The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Roadfood Age Requirements

Author Message
EliseT

  • Total Posts: 2849
  • Joined: 7/11/2001
  • Location: L.A, CA
Roadfood Age Requirements Wed, 11/12/03 5:37 AM (permalink)
How old does a place have to be before it qualifies as "Roadfood"?

The 1950s seem to be the golden era for determining whether a place will be great. If it has managed to stay in business that long, there must be a reason!

I've noticed some places mentioned here that I remember opened in the 1980s. I thought to myself that they were too new to qualify, then I realized that was already 20 years ago, and I had to sit down for awhile.
 
#1
    i95

    • Total Posts: 2500
    • Joined: 7/14/2003
    • Location: Sin City, VA
    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements Wed, 11/12/03 7:00 AM (permalink)
    Good question but I'm note sure that time (or length of time) is synonymous with quality. If an independently-operated hash house opened today promising quality fare, low prices and a surly waitstaff, I'd be there for lunch at 11:30 am !
     
    #2
      Mayhaw Man

      • Total Posts: 589
      • Joined: 7/5/2003
      • Location: Abita Springs, LA
      RE: Roadfood Age Requirements Wed, 11/12/03 8:33 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by EliseT

      How old does a place have to be before it qualifies as "Roadfood"?




      Old enough to buy beer?
       
      #3
        dendan

        • Total Posts: 479
        • Joined: 10/30/2003
        • Location: Hickory, NC
        RE: Roadfood Age Requirements Wed, 11/12/03 8:39 AM (permalink)
        I agree that time open is not a qualifier of a quality Roadfood eatery. I agree i95! Cheers Mayhaw!
         
        #4
          scbuzz

          • Total Posts: 844
          • Joined: 3/7/2003
          • Location: Sumter, SC
          RE: Roadfood Age Requirements Wed, 11/12/03 9:45 AM (permalink)
          My only requirement is that the place has been open long enough to have the wait staff and the cooks properly trained !!!
           
          #5
            tiki

            • Total Posts: 4135
            • Joined: 7/7/2003
            • Location: Rentiesville, OK
            RE: Roadfood Age Requirements Wed, 11/12/03 12:27 PM (permalink)
            absolutely agree with the whole bunch of you! I have no problem being the first satisfied customer for any independant thats nuts enough to open a place and give it a real shot.
             
            #6
              stanpnepa

              • Total Posts: 577
              • Joined: 11/23/2001
              • Location: Wyoming (Scranton/Wi, PA
              RE: Roadfood Age Requirements Wed, 11/12/03 1:37 PM (permalink)
              For atmosphere, it's more than often "the older, the better"...but for me it's 90% about the food and that knows no specific time.

              Special bonus points must be awarded though to places that have been doing it SO well for 50-125 years (LOUIS LUNCH, SNAPPY LUNCH, PHILIPPE'S).


               
              #7
                mayor al

                • Total Posts: 15073
                • Joined: 8/20/2002
                • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Roadfood Age Requirements Wed, 11/12/03 2:15 PM (permalink)
                Hey Stan,
                What does that do to McDonalds ? Its gonna be 50 yrs old this winter.....
                 
                #8
                  1bbqboy

                  • Total Posts: 4542
                  • Joined: 11/20/2000
                  • Location: Rogue Valley
                  RE: Roadfood Age Requirements Wed, 11/12/03 2:22 PM (permalink)
                  Am I the only one that saw the topic and assumed Elsie meant the posters? Phew! I couldn't decide if my 51 years made me too old or too young, or as Goldilocks once said,"just right". It's getting harder
                  every day to find places that have been around longer than me.
                   
                  #9
                    i95

                    • Total Posts: 2500
                    • Joined: 7/14/2003
                    • Location: Sin City, VA
                    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements Wed, 11/12/03 2:57 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by EliseT

                    How old does a place have to be before it qualifies as "Roadfood"?

                    The 1950s seem to be the golden era for determining whether a place will be great. If it has managed to stay in business that long, there must be a reason!

                    I've noticed some places mentioned here that I remember opened in the 1980s. I thought to myself that they were too new to qualify, then I realized that was already 20 years ago, and I had to sit down for awhile.


                    You know, after re-looking at this particular post and resulting responses, I've begun to think that EliseT's inquiry was really a "beard" regarding her nupitals and has absolutely NOTHING to do with food.

                    It appears that she's asking in code as to whether she should go forth and marry her "1950s" born suitor has he represents a "golden era"; or whether she should tie the knot with her "1980s" born lover whom she wonders may be "too new to qualify."

                    Folks, we've all been had by this deliberate ruse! And all at the expense of a double-dipping L.A. minx. Personally, I'm annoyed, disgusted and, quite frankly, a little turned-on.

                    You go, girl !!!!!
                     
                    #10
                      spadoman

                      • Total Posts: 228
                      • Joined: 9/22/2003
                      • Location: St. Paul, MN
                      RE: Roadfood Age Requirements Wed, 11/12/03 4:27 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by bill voss

                      Am I the only one that saw the topic and assumed Elsie meant the posters? Phew! I couldn't decide if my 51 years made me too old or too young, or as Goldilocks once said,"just right". It's getting harder
                      every day to find places that have been around longer than me.


                      Bill Voss
                      Me too. I was wonderin' if I was too old or too young to vote!
                       
                      #11
                        i95

                        • Total Posts: 2500
                        • Joined: 7/14/2003
                        • Location: Sin City, VA
                        RE: Roadfood Age Requirements Wed, 11/12/03 4:57 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by clothier

                        That was pretty funny I95, but somehow, I get the feeling Miss Elise has to beat them off with a stick.

                        Nice use of the term minx, though.


                        There's a joke in there somewhere. In the meantime, gracias, clothier.
                         
                        #12
                          stanpnepa

                          • Total Posts: 577
                          • Joined: 11/23/2001
                          • Location: Wyoming (Scranton/Wi, PA
                          RE: Roadfood Age Requirements Wed, 11/12/03 5:36 PM (permalink)
                          McDonald's---Fifty??!! Wow! OK, it's time to confess. I end up at Mickey D's about once a year. Always on really, really bad days. We had layoffs at work last holiday season. It was awful. I often brown bag it, but had to escape that day---to just get away from it all. I was sick, drained. Where did I lunch? Yep...McDonald's. A Big Mac and Fries and an Orange Drink. The meal didn't make me feel any better, but I thought it would. All those old TV commercials obviously made their impression. McDonald's was gonna make it OK.

                          Today is easily the worst day of the year for us. We're building a home and got some crummy land-related news. The wife is out tonight, and I'm trying to decide on dinner. Even before seeing this post, I was thinking about McD's? What is it about McDonald's and the belief it can lift an emotional dirge? Fortunately, there's some pretty good left-over pasta in the fridge. I'll heat it up. Yeah, I'll heat it up. Excuse me.


                           
                          #13
                            EliseT

                            • Total Posts: 2849
                            • Joined: 7/11/2001
                            • Location: L.A, CA
                            RE: Roadfood Age Requirements Wed, 11/12/03 7:49 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by i95

                            quote:
                            Originally posted by EliseT

                            How old does a place have to be before it qualifies as "Roadfood"?

                            The 1950s seem to be the golden era for determining whether a place will be great. If it has managed to stay in business that long, there must be a reason!

                            I've noticed some places mentioned here that I remember opened in the 1980s. I thought to myself that they were too new to qualify, then I realized that was already 20 years ago, and I had to sit down for awhile.


                            You know, after re-looking at this particular post and resulting responses, I've begun to think that EliseT's inquiry was really a "beard" regarding her nupitals and has absolutely NOTHING to do with food.

                            It appears that she's asking in code as to whether she should go forth and marry her "1950s" born suitor has he represents a "golden era"; or whether she should tie the knot with her "1980s" born lover whom she wonders may be "too new to qualify."

                            Folks, we've all been had by this deliberate ruse! And all at the expense of a double-dipping L.A. minx. Personally, I'm annoyed, disgusted and, quite frankly, a little turned-on.

                            You go, girl !!!!!



                            So, subconsciously, everything is really just food to me? Hmmm. But you know, Freud, sometimes a red hot is just a red hot.
                             
                            #14
                              i95

                              • Total Posts: 2500
                              • Joined: 7/14/2003
                              • Location: Sin City, VA
                              RE: Roadfood Age Requirements Wed, 11/12/03 8:16 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by EliseT

                              quote:
                              Originally posted by i95

                              quote:
                              Originally posted by EliseT

                              How old does a place have to be before it qualifies as "Roadfood"?

                              The 1950s seem to be the golden era for determining whether a place will be great. If it has managed to stay in business that long, there must be a reason!

                              I've noticed some places mentioned here that I remember opened in the 1980s. I thought to myself that they were too new to qualify, then I realized that was already 20 years ago, and I had to sit down for awhile.


                              You know, after re-looking at this particular post and resulting responses, I've begun to think that EliseT's inquiry was really a "beard" regarding her nupitals and has absolutely NOTHING to do with food.

                              It appears that she's asking in code as to whether she should go forth and marry her "1950s" born suitor has he represents a "golden era"; or whether she should tie the knot with her "1980s" born lover whom she wonders may be "too new to qualify."

                              Folks, we've all been had by this deliberate ruse! And all at the expense of a double-dipping L.A. minx. Personally, I'm annoyed, disgusted and, quite frankly, a little turned-on.

                              You go, girl !!!!!



                              So, subconsciously, everything is really just food to me? Hmmm. But you know, Freud, sometimes a red hot is just a red hot.


                              ...and sometimes it isn't. - Jung
                               
                              #15
                                Bushie

                                • Total Posts: 2902
                                • Joined: 4/21/2001
                                • Location: Round Rock, TX
                                RE: Roadfood Age Requirements Wed, 11/12/03 10:43 PM (permalink)
                                The Glorious Dumpling has now become a Double Chili Cheeseburger!!!!

                                All Hail EliseT!

                                She adds the most humor to this site. She's one hell of a woman.
                                 
                                #16
                                  EliseT

                                  • Total Posts: 2849
                                  • Joined: 7/11/2001
                                  • Location: L.A, CA
                                  RE: Roadfood Age Requirements Thu, 11/13/03 1:34 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Bushie

                                  The Glorious Dumpling has now become a Double Chili Cheeseburger!!!!

                                  All Hail EliseT!

                                  She adds the most humor to this site. She's one hell of a woman.


                                  Thank you for congratulating such a dubious honor.
                                   
                                  #17
                                    Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                                    Jump to:

                                    Current active users

                                    There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                    Icon Legend and Permission

                                    • New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

                                    2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com