Hot!Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added)

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/22 15:58:17 (permalink)
That was a sincere reply by Buz. Traveling man can feel good about that. You have to appreciate hiw swift reply.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7967
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/22 16:00:38 (permalink)
I've never been to Buz & Ned's
But the the next time I visit Richmond I know where I'm heading
(Besides Stuart's Fresh Catch) which I've also wanted to try.
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/22 16:16:08 (permalink)

As the first person to tout Buz & Ned's on this very site[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2394']over four years ago[/url] -- and following a first class response by this restaurant's owner -- I offer the additional two things:

• my immodesty in pointing out my own post from 2004;

• AND my willingness to use The Traveling Man's "gift certificate" the next time that said poster's court-ordered community service disallows him from leaving Florida to use said offer.

Please, no "thank yous." Truly, it's the very least I could do.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/22 16:40:06 (permalink)
That poor dude just keeps getting Traveling-Manned over and over. :)
flay slayer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/22 16:59:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

OK...I have made the mental deal with myself that I will not start any reviews/reports of this past weekend's activities in Mobile until this trip report is done. Buffetbuster is still holding out hope that I will finish the Seattle portion of my Pac NW thread, too - but, I may hit Mobile stuff before I do that one.

Day Six - Wednesday, January 2 - Philadelphia, PA to Baltimore to Richmond, VA (continued)

My plan following Lexington Market was to dawdle for a little and then plan a sinner with former poster laststandchili in either Baltimore or Annapolis. I had suggested Maryland blue crabs as an option, and, even after the crab cake overload, I was kind of looking forward to it. Unfortunately, it was not to be. He had an obligation that precluded our meet-up, so I made a bee-line down to my overnight location, Richmond.

While I was not planning an evening meal in Richmond, I did remember that Buz and Ned's Real BBQ has received high marks from others in the past. Signman directed me there, with easy off-highway directions. Given my still-limited skill with low light, all of my exterior pictures didn't come out well.

I walked in to the place around 7 pm and it looked like a ghost town. I sheepishly asked if they were still open and serving, and was suddenly greeted by about four or five smiling faces. Now, this is usually a bad sign to me - straight up dinner hour and the place is empty? This can't be good, right?

All of the employees are adorned with t-shirts touting Buz and Ned's recent "Throwdown" win over Bobby Flay. I stepped up to the counter and asked what was the best item on the menu. The girl who helped me suggested the pulled pork sandwich - and I added a side of macaroni and cheese. My initial skepticism was completely unfounded!

One of the best meals (and also one of my best pictures!) of the trip. And, at about $10, even that notorious cheapskate Rachael Ray would have been impressed. But, this is where things got a little weird....

On my way out, I asked for a refill for my tea. They offer free refills and serve in to-go cups anyway - so, a little tea for the road was in order. I chatted with the very nice girl at the counter about why I was in town, where I was coming from, where I was headed, etc. While she was refilling my tea, I noticed that they had a printed menu right by the register. I usually like to shoot the menu or the overhead board to chronicle the prices - and to see how things change over time. I grabbed my camera, lined up the shot - which actually took more than a second or two - and clicked.

Well...let me tell you about the verbal abuse I took from one of the others working! I was screamed at - I mean YELLING! "NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO TAKE PICTURES IN HERE - ESPECIALLY OF THE MENU!" I was told that the owner is the only one "authorized" to allow photography. No kidding - this woman yelled at me for no less than three minutes. I volunteered to remove the offending photos - probably more out of surprise than fear. She told me that I could "keep" anything that I shot already, but to stop immediately. Normally, I don't like to post pictures that don't show my best pictures, but this time I will make an exception. I think you should all see the "top secret" and "unauthorized" photo from Buz and Ned's.

Sorry...photo flat out sucks.

Now, I am a fan of irony (almost as much as neon). I think that it is incredibly ironic that they list their[url='http://www.buzandneds.com/menus.php']menu[/url] on their own web site. I am pretty sure that they also had take-out menus by the register, as well. If the menu is such a big secret, why is it listed on the web site? Do they know that the Internet extends beyond the boundaries of their control?

I really wish that I could encourage people to go to this place, but there are enough places that have both good food and cheerful service that I am not inclined to stop in with these folks again. Even if they were opposed to my photography, the situation could have been handled much better than by screaming at me!

Still more coming...

Thanks to all for the comments.

@signman - I will be sure to add you to my speed-dial when I am lost with no Roadfood to be found!

Travelin Man, can you please email me @ buz@buzandneds.com
I joined Roadfood in order to post my apology but I can't seem to figure out how to reply directly to your post. Thanks.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/22 18:42:05 (permalink)
Buz if you go to one of TravelinMan's posts, and click the little open-envelope-with-paper icon, that will send him an offlist post. And for the rest of us, you've been very gracious right here.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/22 18:51:39 (permalink)
Mr. Voss. I do not understand you post. Please explain once a dick, always a dick.

I sincerely hope I did not misunderstand your post.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4654
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/22 19:49:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Mr. Voss. I do not understand you post. Please explain once a dick, always a dick.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

what's to misunderstand? The damage was done.
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/22 22:39:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

what's to misunderstand? The damage was done.

The "damage" was done by an employee. Buz is doing an excellent job of addressing the problem. As the RF reader who brought the problem to his attention, I applaud his efforts. And will meet anyone who wants to try the excellent and Bobby Flay B***Kicking BBQ.
Cathy
signman
  • Total Posts : 1744
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/22 23:59:19 (permalink)
Class act by Buz. I too will go out of my way to stop in on a trip to the Petersburg area in a month.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5493
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/23 01:05:50 (permalink)
Nice apology.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4654
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/23 01:38:27 (permalink)
I apologize for my rather harsh remarks, which came off as mean rather than funny. Sorry, Buzz and Ned.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15335
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/23 11:40:47 (permalink)
Nice that the issue seems to be resolved to the satisfaction of all.
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/23 15:56:39 (permalink)
Bill,
Your apology is appreciated since I was pretty offended by your remark (unusual, I mostly enjoy your posts!). Thanks.

And thanks of course to Buz too!

And LBNL to Travellin Man for his excellent report and honesty and good humor!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/23 16:00:05 (permalink)
Bill, you did fine and we all appreciate your explanation.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 611
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/02/29 11:51:28 (permalink)
It is REALLY nice to see when an owner gives a hoot what those of us out here think....
and responds in a prompt and gracious fashion.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3766
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/03/04 10:12:54 (permalink)
I have exchanged emails with Buz from Buz and Ned's and, as you may have all expected, this issue is obviously resolved. I have been a little under-the-weather since returning from Mobile, which has curtailed my posting (and emailing!), but, as Buddy once said on Night Court, "I'm feeling much better now!"

As far as I am concerned, Buz and Ned's moves into the "highly recommended" category. Any owner who cares enough to publicly come forward to correct an employee's mistake should be a case-study in customer relations.

I still need to go back and clean up some of the links, but it will have to wait until I get home.

Thanks for all the comments and especially to williamsburger for following-up with Buz!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10517
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/03/07 09:02:20 (permalink)
It is great to hear that this got resolved in the manner that it did. Kudos to both Buz and Travelin Man!

I will make a point to visit Buz & Ned's on my next swing through Richmond.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/03/07 10:30:06 (permalink)
Man...I have been so swamped that I haven't been able to put this thread to bed yet, but I did want to add one more thing as a follow-up to my last post (and buffetbuster kind of reminded me of it).

I hope that most of you took the story of me getting yelled at in the humor in which it was meant. Yes, the employee was out of line; and yes, I was shocked at the treatment, but those who heard me tell the story live in Mobile (and buffetbuster and wanderingjew were there, at least) should be able to tell you that I told the story with laughter - not anger. I guess maybe that is why I was less concerned with getting anyone fired over this - I was too busy telling a humorous story.

I hope all of you that make it to Buz and Ned's tell them that you heard about the place here on Roadfood. It would do the owners good to know that their efforts to resolve the issue didn't go unnoticed. Besides, then maybe they won't yell at ya!
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/03/08 07:23:49 (permalink)
Glad you did not get yelled at in Sylvester, GA, at Parker's BBQ.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2008/03/10 10:55:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

As the first person to tout Buz & Ned's on this very site[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2394']over four years ago[/url] -- and following a first class response by this restaurant's owner -- I offer the additional two things:

• my immodesty in pointing out my own post from 2004;

• AND my willingness to use The Traveling Man's "gift certificate" the next time that said poster's court-ordered community service disallows him from leaving Florida to use said offer.

Please, no "thank yous." Truly, it's the very least I could do.

Hey Kurt,

What do you want a

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10517
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2010/05/03 10:08:09 (permalink)
I went back and reread this trip report.  And what a classic it is. Between, TTM's excellent descriptions and photos, all the closed restaurants and him getting yelled at, this is one of the best and most entertaining trip reports ever!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2010/05/03 21:26:10 (permalink)
Thanks for reviving it. it was a pleasure to read it again.
schindlr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2010/05/03 22:12:59 (permalink)
TTM, you make me proud to be a transplanted Floridian!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2010/05/04 14:21:46 (permalink)
Ah, yes, the trip report that begot a new verb.....that lives on...and on...and on.

I remember when I used to have time to write trip reports.  Now, it is mostly trip retorts.
LEsherick2008
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2010/07/10 03:34:04 (permalink)
Great road trip and great pictures. I will definatley have to make Buzz and Ned's a must stop when I am in Richmond again.
post edited by LEsherick2008 - 2010/07/10 18:20:22
Littleman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 590
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2010/07/10 10:02:08 (permalink)
Go post your message on where to eat forum.  Any replies to your post will bring up this entire trip report. 
flay slayer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2010/07/10 14:30:23 (permalink)
...and thanks to 'Williamsburg' it was the motivator for me to become an official member of 'the Clan Roadfood'. It does seem like a very long time since that now infamous key board to key board.

Buz 
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2010/07/10 15:45:46 (permalink)
I don't know if defiance is warranted, exactly.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2013/12/29 20:06:38 (permalink)
I pulled this trip report up today as a reference point for where "Travelin' Manned" originated. It's hard to believe that this trip was now six years ago. It really was a fun trip and, while there were plenty of unexpected closings, I really don't feel like I missed out on anything.

Fun times.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1