Hot!Roadfood Loyalty Oath?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4122
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 17:59:50 (permalink)
My name is Ed......
and I am addicted to Jack in the Box Tacos.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3010
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 18:20:35 (permalink)
It's a fact....I like Roadfood places, fast food places, fine dining places and almost anything that's left! I find it strange for anyone to criticize my likes and dislikes!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4305
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 18:22:32 (permalink)
joerogoJust recently, there was a salmonella breakout at Olive Garden from their Mexican salad...
Mexican salad...at Olive Garden?!?  Will the madness never end?

Buddy
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 18:33:10 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
I confess. I got a Sausage McMuffin at a McDonald's drive-thru this morning on my way to attempt to slay Bambi's mommy.

Did ya get her? 
cavandre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1634
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 18:37:17 (permalink)
I'm not giving up my Bang-Bang Shrimp at Bonefish grill, that is served by well-trained servers.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 18:39:52 (permalink)
At first I thought this thread was satire, I would still like to believe that it is... 

I've already accepted that the majority  of people on here just like "food"  , in fact most don't care for roadfood or any other local independent restaurants and probably haven't even gone to one  and that's ok, I know I'm probably one of the select few here that enjoys going to local independent restaurants no matter where I am...That's another one of the main reasons why I've stopped doing trip reports...

I despise chains, I hate chains.....2 or  3 or a half dozen restaurants in a confined metro area does not a chain make....

I guess I've been blessed, I can go down the six tenths of a mile of Main Street East Greenwich and find at least 10  independent local restaurants that have never left me disappointed... Don't even get me started on the rest of Rhode Island...  
I guess I'm even luckier when I travel.  Besides restaurants on Roadfood (the website or the book) I've found excellent restaurants on my own, and I'm willing to bet my 401k that had the Sterns known about these restaurants, they would get the  Stern's stamp of approval. 9 out of 10 times I've never been disappointed. 

I know others on the forum are just as critical (if not more so)as I am, in fact all of you would be completely shocked and surprised if I started mentioning names.

If local restaurants were rubbish, they would be out of business in a heartbeat. These local restaurauteurs take pride in their product and they want to keep their customers happy.  If not, they would be out of business. Chains are consistently medocre, the serve "food in bags" have apathetic employees who do lord knows only what to the food they prepare or serve....I'd rather eat at home and prepare my own meal than go to a chain....in fact it's healthier..

Everyone else can go to their chains.. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the "local independent mom n pop rubbish"

post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/12/05 18:41:25
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18879
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 18:41:44 (permalink)
joerogo

Michael Hoffman
I confess. I got a Sausage McMuffin at a McDonald's drive-thru this morning on my way to attempt to slay Bambi's mommy.

Did ya get her? 

Nope. I might have but the rain washed the Ark too close and I had to leave.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2767
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 19:20:47 (permalink)
mayor al
I really think that a person's likes or dislikes are highly 'personal' and for someone else to disparage the original person because their viewpoints differ is unacceptable social behavior...

Mr. Mayor,

That was the point of my starting this thread. I saw some comments in another thread about a member choosing to enjoy food at a chain restaurant that I considered to be disrespectful. I don't think anyone's food choices are something that they should be expected to apologize for and I was willing to admit my culinary opinions and choices that might be unpopular at this forum.

For many people my age, that McDonald's cheeseburger or KFC drumstick has the same emotional-taste reaction that my father's generation had to their mother's meatloaf or picked beets. It may not be the best in the world, but it brings back a happy familiarity.

Jim
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2518
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 19:25:23 (permalink)
JRPfeff

pnwchef

... This is just the beginning of a new era of quality made to order food ......watch and see, within the next year, you will see people on this site bragging about some of the quality foods served at their favorite fast food chain restaurants..........pnwc

That has happened already at a barbecue forum I participate in.

Arby's Brisket Sandwich resulted in I am nearly in shock... A member claimed it was the best brisket sandwich he has ever eaten.

Jeff, if there was one chain restaurant I thought would go out of business, it would have been Arby's. I have never seen a company come out with so many loosing ideas. I always thought Roast beef would be an easy food item to serve on a bun. When I had Arby's Roast beef, I wasn't even sure it was meat, never mind Roast beef. I think the FF Restaurants are getting better methods of reheating and holding their food. If they are making a good quality BBQ Beef sandwich, the secret would be to fail safe it, so the product could be heated, and served to the customer at a top quality and good presentation. This one product could revive Arby's and send them down a new FF chain road that's named Arby's BBQ.......Thx for the link Jeff...........Bill
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 19:41:40 (permalink)
JRPfeff

mayor al
I really think that a person's likes or dislikes are highly 'personal' and for someone else to disparage the original person because their viewpoints differ is unacceptable social behavior...

Mr. Mayor,

That was the point of my starting this thread. I saw some comments in another thread about a member choosing to enjoy food at a chain restaurant that I considered to be disrespectful.

I completely and totally disagree.. 
Like I previously said, although most people on here just like "food" whether it's chain food, burritos at the 7/11 or swanson's TV dinners, it doesn't matter, and couldn't care less about Roadfood , this is still a forum about Roadfood  so be prepared to take the heat if you're going to bring up chains outside of the fast food /chains forum (which if it were up to me wouldn't exist)  It's no different than going on to a website about guns and gun enthusiasts and start talking about water pistols....

I can't count the number of times that someone has criticized my choices or trip reports on the forum and no on batted an eye....

plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1037
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 19:42:20 (permalink)
CajunKing

plb

joerogo

One of the main reasons I avoid chains, is that you can't trust their ingredients.  Just recently, there was a salmonella breakout at Olive Garden from their Mexican salad, Joe's Crab Shack, clams from vietnam, etc.

In order to control costs, a chain would serve you anything our illustrious FDA allows, which is just about anything they want.  Just think about it, somehow, it makes financial sense to serve lettuce grown in Mexico, at an Olive Garden in Jersey.....IN THE SUMMER!   I would rather take my chances with the local joint.

With that said, I couldn't give a flying fiddlers leap where anybody else eats! 

And you trust non-chains' ingredients?  Who has more food scientists and quality control people, chains or Joe Blow's Grill?  Who is more likely to scrimp on costs, corporate chains were 35-40% of the cost is bourn by other taxpayers and the remaining by the stockholders, or Joe Blow were every penny comes from his pocket?    

I would choose joe blow over the HS aged "cooks" that throw together your meal in the back of the lab errr I mean kitchen at the local McDs or Arbys.

So you really think that the "HS aged "cooks" that throw together your meal in the back of the lab errr I mean kitchen at the local McDs or Arbys" are the ones making the decisions about what ingredients to use, how to use them, and their sources? 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 19:44:41 (permalink)
Funny you should mention burritos at a 7/11. Last week I got a burrito from a United Dairy Farmers store/gas station and it wasn't bad at all. I'd never tried one of those things before. I'll probably get one again.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2518
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 19:55:48 (permalink)
EdSails

My name is Ed......

Ed, I respect that you had the nerve to come out of the closet ( No he's not gay) lets get drunk and talk about your addiction............
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 20:09:02 (permalink)
plb

CajunKing

plb

joerogo

One of the main reasons I avoid chains, is that you can't trust their ingredients.  Just recently, there was a salmonella breakout at Olive Garden from their Mexican salad, Joe's Crab Shack, clams from vietnam, etc.

In order to control costs, a chain would serve you anything our illustrious FDA allows, which is just about anything they want.  Just think about it, somehow, it makes financial sense to serve lettuce grown in Mexico, at an Olive Garden in Jersey.....IN THE SUMMER!   I would rather take my chances with the local joint.

With that said, I couldn't give a flying fiddlers leap where anybody else eats! 

And you trust non-chains' ingredients?  Who has more food scientists and quality control people, chains or Joe Blow's Grill?  Who is more likely to scrimp on costs, corporate chains were 35-40% of the cost is bourn by other taxpayers and the remaining by the stockholders, or Joe Blow were every penny comes from his pocket?    

I would choose joe blow over the HS aged "cooks" that throw together your meal in the back of the lab errr I mean kitchen at the local McDs or Arbys.

So you really think that the "HS aged "cooks" that throw together your meal in the back of the lab errr I mean kitchen at the local McDs or Arbys" are the ones making the decisions about what ingredients to use, how to use them, and their sources? 

Come on PLB, you really can't be serious?

It's the "food scientists", as you call them, that scare the heck out of me.  Really, please, take the time to question your favorite chain restaurant on the country of origin of their products.  These people go in their test kitchens and design a product, then, in order for it to taste the same at all locations, the processing begins.  Because cost is THE major factor, again, somehow it makes sense to get lettuce from Mexico, garlic from China, seafood from wherever, etc.  Blend together, add the necessary stabilizers, and preservatives, freeze and ship.  The HS Chefs need only thaw, heat and serve.  

Also, chains add little to the local economy.  They are takers not givers. They can build a million dollar building without buying a box of pop rivets locally.  The local restaurant owner is always pumping his/her money back into the local economy.

But, that's just me.  I understand there are other opinions.(kinder gentler joerogo) 
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4122
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 20:10:52 (permalink)
pnwchef

EdSails

My name is Ed......

Ed, I respect that you had the nerve to come out of the closet ( No he's not gay) lets get drunk and talk about your addiction............

From Junior High school on, that was always some of the best times to have some Jack tacos. " />
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4609
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 20:20:38 (permalink)
There are some folks here that simply reject, despite the evidence otherwise (including but not limited to declarations by the Sterns), that chain food can be roadfood

All you can do in such cases is shake your head sadly and move on, or laugh. Your choice

There's really no middle ground for discussion of roadfood when one of the tenets of what roadfood is (or rather, what it can be) is summarily rejected by one of the parties to the discussion

Me?  I find that really good food is rare, whether the eatery is a chain or a mom-n-pop, and so I treasure it when I find it regardless of whether the eatery is a chain or not

That said, I wish I had Dale's luck - I dont even have 5 (much less 10) mom-n-pop with high quality eats near me; and I dont think I could name a neighborhood in Cincinnati that could legitimately make such a claim 
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2013/12/05 21:17:49
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 20:37:03 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

That said, I wish I had Dale's luck - I dont have 10 nearby mom-n-pop with high quality eats near me. 

TJ,

Not only are they near me, they're walking distance from me .

felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3616
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 20:39:28 (permalink)
Well, shoot. I typed a huge post with two separate quotes, and POOF! I'm taking too many pain meds to type it all out again.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 20:56:18 (permalink)
ED-  I share your addiction to J-I-B Tay-Koes !! Had the habit for 50 years (or more). It is difficult now , as the closest JIB is in Nashville, and we don't get there very often.

There is nothing like a 500 mile ride on I-40 from Barstow, CA to Gallup,NM with a full tank of gas, a sack of JIB Tacos, and a Sonic Hiway 44 Cherry-Limeade slush !  Now, that's a pleasure ride
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 21:00:07 (permalink)
Good ol Barstow....

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 21:05:47 (permalink)
wanderingjew

I wish it were so here

I really liked your trip reports, tho I indeed chided you for skipping (for example) great pizza in Phoenix and Atlanta.  I knew there was no chance in hell of you going to those places, but I have to keep ribbing you for skipping great eats

At least you have tried places like In-N-Out and judged what you had on its actual merits or lack thereof, rather than pulling out the broad brush and making ridiculously narrow minded and over the top statements like "The HS Chefs need only thaw, heat and serve".  Got to give you that.
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2013/12/05 21:15:06
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 21:07:51 (permalink)
mayor al
as the closest JIB is in Nashville

Cincinnati is a full hours drive closer to you

http://www.urbanspoon.com...-in-the-Box-Cincinnati  

post edited by TJ Jackson - 2013/12/05 21:19:26
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2767
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 21:31:59 (permalink)
wanderingjew

TJ Jackson

That said, I wish I had Dale's luck - I dont have 10 nearby mom-n-pop with high quality eats near me. 

TJ,

Dale,

Just to complicate things ... per the Stern's definition circa 1986, those 10 city places you mention are not Roadfood, they are Goodfood. The distinction was relevant to me on my cross-country drive this year. There are very few restaurants left in the Roadfood books that are near the highway - the original definition. Most are in cities and towns. The definition in my book from that time (Roadfood and Goodfood) did not overtly limit Roadfood based on the restaurant ownership.  Goodfood, however, was limited to"local," which I concede would eliminate chains.

Jim
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 21:36:16 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

wanderingjew

I wish it were so here

I really liked your trip reports, tho I indeed chided you for skipping (for example) great pizza in Phoenix and Atlanta.  I knew there was no chance in hell of you going to those places, but I have to keep ribbing you for skipping great eats

At least you have tried places like In-N-Out and judged what you had on its actual merits or lack thereof, rather than pulling out the broad brush and making ridiculously narrow minded and over the top statements like "The HS Chefs need only thaw, heat and serve".  Got to give you that.

Are you that obsessed with me?  Why do you feel the need to follow me around this site?  Not something an adult would do. 

I'm not going to bother telling you, again, what I think of you, but I am going to ask the Mod's to get you off my back.(The kinder and gentler joerogo) 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 21:38:21 (permalink)
wanderingjew

TJ Jackson

TJ,

Heck, Seattle is within walking distance for you.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10356
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 21:42:43 (permalink)
I like everything about 5 Guys except the Prices. Ridiculous!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 21:54:19 (permalink)
Jim

The Roadfood and Goodfood   book  was my original roadfood book, which I actually discovered in 1990... It's all local and regional....I'm specifically referring to both at home. When I travel, I prefer local but regional fare
MH

Main Street E.G. begins  just under half a mile from my condo and is just over half a mile long- so at it's furthest it's only about a mile away, so yes it is walking distance.

In fact I think this is where we are going to go to lunch on Saturday, its our newest favorite lunch spot in town.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 21:54:20 (permalink)
What's funny is how many folks assume those cooking at fast food places are high school kids. While there are some high school kids, most people working at fast food restaurants are grownups, often with a college education, who are doing so to support their families. I'm sure it depends on the job market in your area, but around here you're more likely to be asked if you want fries with that by a college graduate in their 30's with a spouse and children than a kid. I know the McDonald's where my niece's husband cooks (he's 30, wife and three kids) doesn't allow high school kids to work the grill.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 21:58:06 (permalink)
JRPfeff

Dale,

Just to complicate things ... per the Stern's definition circa 1986, those 10 city places you mention are not Roadfood, they are Goodfood. The distinction was relevant to me on my cross-country drive this year. There are very few restaurants left in the Roadfood books that are near the highway - the original definition. Most are in cities and towns. The definition in my book from that time (Roadfood and Goodfood) did not overtly limit Roadfood based on the restaurant ownership.  Goodfood, however, was limited to"local," which I concede would eliminate chains.

Jim

So to see if I'm understanding (bear with me, I'm a little off today), Roadfood was originally defined as food found near the highway? In which case, most FF places would qualify, whereas most Mom & Pop places would not, at least currently. Interesting!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Loyalty Oath? 2013/12/05 22:02:15 (permalink)
felix4067

JRPfeff

Dale,

Jim

So to see if I'm understanding (bear with me, I'm a little off today), Roadfood was originally defined as food found near the highway? In which case, most FF places would qualify, whereas most Mom & Pop places would not, at least currently. Interesting!

Completely incorrect....that was not the original definition of Roadfood.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1