Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
2004/03/27 18:57:03 (permalink)

Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders

Looks like PETA has its sights on the Colonel. Billboards in Washington DC neighborhoods feature Richard Pryor urging DC-citizens to boycott KFC. If only this would happen, maybe more mom and pop fried chicken places might spring up in their place.

30 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/04/19 19:56:08 (permalink)
    PETA or no peta, Mom and Pops should spring up anyway! Let the product do the talking!! I know it's a tough business, but word of mouth (and taste) is your best advertising! (Oh, and I guess a drive up window wouldnt hurt either if your not in a rush)...
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15302
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/04/19 21:12:07 (permalink)

I think I might have trouble telling the 2 celeb's apart..If they were both dressed in the white suits and bow ties????
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/04/19 21:22:28 (permalink)
    PETA has a whole KFC cruelty campaign: http://www.kfccruelty.com/.

PETA aside, I think the cruelty is that chickens are sacrificed to make the KFC product. . . .
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/04/21 09:01:54 (permalink)
    Is this Richard Pryor the comedian? If it is, does anyone see some humor in that as both sides are equally fried.

Kodachrome
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/05/01 18:32:47 (permalink)
    PETA is a horrible charity.
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/05/02 09:30:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by renfrew

Is this Richard Pryor the comedian? If it is, does anyone see some humor in that as both sides are equally fried.

Ren:

That is very cruel as well as being technically incorrect. Richard Pryor was ROASTED, not fried.
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/05/02 09:52:40 (permalink)
    He was roasted in the attempt to get fried.
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/05/02 11:04:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cakes

He was roasted in the attempt to get fried.

Cakes:

Truly witty!
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/05/03 14:02:23 (permalink)
    Perhaps he was Broasted?

I am sure that the Broaster people would have something to say about him not buying a license!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/05/03 14:35:25 (permalink)
    Whatever he is ... he burned himself trying to free-base cocaine !!! Now that's a respected spokesperson for your organization (removes tongue from cheek) !!!
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/05/03 15:20:03 (permalink)
    As long as he did not burn himself frying chicken, the Colonel will look the other way. I mean c'mon, a guy wearing an all white suit? There has to be a connection there!" />

Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/05/03 23:43:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Howard Baratz

quote:

Ren:

That is very cruel as well as being technically incorrect. Richard Pryor was ROASTED, not fried.

"When you're on fire, people will get out of your way." (One of the few Richard Pryor quotes I can post without being thrown off the board, in case anyone is interested.)
    Richard was one of my Friday night favorites as a dateless teen, but I guess we've grown apart.
    shanklemsw
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/06/27 08:26:28 (permalink)
    quote:

Yes! When I read that I thought that was why they hired RP!!
    hotdogger
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/06/27 11:33:18 (permalink)
    PETA is a corrupt organization full of hateful liars. The Dalai Lama was tricked by PETA into issuing a statement about KFC and then PETA misrepresented what he said. The Dalai Lama was furious and let people know that PETA is a dishonest group.

I will buy one dozen buckets of KFC fried chicken this week to support their company and I hope PETA withers away into nothing. They truly are a garbage organization.

LONG LIVE THE COLONEL!
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/06/27 12:57:06 (permalink)
    Hey, PETA is a great organization. They keep reminding us that we should not listen to the wackos and radicals. The more press they get the more stupid they look.

Cakes
    ChiliDog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/06/27 16:23:15 (permalink)
    Ooooh Goody, PETA Bashing! Did they pull the stunt with the "Un-Happy Meal" any place outside of California? These so called caring individuals stood outside of McDonald's handing out "Un-Happy Meal" boxes to children. These boxes were decorated with photos of the slaughter of beef. Real nice.
    Hode
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/06/27 19:23:02 (permalink)
    PETA = People Eat Tasty Animals
    stuart406
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/06/27 20:04:31 (permalink)
    PETA is full of wacko's and radical's. As it is we (human's) are the top of the food chain. That's just the way it is. Some of us folks have to much time on our hand's.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/06/27 21:10:18 (permalink)
    quote:

As long as he did not burn himself frying chicken, the Colonel will look the other way. I mean c'mon, a guy wearing an all white suit? There has to be a connection there!" />

Renfrew,
    I'm assuming that you're tongue-in-chicken there. Actually, Col. Harland Sanders was a Kentucky Colonel, not a military one. His first eatery was in Corbin, Kentucky, opened sometime around 1938.
    If I'm not mistaken, he was among the first people in business in his state to promote blacks; one of his earliest franchisees was black and still has several stores in the Louisville area.
    His white linen suit did not have eyeholes, actually or symbolically... but his chicken is nowhere near as good as what I tasted in the original restaurant around 1961 or 1962. C'est dommage. I'll take the fried chicken at Plantation Buffet in Athens over his any old day. That lady KNOWS how to fry a chicken just right. Yum, yum.
    Not Chickening Out, Ort. Carlton in Cluck-Filled Athens, Georgia.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/06/29 13:15:26 (permalink)
    Just becuase we are the top of the food chain does not mean we can trash the rest of it. PETA is ideologically corrupt, but peel away the layers of thier crap and their mission is a good one. Its too bad they choose to promote it in such a bad way.

As for me being tongue in chicken....i just dont have feelings for chickens in that way.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/06/29 13:20:02 (permalink)
    Just wondering, has anyone tried the "Kentucky Kernal(sp?)uh, I guess you'd call it flour?? It comes in a box on the flour/sugar/baking aisle of your grocer. I tried it a few years ago. It was pretty tasty but while I always have flour on hand I choose to use that instead.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/07/13 14:34:15 (permalink)
    renfrew, I'm with you.

I don't think much of PETA, but it doesn't sound appetizing to me to eat meat that's been pumped full of growth hormone and other stimulants. And it bothers me when I hear about animals suffering. That doesn't mean I don't eat a lot of meat, but I try to buy meat from Kosher or organic suppliers when possible, because those animals were treated better and probably have healthier meat.

danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/07/20 10:11:40 (permalink)
    Did anyone see this?

KFC supplier in cruelty furor

Animal rights group video purportedly shows workers at W.Va. plant torturing chickens.
    July 20, 2004: 9:34 AM EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - An animal rights group has released a videotape showing slaughterhouse workers with a KFC Corp. supplier jumping on live chickens and slamming them into walls, apparently for fun.

A video on the PETA Web site shows workers throwing chickens at a Pilgrim's Pride plant in Moorefield, W.Va.
    After KFC officials saw the videotape Monday, surreptitiously shot by an investigator for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), they said they would seek dismissal of the workers, inspect the slaughterhouse more often and end their relationship if the cruelty was repeated, the New York Times reported.

A spokeswoman for KFC, a unit of Louisville, Ky.-based Yum Brands Inc., (YUM: Research, Estimates) was quoted by the newspaper as saying the fast-food chain "wouldn't tolerate the type of behavior in the video."

Pilgrim's Pride Corp., (PPC: Research, Estimates) the owner of the slaughterhouse and the No. 2 U.S. poultry processor, said it was "appalled" by the videotape, the Times said.

The videotape, entitled "KFC's House of Horrors" includes sounds of birds screeching while being thrown against walls and stomped on by workers as loud music blares in the background.

The tape was shot at a Pilgrim's Pride plant in Moorefield, W.Va., according to the PETA web site, where the video is posted. The investigator worked at the plant from October 2003 to May 2004.

Pilgrim's Pride won KFC's "Supplier of the Year" award in 1997, the Times reported.

Representatives from Yum Brands and Pilgrim's Pride were not immediately available to comment on the report.

renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/07/20 11:58:13 (permalink)
    I just saw it..While the company's seem to be saying the right things at least, it makes you wonder how much of this goes on that is not reported. I suspect more than most people would be comfortable with.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/07/21 03:51:14 (permalink)
    I can't say that it makes a difference about how I feel about KFC at all. I'll still eat the occasional meal there when the spirit drives one of the kids for mediocre poultry. My guess is that it's a pretty common practice in the big chicken plants to abuse the birds. Can you imagine how little it would bother you to "mistreat" them if you were stuck doing this for a job? Nope, don't agree with it, but I also don't associate it anymore with KFC than I do with the chicken I intend to barbecue tomorrow night.
    johnnymolson
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/08/17 00:55:07 (permalink)
    PETA are a bunch of kooks....can't even take them seriously.

Now here is are organizations worth supporting:

http://www.ooze.com/pweeta/

http://www.mtd.com/tasty/

http://wave.prohosting.com/antiar/peta1.html

chef joe
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/09/15 15:59:42 (permalink)
    There are so many organizations that get so wrapped up in everything and everyone else's lives it makes you wonder where they get the time and energy to do it. Many years ago I fished in a shark tournament off of Atlantic City, New Jersey on my friend's boat. There was this anti- kill the animals group, I don't remember who they were, but they had quite a few boats and on our way out to sea they were waiting for all the boats that were in the tournament to pass by them. They then began throwing large lead fishing sinkers at our boats and us, it was pretty wild, some windows got broke and dings knocked into the fiberglass. All the Captain's in the tournament were radioing back and forth about what was up. When we approached these nitwits, they launched a barrage of sinkers at us some landed in the boat, they were 8 oz. lead dipsies, none of us got hit, but as they prepared to bomb us again, my buddy's father came on deck with a pump shotgun and opened up firing over their heads non- stop as soon as emptied the gun he did it again and again. If I had a movie camera with me and caught this on tape, I'd probably would have never had to work, it was that funny. They were actually jumping overboard, it was unbelievable, some of them were crying and sobbing. As the tournament went on we heard that they immediatley left the area and went into shore to rat on us to the authorities, but their complaints fell on deaf ears. When we got back to shore they were nowhere in sight and never attacked another fishing tournament that I know of, boy oh boy! did we have a party that night - the constabulary included. Believe it or not we won the tournament with a Mako shark.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/09/21 14:57:32 (permalink)
    okay. funny story and i am sure it did not happen the way you tell it.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Richard Pryor vs. Colonel Sanders 2004/09/22 18:19:06 (permalink)
    Someone else mentioned the organisms that have to die in order to produce a salad, and that's the central point here. We know now that even plants have feelings. If we are to refrain from killing for food any organism that feels pain, then we, and all non-plant life on earth are doomed to die, since only plants do photosynthesis--only plants make food. We feed plants to animals not only because we like the taste of the animals' flesh but also for the large amount of protein in that flesh that's easy to digest.

That's my problem with PETA, along with their habit of throwing paint on people wearing fur coats. That's a property crime. It isn't just PETA, it's all kinds of groups that seek to curtail freedom in America. Donald Wildmon's "Focus on the Family" isn't supporting families, they're trying to take freedom away from gay and lesbian Americans, which is not really so different from what PETA is doing. The minute you see the word "family" in a group's title, beware! Let's not paint all activist groups with the same broad brush, however. Many groups work to bring all Americans together, not drive us apart. Just today in the Des Moines Register I see a US Congressman from there is being criticized for accepting a contribution from the Human Rights Campaign, a PAC to support those who support civil rights for all Americans and fights groups like that "Focus on the Family." The congressman's opponents apparently feel the gay and lesbian community doesn't have a right to take part in politics. Colorado passed a law in the 1990s specifically fobidding gays and lesbians to seek redress for wrongs from their government, and even this US Supreme Court threw that out. It's really easy to differentiate between groups that try to include everyone--and those that try to separate and further divide our country.

As for KFC, it isn't the best fried chicken I've ever had, but it's usually quite good. PETA will never be invited to my home for veal birds--Uccelleti Scappati.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1