Road Trip - July 3rd

Author
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
2003/06/28 17:58:58 (permalink)

Road Trip - July 3rd

We will be leaving on a trip starting July 3rd. We'll be staying in LaFayette, IN; Knoxville, TN; Southern Pines, NC; Aiken, SC; Gainesville, GA; around Hendersonville/Brevard, NC, and Lexington, KY.
We're looking for good spots to eat breadfast and/or dinner in each of those general areas. Any help would be most appreciated.

6 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Road Trip - July 3rd 2003/06/28 18:56:37 (permalink)
    Which way are you going when you leave Lexington?? I-64 thru Louisville or I-75/I-74 North???
    Same Question for your coming down from Chicago. If you are coming thru the Louisville area we might have a couple of suggestions for you. Same goes for Cincinnati.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Road Trip - July 3rd 2003/06/28 20:17:00 (permalink)
    While in Knoxville, TN, I definately suggest Louis's on Broadway for lunch or dinner. Without a doubt, the best spaghetti sauce I hae ever experienced or tasted in my life. I have no idea how they do it. I wrote the Knoxville News Sentinel, which is our daily paper and inquired how they do it. They responded that it top secret. It is slightly salty and very meaty.

If you want to venture into Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg area for shopping which the ladies and even myself enjoy for shopping, by all means, go to the Apple Barn which is owned by Billy Kilpatrick, a friend of mine. It is a huge complex consisting of two restaurants, three gift shops, bakery, winery, candy mfg, huge apple orchard, motel and the beautiful Pigeon River. They serve breakfst, lunch and dinner. Breakfast is all you can handle with complimentary apple cocktail, apple fritters and the breakfast is outta sight. Lunch and dinner feature Tennessee cuisine. Try the fried chicken with gravy.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Junior Burger
    RE: Road Trip - July 3rd 2003/06/28 22:29:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Which way are you going when you leave Lexington?? I-64 thru Louisville or I-75/I-74 North???
    Same Question for your coming down from Chicago. If you are coming thru the Louisville area we might have a couple of suggestions for you. Same goes for Cincinnati.
    Response... We're coming down through Cincinnati and we're going back up through Louisville. Any ideas would be very welcome. We've been "Roadfood/Stern's fans" for many, many years. Thanks for your feedback.
    Junior Burger
    RE: Road Trip - July 3rd 2003/06/28 22:34:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

While in Knoxville, TN, I definately suggest Louis's on Broadway for lunch or dinner. Without a doubt, the best spaghetti sauce I hae ever experienced or tasted in my life. I have no idea how they do it. I wrote the Knoxville News Sentinel, which is our daily paper and inquired how they do it. They responded that it top secret. It is slightly salty and very meaty.

If you want to venture into Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg area for shopping which the ladies and even myself enjoy for shopping, by all means, go to the Apple Barn which is owned by Billy Kilpatrick, a friend of mine. It is a huge complex consisting of two restaurants, three gift shops, bakery, winery, candy mfg, huge apple orchard, motel and the beautiful Pigeon River. They serve breakfst, lunch and dinner. Breakfast is all you can handle with complimentary apple cocktail, apple fritters and the breakfast is outta sight. Lunch and dinner feature Tennessee cuisine. Try the fried chicken with gravy.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for getting back to us.. Thinking about relo to Knoxville/Tellico Lake at some point in the future.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Road Trip - July 3rd 2003/06/28 22:58:46 (permalink)
    OK.. The return from Lex to Louisville---
    Just off I-64, Shelbyville KY (exit 22 I think) Claudia Sanders Dinner House. See the full review on this website. it is a great lunch or dinner stop. Relaxed, genteel,and less than $10 for all items on the menu. Coming from the east (Lexington) get off at the Shelbyville exit. Follow U S 60 west thru town and about 4 miles out on the left. A good sign marks the entrance. Surrounded by horse farms in a beautiful area. Easy return to Westbound I-64 by continuing west on on U S 60 to the next freeway exit.A personal favorite.
    In Louisville. Lynn's Paradise Cafe, Great breakfast's ,good lunch's. In Town but fairly easy to get too. Very busy for weekend breakfasts. See Stern's review on this site . Also worth a stop. Very Casual, right down to the plaster animals all over the parking area.

If you haven't done Cincinnati-style Chili then take time to visit one of the hundreds of Chili Parlors around the Cincinnati area. You can find one at almost any freeway exit on I-75.
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Road Trip - July 3rd 2003/06/28 23:41:39 (permalink)
    I'll Atest to what the Mayor said. Pointed me to both them places at Easter
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1