Rice Ice (nice)

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2007/09/11 21:54:06 (permalink)

Rice Ice (nice)

OK, I'll try again:

Sunday I was in a small hispanic shop in Hoboken, NJ and felt like getting a "Froz-fruit". In their case were some, only a Latino brand. So I picked Arroz Leche, which was similar to an ice I bought in New Mexico. Very delicious: white with rice grains and raisins.

I had expected this in the Southwest, but in Hoboken, the home town of Frank Sinatra???

Who else has tried rice ice? Where?

6 Replies Related Threads

MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5408
    RE: Rice Ice (nice) 2007/09/13 08:05:33 (permalink)
    Never heard of it, but sounds good.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Rice Ice (nice) 2007/09/14 01:16:46 (permalink)
    Actually, its like a frozen rice pudding. Strange that its only a Mexican sort of flavor...
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Rice Ice (nice) 2007/09/14 04:54:06 (permalink)
    Well, nearby in Union City you have the highest population density of Hispanics in the US, as well as the highest number of Cubans allegedly outside of Miami...the Dominican and Puerto Rican community has always been strong in Jersey City, so it would be interesting to see that a Mexican community is growing as well.

And as you know, NYNM, Frank Sinatra would not recognize Hoboken today....rents higher than parts of New York City, lots of young banker/lawyer/professional types who flock to those pricey bars and eateries near the PATH station...

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Rice Ice (nice) 2007/09/14 14:01:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tacchino

And as you know, NYNM, Frank Sinatra would not recognize Hoboken today....rents higher than parts of New York City, lots of young banker/lawyer/professional types who flock to those pricey bars and eateries near the PATH station...

Yes, in fact we hung out at Sinatra Park last weekend which is really beautiful....jutting out into the Hudson River with a fantastic view of Manhattan, nice trees, sculpture, etc. Really Hoboken is so close to NY: a few minutes ride on the PATH train, closer than a lot of NYC places. Visitors out to check it out!

When I was in college, my best friend was from Hoboken. It was quite a bad and run down place then. We went to collge in Brooklyn (St. John's then, now condos)and I lived in Brooklyn myself,m and she got home from classes quicker than I did! She worked at Steven's Institute p/t and we hung out on the campus which is also beautiful, on a hill with fab views of NYC.

Foodwise, I remember the venerable Clam Broth House, now like most else, defunct...

But they do have Arroz Leche in Hoboken!!!
    jettababs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Rice Ice (nice) 2007/09/14 14:10:59 (permalink)
    Sounds delicious, like a frozen, solid version of Horchata. Mmmmm, horchata.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Rice Ice (nice) 2007/09/23 20:51:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jettababs

Sounds delicious, like a frozen, solid version of Horchata. Mmmmm, horchata.

Today in a local supermarket in NYC I got "horchata" yoghurt. Brand=Sobor Latino. They also make paer, guava, dulce de leche, mango, etc. yogurts.
    Of course you could freeze a container. Is this a familiar item (Latino Yogurt) in other parts of US?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1