Rickey - The DC Cocktail

Author
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
2008/08/12 14:47:25 (permalink)

Rickey - The DC Cocktail

What do you want your epitaph to read? What will be the one thing you leave behind for generations to remember? Will it be your heroism, your unwaivering convictions, your ability to lead others...or will it be the drink you drank at the local pub when unwinding from a long day?

Well, that's the case for one ex-Colonel, who is widely remembered for his own drink concoction and who is once again the "toast" of the town in Washington, DC.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/05/AR2008080501062.html

9 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15175
    RE: Rickey - The DC Cocktail 2008/08/12 15:02:07 (permalink)
    I don't think I will carve the recipe on a headstone, but...

I think that's why I enjoy those big Cherry Limeades from Sonic. I never have been a Gin-Drinker, ( that is the only 'Real Rickey' I have ever seen) so the Cherry-Light,Lime-Heavy soda beverage has always been a good substitute for me.

I guess having a drink named after you is a good way to leave a memory or two.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Rickey - The DC Cocktail 2008/08/12 15:09:48 (permalink)
    I have my own drink that the bartender at Mr. Henry's on Capitol Hill makes me: Highball glass, fill with ice, 1 jigger Gin, 2-3 jiggers Ginger Ale, and a few dashes of Agnostura Bitters. I prefer diet ginger ale version I make at home, it's not as sugary/syrupy, but a couple people at the bar have actually ordered my drink and liked it. Who knows, maybe I call it The Score Reader.

Anyone else have their own personal original cocktail?
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Rickey - The DC Cocktail 2008/08/12 21:42:46 (permalink)
    I salute the memory of Joe Rickey, and his Bourbon Rickey. But he never invented the "Rickey". He was served the Gin Rickey by a Washington bartender (c 1889) and he liked it so much that the bartender named it after him. (Like the Ritz hotel in Paris named the Breton Mussel Soup after William Bennet - Billi Bi - because he liked it so much). Col Rickey, being from the South, preferred Bourbon, so at some subsequent time he apparently drank Bourbon Rickeys and insisted, rightly so, i think, that a Rickey is made from Bourbon and no other form of alcohol. After all, if the drink carrrys his name it should, by rights, be made according to his preference.

Personally, I'll stick with Gin Rickeys and leave the aged Bourbon for blissful sipping in any weather...

As to those distasteful concoctions listed in the Post article: please call them by some other name and leave poor Col. Rckey's name unsullied for the ages.

And tomorrow afternoon I'll be sure to mix up a "Scorereader" and drink his health even though I'm not too sure about that diet Ginger Ale (I'm quite sure that particular item has never made an appearance in our house)...

Cheers, John
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Rickey - The DC Cocktail 2008/08/15 10:39:29 (permalink)
    you can use the real ginger ale, John. The diet version I make at home isn't for helping my figure, it's to keep my sugar intake low.
    Cheers!
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Rickey - The DC Cocktail 2008/08/15 12:04:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

I have my own drink that the bartender at Mr. Henry's on Capitol Hill makes me: Highball glass, fill with ice, 1 jigger Gin, 2-3 jiggers Ginger Ale, and a few dashes of Agnostura Bitters. I prefer diet ginger ale version I make at home, it's not as sugary/syrupy, but a couple people at the bar have actually ordered my drink and liked it. Who knows, maybe I call it The Score Reader.

Anyone else have their own personal original coctail?

Don't have a personal cocktail, but your's has everything I like - I'll take a Score Reader, and make it a double!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Rickey - The DC Cocktail 2008/08/15 16:08:50 (permalink)
    Tried it the other afternoon - a too humid day - and it was refreshing, but I'll stick with gin and tonic or even a Rickey on a hot day.
    Congratulations on having your own drink that the bartender knows to be aready mixing when he sees you come thru the door

Cheers, John
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 842
    RE: Rickey - The DC Cocktail 2008/09/14 18:19:42 (permalink)
    I tried the gin and ginger today, both ways, with diet and regular ginger ale. I like to be scientific. The diet product produced a slightly drier drink, and, to my taste, better. next experiment will involve Peychauds bitters
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Rickey - The DC Cocktail 2008/09/15 08:22:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Phildelmar

I tried the gin and ginger today, both ways, with diet and regular ginger ale. I like to be scientific. The diet product produced a slightly drier drink, and, to my taste, better. next experiment will involve Peychauds bitters

I agree with the "drier" comment.

looking forward to reading about the use of peychaud bitters.
    Maybe a hint sweeter?

I've also used orange bitters, at home, which I really like as well.
    I always garnish my drink my an orange wedge, and I often squeeze the small amount of juice in the wedge into the drink.
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 842
    RE: Rickey - The DC Cocktail 2008/09/15 21:18:05 (permalink)
    Will try the orange bitters and the orange garnish. This is all a departure for me, in that I have always tended toward drier forms of gin consumption, as in Alan King's gin, soda and twist, or Travis Mcgee's coating the glass with dry sherry, emptying it, filling with cracked ice, then pouring in the gin, preferably Plymouth
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1