Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2130
2009/09/19 20:51:10 (permalink)

Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester

I don't have full publishing capabilities at my fingertips, but this was one of the eating tour highlights.  We had the East Shelby Fire Department put together a traditonal roadside Cornell Chicken BBQ for our bus.  It was complete with homemade pies, salted potatoes and beers.  Epic!  More details to follow.

post edited by Stephen Rushmore Jr. - 2009/09/19 20:56:41

31 Replies Related Threads

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/19 21:07:17 (permalink)
    There was not a weak spot in the entire tour of Rochester.  Every stop was a winner, but I thought the Cornell chicken was the highlight of a very strong group.  A thoroughly perfect Upstate NY lagniappe!
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/19 21:39:46 (permalink)
    Grrrrr!  RazzzleFrazzle!!!  Dagnabit!!  I had a decent Rosh Hashanah dinner tonight, but I'da mugged somebody for a firehouse Cornell chicken bar-b-que!!!!!!!!
    david_winograd@mac.com
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/19 22:58:41 (permalink)
    What a perfect day! 

I may be in the minority but I thought the smoked brisket at the Dinosaur BBQ was the best thing proffered. The ribs were also wonderful but the pulled pork, which many liked, seemed a bit mushy and didn't have the taste I expected, however when it comes to this stuff, I'm a Georgia Pig kinda guy.

The Garbage Plate at Nick Tahou's seemed to me to be more of a novelty than a long term memory. Word had it that is much much better around 2am totally inebriated, so next time I'll have to try it that way, but around noon, it reminded me of a summer camp favorite which they lovingly referred to as 'food of the week in review'. I'm glad it was on the list though.

The LDR Char Pit was a revelation and a magic trick on a roll. I'm sure that lots of places use thinly sliced high quality meat, but how the heck did they get something so simple to taste that good. I don't know what was in the Char Pit but it wasn't wood and there didn't seem to be any charcoal around. It was the brightest light of the day for me. Utterly delicious, perfect texture and made rare to perfection. I'm sure that they would have told me had I asked, but like the best magic tricks, I really didn't want to know how they pulled it off. Magic works for me. The onion rings were fresh and perfectly deep fried. Everyone smiled. 

After that we were sorely in need of exercise, so we walked the 30 feet to Abbott's Frozen custard. Yeah, that's enough exercise thank you. I'm running out of adjectives, but this was no chain custard. Utterly delicious and it being located close to a beautiful park bordering the river under a gorgeous blue sky made my Snicker Sundae taste even better. 

Then came the surprise. We were driven to the East Shelby Fire Fighters Cornell Chicken BBQ . Just drool over the picture that Stephen posted. Having gone to school in Ithaca, NY I knew about Cornell Chicken and this stuff was great. What was maybe even better was the county fair atmosphere. People were selling tons of car parts, tie die stuff, and assorted chazzarai. We bought some Kellogg's branded cereal bowls in finest melamine and I found a pair of jeans in my size for $3. 

The people on the bus, outside of going up and down, all seemed like we had known each other for years. That, and I won't discount the free beer, made the day just flow and flow is a good thing. 

Upon our return to the hotel, 17 stalwarts got back on the bus and got off at Antoinette's Candy. This was a combination ice cream parlor and fancy candy store. It looked like it came out of Hello Dolly by way of Santorini Greece. This is a guess, but a good one since although someone scooping ice cream didn't know where the pictures were from, she did say that the owner was Greek, so I'm calling Santorini.

I don't know how to post a photo, since I think this is my first Roadfood.com post, but it was all polished glass and Victorian looking fixtures with some Greek looking artifacts, a picture of a donkey and a lovely picture of a white building surrounded by an Azure sea which everyone who has ever visited Santorini has photographed. 

The ice cream contained 14% fat and was ultimately creamy. After today I feel that I contain 100% fat.

Tomorrow Buffalo, but at the moment I feel like Mr. Creosote without an English accent. 

No surprise that I'm skipping dinner. Not even a wafer-thin mint. 
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/20 08:55:11 (permalink)
    Great start with all stops winners!  Congratulations to Stephen and the Tean for putting a successful day together with a great surprise ending!

Billyboy - you were missed!

Eleven of us ventured back out to Steve's Pig & Ox Roast in Lackawanna for more beef on a Weck as well as Lamb on a Weck and other delights.  We finished the night also at Antoinette's loading up on ice cream and condies!

Day two here we come!
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2130
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/20 09:00:40 (permalink)
    Attached is a group photo in Rochester

JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/20 09:58:09 (permalink)
    ChiTownDiner

Eleven of us ventured back out to Steve's Pig & Ox Roast in Lackawanna for more beef on a Weck as well as Lamb on a Weck and other delights.  We finished the night also at Antoinette's loading up on ice cream and condies!

What a surprise Gregg.  I'll check with Captain Renault to figure out who was with you.
    JonBattle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/20 09:58:57 (permalink)
    Great pic Stepehen..the chicken was fabulous. Kudos to you for pulling this off.....JonB
    post edited by JonBattle - 2009/09/20 10:00:20
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/20 10:06:32 (permalink)
    Yaaaay!   It looks like a fabulous time is being had by all.
    david_winograd@mac.com
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/20 19:54:35 (permalink)
    The second day of marathon eating started an hour later at 10:30 when we piled on the bus, already old friends and were on our way to Schwabl's for my second bout with Beef on a Weck. The first was a few nights ago when a bunch of us found our way to Eckl's which allowed me to have a base  to compare to Schwabl's.

I think I liked the beef better at Eckl's since it was as rare as I wanted, but Schwabl's was better. The weck at Schwabl's  was less salty, letting the caraway flavor come through, but the gestalt of what was on the plate sold me. The sandwich came with luscious and rich cole slaw along with warm and wonderful German potato salad. The combination of flavors was what made it special to me. Our beef came out a bit too well done since we were sitting in the back and got served last from a second hunk of beef. That's not to say it wasn't wonderful...it just could have been more wonderful. I'm splitting hairs though since if one was a 99 the other was 99.1.

Next we were on to Ted's Hot Dogs another Buffalo institution. The dogs were cooked over charcoal and you could taste it in the meat which was moderately spiced encased in skin that gave a good crunch when biting into it. I shared a footlong with everything on it, which meant, hot sauce, relish, mustard, pickles and onions. You can toss a frank on a grill but it won't come out anything like Ted's. They have it down to a science. This was one of the best grilled dogs I've ever had. Along with it we had an order of onion rings that were anything but round. They were more like an uncompressed onion loaf and admirably treaded the thin line between screaming taste and a bit of grease. This was good stuff. We had loganberry juice, which we were advised to try. Ehh. Sort of like Kool-Aid (which we were told by Michael, it would be like) but with soul. Not my favorite libation, but you never know until you try, do you?

A Roadfoodie has to be brave so we teased death by dodging cars to get across the street and walk the minute or two to Andersan's Frozen Custard for a scoop of pumpkin custard. I felt that this beat Abbotts, in Rochester by a mile. The setting wasn't as nice, but you can't eat the scenery. It was smooth, creamy and perfect. 

From there we went to Parkside Candy, a Victorian jewel box of an ice cream parlor and candy store. I had a sundae with maple walnut ice cream, hot fudge, whipped cream and nuts. It was impressive, but Antoinette's, the side trip we took yesterday, was better when it came to hard ice cream. At Antoinette's the whipped cream was pushed out of bag and the ice cream was much creamier. It must have been the high fat content. 

The candy at Parkside I felt was a bit better. The sponge candy which is the only thing I really had to compare, was ambrosia. It had its own table since I'm sure they sell tons of it. If you haven't tasted one, I can liken it to a Butterfinger made by God. Perfect milk chocolate encased in spun sugar, or at least that's what it seemed to be. I walked out with half a pound of this manna, as if I needed it. 

Lastly was the Anchor Bar where the Buffalo wing was invented in 1964. We were shepherded into a side room and sat at tables where were brought platters of mild and medium wings with hot sauce on the side. The wings had a great crunch and weren’t at all greasy, the downside of many wings. The taste was exquisite. I don't know if they were the best wings I'd ever eaten but if not, they were damned close. It really went well with a couple of pints of Guinness which it turned out WAS what my right hand was for. I would have preferred being out in the bar, but since this was the day of a the big game, which seems to happen most Sundays, we didn't have that opportunity since many Buffalo natives make it a habit of sucking up wings with their football. 

On the bus back, JoJo from Miami, in a nine year long distance relationship with Michael from Hawaii, proposed marriage over the microphone. No pressure there  and he accepted to great applause. This seemed like a perfect ending to a perfect Roadfood trip. 

The next one is  back in New Orleans at the end of March, when Roadfood vendors, not just from Louisiana but from all over the country will be showing their wares. This just keeps getting better and better. 

I hope to see many of you there.

David 
    post edited by david_winograd@mac.com - 2009/09/20 20:37:15
    sbp
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/20 20:42:40 (permalink)
    Nice! I'm a Buffalo expat, was back there 2 weeks ago and did what all Buffalo natives do when making the pilgrimage: Ted's, Duffs for wings, Andersons for custard and beef on weck, then pick up a few pounds of sponge candy to bring home.  Ted's Hot Dogs are incomparable -- and a completely different flavor profile than NY style dogs. 

Every adult who tries sponge candy is blown away.  I think it's because the filling is caramelized sugar (puffed up by adding vinegar and baking soda, just like the science fair "volcano" when we were kids).  The "burning" of the sugar makes it much less sweet and adds a lot of complex flavors.  Very addictive. 

Buffalo is pretty unique in having so many local specialties.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8309
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/20 21:20:53 (permalink)
    Excellent!  What a great turnout.

Looking forward to more!
    nagle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/20 23:19:01 (permalink)
    Just wanted to post a heartfelt thanks to Stephen and the others involved in organizing a great weekend of touring Roadfood restaurants.

And also want to add that we enjoyed meeting and chatting with all the great folks we encountered the last 2 days. You all made our first Roadfood trip great.

Cheers
    John & Jen
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/21 08:00:04 (permalink)
    I don't have a lot to add here as I have my own trip report thread but I must say that I enjoyed reconnecting with old friends and making new ones. Such a diverse group of people who shared my interest in art and architecture,U.S. presidential stuff, and historical things in the area. Not to mention the shared interest in regional food specialties. A very fun gathering.
    post edited by mr chips - 2009/10/05 10:35:07
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/21 08:53:45 (permalink)
    billyboy

Grrrrr!  RazzzleFrazzle!!!  Dagnabit!!  .......Cornell chicken bar-b-que!!!!!!!!

billyboy,

You sound very much like a frustrated fan of Pogo Possum, specifically Albert the Alligator.

mark

MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5475
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/22 04:57:39 (permalink)
    Picky Peggy and I made our 1st official RF tour. We both really enjoyed it! We weren't able to ride the bus because of PPs need for oxygen tanks, so we followed along in our car loaded with extra tanks. I didn't know about the marriage proposal until just now. I did met JoJo and her fiance. Congratulations you two and good luck!

I got to meet several of our members for the 1st time and reacquainted with a couple others.

I met Stephen Rushmore and Mark Bruno, Bruce & Sue, Amy & Chris all for the 1st time. I'd met Michael and Jane Stern a few years ago. It was great to finally meet these people. I've now met all of the management team except Tony Bad and Uncle Vic.

Charleston in Feb and New Orleans in March!
    Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 331
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/22 10:21:17 (permalink)
    This was my first Roadfood Tour and it was great! I enjoyed meeting everyone -- thanks for your company and for making the tour fun.
    I think I am in the minority, but my favorite stop was Ted's.  I had the footlong with hot sauce and the onion rings.  They were both excellent, 'tho the white hot (porker?) at LDRs was also very good.  Abbott's was my favorite ice cream -- the great scenery across the street from Lake Ontario was a bonus.  The salt potatoes at Dinosaur were also very good, as was the dark chocolate-covered sponge candy at Antoinette's.

I left the tour at Abbott's to spend Saturday night with my nephew and his family in Rochester, so I missed the Cornell chicken and pies.  My nephew drove me back to Buffalo early Sunday morning so I could re-join the tour.

This being my first tour, I wasn't sure how my appetite would hold out.  I tried to adhere to the advice about portions and taking just a few bites, and I was fine the first day.  However, the three ice-cream stops on the second day (Anderson's, Parkside, Antoinette's) did me in.  Or, it might have been the entire footlong and onion rings at Ted's!

I had a great time and am looking forward to the next tour...

Karen
    Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 331
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/22 10:23:32 (permalink)
    MikeS. 

....Charleston in Feb and New Orleans in March!

Mike,

Charleston, WV?  What is the date, and what are the stops?

Karen
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/22 10:37:46 (permalink)
    Ivyhouse

MikeS. 

....Charleston in Feb and New Orleans in March!

Mike,

Charleston, WV?  What is the date, and what are the stops?

Karen

Karen,

as much as I'd love to return to Charleston WV, it's actually going to be Charleston SC
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/22 17:54:19 (permalink)
    Karen, it was a pleasure to meet you. Sorry to confuse you with the Charleston location.

This will be an unofficial RF trip. Al the Mayor and Paul Sundancer7 and a few others started a group they call the Glee club. Every Presidents day weekend they meet somewhere. The group grows every year from what I hear.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4564
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/22 19:42:11 (permalink)
    MikeS.

Picky Peggy and I made our 1st official RF tour. We both really enjoyed it! We weren't able to ride the bus because of PPs need for oxygen tanks, so we followed along in our car loaded with extra tanks. I didn't know about the marriage proposal until just now. I did met JoJo and her fiance. Congratulations you two and good luck!

I got to meet several of our members for the 1st time and reacquainted with a couple others.

I met Stephen Rushmore and Mark Bruno, Bruce & Sue, Amy & Chris all for the 1st time. I'd met Michael and Jane Stern a few years ago. It was great to finally meet these people.

I've now met all of the management team except Tony Bad

You're not missing much
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/25 23:19:33 (permalink)
    LOL!
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1878
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/09/26 01:41:47 (permalink)

Hello all ,

Looks like everyone had a great time . !!!

Benzee
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/10/03 00:48:57 (permalink)
    I just got back from a long, strange trip to the Tarheel State ( trip report eventually ), so this is the first chance that I've had to post about the Buffalo/Rochester bus tour, but I want to say what a wonderful time I had that weekend. Fantastic food shared with a great bunch of people. Some of the places were better than others, of course ( I thought that the beef on weck at Schwabl's was superior to the one at Eckl's ), but there wasn't a single turkey among all the stops. Many thanks to Jane, Michael, Steven, and everyone else who worked so long and so hard to make the weekend so memorable.       
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/10/03 20:14:23 (permalink)
    Bob,

I'm glad to see that you made it back from the North Carolina trip right on the (tar) heels of the Buffalo / Rochester roadfood tour.  It was great to see you here in Buffalo, and I'm looking forward to seeing the NC trip report.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/10/04 22:00:51 (permalink)
    Rob, I got back from North Carolina safe and sound, but totally wiped out ( I set out for NC roughly 24 hours after getting home from Buffalo, and that's a mistake that I won't make again... twelve out of thirteen days on the road is just too much. ) I've spent most of the last three days visiting Snoozeville ( somewhere near Bluefield WV, I think  ), and I'm finally starting to feel like myself again. Other than the Contingent gathering in Milwaukee on Oct. 18th, I plan on sticking close to home to recharge my batteries until February's Glee Club gathering in Charleston. Here's a few of my photos from the bus tour, starting with a shot of one of the most suspicious-looking bunch of characters that I've ever laid eyes on...
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/10/04 22:31:42 (permalink)
    This is either a warning or an invitation, I'm not quite sure which.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/10/04 22:46:25 (permalink)
    Here's yours truly doing what comes naturally, being a chick magnet.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/10/04 22:58:58 (permalink)
    And finally, here's Mariton informing Michael Stern of buffetbuster's well-hidden addiction to Big Macs and Whoppers.   
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Roadfood Eating Tour Sneak Peak - Rochester 2009/10/04 23:15:20 (permalink)
    mariton and Michael standing in front of the Crisis Pregnancy center. Are you sure she is talking about Big Macs and Whoppers???
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1