Mosca! Those ribs and chicken look great!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4541
    Re:Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg 2011/05/30 11:09:47 (permalink)
    Nice job Tom!

Go over to A & R and get a good pair of welders gloves.  You can take the smoke plate out, and go direct heat easily, right on the egg.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg 2011/05/30 11:19:59 (permalink)
    Joe, you can see the red leather gloves juuuust in the far right edge of the last picture....
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg 2011/05/30 12:27:56 (permalink)
    Joe, is the smoke plate you speak of the same as the plate setter?   My gloves to all the way to my elbows.

What kind of lump do you boys use?  I still have a couple bags of the BGE lump that came with mine.  I know from the company that it's made by Royal Oak.   I'm just wondering if the Cowboy brand I see at some of the markets around here will perform the same.  Thanks for the tips!
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg 2011/05/30 12:43:37 (permalink)
    Looks great ... can you e-ship a rib????
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4541
    Re:Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg 2011/05/30 13:16:13 (permalink)
    mar52

Joe, is the smoke plate you speak of the same as the plate setter?   My gloves to all the way to my elbows.

What kind of lump do you boys use?  I still have a couple bags of the BGE lump that came with mine.  I know from the company that it's made by Royal Oak.   I'm just wondering if the Cowboy brand I see at some of the markets around here will perform the same.  Thanks for the tips!

Yep.  Place setter.

I get my charcoal at Milazzo Industries in Pittston.  The last time I was there, they were packaging charcoal for Royal Oak.  
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg 2011/05/30 14:53:48 (permalink)
    Thanks. That doesn't help at all but makes more sense.

If we could buy direct from the source all prices would be so much better.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8480
    Re:Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg 2011/05/30 15:02:01 (permalink)
    Awesome looking food, Mosca! Bravo!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg 2011/05/30 15:44:20 (permalink)
    mar52

Thanks. That doesn't help at all but makes more sense.

If we could buy direct from the source all prices would be so much better.

mar, I have some of the BGE lump and some of the Cowboy. The Cowboy pieces are smaller. They're also more the same general size. I don't have enough experience to say it's better or worse, but it is different.

Edit: Here is a review of Cowboy Brand.
    post edited by Mosca - 2011/05/30 15:46:37
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg 2011/05/30 15:57:10 (permalink)
    Smaller might make a difference when you're trying to get the high heat for pizza.

That's where I went wrong.  I had left the smaller pieces that hadn't burned in the bottom of the bowl.  They blocked the air flow that was needed for the higher heat.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg 2011/05/30 15:57:11 (permalink)
    Smaller might make a difference when you're trying to get the high heat for pizza.

That's where I went wrong.  I had left the smaller pieces that hadn't burned in the bottom of the bowl.  They blocked the air flow that was needed for the higher heat.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5143
    Re:Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg 2011/05/30 18:07:40 (permalink)
    Great job, Tom!  All that meat was for only 4 people?

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that he or she wasn't happy with a BGE.  The initial cash outlay can be pretty steep but it's quite the cooker.

Mosca
    ...while I addressed the chicken.

Helloooo, chicken!

Brad
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Ribs & chicken on the Big Green Egg 2011/05/30 22:09:06 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

Great job, Tom!  All that meat was for only 4 people?

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that he or she wasn't happy with a BGE.  The initial cash outlay can be pretty steep but it's quite the cooker.

Mosca
    ...while I addressed the chicken.

Helloooo, chicken!

Brad

Don't forget [ednortonvoice] and [/ednortonvoice]!

Yeah, I took leftovers to work today, they were much appreciated when we work on a holiday. Folks scarfed 'em right down!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1