The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Road food Australia

MoBob

• Total Posts: 82
Road food Australia Sun, 05/4/03 5:13 PM (permalink)
Although the ultimate "RoadFood" has to be the Meat Pies (ground beef & gravy baked in pastry), they also have a sandwich called a bender I wish you could find in the states. They take a hot dog and make little slices in one side so it will "bend" and curl in a hamburger bun with cheese & mustard then heat it so the cheese seals it. Man, it was good. Might go over well here if some Roadfoad entrepreneur would take a chance.

topferment

• Total Posts: 79
    RE: Road food Australia Mon, 05/5/03 1:41 AM (permalink)
    MoBob, are you talking about slicing the hotdog lengthwise almost all the way through the frank and then grilling or pan frying it so it will fit on a hamburger bun? We will do this to our hotdogs if we have run out of hotdog buns(or forgot to buy them) so the franks will fit on sliced bread or a hamburger bun. If you really add on the toppings this is often a less messy way to eat your hotdog.

MoBob

• Total Posts: 82
      RE: Road food Australia Mon, 05/5/03 4:04 PM (permalink)
      No not the American way you describe. I've eat fried Hot Dogs that way all my life.
      What they do is make 10 to 12 "nicks" in the dog all along one side. Then curl it so it fits the hamburger bun, smother it in cheese then steam the whole thing in some machine for a few minutes and the melted cheese seals the bun together. Thats the basic bender. You can customize it with comdiments like mustard or onions and it's made to order because after it's cooked it's hard to open.

topferment

• Total Posts: 79
        RE: Road food Australia Tue, 05/6/03 11:49 PM (permalink)
        Sounds good. I'd like to try one if I ever come across one done that way.

wesza

• Total Posts: 54
          RE: Road food Australia Wed, 08/6/03 1:58 AM (permalink)
          MoBob: The original Bender , is still being featured where it was invented, by the Buddy of Spinich eating "Popeye" the Sailor Man. It happened when they opened the original "WIMPY'S" Burger/Sandwich Shoppes by Lyon's Corner House Restaurant's in England. Opened franchises in Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia and New Zeland. Was sold, bought out and resold. There is still over 200 in England, All serving there version of the "Bender". Frankfauter, slash/cut with a special cutter. Deep Fried. Put on Round Burger Bun with tomato slice and slice of cheese. I never liked them because frank's were Canned from Danish Supplier. How similar is this to your Australian "Bender"?

Rapunzll

• Total Posts: 314
            RE: Road food Australia Sun, 02/29/04 10:48 AM (permalink)
            I have never been to OZ, but knew a lot of Aussies when I lived in Indonesia, the one thing they make that I would highly recommend to anyone going over to OZ, or NZ for that matter, is Pavlova, which is probably the best dessert ever!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com