Roadfood Hall Of Fame

Author
susanll
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1077
2009/02/15 17:42:48 (permalink)

Roadfood Hall Of Fame

There should be a HOF award, nominated by members.  Perhaps a special gallery where their pictures/names are displayed.  Trip reports to true Roadfood spots, pictures to document and/or commentary would be required.

What you think?

27 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10488
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/15 17:58:37 (permalink)
    susanll-
    I remember a thread on a similar subject several years ago.  One question that was raised is should this Hall of Fame only be for restaurants that are closed or places that are still in business.

Here is the old thread:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=27083&high=groover

BTW, I think it is a great idea!
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/02/15 18:04:51
    susanll
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/15 19:45:34 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

susanll-
    I remember a thread on a similar subject several years ago.  One question that was raised is should this Hall of Fame only be for restaurants that are closed or places that are still in business.

Here is the old thread:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=27083&high=groover

BTW, I think it is a great idea!

I didn't mean restaurants.  That is moving target.  I was talking about the Roadies on this forum.  There are some that out do themselves reporting and the rest (me) enjoy what we see and read. 
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 07:42:38 (permalink)
    Love the idea of a roadfood hall of fame. And my first nominee would be Buffetbuster, my second, Ayersian and my third, Mayor Al. And for the technical Oscar, Stephen Rushmore.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 08:25:46 (permalink)
    mr chips-
    I am very flattered for the compliment.  But, I'm not so sure that an individual Roadfood Hall of Fame is a good idea.  It would almost assuredly lead to some hurt feelings and possibly pit Roadfooders against each other.  Like we have recently seen with the ratings system.

Now, if we are talking restaurants, I have some great suggestions! 
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 08:49:50 (permalink)
    I agree, with Mr. Chip's nominations- However I wouldn't hesitate to nominate myself for standing my ground on REGIONALITY.

By the way, Ayersian and I had an interesting conversation about this at Doe's last week. If anyone's interested I'll elaborate.
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2009/02/20 08:51:05
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4609
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 08:53:14 (permalink)
    Glorify food. 

Glorify eateries

Don't glorify RF members
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 08:53:31 (permalink)
    buffetbuster...I'm not so sure that an individual Roadfood Hall of Fame is a good idea.  It would almost assuredly lead to some hurt feelings and possibly pit Roadfooders against each other. 

In that case, I accept.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 08:59:55 (permalink)
    TJ Jackson

Don't glorify RF members

Oh,  why not.....My recollections may be blurry, but there are a select few  roadfooders who've been glorified in the past.
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1769
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 09:01:26 (permalink)
    Places and "stuff" are fine, but if we start putting in "folks" are we going to get into another Star/Points fiasco?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 09:01:56 (permalink)
    I tend to agree with BuffetBuster. The object of our traveling food tours is to Meet, as well as Eat. We have met and made lasting friendships with a great number of folks around the country while on our trips. I wouldn't want anyone to think it was being done to score points on a popularity poll.
      Honestly, I wish I had begun the "formal" roadfood search earlier in life.  I know that today I could not keep up the pace that BB does when he is on the "Pie Trail". Same with my friend ChiTwnDnr, he is a real 'Pro' when on the trail for good food!. When it comes to intensity, these two guys have the "fever" ! Ayersian and several others do a wonderful job with their food photography. I really enjoy the "themed" reports like DavyD's Quest for the BPT.
       Another favorite happens when several folks record "their version" of a get-together. It is amazing for me to read of the many things I miss out on when we each do "our own thing" on one of these weekends (like the recent Memphis trip). 
        We enjoy the trips we make and certainly are happy to host any visitors to the Louisville area too.
      We find a lot of satisfaction in the exchanges we have enjoyed over the years, and hope to be able to continue this fun for a long time.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 09:22:02 (permalink)
    My feelings exactly, Al. When the concept of a Roadfooders Hall of Fame was first proposed, I liked the idea. There's a number of roadfooders who've gone "above and beyond" with their efforts, and it seemed like a good idea to recognize them for that. However, after reading about all the unpleasantness and bad feelings that the rating system has caused, I've changed my mind. A Hall of Fame, no matter how well-intentioned, could end up opening a Pandora's Box that can't easily be closed. As I discovered first-hand last weekend, roadfood.com is responsible for MANY close friendships among the members, and I'd hate to see anything interfere with that.   
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 09:53:45 (permalink)

It wouldnt be a hall of fame with out ellen.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3764
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 10:37:52 (permalink)
    The first rule for inclusion into this hypothetical Hall of Fame should be that one must be dead before attaining this honor.  While alive, a person has the ability to compromise their own legacy (think OJ Simpson - want to bet that the pro football HOF wants to have THAT vote again?).  What if we found out that ChiTownDiner was on "performance enhancing drugs" during his "prime" Roadfooding years?  Only selecting dead folks would also eliminate the bad feelings associated with not being selected. 

Yep....death should be the only pass into this Hall.

Now, if we're taking suggestions as to who should be killed, I have a list started! 
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 10:41:10 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

I agree, with Mr. Chip's nominations- However I wouldn't hesitate to nominate myself for standing my ground on REGIONALITY.

By the way, Ayersian and I had an interesting conversation about this at Doe's last week. If anyone's interested I'll elaborate.

I would like to nominate my buddy, wanderingjew, for the Roadfood Congeniality Award.  While in Memphis, I caught a look at his acceptance speech....

Ask not what Roadfood can do for you....but what I have done for Roadfood!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 10:47:39 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

While alive, a person has the ability to compromise their own legacy
    I'm thinking this would be a bad time to mention that I had dinner at McDonald's last night. 

(As an explanation, that is where my GF's 13 year old daughter wanted to eat before the hockey game.  Since we had less than 10 minutes to eat, I didn't argue.)

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 10:48:56 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

The Travelin Man

While alive, a person has the ability to compromise their own legacy
    I'm thinking this would be a bad time to mention that I had dinner at McDonald's last night. 

(As an explanation, that is where my GF's 13 year old daughter wanted to eat before the hockey game last night.  Since we had less than 10 minutes to eat, I didn't argue.)

You have a new girlfriend???

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 10:50:26 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

wanderingjew

I would like to nominate my buddy, wanderingjew, for the Roadfood Congeniality Award.  While in Memphis, I caught a look at his acceptance speech....

Ask not what Roadfood can do for you....but what I have done for Roadfood!

Hey,

No one ever said I was shy in expressing my opinions!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 10:57:35 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Hey,

No one ever said I was shy in expressing my opinions!

Truer words have rarely been put into print!  

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 11:21:13 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

The first rule for inclusion into this hypothetical Hall of Fame should be that one must be dead before attaining this honor.  While alive, a person has the ability to compromise their own legacy (think OJ Simpson - want to bet that the pro football HOF wants to have THAT vote again?).  What if we found out that ChiTownDiner was on "performance enhancing drugs" during his "prime" Roadfooding years?  Only selecting dead folks would also eliminate the bad feelings associated with not being selected. 

Now, if we're taking suggestions as to who should be killed, I have a list started! 

When you say dead do you mean as in "Dead is Dead"?

Or do you mean dead to this site?

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 11:27:06 (permalink)
    I think we would have a hard time arguing with the phrase "dead is dead," but, I am not sure that is what I INITIALLY meant.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 11:32:50 (permalink)

If "Passing Away" is part of the Criteria, I nominate  the members of the  "Donner Party" as the first  "Meet-and-Eat HOF Award " . Add to that Popeye, The Pillsbury Doughboy, and Colonel Sanders when the second round is opened!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 11:40:27 (permalink)
    I think we kinda have a HOF now----The "Filet Mignon" Designation. Most of the people that would go into the HOF ARE the Filet Mignon's.
    All of the Sports HOF entrants are measured by their statistics---500 home runs, 15,000 rushing yards, 3 Super Bowl Rings, etc. We could set the bar a little higher for number of posts beyond Filet Mignon to get into the RoadFood HOF. If you use numbers as the major criteria, it tends to remove some of the subjectivity from the process.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6411
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 12:11:28 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Not here, but maybe in person while I watch you eat a plate of lutefisk?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/20 14:11:39 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

Funny you should bring this up---as a member of the selection committee for the Oklahoma Blues Hall of Fame i can tell you that  you arguement has been presented here a lot---dead members will NOT do anything to embarrass the Hall of Fame!--but being alive wont stop you from getting IN to our Hall of Fame--heck LIVE members can be asked to perform at fundraisers!---as for a Roadfooders Hall of Fame--i think there should be a way to have one for both people and places--nominating protocols and a good selection committee are all it takes.
    MacTAC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 432
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/23 01:34:53 (permalink)
    mayor al

Add to that Popeye, The Pillsbury Doughboy, and Colonel Sanders when the second round is opened!
    Poppin' Fresh? Say it isn't so!

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6349
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/23 05:51:09 (permalink)
    If we keep it simply to departed Roadfood places, we could have categories for restaurants, diner's, fast food..etc...For example in Italian restaurants, I'd nominate Mama Leone's in NYC..in "Diner's", I'd nominate Olga's in Marlton NJ!
        This site is about the food...and memorable food that is  "no More" would be fun to remember and honor!!!
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re:Roadfood Hall Of Fame 2009/02/26 20:09:41 (permalink)
    leethebard

If we keep it simply to departed Roadfood places, we could have categories for restaurants, diner's, fast food..etc...For example in Italian restaurants, I'd nominate Mama Leone's in NYC..in "Diner's", I'd nominate Olga's in Marlton NJ!
        This site is about the food...and memorable food that is  "no More" would be fun to remember and honor!!!

Olga's? Uh...no. Maybe the Olga's of 30 years ago!

But anyway, this Hall of Fame thing. Not a good idea.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1