Roadfood Adventures in Ohio

Author
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3737
2007/08/19 22:05:26 (permalink)

Roadfood Adventures in Ohio

I checked into hotel in Columbus Ohio to meet a good friend from Green Bay, WI. Got a call and was told that she could not make it due to unforeseen circumstances. I fretted a bit and then decided to call a fellow roadfooder in the area and what a terrific adventure it turned out to be. There is nothing like a real mini roadfood get together.

During the course of a week, I was taken to some great roadfood places. Breakfast at Waffle House with the cheerful "Good Morning" is a great way to start the day and their breakfast burrito was the best that I had ever had...............served piping hot and really delicious.

I also was introduced to my first White Castle and that was such fun.......................absolutely wonderful and could have gone back every day.

Breakfast at the Grill and Skillet in Bexley was also great. My poached eggs were overcooked but the hash was good and the rye toast was outstanding.

A real fun roadfood trip was driving forever to go to Crabill's for their mini burgers. Now this is roadfood at it's best. You sit at the counter where there are eight stools. We got the last two seats and considered ourselves so fortunate. Listening to the conversation, we understood that business was slow due to the extremely hot weather. Watching the 3 women working on the grill with each doing her own job was so much fun. I loved it when one of the women would put your order down directly on these paper sheets. The burgers were so good; the texture of the meat was outstanding. It was fun to have them look over at you and say "Would you like a few more?"............... I would have to rate this A-1 as a Roadfood destination.

We also enjoyed a couple of upscale meals; one at Scali Ristorante http://www.scaliristorante.com/dinner_menu_2.html where I had a wonderful shrimp dish which I would like to duplicate at home. This was a lovely meal with some outstanding wine.

A great place that we had lunch was the Cap City Diner in Gahanna which is the most unlike a diner that I have ever been in, http://www.capcityfinediner.com/cmr/files/content/Cap-BluePlates1006.pdf We had the calves liver which was perfectly done and outstanding. My appetizer of P.E.I. mussels transported me back to Maine and Prince Edward Island with their wonderful briny taste.

I also tried to eat a Beanie Burger at Gahanna Grill. This "monster consisted of a huge hand shaped (sticking far beyond the bun) hamburger patty, topped with bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato, grilled onions and homemade slaw. It is not for the faint-hearted. My fellow roadfooder was wise enough to go for a more modest hamburger so that he could laugh at my attempt at eating this 4 inch high creation.............very delicious and loved it. The Sterns really need to try this place.

I was invited for a couple of wonderful meals cooked at home by my host. His fettucine with a sauce consisting of butter, olive oil, garlic, heavy cream and grated parmagiano reggiano was just unbelievably good and along with the veal marsala was not a dieter's delight.

Many thanks to my host for showing me his "world of Roadfood" and turning my trip into a great adventure. You are a good guy, MH!

8 Replies Related Threads

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4594
    RE: Roadfood Adventures in Ohio 2007/08/19 22:47:13 (permalink)
    and here we all thought he was nothing but a 200 year old curmudgeon :-)

way to go, MH!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10390
    RE: Roadfood Adventures in Ohio 2007/08/19 23:06:24 (permalink)
    Greymo-
    I'm glad you had such a good time in Ohio and thanks for the report. I am just surprised to hear there is room behind the counter at Crabill's for three to work. When I ate there, one man was doing it all.

There used to be a Cap City Diner here in Pittsburgh, but it unfortunately went under. Too bad, because it was quite good.
    Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Roadfood Adventures in Ohio 2007/08/20 00:32:40 (permalink)
    Wow, you ate with THE Mr Hoffman? Wooooo.....

Good report. Sounded like you had some wonderful roadfood.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18629
    RE: Roadfood Adventures in Ohio 2007/08/20 11:11:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

and here we all thought he was nothing but a 200 year old curmudgeon :-)

way to go, MH!

He is nothing but a 200 year old curmudgeon.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Roadfood Adventures in Ohio 2007/08/20 11:14:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

Greymo-
    I'm glad you had such a good time in Ohio and thanks for the report. I am just surprised to hear there is room behind the counter at Crabill's for three to work. When I ate there, one man was doing it all.

Actually, there was just one woman working the grill with her twin spatulas. The other two were assembling the burgers on either side of her and serving them.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10390
    RE: Roadfood Adventures in Ohio 2007/08/20 11:36:31 (permalink)
    Michael-
    Now that I think back to my visit to Crabill's, I do remember there was another person in the back, but they were doing different food preparation stuff. The one man on the grill was doing the grilling, taking orders and serving. Of course, there was only me and one other customer in there at the time. It would be incredibly difficult for one person to do everything when they are busy.
    bosco lover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Roadfood Adventures in Ohio 2007/09/01 18:57:54 (permalink)
    thanks for the trip report. i go to gahanna ohio twice a year to visit in-laws who only go to chain restaurants. we'll have to sneak off and try cap city diner when we're up there at christmas
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Roadfood Adventures in Ohio 2007/09/01 22:11:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bosco lover

thanks for the trip report. i go to gahanna ohio twice a year to visit in-laws who only go to chain restaurants. we'll have to sneak off and try cap city diner when we're up there at christmas

If they live in Gahanna and havn't been to the Gahanna Grill for a Beanie burger they've been missing out.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1