Hot!Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added)

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/13 10:52:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

...in all seriousness, a great thread about a less-than-great excursion.

Honestly, I think it only sounds bad when you read it all at once. The trip had some highs and some lows, but I was gone for nearly 10 days. Take any 10 day period and you are going to have some good days and some bad days. I guess it sucks a little more when you are on vacation, but even the bad days were better than being at work! I will do a wrap-up in the last post that will (hopefully) make it seem like the trip wasn't so bad!

quote:
Originally posted by Nancypalooza

You know, bound and gagged might be a good look for WJ.

Come on...you're still not holding the dating thread against the old boy, are you?

Everyone else - Thanks for the kind words. I should have expected so many places to be closed considering the time I was traveling. You guys can call it persistence if you want, but it sometimes felt like it was incredibly poor planning on my own behalf!
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/13 11:09:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man
The next segment will include the drive to Richmond and me getting yelled at - I mean reamed - by a restaurant employee for taking pictures!

I love your reports and photos TTM..they are always magnificent. That said, I have already started chuckling in anticipation of this tale!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6466
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/13 23:30:15 (permalink)
TTM

I love neon too. Old and New

Your trip looked great, well worth the wait for the pix.
cecif
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/14 00:25:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
I'll post more when the library isn't clo

OH Nooooooooooo! Ort., hopefully only cut off by the three seconds he had til library computers shut down... ?!??!?!
cecif
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/14 00:35:29 (permalink)
quote:

I don't know if it was a choice, per se. The way our women's basketball team has been playing of late, I was afraid if I was late, that Coach would have made ME run suicides

Okay, hmmmm. I obviously don't know enough about your personal life to understand this ... but I can use my imagination, I suppose!!!

Too bad you missed Reading Terminal Market... sigh. Next time!

Actually, next time you are in Philly, you should try to get what I reckon is the single best egg "sandwich" I have ever had in my life! It was from an Amish pretzel place, they wrapped a fresh pretzel around bacon & egg & cheese (you could get sausage too & I sampled both but bacon was best!). Seriously it was melt-in-your-mouth AWESOME!

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/14 01:53:35 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
After some of these roadtrip Roadfood postings, I'm beginning to feel like an ignorant, Ludduite barnacle. Folksies, I've gotta learn how to advance my technology!
You made me feel like I was there, Travelin' Man. Keep the good work coming!
Less Hurriedly, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Land.
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/19 09:18:37 (permalink)
Travelin' Man

I hope whatever experience you had in Richmond won't prevent you from coming back and checking out the neon signs collected from all over Richmond and exhibited at the Richmond History Center.

you said:"I am an unending fan of neon!"

http://www.richmondhistorycenter.com/permanent.asp

Cathy
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/19 19:23:27 (permalink)
Cathy, thanks for the heads up on the Richmond History Center. If there's an exhibit of old neon signs, I want to see it. I ain't signman for nothin'. For any of you who might be interested in old and cool neon signs, check out VINTAGE NEON by Len Davidson. It features about 100 of my photos.

TTM, those shots of Geno's look better than the real thing. You should have called me from Charlotte. As a fallback (although Landmark turned out OK) I would have sent you to the Original Pancake House. You can never go wrong there.

And yes that photo i95 posted of the two of us, that's really the way we look.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/20 00:00:29 (permalink)
OK...I have made the mental deal with myself that I will not start any reviews/reports of this past weekend's activities in Mobile until this trip report is done. Buffetbuster is still holding out hope that I will finish the Seattle portion of my Pac NW thread, too - but, I may hit Mobile stuff before I do that one.

Day Six - Wednesday, January 2 - Philadelphia, PA to Baltimore to Richmond, VA (continued)

My plan following Lexington Market was to dawdle for a little and then plan a sinner with former poster laststandchili in either Baltimore or Annapolis. I had suggested Maryland blue crabs as an option, and, even after the crab cake overload, I was kind of looking forward to it. Unfortunately, it was not to be. He had an obligation that precluded our meet-up, so I made a bee-line down to my overnight location, Richmond.

While I was not planning an evening meal in Richmond, I did remember that Buz and Ned's Real BBQ has received high marks from others in the past. Signman directed me there, with easy off-highway directions. Given my still-limited skill with low light, all of my exterior pictures didn't come out well.

I walked in to the place around 7 pm and it looked like a ghost town. I sheepishly asked if they were still open and serving, and was suddenly greeted by about four or five smiling faces. Now, this is usually a bad sign to me - straight up dinner hour and the place is empty? This can't be good, right?

All of the employees are adorned with t-shirts touting Buz and Ned's recent "Throwdown" win over Bobby Flay. I stepped up to the counter and asked what was the best item on the menu. The girl who helped me suggested the pulled pork sandwich - and I added a side of macaroni and cheese. My initial skepticism was completely unfounded!

One of the best meals (and also one of my best pictures!) of the trip. And, at about $10, even that notorious cheapskate Rachael Ray would have been impressed. But, this is where things got a little weird....

On my way out, I asked for a refill for my tea. They offer free refills and serve in to-go cups anyway - so, a little tea for the road was in order. I chatted with the very nice girl at the counter about why I was in town, where I was coming from, where I was headed, etc. While she was refilling my tea, I noticed that they had a printed menu right by the register. I usually like to shoot the menu or the overhead board to chronicle the prices - and to see how things change over time. I grabbed my camera, lined up the shot - which actually took more than a second or two - and clicked.

Well...let me tell you about the verbal abuse I took from one of the others working! I was screamed at - I mean YELLING! "NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO TAKE PICTURES IN HERE - ESPECIALLY OF THE MENU!" I was told that the owner is the only one "authorized" to allow photography. No kidding - this woman yelled at me for no less than three minutes. I volunteered to remove the offending photos - probably more out of surprise than fear. She told me that I could "keep" anything that I shot already, but to stop immediately. Normally, I don't like to post pictures that don't show my best pictures, but this time I will make an exception. I think you should all see the "top secret" and "unauthorized" photo from Buz and Ned's.

Sorry...photo flat out sucks.

Now, I am a fan of irony (almost as much as neon). I think that it is incredibly ironic that they list their[url='http://www.buzandneds.com/menus.php']menu[/url] on their own web site. I am pretty sure that they also had take-out menus by the register, as well. If the menu is such a big secret, why is it listed on the web site? Do they know that the Internet extends beyond the boundaries of their control?

I really wish that I could encourage people to go to this place, but there are enough places that have both good food and cheerful service that I am not inclined to stop in with these folks again. Even if they were opposed to my photography, the situation could have been handled much better than by screaming at me!

Still more coming...

Thanks to all for the comments.

@signman - I will be sure to add you to my speed-dial when I am lost with no Roadfood to be found!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/20 00:38:07 (permalink)
Day Seven - Thursday, January 3 - Richmond, VA to Myrtle Beach/Charleston, SC

The previous day had to be one of my best Roadfood days ever - I woke up in Philly and toured the (mostly closed) open-air Italian market, grabbed some pretzels and some hoagies, drove to Baltimore for crab cakes and Berger's cookies and finished the day off with excellent BBQ. I don't know how I could top that...

This day was a weird one. I had a hard time hauling my cookies out of bed, to be honest. I guess that's what vacations are for, so I wasn't uptight about it. Unfortunately, it cost me at least one full meal and maybe two along the way.

Since I got a late start out of the gate, I was determined to beat feet south. In the essence of time, I stopped at a *gasp* chain to grab a morning chicken biscuit at Bojangle's. I don't know why this sounded good to me, but as a true Tar Heel fan, one of the somewhat long-running promotions in Chapel Hill is that Bojangles serves 2-for-1 biscuits the morning after the Heels score 100 points. Maybe it is because I always feel left out when that happens? Either way, I grabbed a chicken biscuit (also, there are no Bojangles here in Hooterville) - and it was tasty.

It took some navigating through back roads and one pure U-turn (it ain't a road trip until you make a u-turn!), but I finally arrived at Wilber's Barbecue in the late afternoon.

This was my first foray into eastern-style NC barbecue. It was definitely an experience. Obviously, I was not used to this, and I hate to make a snap-judgment from one meal, but this didn't appear to be my thing.

I ordered the pork and chicken combo on my server's suggestion. She saw me with my copy of "Roadfood" and mentioned that they were in there. Really? Who knew? She said that the chicken is something unique to their place and I will have not had anything like it. Honestly, it tasted like standard baked chicken - dry baked chicken, at that - in an OK sauce. I didn't want to be rude, but this chicken was incredibly dry. The pork was OK - nothing I would drive out of the way for, but I didn't mind the vinegary sauce at all. I probably should have ordered a pork sandwich and been done with it, but....well, I didn't.

The server was very friendly and welcoming to this obvious outsider. She offered to have "Mr. Wilber" sign my copy of the Roadfood book, but he was out - "he'll be back right quick, though!" She also asked where I was headed and offered me a refill on my tea for the road.

In keeping with my running theme, I was only a few days ahead of the scheduled closing! There are also a number of stories about the air strip next door being used to make BBQ runs to folks all over. I tried to get a photo of one of the overhead planes flying by - but, I failed.

I plugged down the road and stopped for a brief afternoon meet-up with a work friend of mine (she works at a different box factory!), and this, unfortunately, kept me from a dinner in Charleston. I knew that WJ would be disappointed that I didn't make it to 82 Queen, but I have also decided that with Charleston only six or so hours away, I need to get up there more frequently, anyway.

I arrived at my hotel too late to grab anything decent in Charleston. I asked at the front desk, and was told that my best bet at that hour would have been a Waffle House. Hmmm....bed was just as good an option.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/20 01:59:55 (permalink)
Day Eight - Friday, January 4 - South Carolina to St. Augustine, FL to HOME!

Rather than do an early breakfast in Charleston and then a lunch in/near Savannah and then on to St. Augustine, I chose to do a late brunch and then bee-line it for St. Augustine. As much as I love the Crab Shack in Tybee Island, I think I made the right call - this was an EXCELLENT food day!

Since I scared up a cheapie hotel room out by the airport, I needed to drive in towards downtown. I had no idea what the parking would be like near my destination, so I ended up parking on Market Street near Marion Square Park and walked in towards downtown.

This stretch of road (I am standing across the street from Jestine's Kitchen - almost in the parking lot of the fire department) contains one of the best roadfood per square mile ratio almost anywhere! Besides the aforementioned Jestine's, there is also Hyman's Seafood, Cafe Cafe, FIG (Food is Good), and a few others - 82 Queen is just off Meeting, as is SNOB (Slightly North of Broad), which are also both highly regarded, all within just a few short blocks.

My desination, though, was Diana's - a place I have been before, and was anxious to visit again!

Diana's has a tropical theme, and actually made me feel like I was back home in Florida!

Charleston Surf and Turf - an English muffin, topped with a rib eye steak, eggs (I subbed out the over-easy for scrambled), shrimp, and grilled onions. The home fries are on the far side of my plate. This was, bar none, the best breakfast I have ever had. Yes, it was a few bucks - $12, I think - but, it is a hearty breakfast treat - the kind of thing you do once in awhile, not daily.

The perfect forkful.

My server (who also turned out to be the manager) was incredibly attentive, especially when she spotted my "Roadfood" book and my camera. We got to talking about my trip - and she asked me to post a review online. I am not a member of the site that she asked me to use, but I will gladly refer anyone reading here to hit Diana's - especially for breakfast! My intention was to get a nice salute from buffetbuster by having one of Diana's famous desserts, but I realized what had become of the time, and if I didn't haul, I was going to be late for the basketball game in St. Augustine.

Hurry up, Boy! No time for picture taking now!

Good news...our team won - and that meant a celebratory meal! In St. Augustine, that would have to mean...

Eating at O'Steen's almost always means a wait. The place is small - and gets crowded, quickly. But, the wait is oh-so-worth it!

The fried shrimp here are FABULOUS! Normally, the problem with fried shrimp (really - fried anything) is that the batter overpowers the taste of the food. At O'Steen's, the batter is just almost tertiary to the meal, itself. These shrimp are plump and flavorful - and come served piping hot. Also, one of the things I notice about these fried shrimp - I have never not been able to pull out all of the meat from the shrimp tail - these bad boys don't need extra surgery! The hush puppies were good - and, yes, that is fresh fruit on my plate. You will notice that there hasn't been a lot of vegetables or fruit on the plate in previous photos. I figured I would be a good boy and get some healthy stuff here.

My buddy had the fried oysters and declared them wonderful. He went with the more traditional southern sides, too. He also put away some of O'Steen's special red clam chowder, which he liked.

Overall, a winner. The perfect way to end my trip, actually, as I decided to drive home that night rather than stay over in St. Augustine. Unfortunately, I missed out on some of the other places I wanted to hit (Columbia Restaurant and The Brickyard) by going home early, but an extra night in my own bed was surely welcome by this time!

I still had to go back and pick up my car, though. That allowed me to take some pictures in downtown St. Augustine and around the campus of Flagler College.

This is the Casa Monica Hotel, which is often described here as a quality place to stay when visiting St. Augustine. It is a fabulous building, which is again left lacking in photo by my so-so skills!

The intricate ceiling in one of the buildings at Flagler College.

This fountain was outside the previously shown building. I liked the spitting frogs just fine, but I am not quite sure what they were trying to say with this....

That's about all, folks. I hope you enjoyed my adventures. I will do one summary post tomorrow, but I am beat for now!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10425
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/20 06:03:01 (permalink)
TTM-
That is unbelievable and downright silly that they yelled at you for taking a photo of the menu. Especially since they have take-out menus available and it is also there for anyone to see on the internet. I give you credit.....you undoubtedly handled that much better than I would have. As good as that barbecue sandwich looks, I don't think I would go there now.

The breakfast at Diana's look fantastic as does the fried shrimp at O' Steen's. It is great to hear that the rest of your trip got better.

I have walked around Flagler College before and it is indeed gorgeous.

Thanks for the entertaining report and great photos!

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/20 07:50:17 (permalink)
Great write-up, as always, Traveling Man and it was great to finally meet you (as part of this road trip) at G&M outside Baltimore. Two quick things:

(1) I know that signman must've steered you towards at least getting the BEST FRIGGIN' LIMEADE ON THE PLANET at...

...while en route either to or from Buz & Ned's BBQ off of I-95. Did you make it there?

(2) And Wilber's is or was in my sights for a trip through North Carolina next month but your honest review has me thinking twice about that now.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/20 08:02:58 (permalink)
Very nice trip and report TTM. Too bad about the idiot with the big mouth yelling for no reason.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/20 09:27:17 (permalink)
Looks like a lot of fun. That breakfast with the rib-eye looks sensational.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/20 09:48:51 (permalink)
quote:

I really wish that I could encourage people to go to this place, but there are enough places that have both good food and cheerful service that I am not inclined to stop in with these folks again. Even if they were opposed to my photography, the situation could have been handled much better than by screaming at me!

You handled this situation well TTM, but it is too bad you had to deal with such stupidity. I am betting, especially since take-out and web menues are readily available, that the "yeller" was someone who was overstepping their role in making such decisions. As little power is a scary things in the wrong hands.

Thanks for the great report. I almost felt like I was there for the ride.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/20 15:16:05 (permalink)
Yeah, it sounds like a poor example of somebody trying to make their personality disorder work for them. Sorry about that.

Oh you're making me miss Florida. Vacation can't get here soon enough. Nice report TTM. And I'm going to have to order that the next time I go to Diana's.
cecif
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/20 16:24:55 (permalink)
Hey TTM,
So do you coach hoops?? And if you are a Tar Heel, did you see the photo of me after I passed thru Chapel Hill, hanging out at breakfast in the Beacon (Spartanburg SC)...???
(thread: http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23070 )[edit: OOPS! you can't see it, but my shirt was a UNC shirt that says 'blue' on the front... BB I betcha didn't know that either...]

Great report! Sorry you missed the Crab Shack but I enjoyed the photo by the fire station in Charleston, I have photos *of* the fire station, so I felt like I was right there too...
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7911
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/20 21:27:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

(2) And Wilber's is or was in my sights for a trip through North Carolina next month but your honest review has me thinking twice about that now. [/green]

The Travelin Man and I talked about his visit to Wilbers on the Mobile Trip. It seems that he may not be a huge fan of Eastern Carolina Q and I know nothing about the Chicken there because I've never ordered it.

Wilber's is supposed to be the best of the bunch and one of the last of the "woodburners" of Eastern Carolina Q. If I recall a few years back, many Carolina Q Diehards on the forum were knocking Virginia Q, specifially Buz and Ned's and Pierces Pitt with allegations that they weren't real BBQ since it wasn't Eastern NC style.

I haven't been to Wilber's in over 2 years, but I strongly suggest you consider it (just don't get the chicken!)
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/20 21:42:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
Originally posted by i95

(2) And Wilber's is or was in my sights for a trip through North Carolina next month but your honest review has me thinking twice about that now. [/green]

I haven't been to Wilber's in over 2 years, but I strongly suggest you consider it (just don't get the chicken!)

I could not agree more.....go to Wilber's!!!
andrew61083
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/20 23:25:35 (permalink)
quote:

Also, I don't know where the stories of Philadelphia rudeness comes from, but I encountered none of it. Of course, I wasn't dressed in a Santa suit.

Wow, that's so funny it's got me wiping tears from my eyes. Deep breaths...
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/20 23:31:19 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
One of the best of the best trip reports yet. Keep 'em coming, Roadfooders!
Unhungrily, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
P. S. The library is NOT clo
cecif
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/20 23:47:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
One of the best of the best trip reports yet. Keep 'em coming, Roadfooders!
Unhungrily, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
P. S. The library is NOT clo

Now I'm crying laughing too...!!!!!
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/22 11:57:52 (permalink)
I am absolutely HORRIFIED by how you were treated by that woman in Buz & Neds! I cannot believe it! Not that I think you are making this up, but lordy...
Not very hospitiable.
I love their food and I love that they beat the pants off BF.
I wonder if Buz knows about this? I may just have to go in a give them a piece of my mind. If they are going to treat people this way, I will have to rethink sending people their way.
There are other v.g. BBQ places in Richmond (Extra Billy's).

I'm really enjoying reading your report and looking at the pictures!
Cathy
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/22 12:10:53 (permalink)
TTM - that picture of the Charleston Surf&Turf is cruel beyond belief to this librarian who cannot have lunch for another hour!!!!

Cathy
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/22 12:54:23 (permalink)
Was at Wilbur's last year. I absolutely hated it. That vinegar based "Q' is not for me. It was so tart but not in a good way. They use virtually no sugar to contrast the sour tang. But, their hush puppies were fantastic! Best I've ever had. The place was packed on a Wednesday night at 7:30. I loved hearing those Southern accents. Quite a ride east of I-95.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7911
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/22 13:09:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

Was at Wilbur's last year. I absolutely hated it. That vinegar based "Q' is not for me. It was so tart but not in a good way. The yuse no sugar to contrast the sour tang. But, their hush puppies were fantastic! Best I've ever had. The place was packed on a Wednesday night at 7:30. I loved hearing those Southern accents. Quite a ride east of I-95.

I was trying to find an old thread- which probably goes back to 2003 -I remember it was before my Williamsburg Trip in November of 03....
Basically it was supporters of Eastern Carolina Q that were just "bashing" Virginia Q specifically Pierce's, Buzz and Neds and possibly Kings as well, indicating that "that tomato stuff" was not real Q- I wasn't much of a participant of that thread- other than probably saying I like both- but I remember it got pretty heated and may have been locked...
I'll continue looking for it.
flay slayer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/22 15:08:21 (permalink)
quote:

OK...I have made the mental deal with myself that I will not start any reviews/reports of this past weekend's activities in Mobile until this trip report is done. Buffetbuster is still holding out hope that I will finish the Seattle portion of my Pac NW thread, too - but, I may hit Mobile stuff before I do that one.

Day Six - Wednesday, January 2 - Philadelphia, PA to Baltimore to Richmond, VA (continued)

My plan following Lexington Market was to dawdle for a little and then plan a sinner with former poster laststandchili in either Baltimore or Annapolis. I had suggested Maryland blue crabs as an option, and, even after the crab cake overload, I was kind of looking forward to it. Unfortunately, it was not to be. He had an obligation that precluded our meet-up, so I made a bee-line down to my overnight location, Richmond.

While I was not planning an evening meal in Richmond, I did remember that Buz and Ned's Real BBQ has received high marks from others in the past. Signman directed me there, with easy off-highway directions. Given my still-limited skill with low light, all of my exterior pictures didn't come out well.

I walked in to the place around 7 pm and it looked like a ghost town. I sheepishly asked if they were still open and serving, and was suddenly greeted by about four or five smiling faces. Now, this is usually a bad sign to me - straight up dinner hour and the place is empty? This can't be good, right?

All of the employees are adorned with t-shirts touting Buz and Ned's recent "Throwdown" win over Bobby Flay. I stepped up to the counter and asked what was the best item on the menu. The girl who helped me suggested the pulled pork sandwich - and I added a side of macaroni and cheese. My initial skepticism was completely unfounded!

One of the best meals (and also one of my best pictures!) of the trip. And, at about $10, even that notorious cheapskate Rachael Ray would have been impressed. But, this is where things got a little weird....

On my way out, I asked for a refill for my tea. They offer free refills and serve in to-go cups anyway - so, a little tea for the road was in order. I chatted with the very nice girl at the counter about why I was in town, where I was coming from, where I was headed, etc. While she was refilling my tea, I noticed that they had a printed menu right by the register. I usually like to shoot the menu or the overhead board to chronicle the prices - and to see how things change over time. I grabbed my camera, lined up the shot - which actually took more than a second or two - and clicked.

Well...let me tell you about the verbal abuse I took from one of the others working! I was screamed at - I mean YELLING! "NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO TAKE PICTURES IN HERE - ESPECIALLY OF THE MENU!" I was told that the owner is the only one "authorized" to allow photography. No kidding - this woman yelled at me for no less than three minutes. I volunteered to remove the offending photos - probably more out of surprise than fear. She told me that I could "keep" anything that I shot already, but to stop immediately. Normally, I don't like to post pictures that don't show my best pictures, but this time I will make an exception. I think you should all see the "top secret" and "unauthorized" photo from Buz and Ned's.

Now, I am a fan of irony (almost as much as neon). I think that it is incredibly ironic that they list their[url='http://www.buzandneds.com/menus.php']menu[/url] on their own web site. I am pretty sure that they also had take-out menus by the register, as well. If the menu is such a big secret, why is it listed on the web site? Do they know that the Internet extends beyond the boundaries of their control?

Still more coming...

@signman - I will be sure to add you to my speed-dial when I am lost with no Roadfood to be found!
flay slayer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/22 15:34:58 (permalink)
quote:

Still more coming...

Dear Travelin Man,
I was just informed about the incident you experienced at Buz and Ned's on the evening of Jan.2, '08. From me and all of our staff we send the most sincere apology. This is not how we operate and this should never have happened. We have absolutely no policy or rules about taking photos of the front of the house which is open to all to see. This so disturbed me that I was speechless when I read the link to your story sent to me by a customer of ours and apparently a reader of RoadFood.com.

I only wish that I had been contacted when this happened. We have a $12,000 camera and sound system that we could have used to find out exactly who was the offending employee. If you can still remember enough to help us identify this person you can rest assured that they will be immediately dismissed...if they still work here.
We replaced some employees since then for poor customer contact...but not to this extreme.
Please forgive us. My company has a pretty good reputation and I wish to keep it that way. Too many years of pain and suffering have gone by to allow some nucklehead employee to tarnish what we have done.
Please accept dinner on me next time you are in town and I will personally serve it to you. So give me a heads up before you come.

Buz

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/22 15:43:38 (permalink)
I rescind what I said earlier about not going to Buz & Ned's. After seeing what Buz wrote, now I will definitely go out of my way to eat there. Which I'm glad about, because that is one great looking bbq sandwich!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1