Road Trip Reports and Notes-

Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15272
2003/06/01 17:20:11 (permalink)

Road Trip Reports and Notes-

I noticed that we are getting indiviual trip reports on various threads, and thought I would begin one where we can do a log, diary, or just trip notes on a road trip we have completed. I like the way the Baseball report was done, and the Kansas-Indy trip also. So here goes my report for the week of 5/26-5/31.
We had planned to wander from Louisville to Cairo IL then up the Mississippi River to somewhere in Iowa/Wisconsin before turning East to visit my daughter in Baraboo,WI. 2 days with the kids looking at Lighthouses in the Green Bay area, then home on a one-day marathon using the Interstates.
Well, I learned that answering a cell phone is a no-no while on a wandering tour. Shortly after eating at Shemwell's BBQ in Cairo,IL (rate it 4 on a 10 scale)(dirty beyond 'folksy') We got a call from one of my sons in Phoenix,AZ, who needed help moving back to Louisville...right away... So taking a left turn at St Louis we headed for AZ via Ok City, Amarillo, and Albuquerque. We did find time to stop in Amarillo at Dyers BBQ (Exit 68B) (Rate it 8 on a 10 Scale) Great ribs, very good Pork Loin instead of shoulder,good Brisket. The sausage tasted like Hillshire Farms. Blackberry Cobbler was really good. Beans, Potato Salad, Slaw,Onion Rings- made on the spot- toast and Apricot sauce in addition to the TX hot BBQ sauces
After loading the Penske truck...tying on the tow dollies and stuffing his wife and kids into my vehicle, Janet and I drove the Rental and off we went. We took the tribe back to Dyer's on the way thru Amarillo. The dinner rush was on, and two cranky kids lowered the service level we received (can't blame the help for not wanting to hear a 3 yr old bellow) so I would give it a 6 out of 10 this time...due to the slower service . We limped into Louisville Friday evening...4000 miles in 5 days. Looking forward to another attempt at a leisurely trip up-the-river later this summer.
The Henderson,KY Blues and BBQ festival will be in a couple of weeks, and we will wander down to eat and enjoy the music for a day or two. That's the report for a lot of miles... AND way too Many Subways.
AL

6 Replies Related Threads

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Road Trip Reports and Notes- 2003/06/01 19:00:02 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor,
    I'm sorry to hear that your Shemwell's experience was such. Apparently the place is considered to be a major highlight of Cairo, and with it in such relative disarray, I can only imagine what the poor town is like (I haven't learned how to move symbols yet, so we'll have to do without one this time!). Gracious.
    Report back to us on the state of mutton in Henderson. Whose black dip is the best? Or should I go to Owensboro instead?? Or to lovely Evansville, where someone local tells me there are two good BBQ places, both off the beaten track???
    Curiouser Than A Cat At The Moment, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Road Trip Reports and Notes- 2003/06/01 19:31:02 (permalink)
    I think you put it quite well, The Cairo BBQ place was the high point of a run-down,economically depressed community. It was that way in Civil War Days and apparently has not improved over the years.
    I will report on Henderson...and ALWAY recommend Owensboro! For those who haven't tried Mutton as a BBQ staple. Please do someday. While it has a much stronger flavor than pork, or even beef, it takes the smoke very well. I like it...in small servings. Pork is still my meat of choice at a real BBQ meal. Moonlite offers it in chunks and chopped(minced?) as well as with the bone there (ribs)
    Check the Stern's reviews of the Evansville BBQ taverens..They are worth a stop also.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Road Trip Reports and Notes- 2003/06/01 19:52:39 (permalink)
    Dear Al - After earlier this afternoon reading of the demise of half of your "Georgia Jet" sweet potato crop, I am surely sorry to now read that your planned trip up the Mississippi was disrupted by the necessity for your assisting children and grandchildren in relocating from Phoenix. I surely hope that in the near future you all will be able to make the Mississippi River trip and visit the daughter in WI. Being from Louisville, I'm certain that you are well familiar with The Moonlighter in Owensboro (who isn't) and with one of my all time favorite towns and restaurants (New Harmony, IN, and The Red Geranium there). I would just mention two other restaurants in case you might not be familar with them. One is the Lottawatta Grill (just off I-64 to the north) in one of the far east Illinois suburbs of St. Louis (either O'Fallon or Fairview Heights and I'm nearly certain its Fairview Heights). It has a lot of good food and has the best stuffed mushrooms and dip appetizer that I've ever eaten. Its so good and the order is such a huge size that it makes the entire meal for me if I'm there alone and if there with others, we've got to have that as an appetizer. The other place is probably my favorite restaurant in the entire United States - Cunetto's House of Pasta "on the hill" in St. Louis. Really no entrees there to specifically recommend as all are so wonderful. I know Cunetto's Pronza Salad (with anchovies for me) is my all time anywhere favorite salad. Even if one is a nonsmoker like me, its worth sitting in the back in the smoking section if one can get Daniella, a native of Venice, Italy, as waitress, but any area and any server in the lovely restaurant is fine. The only bad thing about Cunetto's is its popularity. If you are not there when it opens and so can get in on the first seating for either lunch or dinner, its best to wait an hour or so and try to get there when first seating begins to clear out (and this doesn't always work). Anyway, its nearly worth a 7 hour drive to St. Louis just to get anything from Cunetto's and some Lottawatta mushrooms. Wishing you future good travels and good eating experiences. Liketo
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13494
    RE: Road Trip Reports and Notes- 2003/06/02 07:25:12 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor: Sorry your trip was disrupted, but that is the price you pay for having kids and loving them. I guess similar things happen to all of us who have children. I liked your BBQ story and was anxious to hear about your river trip. Maybe next time???

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Road Trip Reports and Notes- 2003/06/02 07:34:03 (permalink)
    Thanks Paul. Congratulations on Your Triple Star Rating!! How was the JUNGLE JIM'S visit? Give us your grocery list from that stop !!!
    AL
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13494
    RE: Road Trip Reports and Notes- 2003/06/02 07:46:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Thanks Paul. Congratulations on Your Triple Star Rating!! How was the JUNGLE JIM'S visit? Give us your grocery list from that stop !!!
    AL

Thanks for the tip on Jungle Jim's. Sort of like a grocery store Disney World. I did no buy a great deal as I was heading toward Springfield, OH for a week and then on to Minneapolis for a meeting.

First time I ever had instant homemade peanut butter. Great wine and liquor selection. Super cheese selection. I wanted to buy a lot, but did not have a place to keep it. I will be back.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1