Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA

Author
Lisajo
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
2011/04/11 10:20:04 (permalink)

Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA

Back in February, we took a road trip to Social Circle, GA to have lunch at the Blue Willow Inn Restaurant.
http://bluewillowinn.com/

Southern home cooking, buffet style and they have the best fried chicken in the south, per Ric! 

][image]http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/%3Ca%20href=" alt="" />

[image]http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/%3Ca%20href=" alt="" /> 

Ric had fried chicken, green beans, mac and cheese, ham and a salad;

I had fried chicken, roast and mashed potatoes, mac and cheese with lima beans;

Ric had five different desserts and I help sample them! 

29 Replies Related Threads

Lisajo
    Hamburger
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/11 10:24:15 (permalink)
    Not sure what happened to the pictures, they were there before I posted my report!  Sorry!!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/11 11:16:15 (permalink)
    I went to Blue Willow a few years back.
    The chicken dumpling soup I had was very good, the peach cobbler was also very good ( but not the best I've had) and everything else was just "ok" but would not motivate me to go back
    MellowRoast
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/11 11:42:01 (permalink)
    Lisajo, I can't get pictures posted here either.  Don't feel like The Lone Ranger.  Or even Annie Oakley for that matter.
    Lisajo
    Hamburger
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/11 12:33:20 (permalink)
    Well, tried several more times to get pic to show up, but no luck.  Not sure what I am doing wrong.  Thanks MellowRoast, I am feeling a little stupid!!  LOL

Wanderingjew; they still have the chicken dumpling soup and it was very good!  They make the peach cobbler by the vat I think! 

MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/11 12:48:36 (permalink)
    Don't feel stupid.  Feel initiated!  Baha!
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/11 14:59:12 (permalink)
    The only time I've successfully posted pictures here were the ones loaded to my picasa account at google that have a web address ending in .jpg.  If you tell it to load an image hosted anywhere, but the URL in quotes does not actually end in .jpg, then this forum won't show the picture.

The more I try these big southern places, the less satisfied I am with their legacy.  I like Blue Willow Inn just fine, but it is a pretty steep ticket for food that is not assured of being fresh.  Some of what they do, like the fried green tomatoes, really is amazing, and some of it is from the Sysco truck.

As the place has been in bad financial state for some time, and that's with a constant weekend crowd and high meal prices, I wonder what they're paying to maintain that big house that might be cutting into their bottom line...?
    Food_Fan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 139
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/12 18:32:13 (permalink)
    Lisajo,

You're using the wrong code for your pictures. The code you should use starts with [IMG] or [img] and ends with [/IMG] or [/img]. It's called BBCode

This is an example that states that it is an image [IMG] which is followed by the location of the image (the Internet address) which is followed with [/IMG] that denotes the end of the code line with the / before IMG. There should be no spaces on any BBCode line. 
    It's a picture that I keep on Tinypic.com. I'm putting spaces into the code, that way the picture won't display here and you can see what the correct code looks like.

[IMG] http:  //i53.tinypic  .com/2lw546f.jpg [/IMG]

As Heartbreaksoup said, notice the .jpeg  which states that it is a JPEG image.

Good luck with your pictures.  I used BBCode to make the preceding "bold" by placing [ b ] at the start and [ / b ] at the end of the sentence. Note that I had to put spaces between the bracketed b's and the brackets to keep them from making everything in-between them "bold" in this sentence.

By the way; I keep my pictures on Image Shack, Photo Bucket, Tinypic. At these free photo hosts the IMG codes and more are displayed for each picture you select.
    post edited by Food_Fan - 2011/04/12 18:40:07
    Lisajo
    Hamburger
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/13 16:53:18 (permalink)
    Thanks Heartbreaksoup and Food Fan, I did try the Photo Bucket site, and they would not work either although I was not looking at the jpeg, etc., but just clicking on the url and trying to insert.  Will try again with the pics because they came out great!
    Food_Fan
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/15 02:57:08 (permalink)
    Lisajo, 
    What do you mean by "...just clicking on the url and trying to insert"?

Please describe exactly how you try to copy the IMG code from Photo Bucket and paste it into your post.

1. You joined Photo Bucket.
    2. You uploaded your pictures to Photo Bucket.
    3. You're at your album on Photo Bucket & looking at your pictures. What do you do next?
    4. ?
    5. ?
    6. ?
    Etc.?
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/15 08:18:31 (permalink)
    If one uses the Roadfood.com Insert/edit image button that is at the top of the Reply window with those [img] codes, it will not work.  Just the URL of the jpeg image is needed.
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/15 09:21:48 (permalink)
    Hopefully this will work... what I've done is pulled up my Picasa album, which is where I store all the images for my blog, "Marie, Let's Eat!"  There's a URL address for the picture itself, which is:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0SM8BdbIdwJiBAE2IzRIRgqkmr4v7kknUIN5JKszhdc?feat=directlink

But that's not going to allow me to post the photo.  In the icons above me on the posting window, there's one that looks like a little picture of a tree.  It's underneath the Font size selection and next to the little picture of binoculars ("Find").  If I select, from Picasa, the specific code to embed the actual image, I get this code:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_MqYsHWQ7fo4/TH-ibrmEzpI/AAAAAAAAA4c/SoB5wK3EJ_k/s800/08%20BWI%2001.jpg

And when I click the little tree picture, I get another pop-up box asking me for the URL.  Stick it there, and it automatically inserts the picture, which in this case is a plate of lovely food from Blue Willow Inn, awfully photographed by myself.
    (I'll have a little egg on my face if this durnt work...)

Try that, and your pictures will, ideally, appear!
    Food_Fan
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/15 12:03:04 (permalink)
    Lisajo,
    I've never used the method that Miami Don described. I build my post in MS Word using the IMG code from the photo hosts and copy and paste it by clicking on the leftmost folder Icon on the "open full version" full version. "Quick reply" does NOT have that function. The full version has the 3rd way of pasting a message onto this forum. I've never seen that anywhere else. On a normal forum you just right click & paste.

Any word processing program will work this way. 

When you click on that Icon it asks you if you want to give access to your computer. Click yes and the post, with the IMG code, that is specifically designed for forums, will "Paste" to the page.

I don't use the other 2 "Folder" Icons because they've produced garbage in the past. 

I'll try using that "Insert/edit image" button that's on "Quick reply" now and see how it works. I'll copy the "Direct Link" URL from the drop down menu that's on each picture on Photo Bucket. To copy that URL on Photo Bucket LEFT CLICK on it and it is automatically copied. Photo Bucket is unique in that respect. Then click the "Insert/edit image" button on the "Quick reply" button and paste into the pop up window line.

On that "Quick reply" window I'm forced to "Paste as Plain Text" or "Paste from Word". I'll try the latter and see what happens. With it's pop up and "Control V" action, it's a pain in the neck. That's why I don't normally use it.

Well, it looks like it worked.
    I've been on a lot of forums and have my own and none of them use such weird convoluted actions. 
    post edited by Food_Fan - 2011/04/15 12:13:28
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10425
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/15 12:33:08 (permalink)
    Lisajo-
    Hopefully you are able to get the photo posting issues behind you.  I am a big fan of Blue Willow Inn and would love to see your pics. 
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/15 13:47:10 (permalink)
    There is a whole tread here on Roadfood about posting pictures:

http://www.roadfood.com/F...-A-How-To-m322596.aspx
    Food_Fan
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/15 15:53:05 (permalink)
    Lisajo, 
    If you go to that Road Food link that kland0s1 posted ignore the UncleVic post. Flickr DOES NOT provide codes any more. The only way that you can share your pictures from Flickr in by adding a name the example below and thereby create a permanent link to ALL your pictures that are on Flickr 

h h t t p://flicker . com /whatever name you want/

Read the post by Davydd

I uploaded pictures to Flickr once. I won't ever again because they don't give you the codes.

post edited by Food_Fan - 2011/04/15 16:13:50
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/16 17:38:06 (permalink)
    food_fan, where are those wrinkled up dogs in that pic from?
    Food_Fan
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/16 18:27:15 (permalink)
    skbob,
    Yeah, they look pretty funny.

Those dogs were sitting in my trunk for 4 hours before I got them home to take the pictures. I included them in a report on Greco Roma Pizza & Grill in Kenilworth, NJ that's on P. 52 of the New Jersey Hot Dog thread.

This is the page: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/New-Jersey-Hot-Dogs-m440-p52.aspx

I always get food to go because I don't want to inconvenience people by asking them to let me take pictures of the food before they package it so I state in the posts how long it was before I got the food home to take the pictures.

The pictures of the Out of This World Hot Dogs, also on P. 52, were taken around 5 minutes after purchase.

You can see the difference between the 5 minute old Thumann's dog from Out of This World and the +/- 2 hr. old and 4 hr. old Thumann's hot dogs from Greco Roma on that page.

Out of This World is above the Greco Roma post.

post edited by Food_Fan - 2011/04/16 19:45:56
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/20 10:56:47 (permalink)
    Food_Fan 
    I uploaded pictures to Flickr once. I won't ever again because they don't give you the codes.

Not really true, you just have to be willing to go 'round the barn.  If you go to a flickr picture page and see the icons to send it to Facebook, etc. there's a little down arrow next to them.  If you click on the down arrow, you get the forum code, which is about five lines long.  If you copy that and paste it into the little tree icon here, you will get the picture, embedded among a bunch of that same code which is now useless.  I just clean up the code bits I don't want and leave the picture.  I'm still using flickr.

I'd love to see your pictures too Lisajo!
    Food_Fan
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/20 17:55:27 (permalink)
    Nancypalooza, 
            I've seen that before and it looks like a mishmash of codes all grouped together. I played with it for a while and discovered that the first 2 lines are the picture and the bottom 2 lines produce the title with links to the picture and to your Flickr "About" page. 
            If you want you can use that whole code and insert it by way of the tree icon "Insert" button you will end up with the picture and whatever title you gave it along with your user name on Flickr. If you use only the top 2 lines just the picture alone will show. If you use only the bottom 2 lines just the title with links to the picture and your "About" page will show. Like this:

Di Napoli meatball pie by Veritas155, on Flickr

People will then have access to your Flickr photostream.

You CAN chop the IMG code out of it but don't forget to delete the [/url] at the end of it or it will be either next to or under the picture.

This was an interesting learning experience for me but I think I'll stick with the simple copy & paste of the IMG code that the other sites provide.
    post edited by Food_Fan - 2011/04/21 04:08:33
    Lisajo
    Hamburger
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/20 18:32:14 (permalink)
    Wow, have not been able to check out Roadfood for the last week and did not realize all the support out here!  I have a three day weekend coming up and will go thru this and try the pics again!  I want to get this down so we can post more pictures!  Thanks everyone!
    Lisajo
    Hamburger
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/21 15:53:07 (permalink)
    Ok, I will now attempt to insert these darned pics:

After looking at the preview window, looks like the pictures are there.  Thanks everyone for all your intput (I guess it really does take a village!)  In the end, I used Nancypalooza's method because I was used to Flicker, but did not realize that I had to "clean up" the code.  And did not know about the code ending in jpg.  So hopefully this works!!
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/21 16:43:10 (permalink)
    Yaaaaaay!  That's the Blue Willow I know.  I will always have a soft spot for the Blue Willow because that's the place I was introduced to pineapple casserole, a thing which I could have never dreamed up in a million years.  Gorgeous pictures Lisa!
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 902
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/22 00:12:57 (permalink)
    Victory! Glad you got it working, Lisajo!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8496
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/22 04:16:12 (permalink)
    The pictures were well worth waiting for!
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/24 22:15:12 (permalink)
    As far as I'm concerned the Blue Willow Inn is the best Southern restaurant that I've ever eaten in.  When I joined roadfooders in February last year for the Glee Club meeting in Charleston, on my journey I went well out of my way to eat here.  This place draws me like a magnet.  And everything here is good.  I've never had a bad dish here yet.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10425
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/28 15:40:45 (permalink)
    Lisajo-
    Sorry I didn't see this before, but way to go on getting the photos added!  They look really good and it was worth the wait and effort!  Blue Willow Inn is one of my favorite places in the South.
    Lisajo
    Hamburger
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/29 17:17:07 (permalink)
    Thanks, BB, and thanks to everyones in put.  I would never have figured it out with all the help!  Can't wait to do another roadtrip!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4077
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/04/29 18:07:27 (permalink)
    The pictures certainly add a lot. The building itself looks exactly like what I would expect a place there to look like. If the mac and cheese is as good as it looks from the picture----oh yum! 
    Lisajo
    Hamburger
    Re:Road Trip to Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle GA 2011/05/02 16:56:59 (permalink)
    EdSails, the mac and cheese is very good, too bad it is a 3 hour drive for us!  We would eat there more often.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1