Road trip from NJ to Nola

Author
jonnyzro
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
2008/08/15 15:02:20 (permalink)

Road trip from NJ to Nola

I will be taking a road trip around December moving my girlfriend down from New Jersey to here in New Orleans. I will be starting in the Clifton area so I know that I will finally get to sample the Rut Hut and the Hot Grill. 2 of the places on my "Dog Bucket List".

I did a yahoo map of the trip and it looks like we will be traveling through PA, VA, TN, AL, MS and then Nola.

This will not be a long leisurly trip so I would like to take a route that will make for the best dog consumption and sampling and still get me home in 3 days.

I would love to hear from people along that route or anyone that can reccomend the best places.

15 Replies Related Threads

John Sagi
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 146
    RE: Road trip from NJ to Nola 2008/08/15 15:49:01 (permalink)
    jonny

You'll need to let everyone know what towns you'll be going through.
    Take pictures of the front of the business and the completed hot dog before
    eating it. It's amazing, but it seems like every dog joint has its own signature
    hot dog (excluding the plain dog and bun). I have almost 200 hot dog images from different establishments and no 2 dogs with a topping are the same. Even your dirty water dogs with chili
    have a slight difference.

Good Luck
    John
    GNeedles59
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: Road trip from NJ to Nola 2008/08/15 15:58:06 (permalink)
    Charlie's Pool Room in alpha NJ, it is actually right on the way you wanna go. It is def. one of a kind.

jonnyzro
    Junior Burger
    RE: Road trip from NJ to Nola 2008/08/15 16:42:10 (permalink)
    Man thats great! I did not realize that Charlie's was on my way. It really sucks that I will be in the hot dog capital of the world and not be able to try all of the places in NJ that I have read about.

I do plan on keeping a photo diary of all of the places that I visit.

Thanks guys, thats just what I need. Lots of ideas.
    Benzee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1877
    RE: Road trip from NJ to Nola 2008/08/15 20:41:34 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

I second Charlies Pool Room !!
    Also if you have but a few to go to .
    Jimmy Buffs East Hanover is right off the interstate and Rutts Hutt is also a must , to me anyway .

Charlies is one of a kind and I can still taste the secret Hungarian sauce that Grandma Fenzc used to make , Fantastic!!!!!!

Interesting to know if John had to pick only three what he will tell you . What do you think buddy ?

Benzee

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6271
    RE: Road trip from NJ to Nola 2008/08/15 20:57:05 (permalink)
    Rutts Hutt for a Jersey deep fried superior dog!!!
    jonnyzro
    Junior Burger
    RE: Road trip from NJ to Nola 2008/08/16 01:40:13 (permalink)
    Rutts has always been on my list. I can't believe that I will actually get to smaple one soon. Here in New Orleans I can only read about good dogs.

I am dying just thinking about all of the good eats that I will find on this trip.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2336
    RE: Road trip from NJ to Nola 2008/08/17 09:57:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Benzee

Interesting to know if John had to pick only three what he will tell you . What do you think buddy ?

Benzee

It's tough to pick only 3, especially when there are so many styles of dogs as well as ways of preparing them. Not to mention the different chilis. Most of the time I like just mustard on my dog, but occasionally crave a chili dog or a Rutt's Hut dog with their unique relish. I usually eat what I'm in the mood for.

For 3, I would first have to include Jimmy Buff's East Hanover. They are not only the originator of the Italian Hot Dog, but they make the Syd's dog, which is my favorite dog, with a unique twist. One that I've come to love. They saute a natural casing 5 to a lb Best's dog, then chargrill it. Excellent.

Second would be Jerry's Famous Frankfurters in Elizabeth. Excellent dog, close to my home, and the place where I've eaten more hot dogs than any other spot. An 8 to a lb Best dog (w/casing) boiled, then finished off in a steel compartment. This results in a tasty, juicy dog with a prefect texture, casing, and blend of spices. I can easily eat 5 or 6.

I cannot pick a third. Depending on my mood, it could be Galloping Hill Inn, Rutt's Hutt, Papaya King, Father & Son, Manny's, Pappy's Diner, Libby's, Karl Ehmer's, The Windmill, Max's, Tommy's, Hiram's, Rosco's, Dee's, Amazing Hot Dog, Bubba's Dog House, Charlies Pool Room, Toby's Cup, Middlesex Texas Weiner, Glenwood Drive In, Pete's in Newburgh, Coney Island Restaurant (Middletown, N.Y), Tony's Truck. Or others.
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1877
    RE: Road trip from NJ to Nola 2008/08/17 10:07:14 (permalink)
    Great post John ,

I almost forgot about Jerrys in Elizabeth a great dog .
    And you can also hit the Italian Dog Place next to it too ( Tommys?)

Benzee
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Road trip from NJ to Nola 2008/08/17 10:41:34 (permalink)

Sounds like you are SOL after you pass the Mason/Dixon Line if you read another thread about hotdogs in the south. Stick with the ribs and BBQ.

mark
    jonnyzro
    Junior Burger
    RE: Road trip from NJ to Nola 2008/08/18 14:40:47 (permalink)
    This trip is looking better and better. I just found out that my gf also lives within driving distance of Amazing. So, now I get to visit Rutts, Hot Grill, Amazing and Charlie's all within a 2 day period. I was also thinking of flying in a day earlier so I could drive up to Coney Island. Looks like I may get to visit 5 of the places on my list.
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Road trip from NJ to Nola 2008/08/19 08:30:20 (permalink)
    Jonny, assuming you ever get out of New Jersey here are some spots along I-81 in Virginia. Remember, having just left the Mecca of dogdome these will not be up to NJ standards but they're preety good for Southern dogs.

From North to South along I-81:

exit 247, Harrisonburg
    - Jess' Lunch is an institution here. Very good chili dog $1.25.
    - Sam's is a small primarily WV chain. Very good chili/slaw dog $1.25 or 5 for $5.00. I get the hot chili. Drive up only. GET EXTRA NAPKINS.

exit 73, Wytheville
    - Skeeter's has a respectable dog. Get it with everything.

exit 39, Chilhowie ?
    - the Dip Dog is battered and deep fried. I've never been there (although longing to), but folks love them.

Enjoy your trip.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6271
    RE: Road trip from NJ to Nola 2008/08/19 08:33:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jonnyzro

This trip is looking better and better. I just found out that my gf also lives within driving distance of Amazing. So, now I get to visit Rutts, Hot Grill, Amazing and Charlie's all within a 2 day period. I was also thinking of flying in a day earlier so I could drive up to Coney Island. Looks like I may get to visit 5 of the places on my list.

If youo to Coney Island,hop over to Manhattan for some of the BEST pizza in the world...check roadfood threads for some suggestions and reviews and pick one!!!
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: Road trip from NJ to Nola 2008/08/19 10:58:54 (permalink)

Tell me you are stopping for some leisure, other than 3 days worth of hot dogs. LOL

Does your girlfriend like hot dogs?
    jonnyzro
    Junior Burger
    RE: Road trip from NJ to Nola 2008/08/19 12:00:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reccomendations Doug. I am putting them on my map.

My gf likes a good hotdog from time to time but does not embrace them like I do. And having grown up around all of these places she has kinda taken them for granted. I think she is surprised at how excited I am about eating at a hole in the wall that she passes everyday, lol.

I told her she only has to endure it until we get to the Mason Dixon.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: Road trip from NJ to Nola 2008/08/19 12:10:58 (permalink)
    Careful, Jonny.

The last thing we need to start a debate about is "girlfriends do not embrace hot dogs" hot topic. LOL

Enjoy your trip back home to NJ, and a safe trip for you and your "good sport of a girlfriend" to your new home.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1