Hot!Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added)

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/11 02:09:15 (permalink)
I looked at the Corned Beef and Co. website, and it looks like they are not just about corned beef, that's for sure! It seems more like a regualar restaurant with a catchy "corned beef" name. It's not quite a Katzs', but it is a little of everything; bands playing at night, pizzas, salads, steaks, etc... the corned beef flashed by real quick in the pic, but it looked like that thinly sliced, goyish style...(not my type, anyway) (but it looks like the place is a real nice fit for that downtown historical section of Roanake..

keep the pics coming, you're on a roll now!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/11 03:06:32 (permalink)
Last installment for the night...

Day Four - Monday, December 31 - Christiansburg, VA to Philadelphia, PA

One of the few days when I thought I would get an early start, and then actually did.

Remember, I am still getting a handle on my new camera, but I tried to get the sunrise coming up over the Blue Ridge Mountains - and the chill in the air.

The "other" Roadfood mantra is definitely include pictures of dogs in various trip reports. The dogs wouldn't sit still by themselves, so you also get my pal, Nathan, in the shot. The rotty is one huge, sloppy, friendly beast. We played catch for a little bit in the morning, and I am pretty sure that his paws were about the same size as my hands.

I got a head start on the road, and my first planned stop was in Natural Bridge, Virginia. Not for food...nope. To visit...

Yes, a Styrofoam replica of the original Stonehenge. Special thanks to Tony Bad for pointing me in this direction!

Can I just tell you how bummed I was that there was no gift shop there?

Unfortunately, this was about as close as I could get - because, well, it was closed. At least there was a lock on the driveway that leads up to the structures. I guess I could have trudged through wet terrain to get up top, but it didn't seem worth it - and it seemed as though visitors, on this day, were not encouraged.

Of course.

I plugged further up the road, with a lunch stop planned in Staunton, Virginia. Wright's Dairy-Rite has been[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=504']reviewed on this site[/url].

[url='http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2264/2257124428_a2bb05eb5b_b.jpg']Hi-Res version of the menu[/url]

Double burger, onion rings, and a chocolate shake. The lemonade was really just for the drive. With that size beverage, I should be able to take regular breaks! The burger was good - not exceptional - but a good quick service burger. The shake was very good - and the ambiance makes the place a clear winner. I will admit, I was unsure if or how to tip the carhop?

I found the onion rings to be stellar. There is a place that I frequent at home that makes excellent fresh cut fries, and everyone in my office marvels that they really taste like potatoes. In this case, these really do taste like real onions!

I made my way back out on the road and made a break towards Middletown, Virginia, and the Route 11 Potato Chip Factory (and store). My plan was to load up on some of the more unique flavors offered by [url='http://www.rt11.com/']Route 11[/url] to bring home for my friends.

Unfortunately, the folks at Route 11 had other plans. See, I know you all think that this is a joke - but, they were closed.

Note the hours. I checked. I didn't call...but, I checked to see if they were scheduled to be open. Ugh. Oh well...this wasn't out of the way (much) and it wasn't too much of a slow-down.

With my final Virginia stop out of the way, I safely barreled into snow-covered Pennsylvania, on my way east towards Philadelphia. I arrived just in time to hit Philly rush hour square on, and since the person I was staying with lives in South Philly, it pretty much meant me driving right through the ugliness. Still, I managed to make my friend's house right before 6 pm.

The one advantage to my friend's location is that I could park my car and not deal with it again until departure. Being New Year's Eve, it never occurred to me that making dinner reservations was a must do. Fortunately, my friend thought to do so. She picked the legendary Ralph's Italian Restaurant [url='http://www.ralphsrestaurant.com/'](web site)[/url] on 9th Street in South Philly.

Ralph's is a very popular place - such that I was told we were pretty lucky to get a reservation at the last minute for New Year's Eve. I can see why. When she mentioned to a few of her friends that this is where she chose for dinner, there seemed to be the familiar semi-groan of the understanding that some things are done out of obligation - "ahh...had to take the out-of-towner to Ralph's?" Well, I know good Italian food - and this is incredibly good Italian food. Is there a better place in town? Beats me - but, this is a solid choice.

I went off the menu for one of their specials for the evening - veal and scallops with artichoke hearts in a light white sauce. The meal was accompanied by some wonderful bread, which I believe comes from the famous Sarcone's Bakery, which is located next door. I also ordered a (not pictured) bowl of escarole soup - earning points for the Jew who knew that it was pronounced "SKA-role" with the
'r' rolled for perfect effect.

Equally as impressive was the lasagna, drowned in old fashioned red sauce. This provided two full meals, and didn't break the bank. The service was brusque and the place was crammed with tables, as one might expect for this busy night. Neither detracted from the enjoyment of the evening.

Unfortunately, the meal at Ralph's was the highlight of my New Year's Eve. I spent the rest of the evening hopping between a bunch of bars and parties, which ranged from awful to terrible. The bars were overwhelmingly smoky - something this Florida boy has gotten used to avoiding. At one of the parties, I was easily the oldest person in the room by 10+ years, with the exception of my friend - who ditched me to help out in the kitchen. I was left to fend for myself with the Wii playing crowd. I ended 2007 with a phone call back home to the girl that I am seeing while standing outside freezing my arse off.

In all reality, it was the perfect crappy ending to a perfectly crappy year. 2008 better get better - or they'll need to start taking the sharp objects out of my kitchen.

Next installment...the New Year begins with a parade!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/11 03:23:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

Damn, those photos are so old I half expected to see them in sepia tones.

This coming from the man who took how long to post his report to[url='http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24758']Gay Paree[/url]? And, what decade did your trip to [url='http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25036']Chicago[/url] take place in?

Ahhh...seriously, I am just glad that you were able to dupe the parole officer into letting you out of town for a couple of days.

@ Baah Ben - You do know that this trip took place a month ago, right? I live south of Daytona, but make it up to Jacksonville infrequently enough.

@ ellen and cecif - I hope you all won't be disappointed that I didn't make some stuff on the back-end of this trip. If I made an attempt at The Crab Shack, I would have been late for basketball on the way back into Florida. Myrtle Beach also got punted, in favor of a few extra hours of sleep. Thanks for the kind words. Oh, and Corned Beef and Co. probably wouldn't make it as a corned beef place in NYC, but it was a solid attempt from Nathan to keep us from eating at an Applebee's! Besides, it looks like they have a pool table and darts. I'm willing to cut some slack on the corned beef if I can shoot some pool or play darts, too!

@ buffetbuster - You would have to stay home every weekend for three years and I would have to travel most of them for me to even make a dent in your travel superiority! You are an inspiration to all who follow a love of food and travel (and baseball, too!). Sorry you are unable to attend the festivities in Mobile.
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/11 07:53:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

This coming from the man who took how long to post his report to[url='http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24758']Gay Paree[/url]? And, what decade did your trip to [url='http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25036']Chicago[/url] take place in?

Thank you for thoroughly acquiescing to my ulterior efforts of having some
naive poster unknowlingly provide hyperlinks to [url='http://www.monmouth.com/~hgreen/crow/sounds/laugh.wav
']MY[/url]
trip reports.

BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10424
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/11 07:58:56 (permalink)
TTM-
Sorry to be laughing at your misery, but this entire trip is like something out of Planes, Trains & Automobiles! Please tell me that things got better for you.....

Love the fact you had a piece of chocolate cake during breakfast!
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/11 08:31:35 (permalink)
I wish I had seen this post earlier. There are plenty of great places to eat at in the Albany, GA area.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/11 08:37:09 (permalink)
Thanks. The report was worth waiting for.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/11 09:02:31 (permalink)
TTM, I am really glad you enjoyed Parkers and that Mr. Parker is doing well, he is a very nice gentleman. When I was on the road I went through there every five weeks and always timed it to be there at lunchtime, it's a gem in a small GA town. Looks like he has really spiffed the place up some. Thanks for the report.

BTW - Are you at FIT?
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/11 09:27:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

I wish I had seen this post earlier. There are plenty of great places to eat at in the Albany, GA area.

Ok, name them!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/11 10:32:47 (permalink)
Late but worth it. If I am ever in South Carolina on a Sunday, I will try to make sure I can visit Tara.
sammur
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/11 11:20:17 (permalink)
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Adjudicator,
Please give us some recs.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/11 11:37:26 (permalink)
JTM - I see very recent dates on this last set of posts but I remember seeing the pics and entries from a while back.

Is this a re-post?

No offense intended, just confused here.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/11 12:28:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

JTM - I see very recent dates on this last set of posts but I remember seeing the pics and entries from a while back.

Is this a re-post?

No offense intended, just confused here.

I think you are having deja vu all over again.

The only picture that I believe that I have repeated so far, is the one from Bar-b-q King in Charlotte of the empty, rainy, closed restaurant - on another discussion board. I thought I may have posted the Foamhenge photos, but I can't find them anywhere else that I posted.

As for the rest, you can see for yourself here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/81181002@N00/

That is my entire flickr account - and it lists the date that the photos were uploaded. It also lists the dates that the photos were taken, but those dates aren't quite accurate with my old camera (bad clock setting). I can only tell you that I have not edited the dates - what you see is when things happened. I uploaded the last of the photos from this trip at oh-dark-thirty this morning, so they are still raw. Many of them haven't been included in the trip report, so far.

@ buffetbuster - There is still much goodness to be had in this thread. It was just a crappy New Year's Eve and some places were closed. Feh...it is what it is. One highlight upcoming is the single best breakfast I may ever have eaten.

The radio industry would call that a tease!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15304
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/11 12:52:19 (permalink)
Have No Fear,TTM, We have a Door-Prize picked-out just for you! It is bound to brighten your new Year! And it is NOT Moonlite BBQ Burgoo! See you in a few days!
i95
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/11 13:11:27 (permalink)
quote:

As for the rest, you can see for yourself here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/81181002@N00/

Seeing that[url='http://www.flickr.com/photos/81181002@N00/2164770943/in/set-72157603885754051/']exterior shot[/url] of G&M Restaurant in Baltimore on said flickr site -- and knowing that you didn't get a shot of signman and I when we met you there last month -- I thought I would pass along [url='http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/techchron/2006/06/22/Wikipedia_Carlson_twins_June_2006256x300.jpg']this[/url] photo of the two of us.

Man, I gotta work-out more.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4636
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/11 15:22:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:

Seeing that[url='http://www.flickr.com/photos/81181002@N00/2164770943/in/set-72157603885754051/']exterior shot[/url] of G&M Restaurant in Baltimore on said flickr site -- and knowing that you didn't get a shot of signman and I when we met you there last month -- I thought I would pass along [url='http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/techchron/2006/06/22/Wikipedia_Carlson_twins_June_2006256x300.jpg']this[/url] photo of the two of us.

Man, I gotta work-out more.

Sure, Mrs Clemens.
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/11 15:28:26 (permalink)
quote:

@ ellen and cecif - I hope you all won't be disappointed that I didn't make some stuff on the back-end of this trip. If I made an attempt at The Crab Shack, I would have been late for basketball on the way back into Florida.

Mmmmmmm, a man who chooses hoops over food might be a Great Man in my book. Depends on what kind (of both?!?!) though...

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/13 01:29:02 (permalink)
Day Five - Tuesday, January 1 - Philadelphia, PA

I get nostalgic for my New Year's Day adventures whenever I watch Parking Wars on A&E. If I didn't have the true South Philly experience, I guess I will never. My friend lives no more than two blocks from the famous corner of Ninth and Passyunk. So, despite my pleas to hit Tony Luke's, Steve's Prince of Steaks, or Jim's Steaks for my phirst Philly, my host would hear nothing of any choices besides Geno's or Pat's King of Steaks. Ugh. Pretty much everything I have read said that these places, above all others, were where the tourists eat - not the locals. Still, trying to be a good guest, I went along...

...and found myself here. [url='http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2379/2256846383_66525f3b03_b.jpg']Hi-Res shot[/url] of one of the best pictures I have taken with my new camera!

We actually ate around lunch time, but I went back at night to get the picture of Geno's [url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=420&RefID=420'] Roadfood.com review[/url]. Honestly, with the grey sky background, the daytime shots were incredibly bland. Come to think of it...

...so was the cheese steak. Honestly, if this is legendary, I can do without legendary. I can also do without having themed patriotism shoved down my throat. The Ventos clearly have a following - and they play to their crowd. Also, my gut says that any place that has been around as long as they have can't possibly be all that bad. Unfortunately, my gut can sometimes be wrong. I just don't get it - for $7, I was underwhelmed.

I thought that I might go across the street to Pat's, but I just didn't figure that I would be any more impressed. Besides, I was holding out hope that I could talk my friend in to Tony Luke's for dinner. I did get one more night shot of Geno's - which, almost makes her housing location worthwhile!

I admit it - I am an unending fan of neon!

The plan for the day was to attend South Philadelphia's famous New Year's event, the [url='http://mummers.com/']Mummer's Parade[/url]. I had no idea what to expect, other than the little bit that I have read on the Internet. The part that I didn't understand was the marathon-like nature of this event. Folks are up early (on New Year's Day, of all things!) and out and about. Inclement weather delayed the start of the parade, which gave some extra time for drinking.

The weather turned out to be great once the afternoon started. I wish I knew the city better to describe where all I went - from one side of town to another, for sure. I took the subway, and I remember being at the corner of Oregon and Broad, at one point. We spent part of the day party-hopping and hanging around not being able to see much! What I saw of the parade seemed pretty fun, though...and I wish we were able to stick it out long enough to see more of the string bands.

Unfortunately, it was just a draining kind of a day, and we ended up watching a good portion on television. Before making it back to TV, we decided to go grab some dinner. Tony Luke's would have required a drive, so I was talked out of that (parking would have been a serious issue, I am told), and my friend wanted to show me some of her neighborhood's international flavor. She told me about her favorite Thai-Laotian place, Cafe de Laos (I cannot say exactly where - but, it was a definite Asian flavored neighborhood).

Unfortunately, you can see this sign in the window...

Riiiiiiiiight.

We walked across the street to another place that was "almost as good" - I think the name was Phong Viet, but that may not be quite right. Things were promising when we walked in - there was a good amount of non-white folks in there. I found the food a little bland - and, honestly, not even photo-worthy. I really do give my friend points for trying - she wanted to show off her side of town - and maybe the timing wasn't quite right to hit some more of the places that I would have enjoyed - but, still, it was a great stop - and I can't wait to head back to Philadelphia again soon.

When I went back to get the photos at Geno's, I found the restaurant I am dying to hit if I am ever in town with wanderingjew!

I mean...nothing says Philly like a great Mexican place!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/13 01:59:57 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
I'll post more when the library isn't clo
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/13 02:04:13 (permalink)
Day Six - Wednesday, January 2 - Philadelphia, PA to Baltimore to Richmond, VA

Well, after a few days of not driving, I was actually looking forward to getting back behind the wheel. This was the date of the great Baltimore G&M Restaurant/Faidley's crab cake smack-down. But, prior to departure, I wanted to wander around my friend's South Philly neighborhood a little more. I knew that I could walk to the Italian Market, I wanted an authentic Philly pretzel, etc. Besides, seeing as how I was meeting some other Roadfooders, I figured I would call and ask if they were set for any "provisions."

My first stop, based, in part, on[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12745&SearchTerms=philadelphia,pretzel']this thread[/url], I set out to find Federal Pretzel Bakery. Realizing that I was only a few blocks away, and that all of the pretzel bakers are usually up at the crack, this seemed like a really good place to start my morning.

Can you see that sign right there on the door? I could before I even walked up...

Naturally. I thought my TRIP was a special event, but, apparently, these folks felt otherwise.

Murals are a big thing in Philadelphia (I see them all the time while watching the previously mentioned Parking Wars). These are located in the Italian Market area on 9th Street.

I thought maybe I could hit DiBruno's?

Nahh...you can see the sign in the door, can't you?

No problem...I'll just shoot up to Sarcone's Bakery...

Ummmmm....you can't see a closed sign, but the neon sign in the window is not lit.

I really wanted an egg sandwich for breakfast...and one of these places just HAD to be open!

Not Sarcone's Deli, of course - but SOME PLACE has to be open, no?

Actually, I was (eventually) told that many in South Philly do treat January 2 as an extra holiday, given the amount of revelry on New Year's Day. Unfortunately, I didn't know that...and I wasn't sticking around until the following day.

I made contact with signman, who gave me a short shopping list. I was only hoping that I would be able to fill it, as no place seemed to be OPEN! Fortunately, he was able to solve my pretzel craving by navigating me here (can you see the sign in the window????):

Center City Pretzel Company was most definitely open and operating. They also offer one of the least expensive Roadfood delights - the Philly soft pretzel. These babies are a quarter apiece when you buy four at a time. I picked up enough to share down in Baltimore. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture until I got to G&M.

The first one that I ate was while walking down the street - warm from the bag! If I lived in the same proximity to this place as my friend, I would be eating these bad boys every day. I also wouldn't be able to fit my backside into a horse trailer, but that's a separate story.

Also, I don't know where the stories of Philadelphia rudeness comes from, but I encountered none of it. Of course, I wasn't dressed in a Santa suit.

Seriously, no one snapped at me when I ordered at Geno's. I didn't get into a street fight at the Mummer's parade, and the guy at Center City was kind enough to offer me directions to my next stop...

Which is coming up in the next post!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/13 03:09:42 (permalink)
Day Six - Wednesday, January 2 - Philadelphia, PA to Baltimore to Richmond, VA (continued)

signman sent me on a mission to pick him up a couple of Italian hoagies from a place called Cosmi's Deli. This is a favorite of the Philadelphia-based Eating Team[url='http://eatingteam.net/hoagies/hoagies.htm']Eating Team's hoagie rankings[/url].

I followed someone else in, so I figured I found an open gold mine! When I walked up to place my order, I was greeted by the owner (he seemed to be the owner - and talked like the owner) who told me that he was happy to help me - but, they didn't really open for another 20 minutes. Of course.

While he delegated the making of the subs, the guy I chatted with was exceptionally friendly, and we talked a lot about Philadelphia neighborhoods, my travel plans, and the state of the world. I am confident that my friend with whom I stayed doesn't even know this place exists - and she lives about seven blocks away.

I had already eaten one of my pretzels, but I felt a lot better about my selection when I saw this:

Apparently, the different pretzel bakeries all sell their wares around town.

signman suggested that Cosmi's makes the best steak in town (perhaps also a determination of the Eating Team?). I just couldn't see myself ordering and eating a cheese steak before 10 am. In my estimation, cheese steaks also are not likely to travel well for later consumption. So, I ordered the Italians for signman, and got myself the egg sandwich I was initially in search of.

My understanding is that Cosmi's uses Sarcone's bread for their sandwiches. While I was there, I saw someone delivering bread, but I didn't see who it was. It seemed odd that Sarcone's would be closed, but they would seem to need to deliver to their corporate accounts, no? Either way, the bread on this sandwich was significantly better than anything I can get in Florida.

Temrini Pastries is located practically right next door to Cosmi's, and signman suggested that it might be worth a stop. I am sure that I don't need to tell you - it was closed.

At the corner of my friend's block, Carman's Country Kitchen, a stop that she recommended for my breakfast was - well, closed. But, I still took a picture anyway because I liked this sign. For all those who support the views espoused by the gang at Geno's, there is someone else willing to spend their cash. Geno's may feel that the cash spent by non-English speakers isn't welcome, but, many businesses in the area don't feel the same way.

The Official Behind the Steering Wheel Driving and Eating Shot

Seriously good driving-while-eating food, and didn't slow me down one bit for my meet-up in Baltimore.

One of the A-#1 prime highlights of the trip was being able to meet up with signman and to finally meet i95 at G&M Restaurant. I already detailed that trip [url='http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24323']here[/url]. I won't re-hash again, except to say that the crab cake sandwich at G&M for lunch is a HUGE deal - ~$12, with fries and bread. Our visit with i95 was way too short, as he is apparently not able to lead the life of leisure that signman and myself can! Hopefully, it will not take years to do a repeat.

signman was able to spend a bit more time showing me around Baltimore - in particular, a visit to Lexington Market [url='http://www.lexingtonmarket.com/'](web site)[/url].

I couldn't get a clean shot of the sign with no street lights, trees, or power lines, so I just went for the "artsy" photo!

Lexington Market isn't quite on the same level as Reading Terminal Market, which you may have noticed I missed on this trip! Still, there is a plethora of food choices there - catering to the racially and socio-economically mixed crowd that frequents the Market.

I picked up some peanuts for the drive from Konstant Peanuts. In the foreground is one of their roasters, as all of their peanuts are roasted on premises.

This place had some fabulous looking turkey and fixin's. They were pulling one of the birds right out of the roaster and carving while I was there, but the pictures just didn't turn out (not real good with low light situations on the new camera yet!).

One of the places that signman really encouraged me to stop was Berger's Bakery, where they make homemade cakes, cookies, and pastries.

signman encouraged me to try their namesake cookies - which had to be an incredible deal at $4.29/lb.

These are cakey cookies with a thick layer of almost fudge-like chocolate on top. I would say that they are kind of like black-and-white cookies, without the white, but the chocolate is significantly thicker and richer tasting than on anything you would find on a black-and-white. I purchased a one-pound box to take back to the office and another one-pounder to eat on the way. To give you an idea of this cookie - there are only maybe 8 or 9 in a pound - they have some heft.

On the way back to my car, signman, knowing my penchant for all things baseball, drove me past the Babe Ruth Museum [url='http://www.baberuthmuseum.com/'](web site)[/url]. The folks there were friendly, but you can't get past the gift shop without plunking down some coin. The Babe is great - but, I will pay money for the National Baseball Hall of Fame - but not the Babe Ruth Museum. I was able to snap this, though...

That's all for today. The next segment will include the drive to Richmond and me getting yelled at - I mean reamed - by a restaurant employee for taking pictures!
eatingteam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/13 05:53:19 (permalink)
that stinks that all those places were closed!!!if ever back in the Philly area shoot me an email. We are always doing something food related...

Tony
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/13 06:24:01 (permalink)
Traveling Man. That was a great pic of the neon cheese steak place. You are doing good with the food and camera.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10424
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/13 06:39:05 (permalink)
Travelin Man-
Spectacular photos! Well worth the wait. I also have the same love for neon and took about a half dozen photos of the neon sign at Cozy Inn, but it sure doesn't look anything like that! I am disappointed for you that you didn't get to Tony Luke's.

The only way you are going to get wanderingjew to that Mexican place is if he was bound and gagged!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/13 07:05:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cecif

Mmmmmmm, a man who chooses hoops over food might be a Great Man in my book. Depends on what kind (of both?!?!) though...

I don't know if it was a choice, per se. The way our women's basketball team has been playing of late, I was afraid if I was late, that Coach would have made ME run suicides!

Sundancer/Buffetbuster - thanks for the kind words! I still have a lot to learn about my camera, but I am getting a little better every day. I am sure that the only way to get WJ to a mex place in Philly would be bound and gagged, too.

eatingteam - This trip was so strange or I surely would have tried to meet up with you guys.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/13 07:39:47 (permalink)
This is a real problem traveling during the holidays. We had to travel this past Christmas Day and even the McD's and truck stops were closed. We finally found a Chinese buffet after a lot of driving around a fairly large Midwest city! Very great report TTM! You were presistent and had some great rewards and photos.
sammur
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/13 08:31:39 (permalink)
TTM, this report is better than any book I 've read in the past six months. Maybe you should write a book and use your great photos. Thanks for keeping us entertained. Looking forward to your next installment.
i95
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/13 09:25:10 (permalink)
Steve (The Traveling Man), in all seriousness, a great thread about a less-than-great excursion. Looks like you didn't go hungry, though and it was great seeing you and signman at G&M!
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/13 10:06:41 (permalink)
Yeah, and I think you really do get double persistence points. I would have not only been a wuss and gone with my friend to their recommendations, I wouldn't have kept looking after you hit so many places that were closed. You have the RF spirit, man.

You know, bound and gagged might be a good look for WJ.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/13 10:41:08 (permalink)
TTM, as always a great report. I did plunk down the change to see the Babe Ruth museum, mostly because it featured an extensive exhibit on the Baltimore Orioles, my childhood and early adult favorite team. Also visited the H.L. Mencken house nearby and the Baltimore Public library had an exhibit on the Negro Leagues. My next visit I have promised myself some roadfood meets and restaurants.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1