Roadfood Age Requirements

Author
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
2003/11/12 05:37:49 (permalink)

Roadfood Age Requirements

How old does a place have to be before it qualifies as "Roadfood"?

The 1950s seem to be the golden era for determining whether a place will be great. If it has managed to stay in business that long, there must be a reason!

I've noticed some places mentioned here that I remember opened in the 1980s. I thought to myself that they were too new to qualify, then I realized that was already 20 years ago, and I had to sit down for awhile.

16 Replies Related Threads

i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements 2003/11/12 07:00:56 (permalink)
    Good question but I'm note sure that time (or length of time) is synonymous with quality. If an independently-operated hash house opened today promising quality fare, low prices and a surly waitstaff, I'd be there for lunch at 11:30 am !
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements 2003/11/12 08:33:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

Old enough to buy beer?
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements 2003/11/12 08:39:26 (permalink)
    I agree that time open is not a qualifier of a quality Roadfood eatery. I agree i95! Cheers Mayhaw!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements 2003/11/12 09:45:31 (permalink)
    My only requirement is that the place has been open long enough to have the wait staff and the cooks properly trained !!!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements 2003/11/12 12:27:10 (permalink)
    absolutely agree with the whole bunch of you! I have no problem being the first satisfied customer for any independant thats nuts enough to open a place and give it a real shot.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements 2003/11/12 13:37:47 (permalink)
    For atmosphere, it's more than often "the older, the better"...but for me it's 90% about the food and that knows no specific time.

Special bonus points must be awarded though to places that have been doing it SO well for 50-125 years (LOUIS LUNCH, SNAPPY LUNCH, PHILIPPE'S).

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements 2003/11/12 14:15:13 (permalink)
    Hey Stan,
    What does that do to McDonalds ? Its gonna be 50 yrs old this winter.....
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4634
    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements 2003/11/12 14:22:52 (permalink)
    Am I the only one that saw the topic and assumed Elsie meant the posters? Phew! I couldn't decide if my 51 years made me too old or too young, or as Goldilocks once said,"just right". It's getting harder
    every day to find places that have been around longer than me.
    i95
    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements 2003/11/12 14:57:28 (permalink)
    quote:

The 1950s seem to be the golden era for determining whether a place will be great. If it has managed to stay in business that long, there must be a reason!

I've noticed some places mentioned here that I remember opened in the 1980s. I thought to myself that they were too new to qualify, then I realized that was already 20 years ago, and I had to sit down for awhile.

You know, after re-looking at this particular post and resulting responses, I've begun to think that EliseT's inquiry was really a "beard" regarding her nupitals and has absolutely NOTHING to do with food.

It appears that she's asking in code as to whether she should go forth and marry her "1950s" born suitor has he represents a "golden era"; or whether she should tie the knot with her "1980s" born lover whom she wonders may be "too new to qualify."

Folks, we've all been had by this deliberate ruse! And all at the expense of a double-dipping L.A. minx. Personally, I'm annoyed, disgusted and, quite frankly, a little turned-on.

You go, girl !!!!!
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements 2003/11/12 16:27:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

Am I the only one that saw the topic and assumed Elsie meant the posters? Phew! I couldn't decide if my 51 years made me too old or too young, or as Goldilocks once said,"just right". It's getting harder
    every day to find places that have been around longer than me.

Bill Voss
    Me too. I was wonderin' if I was too old or too young to vote!
    i95
    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements 2003/11/12 16:57:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

That was pretty funny I95, but somehow, I get the feeling Miss Elise has to beat them off with a stick.

Nice use of the term minx, though.

There's a joke in there somewhere. In the meantime, gracias, clothier.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements 2003/11/12 17:36:34 (permalink)
    McDonald's---Fifty??!! Wow! OK, it's time to confess. I end up at Mickey D's about once a year. Always on really, really bad days. We had layoffs at work last holiday season. It was awful. I often brown bag it, but had to escape that day---to just get away from it all. I was sick, drained. Where did I lunch? Yep...McDonald's. A Big Mac and Fries and an Orange Drink. The meal didn't make me feel any better, but I thought it would. All those old TV commercials obviously made their impression. McDonald's was gonna make it OK.

Today is easily the worst day of the year for us. We're building a home and got some crummy land-related news. The wife is out tonight, and I'm trying to decide on dinner. Even before seeing this post, I was thinking about McD's? What is it about McDonald's and the belief it can lift an emotional dirge? Fortunately, there's some pretty good left-over pasta in the fridge. I'll heat it up. Yeah, I'll heat it up. Excuse me.

EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements 2003/11/12 19:49:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by i95

quote:

You know, after re-looking at this particular post and resulting responses, I've begun to think that EliseT's inquiry was really a "beard" regarding her nupitals and has absolutely NOTHING to do with food.

It appears that she's asking in code as to whether she should go forth and marry her "1950s" born suitor has he represents a "golden era"; or whether she should tie the knot with her "1980s" born lover whom she wonders may be "too new to qualify."

Folks, we've all been had by this deliberate ruse! And all at the expense of a double-dipping L.A. minx. Personally, I'm annoyed, disgusted and, quite frankly, a little turned-on.

You go, girl !!!!!

So, subconsciously, everything is really just food to me? Hmmm. But you know, Freud, sometimes a red hot is just a red hot.
    i95
    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements 2003/11/12 20:16:09 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by i95

quote:

You go, girl !!!!!

So, subconsciously, everything is really just food to me? Hmmm. But you know, Freud, sometimes a red hot is just a red hot.

...and sometimes it isn't. - Jung
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements 2003/11/12 22:43:13 (permalink)
    The Glorious Dumpling has now become a Double Chili Cheeseburger!!!!

All Hail EliseT!

She adds the most humor to this site. She's one hell of a woman.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Roadfood Age Requirements 2003/11/13 01:34:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

The Glorious Dumpling has now become a Double Chili Cheeseburger!!!!

All Hail EliseT!

She adds the most humor to this site. She's one hell of a woman.

Thank you for congratulating such a dubious honor.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1