Road Trip - Cool Old Vintage Places - Philadelphia to Austin TX (RT)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 522
Re:Road Trip - Cool Old Vintage Places - Philadelphia to Austin TX (RT) 2011/02/07 13:02:16 (permalink)
I've found Littleman's lists to be quite helpful but his suggestion of JCS is a miss. So it gets pointed out and we forget about it. No need to get all bent out of shape.

DT
mbrookes
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1355
Re:Road Trip - Cool Old Vintage Places - Philadelphia to Austin TX (RT) 2011/02/07 13:25:51 (permalink)
Mod Betty, I love your attitude and agree completely.
If you are near Jackson, MS, go to the Mayflower, downtown on Capitol St. It is a little more upscale than many of the other places mentioned, but the fish is some of the best anywhere. The've been there since the depression, so they must be doing something right! If you are there for lunch, ask for mystery fish. It is not on the menu, but it is the trimmed parts from the fresh fish for dinner. Can't be beat. Also get a salad  with their Kumbak dressing. I promise you have never had anything like it.
Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap.com
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
Re:Road Trip - Cool Old Vintage Places - Philadelphia to Austin TX (RT) 2011/02/07 13:46:02 (permalink)
oooh! as luck would have it we are planning on going through Jackson - the Mayflower looks like it totally fits the bill - thanks so much for that suggestion!!
smokestack lightning
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 301
Re:Road Trip - Cool Old Vintage Places - Philadelphia to Austin TX (RT) 2011/02/07 14:26:24 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

So if I understand you correctly - the desire to find high quality roadfood is an 'old and tired attitude'.

I suppose this website has indeed run its course then.  We are all tired of finding the best eats, and there is no more need for this website or this forum.  Its been nice knowing you all, but you know, SSL says we're all old and tired.

Littleman, I'll need to get lunch today - can you direct me to the nearest Joe's Crab Shack or TJ McCrapplebees or it's nearest equivalent?

No you don't understand correctly. teh desire to find high quality roadfood is not old and tired attitude. the desire to put down someone trying to provide advice because you don't like his lists is what is old and tired.

He has provided many great suggestions. You have no way to know whether people prefer a few good suggestions or many suggestions. That's just a personal preference. Now forget it.
smokestack lightning
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 301
Re:Road Trip - Cool Old Vintage Places - Philadelphia to Austin TX (RT) 2011/02/07 14:26:58 (permalink)
Davwud

I've found Littleman's lists to be quite helpful but his suggestion of JCS is a miss. So it gets pointed out and we forget about it. No need to get all bent out of shape.

DT

Yes!
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1049
Re:Road Trip - Cool Old Vintage Places - Philadelphia to Austin TX (RT) 2011/02/07 16:24:38 (permalink)
In response to the question earlier in this thread, I believe the ownership of the Whistle Stop in Glendale, KY changed in 2008 or thereabouts.  As I said, we loved the Whistle Stop in its original incarnation.  Superb hot browns, and you could order a half order (which was more than enough), and they brought your iced tea or soft drinks in "bottomless" carafes.

The online reviews after the ownership change are mixed, so I suspect different people have different experiences there.  I know the new owners opened a branch in Elizabethtown some years ago, which was basically a storefront in a shopping center.  I don't know whether it is still there, but we visited it for lunch when we were going to the Coca-Cola Museum, and we were very disappointed in the food, with the exception of the brown sugar cream pie, which was still very good.  

As for Littleman's listings, I've always been struck by how comprehensive they are, but I am curious as to whether he's actually visited them all, or whether he's gathering them from online -- which is useful, but not quite the same as an endorsement from someone who has eaten there, especially recently.  For example, Mrs. Rowe's in Staunton, VA, is unfortunately a shadow of its former self today, though it was once a great Roadfood destination with terrific biscuits at breakfast and fine pan-fried chicken, yeast rolls and pies at lunch and dinner.   
post edited by rumaki - 2011/02/07 16:26:02
Junior Burger
Re:Road Trip - Cool Old Vintage Places - Philadelphia to Austin TX (RT) 2011/02/17 13:52:08 (permalink)
I've been adding many of the places suggested above to our map, but that now begs the question - what regional fare should I make sure to order in each of these states? I just read about fried bologna sandwiches in Ohio, and I assume I should get some ribs in Memphis, and hope I can fit a Hot Brown in, but since I have limited stomach real estate I want to make sure I don't fill up on something generic when I could be experiencing, literally, the flavor of the region!
mcguirejohnr
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 111
Re:Road Trip - Cool Old Vintage Places - Philadelphia to Austin TX (RT) 2011/02/18 12:07:35 (permalink)
If I come anywhere close to Austin, TX I am headed back to Louie Muellers in Tayor, TX for a beef rib...one of the best of my life.  The pork ribs at City Market in Luling, TX were especially noteworthy was well.
Junior Burger
Re:Road Trip - Cool Old Vintage Places - Philadelphia to Austin TX (RT) 2011/02/18 12:18:13 (permalink)
John - thanks for the tips! Just added the pins to the map!
deanaossenfo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Road Trip - Cool Old Vintage Places - Philadelphia to Austin TX (RT) 2011/02/24 21:56:20 (permalink)
I am so glad that there is a thread like this, discussing and giving tips about foods.  I love it.
Junior Burger
Re:Road Trip - Cool Old Vintage Places - Philadelphia to Austin TX (RT) 2011/03/24 12:27:15 (permalink)
We just got home late last night from our big retro roadtrip down to Austin and back, and I wanted to send a big Thank You to everyone who chimed in with suggestions on where to eat. As I look at my less than inspiring sandwich from the corporate cafeteria I am reminded of all the wonderful meals we had in the past 2 weeks. It will take a bit of time but I will definitely be posting photos and addresses of where we ate and what we had!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:Road Trip - Cool Old Vintage Places - Philadelphia to Austin TX (RT) 2011/03/26 02:36:24 (permalink)
Looking forward to your report.
Junior Burger
Re:Road Trip - Cool Old Vintage Places - Philadelphia to Austin TX (RT) 2011/03/28 21:10:50 (permalink)
Real quick question so I do things right - should I post the photos, reviews of our meals on this thread or break it out under the Trip Reports section?

Also, since we visited so many states, should I keep all of the places under one thread or break them out by state?

Just want to make sure I do the right thing - thanks in advance!

PS - you'll get a chuckle out of this, I bet - last night we went out for food here at home and without even thinking, I pulled my camera out to photograph my bowl of soup! Guess it became second nature being on the road for so long :-)

Junior Burger
Re:Road Trip - Cool Old Vintage Places - Philadelphia to Austin TX (RT) 2012/03/15 22:19:44 (permalink)
I realize it's a year ago since I created this thread and the thread requesting information about places for us to stop and eat along the way on our trip to Austin TX from PA and back, and I never made good on my promise to update everyone on the places we went! I had a hard enough time corralling all of that information on my website RetroRoadmap.com, and had hoped to link to some of those posts and photos to prevent having to create brand new content, but I couldn't do that, so I got discouraged.

I did however want to return to Roadfood to thank everyone who made suggestions on where to eat- we had some delish meals practically everywhere we went! I know this isn't what I had hoped to provide, but here's at least a list of most of of the places and stuff we ate when we were on this journey!

• Texas Tavern - Roanoke VA - Late Night Cheesies and Bowls
  • Tony's Ice Cream - Gastonia NC - Got breakfast sandwiches but should've got ice cream too!
  • Blenheim Ginger Ale and Peach Cider in South Carolina
  • Mary Mac's Tea Room - Atlanta GA - Fried Chicken and Biscuits
  • The Silver Skillet - Atlanta GA - Country Ham & The Best Biscuits Ever!
  • Goal Post BBQ - Anniston AL - BBQ and Delish Lemon Ice Box Pie - I still crave it!
  • La Place Frostop - La Place LA - Burgers and Iced Root Beer in Glass Mugs - nom!
  • Kolaches on the road in Texas - who knew?
  • Hut's Hamburgers - Austin TX  - hamburgers, of course!
  • Whataburger - Austin TX  - More burgers but worth it
  • Arcade Restaurant - Memphis TN - Breakfast
  • Central BBQ - Memphis TN - then drove all the way to Nashville - yikes!
  • Northgate Soda Shop - Greenville SC - Best Pimento Cheeseburger ever
  • Theo's Drive In - Grand Prairie TX - More Burgers but So Good!
  • Tasty Dip - Heflin AL - A sweet treat for leaving the interstate!
  • Mayflower Cafe - Jackson MS - Delish Fish & Kumbak Dressing
  • The Dot Coffee Shop - Houston TX - TX sized portions
  • Gus' Fried Chicken - Memphis TN - we drove 11 hours to eat here - worth it!
  • Cincinnati 5 Way- in Cincy!
  • Hot Brown Sandwich at the Brown Hotel Louisville, KY
  • Aglamesis Brothers  - Cincinnati OH - Wonderful Vintage Ice Cream Parlor
  • Gigantic Sandwich at Primanti Brothers - Pittsburgh PA
  • Not Retro Roadmap worthy but the best Tex Mex ever at Polvo's Austin, TX

If you're interested in learning more about any of these places - please let me know! I'd be glad to elaborate! And I really want to get back into the habit of posting my Retro Roadmap worthy food places here too, since I've been helped so much by the folks and the information here.

Thanks!

Mod Betty 

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1