Rice Pudding

Author
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 686
2004/02/18 13:53:09 (permalink)

Rice Pudding

Hello. This is my first post, so be nice . However, I have been "lurking" around your wonderful discussion boards for a while now, and judging by the nice people in here, that won't be a problem! I looked around in the forums to see if anyone had either a good recipe for rice pudding, or a good place to get it, but did not see much on the subject. If I missed it, please feel free to point me in the right direction. I am looking for the baked, custard type not the creamy kind. I used to get it in this little deli in Ridgefield, NJ - Lucy's - but they have since closed down. Anyone have a suggestion??

19 Replies Related Threads

alesrus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/02/18 14:00:17 (permalink)
    Oh No guys behave that's(aleswench) my wife Welcome Hon.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/02/18 14:16:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by alesrus

Oh No guys behave that's(aleswench) my wife Welcome Hon.

You can run but you can't hide!
    Seriously, I remember growing up eating rice pudding, but it WAS NOT of a custard type, more liquid. I don't recall ever fussing when Mom made it though. Now my kid's NEVER. I have no clue how to make it. Someone here does, surely. There is one recipe at Google(page 1) that sounds like what you may be looking for as it has eggs in it. I don't think Mom's did. You might give it a look.
    Welcome!
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/02/18 14:27:35 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum!

Here is a recipe I have used for years and is a big request from my family. It is from the "Calf Fries to Caviar Cookbook" created by two farm wives from Lamesa, Tx.

Las Vegas Rice Pudding

In a large saucepan combine:
    2 cups milk
    2 cups water
    1/2 cup rice - uncooked
    1/4 tsp salt

Cover and simmer on low heat until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender - about 25 minutes.

Mix together:
    3 eggs, beaten
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Pour into rice mixture. Combine and cook uncovered on low heat for 5 minutes. Pour into casserole and sprinkle with cinammon and bake for 5-10 minutes at 300 degrees.

It is one of the ultimate comfort foods.
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/02/18 14:35:34 (permalink)
    My own rice pudding is simpler. A half-cup of rice, a half-cup of sugar, 3 1/2 cups of milk and half a teaspoon of salt. Put it all in the top of a double-boiler, put water in the bottom half, bring it to a simmer and walk away for about three hours. Sprinkle it with cinnamon when you take it out.

This one from Epicurious.com might be more what you're looking for:

http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=106035&kw=rice+pudding&action=filtersearch&filter=recipe-filter.hts&collection=Recipes&ResultTemplate=recipe-results.hts&queryType=and&keyword=rice+pudding

That's a really long link -- hope it works -- but in case it doesn't, the recipe title is Diner-Style Rice Pudding. You should be able to search that in Epicurious.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18447
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/02/18 14:39:59 (permalink)
    I don't have a recipe for rice pudding, but the kind I remember was a creamy sort of stuff. I didn't like the rice puddings in restaurants and diners owned by Greeks, though. Theirs always had flies in it. Everybody said they were raisins, but I knew they were really flies.
    alesrus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/02/18 15:19:25 (permalink)
    clothier,
    Sure, you can hit on her! But be careful she may hit back!

I'll tell you a secret - the best way to her heart would be by sending her a size 46 double breasted mens Versace' pure wool suit and silk tie. No pinstripes.
    Lone Star
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/02/18 15:22:05 (permalink)
    I thought you were my roadfood boyfriend!
    Lone Star
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/02/18 15:45:02 (permalink)
    Men - just can't trust them.
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/02/18 16:04:41 (permalink)
    Wow! With just one post I got so many "belly laughs"-the flies really got me Thank you all for the suggestions - Lonestar - I am going to start tonight with your recipe. Oh boy - this may be a mistake, my signing up on Roadfood - Clothier, you may have to send 48's instead of 46's!!
    Lone Star
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/02/18 16:07:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

how can I make it up to you?

some lutefisk would be nice.
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/02/18 18:03:24 (permalink)
    Lonestar, please pardon my asking (a doubting thomas already...sorry!) but 4 cups liquid to 1/2 cup rice? really? This coming from a person who left "the sausage" out of a sausage stuffing recipe for a family cookbook.....believe me I know typo's
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6821
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/02/18 18:33:56 (permalink)
    Ah, rice pudding! Those two nasty words never spoken at my parent's house after Mother decided to add nuts to it. She added nuts to everything. Father took one bite.......in the trash, bowl and all.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18447
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/02/18 20:21:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Ah, rice pudding! Those two nasty words never spoken at my parent's house after Mother decided to add nuts to it. She added nuts to everything. Father took one bite.......in the trash, bowl and all.

Your father sounds like my kind of guy.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6821
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/02/18 21:18:24 (permalink)
    My parents are in their late 70's and we STILL laugh about that rice pudding with nuts! Well, my father and I laugh. Mother just shrugs and says it was the best rice pudding she ever made. Ok, Mom.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/02/19 05:32:59 (permalink)
    Well, there are 2 ways to make it...with raw rice or cooked rice. With cooked rice you don't need much liquid and you make it almost exactly like you would a bread pudding.

The best one I've had so far that is made starting out with raw rice is from "the Mafia Cookbook" by Joe Doggs. If my scanner were working, I'd scan it in for you. But the book is well worth having. The Orrechiette with prosciutto is worth the price alone. Not to mention the entertaining anecdotes about whackings and other boyish tomfoolery.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0743226275/inktomi-bkasin-20/ref%3Dnosim/104-4835634-2935943
    Lone Star
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/02/19 10:15:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by aleswench

Lonestar, please pardon my asking (a doubting thomas already...sorry!) but 4 cups liquid to 1/2 cup rice? really? This coming from a person who left "the sausage" out of a sausage stuffing recipe for a family cookbook.....believe me I know typo's

Double checked my cookbook - that is what it says and I have made it many times. Try it!
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/02/19 14:18:09 (permalink)
    Oh "me of little faith" - I did try it last night just like you said, and I apologize - you were completely right! It is awesome! Thank you so much! I can't wait until tonight to have it again (there is just the 2 of us - that's the only reason there were leftovers!)
    JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/03/14 08:13:52 (permalink)
    If I can find it I'll share it, but my Rx used Jasmine rice with the milk, sugar & cinnamon sticks (later pulled out); let that cool while making classic pastry cream; let that cool (firm up in the fridge); fold both together; then fold in fresh Chantilly cream (heavy cream whipped w/ van X and sugar). Even though I usually don't like fruit desserts, sometimes I served it w/ caramelized apples in a martini glass. It's awesome and was very popular at the restaurants where I intorduced it.

Originally this Rx was part of one of my culinary school final projects. We had to pick a restaurant (real or imaginary) and design a 7-item dessert menu that was balanced (in ingredeients, presentations, colors and prices). Everyone made up either French or Italian; being very familiar w/ Mexican food, and therefore somewhat snobby about it, I used an existing Mexican restaurant in Philly. Rice pudding ("arroz con leche") is a classic Mexican dessert (and one of my comfort faves too).

I got an A+ on the project, but then found out that my instuctor shared my menu w/ the chef/owner of that Mexican place (who was a former chef instructor @ the school), and she used some of my ideas on her menu. I know these things can't be copywrited, but GEEZ a little recognition might've been nice!
    katmaan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Rice Pudding 2004/04/04 11:57:46 (permalink)
    Back in 1974, I went to Europe for three months. I had just gotten out of grad school and decided to see the world a little before settling down with a job. Well, the truth is, I didn't have a job so I thought what the H..., lets have some fun.

Well, I ended up in Corfu Greece for a couple weeks, living on the beach. Every other day, I'd take the bus into Corfu City and the first place I'd go was to Jonnie's Pudding Shop. Yes, that's all they had, can you believe it?
    Anyway, they had the best rice pudding I have ever found or made. It was not the baked stuff and it was nothing like the boring pudding you get in our "Greek" Diners. This was rich and creamy and it really was out of this world. I have thought of it many, many times and wonder if Jonnie's is still in business after all these years. I imagine that there is now a Mc Donald's or worse a KFC in the place now.
    Hey, anyone going to Greece soon? Check it out and let me know. You will not regret the trip if it is still there. By the way, for those you who have never been there (Greece) it is fantastic and so is the food. The best places to eat, than at least were the small Mom & Pop places (just like here). They couldn't speak English so we'd just point at what looked good in the kitchen and we were never disappointed. Of course almost everything was cooked in great olive oil so how could it be bad?

Katmaan
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1