Hot!Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added)

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3766
2007/12/10 20:21:18 (permalink)

Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added)

The full trip report, including pictures begins midway through Page 2. Enjoy.

One of the great advantages to working at the box factory is that I get an insane amount of vacation time - more than I could realistically use. I decided to milk a few extra days out of my upcoming holiday break (said box factory closes from Christmas Eve through New Year's Day) and take a road trip. If you have suggestions on where to go and what to do while on the road, I am all ears. In addition to roadfood, I am also a fan of roadside attractions (the World's Largest Ball of Earwax, and goofy crap like that). I play things by ear when I travel, and I am not a huge fan of wintry weather, so things may get a little loosy goosy, but I would like to have some framework for travel, if possible. We can compare this thread to the trip report and see how well I stayed on task!

Just to get you in the[url='http://new.wavlist.com/movies/298/vegasv-holiday.wav']spirit of the trip[/url]....

Day One - Friday, December 28 - Central Florida to Albany, GA
I am not sure if there will be an early stop in or around Orlando for lunch, or I will pack something from home. But, there could easily be dinner plans anywhere from Valdosta north to Albany sometime around 5 pm.

Day Two - Saturday, December 29 - Albany, GA to Columbia, SC or Charlotte, NC
Possible breakfast/lunch in Albany or reasonable driving distance from. Plans at 4 pm, so not too far. Dinner will be some time after 6 pm and will depend on how far I want to drive out of Albany towards either Columbia, SC or Charlotte, NC. For planning purposes, assume [url='http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=Albany,+GA&daddr=Charlotte,+NC&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=31.426353,59.765625&ie=UTF8&ll=33.155948,-81.320801&spn=4.147376,7.470703&z=7&om=1']this is the route.[/url] Any ideas would be welcome. I looked at the reviewed place in Milledgeville, but they are only open for lunch, and closed on Saturdays, so that doesn't help me! Where I overnight will depend on how tired I am for a drive that will begin after 6 pm from Albany.

Day Three - Sunday, December 30 - Charlotte, NC to Roanoke, VA to ???
Regardless of where I stay the previous night, I think I will do breakfast in Charlotte. It is a city that I haven't nearly enough time in, and I am told there are some excellent spots in CLT. I have a friend who lives in Roanoke who I plan to see on the way up north - stopping for either a late lunch or dinner. I may overnight there, or I may keep driving....not sure.

Day Four - Monday, December 31 - Roanoke, VA or ??? to Philadelphia, PA
This is the ultimate in loosy goosy days. I know that I have NYE plans in Philly or Atlantic City, but that is about all I know. If there is something worth stopping for notable along the path, I want to know about it. I have never driven this section of Virginia to PA.

Day Five - Tuesday, January 1 - Philadelphia, PA
I am told that I am going to the Mummers Parade, but that is all I know. I am also told that I may not be too sober to remember much.

Day Six - Wednesday, January 2 - Philadelphia, PA to Baltimore/Washington, DC/Richmond, VA??
I plan to get a late start out of Philly, perhaps grabbing a good breakfast, some pretzels, and who knows what else? I plan to swing down towards Baltimore and/or Washington, DC to (hopefully) meet up with my fellow Roadfooders from that vicinity - maybe signman and ol' Road Sign??? I smell some G&M crabcakes in my future here. I also plan on bringing a cooler to preserve some goodies on the way home!

Day Seven - Thursday, January 3 - Richmond, VA to Myrtle Beach/Charleston, SC
Assume the best - that I will leave from Richmond-ish and head towards South Carolina. I have a friend in Myrtle Beach - and I LOVE Charleston. I will stop at one or the other, but may not have time for both. Also, anything notable for a stop along the way?

Day Eight - Friday, January 4 - South Carolina to St. Augustine, FL
Depending on how I time this, I may be able to do breakfast in Chas, lunch at the Crab Shack on Tybee Island and still make it to St Augustine for 4 pm, which is the goal. Dinner in St Auggies - well, that's easy....O'Steen's for fried shrimp!!!

Day Nine - Saturday, January 5 - St Augustine --> Home!
Looking for a breakfast/lunch option in St. Augustine. Departing late afternoon/early evening. My plan, as of now, is to hit the Brickyard (finally) in Daytona for a burger. I may hold out until I get to Titusville for Dixie Crossroads, but I doubt it.

Other than the price of gas blowing my budget and winter weather making the roads treacherous, that is my plan. I am open to any and all suggestions.

157 Replies Related Threads

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/10 21:02:34 (permalink)
    Whew...............I'm tired!
    Let me do some thinking here, but so far, I say Little Pig's In Myrtle for a pulled pork sandwich.
    Where I am thinking is a bit out of your way.. That Q spot in Aynor--Gore's, is about 35 miles west of Myrtle.
    And a small hole in the wall close to my house, Pullybones is about 25 west, in Conway... They make a killer southern style Cuban....and a Burger sub that rocks, excellent fried chicken, and gotta have their hand cut Onion rings!
    If you do decide to stop in Myrtle, give me a holler!
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1744
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/10 21:40:58 (permalink)
    Steve, I've got you penciled in on Jan 2. I wish I was going to the Mummers Parade. The highlight is the Fancy Brigades; try to get seats in the Convention Center for their performances.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/11 09:05:32 (permalink)
    Day 4: Natural Bridge, VA. If you've never been to this part of I-81, this is a must stop.
    http://www.naturalbridgeva.com/bridge.html

I wish I could meet you at G&M on Day 6, but alas, I will be travelling from Buffalo back to DC on that very day. Say hello to Signman for me.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/11 09:10:10 (permalink)
    That's pretty much the quickest way to go TM. If you're hungry in Columbia, lemme give you your best two bets.

If you take I-26 W toward Spartanburg off I-20 and take the very next exit, 106A, you can go to the best Mexican restaurant in town, http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2005-43,GGLR:en&um=1&q=taqueria+jalisco&near=Columbia,+SC&fb=1&view=text&latlng=34045099,-81125086,2930910462468981047#

If you want barbecue and you're hungry before Columbia, you should go to Shealy's in Batesburg-Leesville. Google is suggesting exit 39 off I-20, but pretty much the next three exits will get you there after about a 10 mile drive north of the interstate. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&view=text&q=shealys+barbecue&near=batesburg-leesville,+sc&ie=UTF8&hl=en&latlng=33915028,-81515690,7544893800259000399&ei=rpleR_7mCY_-rALx_d3FBg&cd=1#
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 442
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/11 09:21:28 (permalink)
    On US 129, north of Macon, stop at the Old Clinton Barbeque in Gray GA. It'll be on your right. Very good barbeque--they claim it's the best in GA and I tend to agree. Great chopped pork with a vinegary sauce.

Further south, a little north of Albany, GA there's not a whole lot to recommend, but you may wish to make a stop at Stripling's Country Store on GA 300 and get a sausage biscuit and maybe some of their beef jerky. The sausage is really good.

What box factory do you work at? It's not Elberta Crate by any chance?
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/11 09:47:39 (permalink)
    Roos: I will jot down the suggestions for Myrtle Beach. I think after that trip, I don't know how much deviation I will make from the planned route to get out to Conway, but my friend that lives that way works at Coastal Carolina, so it may not be that out of the way, at all!

SR: Thanks for the suggestion of Natural Bridge. I may try to talk my Roanoke friend into making that trip with me. It looks fascinating and right up my alley. Sorry you won't be able to join us at G&M (or, honestly, wherever we end up - though, I will have a hard time being talked out of G&M!).

Nancy: I am not big on Mexican (should have mentioned that in the original post), but thanks for the suggestion. Shealy's sounds like it might be more my speed.

tfrielin: Old Clinton BBQ sounds like it is right in my path. It looks like I may not make it there until after 8 pm, though, so I will need to be sure that they would be open at that time on a Saturday night. I realize that there just ain't much in that southwestern part of GA, but it is what it is. Oh, and[url='http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=box+factory']this[/url] is the box factory at which I work.

Thanks for all of the replies. Jan 2 is shaping for B-more. Anyone else that wants in is welcome to join.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/11 10:14:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

Day 4: Natural Bridge, VA. If you've never been to this part of I-81, this is a must stop.
    http://www.naturalbridgeva.com/bridge.html

I wish I could meet you at G&M on Day 6, but alas, I will be travelling from Buffalo back to DC on that very day. Say hello to Signman for me.

In the same area...and some say even more spectacular than the Natural Bridge is[url='http://www.weirdus.com/stories/VA02.asp'] this[/url] gem.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/11 10:17:29 (permalink)
    Tony....you ROCK.
    southpaw
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/11 10:19:53 (permalink)
    when in Roanoke... dinner at THE HOMPLACE in Catawba. It is open 11-6 on Sundays and well worth the drive over the mountain.

tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/11 10:21:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Travelin Man

tfrielin: Old Clinton BBQ sounds like it is right in my path. It looks like I may not make it there until after 8 pm, though, so I will need to be sure that they would be open at that time on a Saturday night. I realize that there just ain't much in that southwestern part of GA, but it is what it is.

Ok, if you know South GA, you won't be disappointed--you're right, it is what it is. But having spent most of my adult life transplanted to Bainbridge, GA, I have a special fondness for the area.

Yes, you will on a direct beam for the Old Clinton Barbeque on US 129--look for their billboard as you crest the hill and it will be on the right, complete with sawdust and picnic tables out front. I don't know how late they stay open, but here is their phone number if you'd want to give them a call when you get close: (478) 986-3225.

I promise you won't be disappointed!
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/11 13:53:16 (permalink)
    quote:

Day One - Friday, December 28 - Central Florida to Albany, GA

Day Three - Sunday, December 30 - Charlotte, NC to Roanoke, VA to ???

Day Four - Monday, December 31 - Roanoke, VA or ??? to Philadelphia, PA

Day Five - Tuesday, January 1 - Philadelphia, PA

Day Six - Wednesday, January 2 - Philadelphia, PA to Baltimore/Washington, DC/Richmond, VA??

Day Seven - Thursday, January 3 - Richmond, VA to Myrtle Beach/Charleston, SC

Day Eight - Friday, January 4 - South Carolina to St. Augustine, FL

Day Nine - Saturday, January 5 - St Augustine --> Home!

Isn't this the very path of most U.S. hurricanes?

A coincidence?? I think not.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/11 13:55:12 (permalink)
    Hurricanes don't usually boomerang back to Florida! Other than that, there are some coincidences. Maybe I could rent a Geo Storm for the trip!
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/11 14:15:41 (permalink)
    I'll presume that vehicle has a Monsoon stereo system,[url='http://www.sounddogs.com/previews/2220/mp3/403026_SOUNDDOGS_CR.mp3']yes[/url]?
    LeeMargo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/11 14:25:11 (permalink)
    If you get a chance, try to get to the Italian Market and grab a meal at the Villa di Roma 936 S 9th St... it will surely be served w/ an Italian 'tude. The food + atmosphere are the BEST! Also make sure to get a cheesesteak... everyone has their favorite, I like them all... Geno's, Pat's Tony Lukes, you really cant go wrong. The Reading Terminal is an awesome spot to stop by, there are lots of fresh vendors there... from meats to veggies to Chineese... my favorite thing there is to get some fresh baked cookies and take in the scenery. I will post more as I think of it! Enjoy! See ya at the parade to do the Mummers strut (I hope ur practicing!)
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/11 14:55:13 (permalink)
    quote:

Hurricanes don't usually boomerang back to Florida! Other than that, there are some coincidences. Maybe I could rent a Geo Storm for the trip!

Not to worry--hurricane season ended last day of November. Plus after the Hurricane Blitz of 2005, there have been no hurricanes of any destructive consequence to hit the US, despite the dire warnings about increasingly strong, monster storms fueled by Global Warming(tm).

Relax--enjoy the roadtrip!
    Neesie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/11 15:53:00 (permalink)
    I post extensively on travel boards and sometimes make a stop or two in St. Augustine. I have been told by many people not to miss O'Steen's for reasonably priced seafood, fried chicken, peanut butter pie, etc. It is quite an old establishment and so popular that there are frequent waits of 1 hour for a table. I was told that you can order take-out and take it to the beach. Anyways, I mentioned it because my travel people told me it was not to be missed when in St. Augustine.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10517
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/11 23:13:28 (permalink)
    Travelin Man-
    Love the ambition of this journey. And I anticipate the best Roadfood trip report, yet!

As for working at the box factory, it could be worse. You could work at the cracker factory with Milhouse's dad.
    Southern Fried
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/12 02:01:34 (permalink)

Smoakies BBQ near Cordele is very good. It is along your route just off I-75 and would be a good choice.

If that is too early for you to eat, then Fincher’s BBQ in Macon is another good choice. It is very close to I-75 as well.

Also, Fresh Air BBQ in Macon is another possibility, but it would be a short (but easy) detour from your route. These places all normally stay open until 9 pm on Saturday.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/12 09:00:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

As for working at the box factory, it could be worse. You could work at the cracker factory with Milhouse's dad.

Actually, Milhouse's Dad was fired from the cracker factory after his divorce (I think it might have been his father-in-law's cracker factory - and, I think I know way too much about this). Last I heard he was an assistant to the guy who puts fliers under people's windshield wipers.

And, honestly, that sounds pretty good to me right now.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions. I do have O'Steen's on my plan (and I have been there before). Keep the suggestions coming - especially anything in south Georgia and on the ride from Virginia back towards Florida.

I will email the people who have expressed interest in a Baltimore get-together separately.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10517
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/12 09:22:08 (permalink)
    Travelin Man-
    Maybe Milhouse's dad was telling people that he worked at the Cracker Factory to impress the ladies!

Do you love the fact that Albuquerque's minor league baseball team is called the Isotopes as much as I do?
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/12 10:40:02 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

Keep the suggestions coming - especially anything in south Georgia and on the ride from Virginia back towards Florida.

There is a decent barbeque place called J.L.'s Barbeque on the I-475 by-pass at Macon. Take the US 80 exit. Been there a million times and never once disappointed.

Two places I've never been for Georgia, but I've always wanted to stop at: Nu Way Weiners also in Macon (several locations) and just north of Albany on GA 300 is Bryce's Rib Shack-- a little literal shack near the bridge at Lake Blackshear.

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/12 13:01:46 (permalink)
    quote:

Roos: I will jot down the suggestions for Myrtle Beach. I think after that trip, I don't know how much deviation I will make from the planned route to get out to Conway, but my friend that lives that way works at Coastal Carolina, so it may not be that out of the way, at all!

SR: Thanks for the suggestion of Natural Bridge. I may try to talk my Roanoke friend into making that trip with me. It looks fascinating and right up my alley. Sorry you won't be able to join us at G&M (or, honestly, wherever we end up - though, I will have a hard time being talked out of G&M!).

Nancy: I am not big on Mexican (should have mentioned that in the original post), but thanks for the suggestion. Shealy's sounds like it might be more my speed.

tfrielin: Old Clinton BBQ sounds like it is right in my path. It looks like I may not make it there until after 8 pm, though, so I will need to be sure that they would be open at that time on a Saturday night. I realize that there just ain't much in that southwestern part of GA, but it is what it is. Oh, and[url='http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=box+factory']this[/url] is the box factory at which I work.

Thanks for all of the replies. Jan 2 is shaping for B-more. Anyone else that wants in is welcome to join.

Coastal would be about 10 miles from Pullybones.....
    Gores is a little far...
    allyk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/13 16:45:26 (permalink)
    If you are talking about Cafe South in Milledgeville, it has gone out of business. We all miss it--wonderful food. There is a great barbeque joint: Pig In A Pit. I think it's better than Old Clinton--not so sour. The pulled pork is tender and smoky. It's more like what I grew up with in Alabama--I was raised on Big Bob Gibson's. They also have great meat and 3.
    Southern Fried
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/16 17:05:38 (permalink)
    Travelin Man, I have driven your planned route in the evening many times through Georgia to the Carolinas. You do not want to go through Milledgeville. The best way is to get on U.S. 129 in Macon. Proceed to Eatonton and then take Hwy 44 across Lake Oconee to I-20. I believe this what your Google map shows.

If you leave Albany after 6 pm, it will be around midnight when you get to Columbia. And after that there is a barren stretch until you get near the North Carolina border. I would plan accordingly.

And in the interest of saving time, I would eat at Carter's Fried Chicken in Cordele. It is take-out only, so you would have to eat in your car. But it is very near to your planned route and is very good.
    cheeseburgah cheeseburgah
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/16 17:23:56 (permalink)
    Afraid I can't help with the roadfood that way, but the best place I've found for roadside attractions is roadsideamerica.com. You may want to explore the entire site - pretty comprehensive and fascinating. Have a great trip.
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/16 22:25:50 (permalink)
    Travelin Man,
    Please oh please oh PLEASE don't go near Spartanburg SC without a stop at the Beacon!!!!
    It would be utterly foolhardy. One of the best RF place I have ever been. Tea to die for!
    (and I don't even like sweet tea!) I had breakfast but they really specialize in the later meals: http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=154

I hope you have a moment to check out my trip report: I loved my stops on the SC & GA coast!!
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23070 espec the Crab Shack in GA, glad it's on your list!

Also if heading to Roanoke (which I loved, BTW), do spend some time on the BRP!
    Wish I could go with ya...
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/16 22:27:14 (permalink)
    I forgot to say READING TERMINAL MARKET in Philly!
    [it's in the above linked trip report, which covers much of the same states as you...!]
    GeoNit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/17 10:57:24 (permalink)
    Near Roanoke:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-12886525R-homeplace_restaurant_roanoke-i

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kdesrosi/thehomeplace/
    MaggietheCat2
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Road Trip! FL/GA/SC/NC/PA/MD +more! (Pics added) 2007/12/18 09:40:25 (permalink)
    There are some great places between Myrtle Beach and Charleston. Historic downtown Georgetown is worth a stop if you have the time. There's a great little bakery there called the Kudzu Bakery (120 King St) where you can get all kinds of fresh baked southern goodies including a tomato pie that you take with you finish baking at home.

If you have the time I would visit the small fishing village of McClellanville. It is about 40 minutes from Charleston on Rt. 17. You'll see signs for it on 17. Lots of great places to eat in and around McClellanville-McClellanville Diner, T. W. Graham's (best pie in the world!), Pinckney Street Kitchen. You can also buy shrimp right of the boat for about $4/LB. The big ones too! Also just before you reach McClellanville is Hampton Plantation on the right side of 17 (you'll see signs). A completely preserved 18th century Plantation House and it's free to visit the grounds or $5 for a tour of the house! Very close to the plantation is St. James Church, built in 1768 it's the first brick church built in the area.

A little bit further down the road is the SeeWee Restaurant, a local favorite. Once you get into Mount Pleasant there's the famous Jack's Cosmic Dog and Gullah Cuisine. Both of these are great just depends on what you're in the mood for.

Between Charleston and Tybee Island make a quick side trip over to Old Sheldon Church. There will be signs along 17 and it will only add about 15 min. to the trip.

Have fun!
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1